Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (722 total)

BM282.jpg
Hubert Harris on Salem Avenue in Downtown Roanoke.

CPC 2 SW from YMCA.jpg
Looking southwest from the top of the YMCA building on 2nd Street. Lee Junior High School is visible in the left background.

CPC 37 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 38 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 41 Rorer Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Rorer Avenue from 5th Street.

CPC 43 Elmwood Park.jpg
A view in Elmwood Park.

CPC 5 Church and 5th.jpg
Jog intersection at Church Avenue and 5th Street.

CPC 52 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese Magnolia in Elmwood Park.

CPC 53 Terry House.jpg
Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park. The Terry House was gifted to the City of Roanoke in 1921 for use a library. It operated in this capacity until a new library was built in 1952.

CPC 54 Elmwood Pond.jpg
Swans in the pond once located in Elmwood Park.

CPC 57 Freight Truck.jpg
Southern States Motor Freight truck parked on the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

CPC 62 Shenandoah Avenue.jpg
Shenandoah Avenue and Centre Avenue. Norfolk & Western General Offices visible in background.

CPC 64 Norfolk Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Norfolk Avenue.

CPC 7a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7c Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7d Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7e Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 8 Campbell and Chapman.jpg
Point where Chapman Avenue forks off of Campbell Avenue

CPC 9a Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9b Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9c Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9d Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9e Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

Creasy10 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy11 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy12 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy17 Centennial Parade.jpg
Crowds line Jefferson Street for the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy18 Centennial Parade.jpg
Replica 1892 Heironimus float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy19 Centennial Parade.jpg
Marines reenact the raising of the American Flag at Iwo Jima in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy20 Centennial Parade.jpg
Roanoke Transportation Museum float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy24 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy25 City Market.jpg
Crumpacker Orchards on the City Market.

Creasy26 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market

Creasy27 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy28 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy29 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy30 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market,.

Creasy31 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy32 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy33 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy34 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy35 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy36 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy38 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy39 City Market.jpg
An unidentified vendor prepares produce to sell on the City Market.

Creasy4 Texas Tavern.jpg
A Roanoke landmark, Texas Tavern is located at 114 Church Avenue SW.

Creasy40 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy42 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy43 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy44 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy45 City Market.jpg
Mountain Top Orchards sells produce on the City Market,

Creasy6 707 Building.jpg
The 707 Building, located at 707 S. Jefferson Street.

Creasy8 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue at 2nd Street. The old YMCA building is seen on the left and Greene Memorial United Methodist on the right.

Creasy9 Church and 5th.jpg
Home formerly located at 5th Street and Church Avenue.

Davis 1.12 Aerial view of MacBain building.jpg
Aerial view taken from site of MacBain building. Post office tower in foreground.

Davis 1.13 State & City.jpg
The first 3 floors of the State & City Building were built in 1905 for the State & City Bank. The additional 5 floors were added in the late 1920s. In 2008, the State & City building became Roanoke's first LEED certified building in the city. It…

Davis 1.14 Mill Mountain.jpg
Looking southeast toward Mill Mountain from just across Day Avenue between First Street and Jefferson Street. The large multi-story building left of center was Jefferson Apartments. Nearly all of the buildings seen in the foreground have been…

Davis 1.21 Elks Carnival High Wire Act .jpg
Elks Carnival High Wire Act about 1895. Site of present Times-World building looking west towards 3rd St., St. Mark's Lutheran Church, and Rorer Hall in background. Rear of Salem Ave. building.

Davis 1.312 Roanoke heaviest snowfall Jefferson St.jpg
Roanoke's heaviest snowfall. Shown is Knepp & Company, formerly located at Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. Men shovel snow off of roof. View looking south.

Davis 1.32 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace apartment building, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.321 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street in the 900 block, Carlton Terrace is on the right.

Davis 1.323 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace Apartments, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.822 N&W freight station.jpg
Norfolk & Western freight station. Looking SW toward downtown. View of buildings on Norfolk Ave. St. James Hotel in background.

Davis 1.91 Elmwood Park from corner.jpg
Elmwood Park from corner of Jefferson St. and Bullitt Ave.

Davis 1.92 Elmwood Park looking toward corner.jpg
Elmwood Park looking toward SW corner of Jefferson St. and Elm Ave.

Davis 1.921 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park looking from Southwest corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. Terry home and tennis courts visible.

Davis 1.93 Elmwood Park looking from SW corner.jpg
Elmwood Park looking from SW, at Jefferson St. and Elm Ave., corner toward Terry home in park. Tennis courts at left. About 1950.

Davis 1.94 Elmwood Park looking SE.jpg
Elmwood Park looking at SE corner of Bullitt Ave. and Jefferson St. About 1950. Gazebo in view.

Davis 1.95 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese magnolia brought from Japan by Admiral Perry. Elmwood Park Spring 1931.

Davis 100 General Outdoor Advertising.jpg
General Outdoor Advertising Company was located in the old St. John's Episcopal Church on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. The church is hardly visible due to the billboard display surrounding it.

Davis 106 Golden Jubilee.jpg
Spectators gather in front of the Municipal Building on Campbell Avenue to watch the Golden Jubilee parade.

Davis 11.21 West End School.jpg
West End Elementary School, formerly located at 918 Campbell Avenue. In this photo, the school is nearing completion.

Davis 12.1 Roanoke Post Office.jpg
First post office. N.E. corner of Church Ave., S.W. and 1st Street.

Davis 12.2 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's first Post Office as seen from the East side of Henry Streeet (now 1st Street) looking toward Campbell Avenue.

Davis 12.4 Commonwealth Building.jpg
Originally constructed as the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse in 1932, the Commonwealth Building is located at 220 Church Avenue.

Davis 14.22 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.41 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of Second Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. This…

Davis 14.42 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of 2nd Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. The photo…

Davis 14.47 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

Davis 14.6 Gill Memorial.jpg
Gill Memorial Hospital was built in 1926. It was the first hospital in Virginia exclusively providing treatment for eye, ear, nose and throat conditions. It remained in independent operation until 1976, when it was acquired by Roanoke Memorial.

Davis 14.7 Community Hospital.jpg
Aerial view of Community Hospital. Orchard Hill is in the background.

Davis 15.112 Library Float.jpg
Roanoke Public Library float in a parade.

Davis 15.12 Library Entrance.jpg
Jefferson Street entrance to the first Roanoke Public Library

Davis 15.121 Terry House.jpg
A view of the Terry House from the driveway on Jefferson Street. The Terry House would become Roanoke's first public library in 1921.

Davis 15.13 Library & Elmwood Park.jpg
Terry home in Elmwood Park shortly after its converstion to the first library. Circa 1925.

Davis 15.14 Old Library Building.jpg
Roanoke Public Library as seen from across Jefferson Street.

Davis 15.15 Roanoke City Library.jpg
The Main branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Davis 15.211 Storytime at Roanoke Public Libraries.jpg
Roanoke Public Library's children's room. November 19, 1917.

Davis 15.212 Patrons in Reference.jpg
Ladies in the reference room.

Davis 15.221 Main Library Interior.jpg
Roanoke Public Library. Circulation desk and main room.

Davis 15.222 Reading & Reference Room.jpg
Interior view of Main Library reading and reference rooms when it was located in the Terry House.

Davis 15.23 Patrons in Reference.jpg
The reference room in the old library about 1947.

Davis 16.1 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel at 131 Campbell Avenue. This building was constructed in 1931 on the foundation of the previous Ponce de Leon which burned in 1931.

Davis 16.202 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke was built in 1882 by Norfolk and Western Railway.

Davis 16.2021 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
An early view of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2022 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Bird's eye view of Hotel Roanoke. Spires of St. Andrew's Cathedral can be seen in upper left corner.

Davis 16.206 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2091 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
An aerial view of the Hotel Roanoke. Roanoke Auditorium visible in upper right corner.

Davis 16.21 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke has gone through mulitple renovations, due to fire and to increase its size. This undated photo depicts the hotel in one of its many "phases". Despite the renovations, the hotel has maintained its distinctive style.

Davis 16.2102 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
Hotel Roanoke shown during contruction of addition.

Davis 16.22 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Co.

Davis 16.23 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Company.

Davis 16.26 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Night scene of the Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.263 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.266 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Exterior of garage at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.267 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.268 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.269 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2690 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.271 Palm Court.jpg
Palm Court in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.272 Cigar Counter.jpg
Cigar Counter in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2791 Writing Room.jpg
The Writing Room in Hotel Roanoke. This space is now an extension of the Pine Room Pub.

Davis 16.28 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke looking North.

Davis 16.31 Rorer Park Hotel.jpg
Rorer Park Hotel. The hotel was purchased by the citizens of Roanoke and presented to the Alleghany Institute, a school for boys. The Institute used this structure for three years.

Davis 16.414 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park and houses.

Davis 16.415 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.41a Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.421 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.422 Patrick Henry.jpg
Close-up showing main entrance to the Patrick Henry Hotel on Jefferson Street.

Davis 16.43 PH Ballroom.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel ballroom prepared for a banquet.

Davis 16.4311 PH Coffee Shop.jpg
Interior view of the coffee shop located inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.4321 PH Dining.jpg
Interior view of the Terrace Dining Room inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.4375 Dining Room.jpg
Waitstaff posese next to table prepared for a banquet in the Patrick Henry.

Davis 16.9 Shenandoah Hotel.jpg
The Shenandoah Hotel opened on 5 November 1909. Originally consisting of two buildings, separated by an 8-foot alley, the Salem Avenue facing building seen here would later become the Hotel Lee followed by the Hotel Earle. The building was destroyed…

Davis 18.2  Civic Center Model.jpg
An archetectural model of the Roanoke Civic Center.

Davis 19.14 YWCA.jpg
The YWCA located at the corner of Franklin Road and First Street.

Davis 19.141 YWCA.jpg
The Young Women's Christian Association formed a Roanoke chapter in 1914. This building was built around 1930 at the 605 1st Street SW.

Davis 2.1 NW Corner of Franklin & Jefferson.jpg
Jefferson St. and Franklin Rd. (NW corner) ca. 1922. Park Theater visible. Marquee reads, "Gloria Swanson and Rodolph Valentio in Beyond the Rocks. Building to right was vacant at the time.

Davis 2.111 North on Jefferson.jpg
500 Block of Jefferson Street, looking North. Night scene depicts old street lights.

Davis 2.1112 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Campbell Avenue intersection.

Tags:

Davis 2.1113  South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Luck Avenue intersection.

Tags:

Davis 2.1115 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.111a Advance Auto.jpg
Original Advance Auto Parts, 503 S. Jefferson St.

Davis 2.112 N&W Office.jpg
Norfolk & Western Office on the 500 block of S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.12 Kazim Temple Band.jpg
Kazim Temple Band in Christmas parade. Looking NE on Jefferson Street from corner of Day Avenue.

Davis 2.121 Jefferson and Franklin.jpg
View of the building on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road. Among the businesses occupying this area were the Jefferson Street Pharmacy, Morgan's Restaurant, Katheryne Marechal Beauty Salon, John Norman Tayloring and the Park Theatre. …

Davis 2.1312a Joy Shop.jpg
Joy Shop located at Jefferson and Campbell

Davis 2.1313 Barr Brothers.jpg
Barr Brothers Jewelers, formerly located at 4 Campell Avenue SE.

Davis 2.1322 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1323 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1333 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1334 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1335 West Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson intersection

Davis 2.1336 Campbell Ave.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1337 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.134 Leggett's.jpg
Leggett's, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.135 Butler's Shoes.jpg
Butler's Shoes 000 Block Campbell Ave. SW

Davis 2.1381 SH Davis Pictures.jpg
S.H. Davis Pictures, formerly located at 136 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 2.14 Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple.jpg
Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple. Campbell and Jefferson. Homes in the background. About 1888.

Davis 2.16 Salem Ave.jpg
Salem Avenue at 2nd Street

Davis 2.162 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Salem Avenue from Henry Street (now 1st). This row of storefronts included a bowling alley; liquor store,;L.A. Tolbert Cleaning, Pressing and Repairing; Brady's Bar and Restaurant; a barbershop and a pool hall.

Davis 2.163 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue near the Jefferson Street intersection. On the right is the First National Exchange Bank; visible on the left are Hanover Shoe, Virginia Dare Dresses and United Cigars.

Davis 2.22 J. Kefauver & Son's Repository.jpg
The Kafauver Repository was a large warehouse built on the site of the present Municipal Building between 1874 and 1878 and faced Commerce St. It was known as Kefauver's Folly in that Kefauver & Son originated the Central Manufacturing Company and…

Davis 2.23 J.M. Gambill.jpg
Proffit Cobbler Shop and J.M. Gambill Wholesale Grocers on Salem Avenue. Edward Franklin Proffit on left.

Davis 2.24 Elks Lodge 197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road where Anthem is now located.

Davis2.241 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 2.242 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 2.249 Pythian Building.jpg
Knights of Pythias, Oceola Number 47, located at 5 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 2.25 Roanoke Fair.jpg
Looking north of Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue at crowd gathered for Roanoke Fair.

Davis 2.26 Anchor Building.jpg
The Anchor Building under construction. Built by Roanoke Gas Company, it was completed in 1910 and is located at the corner of 1st Street and Kirk Avenue. The building was used by Roanoke Gas until 1931 when Shenandoah Life Insurance Company…

Davis 2.27 Professional Arts Building.jpg
Constructed in 1929, the Professional Arts Building, formerly known as the Medical Arts Building, is located at 30 Franklin Road.

Davis 2.28 Boxley Building.jpg
Still under construction in this photograph, the Boxley Building was built by W.W. Boxley, then mayor of Roanoke. The building is located at 416 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 21.209 First Baptist.jpg
The old First Baptist Church, formerly located on opposite side of 3rd Street from the new building.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.212 First Baptist.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
Doors of First Baptist Church at 515 3rd Street.

Davis 21.309 Calvary Baptist.jpg
The old Calvary Baptist Church, formerly located on Campbell Avenue between 5th Street and 6th Street. This building was used until completion of the current building in 1925.

Davis 22.2 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.21 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.22 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 23.11 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 24.02 St. Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church, located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue.

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.18 St. John's Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 24.181 St Johns Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 25.312 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 27.1 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
The First Church of Christ. Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 27.11 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
First Church of Christ Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 27.2 First Christian Church.jpg
First Christian Church, locate at 344 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.5 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
Interior view of Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.51 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
The Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 28.1 St Marks Lutheran.jpg
Old St. Marks Lutheran Church built by Methodists on corner of Campbell Ave. and 3rd St.

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran.jpg
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the southeast corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is now located on the site.

Davis 29a Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29b Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 3.1 City Market Circa 1936.jpg
A view of the City Market area looking south on Market Street.

Davis 3.11 Old City Market.jpg
Old City Market. Old assembly hall in background. Circa 1890.

Davis 3.12 Playing at the City Market.jpg
Old city market. Looking toward Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 31.51 Terry House.jpg
The Terry House in Elmwood Park. The home was used as Roanoke's first public library until it the current structure was built in 1952. The home was used as recreational offices until it was razed in 1964.

Davis 31.6 Gale House.jpg
Home of Dr. Joseph Gale, formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 4.21 American Viscose Car Parade.jpg
American Viscose car in World War I drive parade.

Davis 42.1 Davis Photo Company.jpg
Davis Photo Company at 104 W. Salem Avenue. George Davis stands behind car on right with arm on window frame. Other men unidentified.

Davis 42.21 Stone Printing Company.jpg
The first location of Stone Printing Company on 2nd Street. The company remained in this building until it moved into 116 N. Jefferson Street in 1908. Men unidentified.

Davis 42.52 American Theatre.jpg
The grand interior of the American Theatre. The theatre opened on 26 March 1928. Once located at 115 S. Jefferson Street, the theatre closed in 1970 and was razed in January of 1973 to make way for the First National Exchange Bank.

Davis 42.521 American Theatre.jpg
Children pack the American Theatre for the Saturday Morning Children's Show. Hayden Huddleston can be seen to the left center in front of the stage.

Davis 42.53 Academy of Music.jpg
Interior of the Academy of Music. Built in 1892 on Salem Avenue near 5th Street, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was demolished in 1953.

Davis 42.531 Academy of Music.jpg
The Academy of Music was located in the 400 block of West Salem Avenue. The Academy opened 7 October 1892. After World War II, it fell into disuse and was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.532 Academy of Music.jpg
Looking West on Salem Avenue at the Academy of Music. Built in 1892, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall.jpg
Rorer Hall was built by Ferdinand Rorer in 1878 on the Northeast corner of Campbell Avenue and 3rd Street. Caption reads, "Roanoke's first thetre [sic] built by F. Rorer. Opened by John W. Sherman with his first play, "The Brothers". The building…

Davis 43.121 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Appalachian Power Company , located at 40 Franklin Road.

Davis 43.123  AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.124 AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.125 AEP Office.jpg
The original AEP Office, once located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue, at night..

Davis 43.13 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building was located at 34 Campbell Avenue. Stone Smoke Shop sign visible in front of building. The building was razed in 1956.

Davis 43.14 Coulter Building.jpg
The Coulter Building at 601-605 Jefferson Street. Built in 1926 and once the home of the Heironimus annex, this building now houses the Western Virginia Water Authority.

Davis 43.21_N&W Office fires.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.211 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.212 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.213 N&W General Offices.jpg
The Norfolk and Western General Offices once stood at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street. The building was destroyed by fire 4 January 1896.

Davis 43.3 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
Interior of First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.301 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building was built in 1912. Located at 204 Jefferson Street, it has been in continuous operation as a bank for over a century.

Davis 43.311 Bank of Virginia.jpg
Construction of the Bank of Virginia, formerly located at 102 Church Avenue SW, is now First Citizens Bank.

Davis 43.32 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank , formerly located at 302 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.34 Terry Building.jpg
Built in 1892, the 8 story Terry Building was Roanoke's first "skyscraper". It was located on the Southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Colonial National Bank was housed in the building. Sadly, it was razed in 1927 to make room…

Davis 43.3509 Liberty Trust Building.jpg
Built in 1910 as First National Bank, the Liberty Trust Building stands at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 44.12 ML Curley Confectionary.jpg
ML Curley Confectionery, formerly located at 23 Salem Avenue SE.

Davis 44.16 Sunnyside Awning Co..jpg
Sunnyside Awning Company, formerly located at 621 1st Street.

Davis 44.21 Remington Rand.jpg
Remington Rand, formerly located at 502 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.22 Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc..jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. , formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.222 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing unidentified office personnel.

Davis 44.223 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. Shipping & Receiving Dept.

Davis 44.2241 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
The interior of Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.2242 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
An interior view of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.226 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Unidentified personnel of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.228 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.2291 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.2292 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc.

Davis 44.2296 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Loading dock of Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc., looking north toward intersection of Luck Avenue & 1st Street. 1st Street can be seen in background.

Davis 44.2298 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Looking east at Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street SW.

Davis 44.2299 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street SW.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.31 Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.311 Morgan-Eubank Furniture.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.321 W.T. Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company was located at 17-19 Campbell Avenue. The W.T. Grant Company was a variety store known for its inexpensive merchandise.

Davis 44.322 Leggetts.jpg
Leggetts decorated for Christmas, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.325 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, formerly located at 310 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.326 Taylor-Rutrough.jpg
Taylor-Rutrough Menswear, formerly located at 28 Church Avenue SW.

Davis 44.327 Berts Shoes.jpg
Bert's Shoes, formerly located at 9 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.329 Heironimus.jpg
Heironimus and Company when located at 34-38 Campbell Avenue. The history of Heironimus downtown follows: Heironimus and Brugh Dry Goods started in 1890 at 110 Commerce Street and later 206 Commerce Street SW (2nd Street). A new building was…

Davis 44.341a Fisher Supply.jpg
The interior of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.341b Fisher's Supply Employees.jpg
Unidentified employees of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.4 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.41 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.412 RT Building.jpg
The Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW. Although it has gone through changes over the years, the building is still used by the Times.

Davis 44.43 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.45 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.47 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.48 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.49 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.621a Graybar Electric Employees.jpg
Employees of Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.621b Graybar Electric.jpg
Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue

Davis 44.621c Graybar Electric.jpg
Sales counter at Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.713 Kroger.jpg
Kroger, formerly located at 307 Market Street SE in the Wigmore Building.

Davis 45 Roanoke Machine Works.jpg
Roanoke Machine Works was founded in 1881. By 1883, the Shenandoah Valley Railroad acquired the facility. Norfolk & Western acquired the facility in 1897. From then on, it became known as the N&W Roanoke Shops. It is still an active maintenance…

Davis 45.237 Sunlight Bakery .jpg
The Roanoke Sunlight Bakery was located at 501 Salem Avenue. The building was also used by Kroger Bakery. It is now used as a warehouse.

Davis 45.52 Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon.jpg
Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon Works, formerly located at 10 Kirk Avenue.

Davis 46.221 Jarrett Chewning.jpg
Jarrett Chewing Co. Inc. - 360 Luck Ave. SW George Davis in hat & light overcoat, others unidentified

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company.jpg
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 46.41 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.414 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414a Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414b Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414c Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414d Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414e  Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414f Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414g Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414h Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414i Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 47.1 McKesson & Robbins.jpg
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.11 McKesson & Robbins.jpg
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.221 C.F. Fielder.jpg
C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221a C.F. Fielder.jpg
An office at C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221c C.F. Fielder.jpg
Factory floor of C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.43 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Loebl Dye Works, formerly located at 348 Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 47.431 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Wet cleaning department at Loebl Dye Works. Men from left are: William Staples, Robert Loebl, Walter Morgenthau and unknown.

Davis 48.11 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Garst Brothers Dairy, formerly located at 1118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 48.13 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Right side view of Garst Brothers Dairy with trucks lining the building

Davis 48.5 Salem Saloon.jpg
Interior of an indentified saloon on Salem Avenue.

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria.jpg
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…

Davis 5.12 Aerial View of Roanoke.jpg
Aerial View of Roanoke. I-581 construction underway. Interstate can be seen bisecting photograph.

Davis 5.4 Franklin Road.jpg
An aerial view of Franklin Road at 1st and 2nd Street. The building in the upper right corner is Lee Junior High School, which was razed to build the Poff Federal Building.

Davis 56.3 RR Equipment Painters.jpg
Union of the Railroad Equipment Painters Numer 440 on the steps of the Elk's Club.

Davis 56.6661 Viscose Life Saving Crew.jpg
American Viscose Life Saving Crew marches in a World War II victory parade.

Davis 56.813 Greene Memorial Banner Class.jpg
Greene Memorial Methodist Church Banner Class on steps of Post Office.

Davis 56.823 Salvation Army Baseball Team.jpg
Salvation Army Baseball Team in front of the Salvation Army building, located at 821 Salem Avenue. Team members unidentified.

Davis 56.9 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department group photo taken in front of the original courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue.

Davis 58.1 First Ward School.jpg
Fourth grade class from First Ward or Commerce Street School.

Davis 59.16 Ox Cart.jpg
Unidentified men on an ox cart. Hotel Roanoke visible in background.

Davis 6.21 Roanoke 1882-1902.jpg

Davis 609 Elks Convention.jpg
Unidentified members of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks during the Virginia State Convention on the steps of the Elks Lodge formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 61.01 N&W Passenger Station.jpg
The Norfolk & Western Passenger Station was built in 1907. It is now home to the O. Winston Link Museum and History Museum of Western Virginia.

Davis 610 Travelers Protective Association.jpg
Unidentified members of the Travelers Protective Association on the Virginia State Convention at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 611 Masons.jpg
Clinchfield Class Scottish Rite Masons

Davis 612 Masons.jpg
J.W. Keys Memorial Class 32

Davis 615 Masons.jpg
Sparrell Simmons Gale Memorial Class 32

Davis 619 Masons.jpg
Unidentified members of the Daniel Henry Carmines Memorial Class 32

Davis 61d N&W General Offices.jpg
Original Norfolk & Western General Offices, formerly located at the corner of Jefferson Street and Shenandoah Avenue. The building was destroyed by fire on 4 January 1896.

Davis 622 Commerce Street School.jpg
Students of Commerce Street School. Commerce Street School or First Ward School stood at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street (Commerce). The school was built in 1890 and razed in 1929 to make way for the post office.

Davis 63.1 Greyhound Bus Depot.jpg
Roanoke Greyhound Bus Depot, formerly located at the corner of Williamson Road and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 63.21 Street Car.jpg
Unidentified man stands next to a street car on Jefferson Street.

Davis 641 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department on the steps of the Municipal Building.

Davis 65.012 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Roanoke firefighters line up for a Labor Day parade at the present corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. W.P. Mundy livery stable is in the background.

Davis 65.02 Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1.jpg
Firemen from the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 post in front of the original Fire Station #1 (formerly located at Campbell Avenue and 1st Street) prior to the funeral of Mayor William Carr. 1st row, L to R: Thomas Engleby, __ Harris, __ Shank, __…

Davis 65.021 Vigilante Fire Station.jpg
Vigilante Fire Station #1 stood on the northeast corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Shown here shortly before completion in 1888, the fire station remained in use until 1907 when the "new" Station #1 was built on Church Avenue. Prior to the…

Davis 65.022 Junior Hose Company #2.jpg
Members of the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 and the Junior Hose Company #2 stand in front of Vigilante Fire Station #1 shortly before escorting the body of Mayor William Carr to his burial in City Cemetery.

Davis 65.1 Firemen at Station #1.jpg
Fireman in front of Station #1 on Church Avenue. 1st row, L to R: "Pop" Smith, Adam Arnold, Chief James F. McFalls, Joe Bowman and Cleveland Carper Meador. 2nd row, L to R: James W. Nichols, George Witt, O.C. Craft, Clarence Short, Charlie Boone,…

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

Davis 65.12 Fire Station #1.jpg
Ladder #1 (left), a 1918 Seagrave, sits next to the Chief's car, a Hudson, and Engine #1 (right) at Fire Station #1. Fireman on Ladder #1, from L to R: Elsie J. Knowles, __Shillins, James E. Updike, Harry Grubb, Raymond N. Wills, Harry J. Daniels…

Davis 65.3 Fire Station #3.jpg
The building that housed Fire Station #3 still exists at 301 6th Street, but is now privately owned. Shown here at left is Engine #3, a Seagrave Brasshead next to Ladder #2, also a Seagrave.

Davis 65.31 Fire Station #3.jpg
Fire Station #3, located at 301 6th Street. Though the building still exists, it is not longer used as a fire station.

Davis 65.91 Fire on Campbell.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel caught fire on 28 December 1928. All nine Roanoke engines and two ladder trucks were on the scene, including a hose truck from Vinton and an engine from Salem. The original 5 story portion of the hotel was destroyed and would…

Davis 65.92 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.921 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.93 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.931 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.932 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.933 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Even after the building's collapse, firemen continue to hose down the smoldering rubble that was once the Philip Levy Exchange Store.

Davis 65.934 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue. Both city ladder trucks were utilized in an attempt to extinguish the fire, which was burning on the top…

Davis 65.935 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Firemen attempt to extinguish the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.936 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Ladder trucks 1 and 2 were utilized to fight the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store, which was burning on the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.937 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.938 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Store alarm was struck at 1:21pm on 31 August 1928. This photo was taken not long after the fire started. Both city ladder trucks were on the scene to combat the fire in the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.94 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.941 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 9.12 Auto parade.jpg
Roanoke's first auto parade on Campbell Ave. in front of present Municipal Building. United Commercial Travelers Grand Council parade. Ponce De Leon Hotel in right background.

Davis GL 108 Salem Avenue.jpg
Vacant store fronts in the 100 block of Salem Avenue.

Davis GL 110 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Various business signs along E. Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

Davis GL 14 Pond in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of pond in Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 17 Unidentified Building.jpg
Unidentified building near downtown.

Tags:

Davis GL 172 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
View of Hotel Patrick Henry from Elmwood Park

Davis GL 19 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 2 Scene in Elmwood Park.jpg
Scene in Elmwood Park with a view of Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis GL 2.1 Scene in Elmwood Park.jpg
Scene in Elmwood Park viewing the rose garden.

Davis GL 20 Salem Avenue.tif
View of Salem Avenue east from Second Street, SW. Buildings lines street with painted advertisements.

Davis GL 21 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished.

Davis GL 21.1 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished with coat laying on ladder.

Davis GL 222 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
View of Patrick Henry Hotel from Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 23 Jefferson Street.jpg
View of advertisement signs hanging from the front of buildings along South Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 26 State and City Bank.jpg
Side view of State & City Bank, once located at approximately 206 Jefferson Street. This photo was taken after a building was razed.

Davis GL 269 Jefferson Street.jpg
Northwest corner at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 30 Campbell Avenue.jpg
View of West Campbell Avenue at 8th Street intersection, 1928.

Davis GL 34 Tennis Courts at Elmwood.jpg
The tennis courts once in Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 37 Dog Mouth Fountain.jpg
Sketch of the Dog Mouth Fountain. The fountain was acquired by the city in 1898. It stands at the corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street.

Davis GL 38 Public Library in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of the first Roanoke Public Library in Elmwood Park. The library was located in the Terry House, a gift to the city from the Terry Family.

Davis GL 40 Railway Station.jpg
View from Williamson Road of Virginia Railway Station. Jefferson Street bridge in background.

Davis GL 41 Ponce De Leon Hotel.jpg
View of the rear of the Hotel Ponce De Leon, with the remainder of a building's foundation visible in foreground.

Davis GL 42 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis GL 43 Church Avenue.jpg
View of the intersection of Church Avenue and Second Street SW with the sign for the YMCA on the right.

Davis GL 48 Ponce de Leon.jpg
View of debris behind original Hotel Ponce de Leon.

Davis GL 55 Downtown Construction.jpg
View of men working on construction downtown. Totz Department Store can be seen in the background. Totz was located at 117-119 Salem Avenue SW.

Davis GL 64 Salem Avenue.jpg
Approximately 132 Salem Avenue.

Davis GL 69 Pond in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of pond in Elmwood Park .

Davis GL 7 Jefferson Street Looking North.jpg
Aerial view of Jefferson Street looking north.

Davis GL 79 Jamison Bakery.jpg
Jamison Company Bakery, formerly located at 541 Salem Avenue.

Davis GL 80 Giles Brothers Furniture.jpg
Giles Brothers Furniture, formerly located at 108 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 81 Schulte United Building.jpg
Campbell Avenue as seen from the Schulte United building, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 85 FNEB Detail.jpg
Stonework etched with First National Exchange Bank.

Davis GL 94 Market Street.jpg
View of market with truck and people on Nelson Street

Davis GL 98 Pitzer Transfer.jpg
Pitzer Transfer Storage Warehouse, formerly located at the corner of Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis 1.25 Looking NE from 1st & Day.jpg
Looking NE across city from 1st Street and Day Avenue

Davis 1.251 Views looking ENE from 1st & Day.jpg
Looking ENE from 1st Street and Day Avenue.

Davis 1.252 Parking lot in front of AEPs Roanoke office.jpg
Parking lot in front of AEP's Roanoke Office at the corner of Franklin Road and 1st Street SW

Davis 1.254 Franklin Rd.jpg
Looking toward intersection with First Street on Franklin Road. Old YWCA building and AEP both visible

Davis 1.255 First Street intersection t in front of AEP.jpg
First Street intersection with Franklin Road in front of AEP.

Davis2 1.3 Grand Piano Billboard.jpg
Billboard advertisement for Grand Piano located at Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 1.96 Snow in Elmwood.jpg
Snow in Elmwood Park

Davis 1.96B Snow in Elmwood.jpg
Snow in Elmwood Park with view of Terry House

Davis 1.98 Jefferson & Elm looking south.jpg
An aerial view of Elmwood Park.

Davis 105.1 Diamond Jubilee.jpg
Roanoke's Diamond Jubilee celebration kicks off at the 1915 municipal building.

Davis2 11.651 Jefferson High.jpg
Jefferson High School.

Davis2 13.13 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
The City of Roanoke's first courthouse and jail, formerly located at 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 14.72 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Engraving is visible on the left.

Davis2 14.73 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hosptial during construction.

Davis2 14.74 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Chemical Company visible at left.

Davis2 14.75 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction.

Davis 16.2 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke.

Davis2 16.423 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Roanoke Public Library.

Davis2 19.1 YMCA Pool.jpg
View of the pool inside the old YMCA building, formerly located at 425 Church Avenue, now the Locker Room Lofts.

Davis2 2.1116a East on Campbell.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.13 Campbell and Jefferson.jpg
The Rosenberg Building, formerly located on the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street, was once the home of the Joy Shop, Barr Brothers Jewelers and Oak Hall Clothing.

Davis2 2.133 Hardy Shoes.jpg
Hardy Shoes for Men and Boys, formerly located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1341 David Kohen.jpg
David Kohen Clothing and Apparel, formerly located at 24 Campbell Avenue SW

Davis 2.1342 WT Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company and McClellan Stores, formerly located 17-23 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 2.137a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts on the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 2.137b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts in the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.15 Welcome.jpg
United Council of Travelers Welcome banner for a conference in Roanoke.

Davis 24.1 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Espiscopal Church at its Church Avenue and 2nd Street location. The building was not being used by the church at the time this photo was taken. General Outdoor Adventure Co. was using the building.

Davis 24.12 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photo, the vacant building's lawn is being used for billboards. The signs include: Jamison's Chain Grocery Stores, Colonial National Bank,…

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis2 27.55 Hott Bishop Memorial.jpg
Hott Bishop Memorial United Brethren Church, formerly located on Tazewell Avenue.

Davis2 29c Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 29d Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 3.13 1927 Roanoke Flood.jpg
Cars drive through water on Campbell Avenue in front of the Market Building.

Davis 3.14 Cows on Market.jpg
Cows on market for a livestock auction.

Davis 3.15 Cows on Market.jpg
Cows on market for a livestock auction.

Davis 33.1 3rd Street Home.jpg
House located near the intersection of Luck Avenue and 3rd Street. The fire escape on the left is that of the old Lewis-Gale Hospital which stood on the corner. Both the house and the hospital have long been gone.

Davis2 35.3 Jefferson Apartments .jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 43.11 Shenandoah Building.jpg
The Shenandoah Building, located at 305 1st Street.

Davis 43.12 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Rear view of Appalachian Power Company as seen from Bullitt Avenue.

Davis2 43.127a AEP.jpg
Appalachian Power, located at 40 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 43.2-1 Norfolk & Western Office Building.jpg
Norfolk & Western Regional Offices, once located at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street.

Davis2 43.214 N&W Offices.jpg
Railroad employees stand in front of the Norfolk & Western Office building formerly located on 5th Street.

Davis 43.411 Roanoke Industrial Loan.jpg
Roanoke Industrial Loan & Thrift, formerly located at 20 Franklin Road.

Davis2 43.51 Williamson Building.jpg
The Williamson Building was located at the corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. The address of Graves-Humphreys Hardware was 311 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 43.6 Paul C. Agee Insurance.jpg
Employees of Paul C. Agee Insurance Company in the office.

Davis2 43.63 Motor Finance Company.jpg
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.631 Motor Finance.tif
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.8 Peoples Federal.jpg
People's Federal Savings and Loan, formerly located in the Liberty Trust Building at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis2 43.861 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW. View is looking north.

Davis2 43.862 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW

Davis2 43.86a SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 44.13 Caldwell-Sites Company.jpg
Caldwell-Sites Company Booksellers, formerly located at 105 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.328 Joy Shop.jpg
The Joy Shop, formerly located at 27 W. Campbell Avenue. It would later move to the corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 44.4 Smartwear Irving-Saks.jpg
Window display at Smartwear Irving-Saks, formerly located at 210-212 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.6 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of the children's department at Leggett's, formerly located 112 Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 44.7 Schulte United.jpg
Interior view of Schulte United Millinery, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 45.9 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Main office of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW.

Davis2 45.91 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners.

Davis2 45.92 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners. Sign panels have been removed as the gas burners are being replaced with electric lights.

Davis2 46.5 Moore Tire.jpg
Moore Tire Company, formerly located at 1860 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.9 Rutrough Motors.jpg
An unidentified customer and employees in front of Rutrough Motors, formerly located at 335 Luch Avenue SW.

Davis2 46.91 Rutrough Motors.jpg
An unidentified customer and employee in the showroom of Rutrough Motors, formerly located at 335 Luck Avenue SW.

Davis2 47.52 Winston Property.jpg
Winston Property Management, formerly located at 930 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8a National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street,

Davis2 47.8b National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8c National Cash Register.jpg
Work stations inside National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 48.14 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Garst Brothers Dairy, formerly located at 1118 Salem Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.39 Warehouse Row.jpg
Warehouses along the 100 block of Norfolk Avenue SW, including C.B. Halsey Company and Old Domion.

Davis2 48.772 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 48.773 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Merchandise inside Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis 6.122 Terry House.jpg
View of the Terry House and Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 6.123 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Intersection of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue, looking toward the SW corner of Elmwood Park. Terry House visible through the trees.

Davis 6.124 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue, looking toward the SE corner of Elmwood Park.

Davis 6.125 Elmwood Gazebo.jpg
View of gazebo in Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis2 7.22 Downtown Salem.jpg
A view of E. Main Street from the Market Street intersection in Downtown Salem.

Davis2 75.83 JM Oakey.jpg
Hearse in front of John M. Oakey Funeral Home, formerly located at 126 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 8.41 Lynchburg.jpg
A view of Downtown Lynchburg from Courthouse hill.

Davis2 8.42 Lynchburg.jpg
A view of Downtown Lynchburg from Courthouse hill.

FE002 GW Sisler.jpg
G.W. Sisler Funeral Home, formerly located at 23 First (Salem) Avenue.

FE001 First Auto.jpg
Roanoke's first automobile parked in front of a bicycle shop at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. The first auto was believed to have been owned by T.T. Fishburn. In two years, in 1906, this building would become Roanoke Automobile Company selling Rambler…

FE003 Grand Piano.jpg
Grand Piano Furniture was located at 312 2nd Street SW.

FE006 JE Bernards.jpg
J.E. Bernard's Machine Shop, formerly located at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. Roanoke Automobile Company is located next door, specializing in the sale of Ramblers.

FE007 Armistice Day Parade.jpg
A contingent of veterans march in the Armistice Day Parade on Campbell Avenue.

FE009 Union Lunch.jpg
Union Lunch, formerly located in the area where the Market Building is today.

FE010 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue toward the Market Building from the roof of the Colonial American National Bank building.

FE011 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies.

FE013 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies. Tenants in this photo include A&P…

FE014 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. The Rialto Theatre is visible at left.

FE015 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building from 2nd Street.

FE017 Mountain Trust.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank was located in the Strickland Building at 302 S. Jefferson Street.

FE022 Church and Jefferson.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo, the building housed T.L. Deyerle Company. It would later be home to the Sportsman. The building was razed in…

FE023 Big Lick Hotel.jpg
Formerly located on the southwest corner of Williamson Road and Salem Avenue, the Big Lick Hotel would go through several iterations, including a portion of the Shenandoah Hotel, the Lee Hotel and Hotel Earle. The building was gutted by fire in 1991…

FE024 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. American Theatre on right.

FE027 Title Guarantee.jpg
Title Guarantee Trust and Savings Bank, formerly located at 34 Church Avenue SW.

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

FE032 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE033 Big Lick Livery.jpg
In 1898, the Big Lick Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (1st Street SW) just north of Roanoke's first federally funded post office (located on the NE corner of Henry (1st) Street and Church Avenue) which can be seen in the background. In 1890 this…

FE034 Horton Livery.jpg
Horton and Roberts Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (now 1st Street SW) just north of the northeast corner of Henry Street and Church Avenue.

FE037 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street.

FE045 Elmwood Pond.jpg
The pond once in Elmwood Park.

FE047 Market Building.jpg
Roanoke's first Market Building. Built in 1886, it was replaced by the current Market Building in 1922.

FE048 FNEB.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building is located at 201 S. Jefferson Street.

FE049 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE050 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel

FE054 Dog Mouth Fountain.jpg
Th Dog Mouth Fountain stands on the northwest corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street. Legend has it that those who drink from the fountain will always return to Roanoke.

FE055 Lewis-Gale.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

FE056 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Colonial National Bank building.

FE057 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE058 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Crowds gather along Campbell Avenue to watch the Armistice Day Parade.

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE069 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE071 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2