This century-old view of Salem showed the development of the town since its inception in 1802 by James Simpson when he created 40 lots on 16 acres. The lots fronted one main road which Simpson named “Roanoke Street.” The lots were two sizes, rectangular (66 x 266 feet) and square (132 feet). Cross streets were originally named Limestone Street (later called Union Street), Water Street (later Broad Street), and Market Street.
Roanoke Public Libraries
Nelson Harris, George Wade
Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.
Is Version Of
Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards by Nelson Harris (2005)
unknown, “SR071 Salem,” Virginia Room Digital Collection, accessed June 25, 2022, http://www.virginiaroom.org/digital/document/sr071.