Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (722 total)

Davis 46.414c Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414b Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414a Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.41 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company.jpg
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 46.221 Jarrett Chewning.jpg
Jarrett Chewing Co. Inc. - 360 Luck Ave. SW George Davis in hat & light overcoat, others unidentified

Davis 45.52 Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon.jpg
Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon Works, formerly located at 10 Kirk Avenue.

Davis 45 Roanoke Machine Works.jpg
Roanoke Machine Works was founded in 1881. By 1883, the Shenandoah Valley Railroad acquired the facility. Norfolk & Western acquired the facility in 1897. From then on, it became known as the N&W Roanoke Shops. It is still an active maintenance…

Davis 44.621c Graybar Electric.jpg
Sales counter at Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.621b Graybar Electric.jpg
Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue

Davis 44.621a Graybar Electric Employees.jpg
Employees of Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.341b Fisher's Supply Employees.jpg
Unidentified employees of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.341a Fisher Supply.jpg
The interior of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.321 W.T. Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company was located at 17-19 Campbell Avenue. The W.T. Grant Company was a variety store known for its inexpensive merchandise.

Davis 44.311 Morgan-Eubank Furniture.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.31 Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.2296 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Loading dock of Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc., looking north toward intersection of Luck Avenue & 1st Street. 1st Street can be seen in background.

Davis 44.2292 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc.

Davis 44.2291 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.228 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.226 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Unidentified personnel of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.2242 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
An interior view of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.2241 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
The interior of Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.223 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. Shipping & Receiving Dept.

Davis 44.222 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing unidentified office personnel.

Davis 44.22 Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc..jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. , formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.21 Remington Rand.jpg
Remington Rand, formerly located at 502 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.16 Sunnyside Awning Co..jpg
Sunnyside Awning Company, formerly located at 621 1st Street.

Davis 44.12 ML Curley Confectionary.jpg
ML Curley Confectionery, formerly located at 23 Salem Avenue SE.

Davis 43.411 Roanoke Industrial Loan.jpg
Roanoke Industrial Loan & Thrift, formerly located at 20 Franklin Road.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.3509 Liberty Trust Building.jpg
Built in 1910 as First National Bank, the Liberty Trust Building stands at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 43.34 Terry Building.jpg
Built in 1892, the 8 story Terry Building was Roanoke's first "skyscraper". It was located on the Southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Colonial National Bank was housed in the building. Sadly, it was razed in 1927 to make room…

Davis 43.32 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank , formerly located at 302 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.3 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
Interior of First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.213 N&W General Offices.jpg
The Norfolk and Western General Offices once stood at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street. The building was destroyed by fire 4 January 1896.

Davis 43.212 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.211 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.21_N&W Office fires.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.2-1 Norfolk & Western Office Building.jpg
Norfolk & Western Regional Offices, once located at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street.

Davis 43.14 Coulter Building.jpg
The Coulter Building at 601-605 Jefferson Street. Built in 1926 and once the home of the Heironimus annex, this building now houses the Western Virginia Water Authority.

Davis 43.13 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building was located at 34 Campbell Avenue. Stone Smoke Shop sign visible in front of building. The building was razed in 1956.

Davis 43.125 AEP Office.jpg
The original AEP Office, once located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue, at night..

Davis 43.124 AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.123  AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.121 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Appalachian Power Company , located at 40 Franklin Road.

Davis 43.12 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Rear view of Appalachian Power Company as seen from Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall.jpg
Rorer Hall was built by Ferdinand Rorer in 1878 on the Northeast corner of Campbell Avenue and 3rd Street. Caption reads, "Roanoke's first thetre [sic] built by F. Rorer. Opened by John W. Sherman with his first play, "The Brothers". The building…

Davis 42.532 Academy of Music.jpg
Looking West on Salem Avenue at the Academy of Music. Built in 1892, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.531 Academy of Music.jpg
The Academy of Music was located in the 400 block of West Salem Avenue. The Academy opened 7 October 1892. After World War II, it fell into disuse and was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.53 Academy of Music.jpg
Interior of the Academy of Music. Built in 1892 on Salem Avenue near 5th Street, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was demolished in 1953.

Davis 42.521 American Theatre.jpg
Children pack the American Theatre for the Saturday Morning Children's Show. Hayden Huddleston can be seen to the left center in front of the stage.

Davis 42.52 American Theatre.jpg
The grand interior of the American Theatre. The theatre opened on 26 March 1928. Once located at 115 S. Jefferson Street, the theatre closed in 1970 and was razed in January of 1973 to make way for the First National Exchange Bank.

Davis 42.21 Stone Printing Company.jpg
The first location of Stone Printing Company on 2nd Street. The company remained in this building until it moved into 116 N. Jefferson Street in 1908. Men unidentified.

Davis 42.1 Davis Photo Company.jpg
Davis Photo Company at 104 W. Salem Avenue. George Davis stands behind car on right with arm on window frame. Other men unidentified.

Davis 4.21 American Viscose Car Parade.jpg
American Viscose car in World War I drive parade.

Davis 33.1 3rd Street Home.jpg
House located near the intersection of Luck Avenue and 3rd Street. The fire escape on the left is that of the old Lewis-Gale Hospital which stood on the corner. Both the house and the hospital have long been gone.

Davis 31.51 Terry House.jpg
The Terry House in Elmwood Park. The home was used as Roanoke's first public library until it the current structure was built in 1952. The home was used as recreational offices until it was razed in 1964.

Davis 3.15 Cows on Market.jpg
Cows on market for a livestock auction.

Davis 3.14 Cows on Market.jpg
Cows on market for a livestock auction.

Davis 3.13 1927 Roanoke Flood.jpg
Cars drive through water on Campbell Avenue in front of the Market Building.

Davis 3.12 Playing at the City Market.jpg
Old city market. Looking toward Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 3.11 Old City Market.jpg
Old City Market. Old assembly hall in background. Circa 1890.

Davis 3.1 City Market Circa 1936.jpg
A view of the City Market area looking south on Market Street.

Davis 29b Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29a Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran.jpg
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the southeast corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is now located on the site.

Davis 28.1 St Marks Lutheran.jpg
Old St. Marks Lutheran Church built by Methodists on corner of Campbell Ave. and 3rd St.

Davis 27.51 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
The Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.5 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
Interior view of Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.2 First Christian Church.jpg
First Christian Church, locate at 344 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.1 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
The First Church of Christ. Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.312 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 24.181 St Johns Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.12 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photo, the vacant building's lawn is being used for billboards. The signs include: Jamison's Chain Grocery Stores, Colonial National Bank,…

Davis 24.1 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Espiscopal Church at its Church Avenue and 2nd Street location. The building was not being used by the church at the time this photo was taken. General Outdoor Adventure Co. was using the building.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
Doors of First Baptist Church at 515 3rd Street.

Davis 2.25 Roanoke Fair.jpg
Looking north of Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue at crowd gathered for Roanoke Fair.

Davis 2.24 Elks Lodge 197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road where Anthem is now located.

Davis 2.23 J.M. Gambill.jpg
Proffit Cobbler Shop and J.M. Gambill Wholesale Grocers on Salem Avenue. Edward Franklin Proffit on left.

Davis 2.22 J. Kefauver & Son's Repository.jpg
The Kafauver Repository was a large warehouse built on the site of the present Municipal Building between 1874 and 1878 and faced Commerce St. It was known as Kefauver's Folly in that Kefauver & Son originated the Central Manufacturing Company and…

Davis 2.162 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Salem Avenue from Henry Street (now 1st). This row of storefronts included a bowling alley; liquor store,;L.A. Tolbert Cleaning, Pressing and Repairing; Brady's Bar and Restaurant; a barbershop and a pool hall.

Davis 2.16 Salem Ave.jpg
Salem Avenue at 2nd Street

Davis 2.15 Welcome.jpg
United Council of Travelers Welcome banner for a conference in Roanoke.

Davis 2.14 Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple.jpg
Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple. Campbell and Jefferson. Homes in the background. About 1888.

Davis 2.1381 SH Davis Pictures.jpg
S.H. Davis Pictures, formerly located at 136 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 2.135 Butler's Shoes.jpg
Butler's Shoes 000 Block Campbell Ave. SW

Davis 2.1342 WT Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company and McClellan Stores, formerly located 17-23 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.1341 David Kohen.jpg
David Kohen Clothing and Apparel, formerly located at 24 Campbell Avenue SW

Davis 2.134 Leggett's.jpg
Leggett's, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.1337 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1336 Campbell Ave.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1335 West Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson intersection

Davis 2.1334 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1333 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1323 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1322 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1312a Joy Shop.jpg
Joy Shop located at Jefferson and Campbell

Davis 2.12 Kazim Temple Band.jpg
Kazim Temple Band in Christmas parade. Looking NE on Jefferson Street from corner of Day Avenue.

Davis 2.112 N&W Office.jpg
Norfolk & Western Office on the 500 block of S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.111a Advance Auto.jpg
Original Advance Auto Parts, 503 S. Jefferson St.

Davis 2.1115 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1113  South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Luck Avenue intersection.

Tags:

Davis 2.1112 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Campbell Avenue intersection.

Tags:

Davis 2.111 North on Jefferson.jpg
500 Block of Jefferson Street, looking North. Night scene depicts old street lights.

Davis 2.1 NW Corner of Franklin & Jefferson.jpg
Jefferson St. and Franklin Rd. (NW corner) ca. 1922. Park Theater visible. Marquee reads, "Gloria Swanson and Rodolph Valentio in Beyond the Rocks. Building to right was vacant at the time.

Davis 19.14 YWCA.jpg
The YWCA located at the corner of Franklin Road and First Street.

Davis 18.2  Civic Center Model.jpg
An archetectural model of the Roanoke Civic Center.

Davis 16.4375 Dining Room.jpg
Waitstaff posese next to table prepared for a banquet in the Patrick Henry.

Davis 16.43 PH Ballroom.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel ballroom prepared for a banquet.

Davis 16.421 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.41a Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.414 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park and houses.

Davis 16.31 Rorer Park Hotel.jpg
Rorer Park Hotel. The hotel was purchased by the citizens of Roanoke and presented to the Alleghany Institute, a school for boys. The Institute used this structure for three years.

Davis 16.28 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke looking North.

Davis 16.2791 Writing Room.jpg
The Writing Room in Hotel Roanoke. This space is now an extension of the Pine Room Pub.

Davis 16.272 Cigar Counter.jpg
Cigar Counter in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.271 Palm Court.jpg
Palm Court in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2690 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.269 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.268 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.267 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.266 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Exterior of garage at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.263 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.26 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Night scene of the Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.23 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Company.

Davis 16.22 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Co.

Davis 16.2102 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
Hotel Roanoke shown during contruction of addition.

Davis 16.21 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke has gone through mulitple renovations, due to fire and to increase its size. This undated photo depicts the hotel in one of its many "phases". Despite the renovations, the hotel has maintained its distinctive style.

Davis 16.2091 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
An aerial view of the Hotel Roanoke. Roanoke Auditorium visible in upper right corner.

Davis 16.206 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2022 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Bird's eye view of Hotel Roanoke. Spires of St. Andrew's Cathedral can be seen in upper left corner.

Davis 16.2021 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
An early view of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.202 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke was built in 1882 by Norfolk and Western Railway.

Davis 16.2 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.1 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel at 131 Campbell Avenue. This building was constructed in 1931 on the foundation of the previous Ponce de Leon which burned in 1931.

Davis 15.23 Patrons in Reference.jpg
The reference room in the old library about 1947.

Davis 15.222 Reading & Reference Room.jpg
Interior view of Main Library reading and reference rooms when it was located in the Terry House.

Davis 15.221 Main Library Interior.jpg
Roanoke Public Library. Circulation desk and main room.

Davis 15.212 Patrons in Reference.jpg
Ladies in the reference room.

Davis 15.211 Storytime at Roanoke Public Libraries.jpg
Roanoke Public Library's children's room. November 19, 1917.

Davis 15.15 Roanoke City Library.jpg
The Main branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Davis 15.14 Old Library Building.jpg
Roanoke Public Library as seen from across Jefferson Street.

Davis 15.13 Library & Elmwood Park.jpg
Terry home in Elmwood Park shortly after its converstion to the first library. Circa 1925.

Davis 15.121 Terry House.jpg
A view of the Terry House from the driveway on Jefferson Street. The Terry House would become Roanoke's first public library in 1921.

Davis 15.12 Library Entrance.jpg
Jefferson Street entrance to the first Roanoke Public Library

Davis 15.112 Library Float.jpg
Roanoke Public Library float in a parade.

Davis 14.7 Community Hospital.jpg
Aerial view of Community Hospital. Orchard Hill is in the background.

Davis 14.6 Gill Memorial.jpg
Gill Memorial Hospital was built in 1926. It was the first hospital in Virginia exclusively providing treatment for eye, ear, nose and throat conditions. It remained in independent operation until 1976, when it was acquired by Roanoke Memorial.

Davis 14.42 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of 2nd Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. The photo…

Davis 14.41 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of Second Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. This…

Davis 12.2 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's first Post Office as seen from the East side of Henry Streeet (now 1st Street) looking toward Campbell Avenue.

Davis 12.1 Roanoke Post Office.jpg
First post office. N.E. corner of Church Ave., S.W. and 1st Street.

Davis 11.21 West End School.jpg
West End Elementary School, formerly located at 918 Campbell Avenue. In this photo, the school is nearing completion.

Davis 105.1 Diamond Jubilee.jpg
Roanoke's Diamond Jubilee celebration kicks off at the 1915 municipal building.

Davis 100 General Outdoor Advertising.jpg
General Outdoor Advertising Company was located in the old St. John's Episcopal Church on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. The church is hardly visible due to the billboard display surrounding it.

Davis 1.98 Jefferson & Elm looking south.jpg
An aerial view of Elmwood Park.

Davis 1.96B Snow in Elmwood.jpg
Snow in Elmwood Park with view of Terry House

Davis 1.96 Snow in Elmwood.jpg
Snow in Elmwood Park

Davis 1.95 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese magnolia brought from Japan by Admiral Perry. Elmwood Park Spring 1931.

Davis 1.94 Elmwood Park looking SE.jpg
Elmwood Park looking at SE corner of Bullitt Ave. and Jefferson St. About 1950. Gazebo in view.

Davis 1.93 Elmwood Park looking from SW corner.jpg
Elmwood Park looking from SW, at Jefferson St. and Elm Ave., corner toward Terry home in park. Tennis courts at left. About 1950.

Davis 1.921 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park looking from Southwest corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. Terry home and tennis courts visible.

Davis 1.92 Elmwood Park looking toward corner.jpg
Elmwood Park looking toward SW corner of Jefferson St. and Elm Ave.

Davis 1.91 Elmwood Park from corner.jpg
Elmwood Park from corner of Jefferson St. and Bullitt Ave.

Davis 1.822 N&W freight station.jpg
Norfolk & Western freight station. Looking SW toward downtown. View of buildings on Norfolk Ave. St. James Hotel in background.

Davis 1.323 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace Apartments, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.312 Roanoke heaviest snowfall Jefferson St.jpg
Roanoke's heaviest snowfall. Shown is Knepp & Company, formerly located at Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. Men shovel snow off of roof. View looking south.

Davis 1.255 First Street intersection t in front of AEP.jpg
First Street intersection with Franklin Road in front of AEP.

Davis 1.254 Franklin Rd.jpg
Looking toward intersection with First Street on Franklin Road. Old YWCA building and AEP both visible

Davis 1.252 Parking lot in front of AEPs Roanoke office.jpg
Parking lot in front of AEP's Roanoke Office at the corner of Franklin Road and 1st Street SW

Davis 1.251 Views looking ENE from 1st & Day.jpg
Looking ENE from 1st Street and Day Avenue.

Davis 1.25 Looking NE from 1st & Day.jpg
Looking NE across city from 1st Street and Day Avenue

Davis 1.21 Elks Carnival High Wire Act .jpg
Elks Carnival High Wire Act about 1895. Site of present Times-World building looking west towards 3rd St., St. Mark's Lutheran Church, and Rorer Hall in background. Rear of Salem Ave. building.

Davis 1.12 Aerial view of MacBain building.jpg
Aerial view taken from site of MacBain building. Post office tower in foreground.

RNC 8 Wilson & Company.jpg
Wilson & Company, seen in the foreground, was a wholesale meat company. It was located at 312 Campebell Avenue SE. Hotel Roanoke and N&W General Offices can be seen in background.

RNC 54 Jefferson Theatre.jpg
Jefferson Theatre, formerly located at 417 S. Jefferson Street.

RNC 4 Shenandoah.jpg
Austin & Martin Auto Repair, formerly located at 223 Shenandoah Avenue NW.

RNC 11 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was formerly located on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street where the Noel C. Taylor Municipal building stands today.

RNC 63 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 64 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 40 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

RNC 15 Norfolk Avenue.jpg
A view of Norfolk Avenue includes Bannister's Place (a boarding house) and HC Barnes Pharmacy. Buildings were located roughly where the Wells-Fargo Tower is today.

RNC 3 N&W Salvage.jpg
Norfolk & Western Salvage Warehouse, formerly located at 201 Campbell Avenue SE.

RNC 39 N&W Freight Station.jpg
Lots for sale in front of the Norfolk & Western freight station on Norfolk Avenue.

RNC 51 Municipal Building.jpg
A view of the municipal building from the YMCA.

RNC 146 Municipal Building.jpg
View of the Municipal Building from 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

RNC 5 Mick or Mack.jpg
Mick or Mack, formerly located at 310 2nd Street.

RNC 101 Jefferson Street.jpg
Home formerly located at 815 S. Jefferson Street.

RNC 42 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Elmwood Park.

RNC 56 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue.

RNC 16 Heironimus.jpg
John Nolen's plans for the City of Roanoke on display in the windows of Heironimus.

RNC 50 Franklin Road.jpg
A view of the 200 block of Franklin Road, where the Verizon building sits today. First Baptist Church can be seen over the buildings at left. The building on the right with the round portion was the original First Baptist.

RNC 139 Commerce Street School.jpg
Demolition of the Commerce Street School, also known as the First Ward School.

RNC 52 Church Avenue.jpg
Commerce Street School being razed to make room for the post office. Greene Memorial United Methodist Church can be seen in background.

RNC 60 Church Avenue.jpg
Demolition of St. John's Episcopal and a house on Church Avenue to make way for the post office.

RNC 81 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from the 100 block.

RNC 132 Church and 2nd.jpg
Buildings once located at 2nd Street and Church Avenue where the Commonwealth Building stands today.

RNC 29 GW Copenhaver.jpg
Vacant storefront on Williamson Road between Church Avenue and Kirk Avenue. The building was once occupied by blacksmith G.W. Copenhaver. The site is now a parking lot.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2