George C. Davis Glass Lantern Slides
George C. Davis Glass Lantern Slides
The Davis Photographic Records contain approximately 12,200 black and white images, negatives, glass plate negatives and glass lantern slides. Black and white prints vary in size between 5"x7", 8"x10" and various oversized prints; 8"x10" glass plate negatives; 5"x7" and 8"x10" negatives; 3"x5" glass lantern slides. All Davis images can be dated circa 1904-1968. There are images with Davis' signature that predate 1904, but they are believed to have been taken by Chandler Studio, the photography firm bought out by Davis in 1904. Although the majority of Davis' images are marked with his signature in the lower right corner, it is important to note that not all of the images are marked. Davis rarely recorded identifying information on the images. For this reason, many of his images are unidentifiable. The majority of images from the Davis Collection seen on this database are street scenes, businesses and points of interest in Roanoke and its vicinity where it was possible to at least minimally identify them. While the Virginia Room has a large number of portraits from Davis' collection, they are not represented here. An index of all identified portraits is available in the Virginia Room.
George C. Davis Photography
Roanoke Public Libraries
Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.
View of buildings along Rorer Avenue.
PLayground in Norwich neighborhood.
Houses on Maiden Lane.
Melrose Avenue. Exact location unknown.
Vacant store fronts in the 100 block of Salem Avenue.
View of Staunton Avenue near 24th Street.
Various business signs along E. Campbell Avenue.
Fire Escape diagram depicting a "state-of-the-art" fire escape containing a slide.
View of two men standing beside Watts Springs.
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.
View of pond in Elmwood Park.
Though not in Roanoke, this Longview, Washington neighborhood scene was used as an example in John Nolen's plan for Roanoke.
Unidentified building near downtown.
View of Hotel Patrick Henry from Elmwood Park
Windsor Avenue in Raleigh Court
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.
Scene in Elmwood Park with a view of Patrick Henry Hotel.
Scene in Elmwood Park viewing the rose garden.
View of Salem Avenue east from Second Street, SW. Buildings lines street with painted advertisements.
Image of a building being demolished.
Image of a building being demolished with coat laying on ladder.
View of a single family dwelling made of brick.
View of Patrick Henry Hotel from Elmwood Park.
View of advertisement signs hanging from the front of buildings along South Jefferson Street.
Derelict home in Northeast. Exact location unknown.
Side view of the Walnut Avenue and Jefferson Street bridges.
A view of 10th Street NW at Williamson Road and the Oakland School.
North entrance to Shaffer's Crossing.
View of several homes in Southeast.
Side view of State & City Bank, once located at approximately 206 Jefferson Street. This photo was taken after a building was razed.
Northwest corner at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.
Image of a tanker style truck.
View of people playing recreational games in Melrose Park.
View of West Campbell Avenue at 8th Street intersection, 1928.
A view of Patterson Avenue.
"Play Day" at Maher field 12 May 1928.
Chamber of Commerce map showing roads to Roanoke.
The tennis courts once in Elmwood Park.
A panoramic sketch from Mill Mountain by Louis Ruyl of New York for the Chamber of Commerce. Caption reads, "Showing spurs of the Blue Ridge with the Alleghany Mountains in the distance, and the Roanoke bowl or amphitheater, McAfee's Knob at left,…
Roanoke Hospital at the foot of Mill Mountain. The Mill Mountain incline can be seen to the right.
Sketch of the Dog Mouth Fountain. The fountain was acquired by the city in 1898. It stands at the corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street.
View of the first Roanoke Public Library in Elmwood Park. The library was located in the Terry House, a gift to the city from the Terry Family.
View of Mill Mountain and the surrounding Roanoke Valley
View from Williamson Road of Virginia Railway Station. Jefferson Street bridge in background.
View of the rear of the Hotel Ponce De Leon, with the remainder of a building's foundation visible in foreground.
View of Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.
View of the intersection of Church Avenue and Second Street SW with the sign for the YMCA on the right.
Recreation in Highland Park
View of the spring once located in Weaver Heights Park.
View of Route 460 east of Roanoke.
View of debris behind original Hotel Ponce de Leon.
View of 9th Street from the intersection with Jamison Avenue.
View of the 600 block Montrose Avenue lined with houses.
Ruins of an episcopal church in Northeast Roanoke.
View of men working on construction downtown. Totz Department Store can be seen in the background. Totz was located at 117-119 Salem Avenue SW.
Mayor's Monument in its original location in Woodland Park at Church Avenue and Sixth Street SE, overlooking the Norfolk and Western Shops. The Mayor
Unknown location on Orange (Lynchburg) Avenue.
Panoramic view of Roanoke Valley from Route 221 on Bent Mountain at the top of the climb up the mountain just before it reaches the top.
View of Highland Park Elementary School, located at 1212 5th Street.
Approximately 132 Salem Avenue.
Melrose Park on Melrose Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets.
A view of the 300 block of Allison Avenue.
View of pond in Elmwood Park .
Aerial view of Jefferson Street looking north.
Map of City of Roanoke's Zone Plan used in Nolen Plan.
Fairacres, located at 2713 Avenham Avenue, was built in 1912 by W.C. Stephenson. It remained in the Stephenson Family until 1963, when it was purchased by the Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs. The club kept the home until 2003. It is now a private…
Map of City of Roanoke and Environs used in the Nolen plan.
Existing Conditions Map of City of Roanoke used in Nolen plan
Traffic Congestion Flyer circa 1928.
Jamison Company Bakery, formerly located at 541 Salem Avenue.
Children play under stone bridge. Location unknown.
Giles Brothers Furniture, formerly located at 108 Campbell Avenue.
Campbell Avenue as seen from the Schulte United building, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue.
Center Parkway, 9th Street SE.
Stonework etched with First National Exchange Bank.
Washington Park, located at 1610 Burrell Street.
Looking north on Grandin Road from Sherwood Avenue.
Looking east on Wasena Terrace.
Map included in John Nolen's Comprehensive Plan for the City of Roanoke.
Scene in Highland Park.
Looking east on Mountain Avenue at 4th Street intersection.
Billboards lining Eleventh Street at Moorman Avenue intersection.
View of market with truck and people on Nelson Street
Pitzer Transfer Storage Warehouse, formerly located at the corner of Franklin Road and 2nd Street.