This aerial view shows the N&W coal piers at Lamberts Point. Coal Pier 4 (center) was built in 1914. At the time of its initial construction, the pier was 1,200 feet long, 70 feet wide, and 90 feet above the water. It could empty 600 cars per day. Pier 4 was "retired" in 1963, having loaded some 200 million tons of coal since its first day of operation in 1914. In September 1963, Pier 6 replaced Pier 4.
Images of Rail: Norfolk and Western Railway by Nelson Harris
Nelson Harris; Virginia Museum of Transportation
Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.
unknown, “HNWR052,” Virginia Room Digital Collection, accessed December 3, 2023, http://www.virginiaroom.org/digital/document/HNWR052.