Virginia Room Digital Collection


The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (26 total)

Davis 1.311 Knepp & Co. Livery.jpg
Knepp & Company Livery Stable, formerly located on the northwest corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue.

Davis 102.1 copy.jpg
Float decorated by Heironimus and Brugh Department Store for the Roanoke Decennial Parade.

Davis 12.1 Roanoke Post Office.jpg
Roanoke Post Office was located on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 2.15 Welcome.jpg
United Council of Travelers Welcome banner for a conference in Roanoke.

Davis 2.16 Salem Ave.jpg
A view of Salem Avenue at 2nd Street.

Davis 2.162 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Salem Avenue from Henry Street (now 1st). This row of storefronts included a bowling alley; liquor store,;L.A. Tolbert Cleaning, Pressing and Repairing; Brady's Bar and Restaurant; a barbershop and a pool hall.

Davis 25.15 St Andrews Construction.jpg
Men at work during the construction of St. Andrew's Catholic Church

Davis 3.11 Old City Market.jpg
Old City Market. Old assembly hall in background. Circa 1890.

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

FE002 GW Sisler.jpg
G.W. Sisler Funeral Home, formerly located at 23 First (Salem) Avenue.

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

FE033 Big Lick Livery.jpg
In 1898, the Big Lick Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (1st Street SW) just north of Roanoke's first federally funded post office (located on the NE corner of Henry (1st) Street and Church Avenue) which can be seen in the background. In 1890 this…

FE034 Horton Livery.jpg
Horton and Roberts Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (now 1st Street SW) just north of the northeast corner of Henry Street and Church Avenue.

FE301 Market Square.jpg
In the days before trucks were ubiquitous, farmers brought their goods to the City Market in buckboards, carts, and Conestoga wagons.

Charlie Poage, son of William Poage, with team of horses in front of Poage farmhouse on Route 221.

Dr. Edward Tinsley ready to start rounds on horseback. His house is in background. Tinsley practiced from 1890 to 1940 in the Bent Mountain area.

Sarah and Ballard Martin in front of home. Home is presently located on Shingle Ridge Road, off of Cotton Hill Road. Grandson Damon Martin is in buggy.

John Philip Austin at his home located across Route 221 from Mt. Union Church of the Brethren. Austin was the first person to have heart by-pass surgery at Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

Henry P. McGuire of Cave Spring in J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

George M. Burris (right) on a hay wagon, Bent Mountain.

Paul, Edith, and Frangie Davis with Frank the horse at Davis home on Salem Avenue.

Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

Horse and buggy in Downtown Roanoke.


MP 4.44 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking west from the 100 block of Salem Avenue SE. A horse takes a drink from the Dog's Mouth Fountain, visible at right.

MP 4.43 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking west at saloons along Salem Avenue. The Silver Moon Quick Lunch, Raleigh Cafe and Brady's were located at approximately 20 Salem Avenue SW.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2