Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards

Dublin Core

Title

Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards

Description

The postcards included in this collection were used in large part in Nelson Harris' book "Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards". Several images depict scenes in the City of Roanoke. It should be noted that images included in this collection are not duplicates of those in the Historic Postcard Collection.

Publisher

Roanoke Public Libraries

Contributor

Nelson Harris, George Wade

Format

Postcard

Type

Still Image

Items in the Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards Collection

SR001 Virginia Bridge & Iron
The Virginia Bridge and Iron Works began in 1888 as the American Bridge Works, changing its name in 1893. Other branch plants were located in Memphis, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia. The Roanoke Branch was involved in hundreds of bridge projects…

SR002 Jefferson Apartments
The Jefferson Apartments were built in 1912 on South Jefferson Street. The apartments existed for several decades before being razed in the late 1990s. The site of the apartment building was occupied by a house that was moved across Mountain Avenue…

SR003 Roanoke Times
The Roanoke Times was the first daily paper in Roanoke, having been started by M.A. Claytor in 1886. In 1909, the Times was purchased by J. B. Fishburn, Edward L. Stone, and W.S. Battle and became the Roanoke Times, Incorporated. The Times…

SR004 Calvary Baptist
The Calvary Baptist Church on Campbell Avenue had as its early sanctuary this beautiful building which was located directly across the street from the present-day facility. Needing more space for the growing congregation and with the completion of…

SR005 Martha Washington Candies
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of…

SR006 Shenandoah Hospital
Construction of Shenandoah Hospital commenced in 1912, opening the next year. The hospital was located on West Campbell Avenue between 7th and 8th Streets. Dr. J.H. Dunkley was president and assisted by Dr. Ira Huff, Dr. W.S. Slicer, Dr. J.T.…

SR010 YMCA
The top image is of the Central YMCA and the bottom image is of the Railroad Department YMCA. The Railroad YMCA opened on November 10, 1903. The Young Men’s Christian Association began in Roanoke in 1883.

SR011 View from Incline
The postcard image shows what the vista would have looked like over a century ago atop the famous Mill Mountain Incline. In the bottom foreground is the back side of the old Roanoke Hospital, and in the top distant background one can see the former…

SR012 Jefferson Street
This card shows how Jefferson Street had changed over the years. This view looks north down Jefferson Street from Mountain Avenue, showing a variety of commercial buildings, apartments and hotels.

SR013 Masonic Temple
The Masonic Temple was located on the northwest corner of First and Kirk Street. In 1915, the street level was occupied by Reams, Jones and Blankenship furniture store. The store’s slogan was “Marry the girl – we’ll furnish the home.”

SR014 J.H. Marsteller
J.H. Marsteller created ornate marble monuments and headstones. This card was produced for Marsteller in 1907, showing on the left the exhibit of Marsteller at the 1907 Jamestown Exhibition’s Timber and Mineral Building. The image on the right…

SR015 Belmont Baptist
Belmont Baptist Church was organized on October 17, 1901. They dedicated their first sanctuary in Southeast Roanoke in 1904. Belmont Baptist continues to worship in the sanctuary depicted on this card.

SR016 First Christian
A member used this card to celebrate her new church sanctuary: “Our new church cost $15,000, pipe organ $2,650, pews $1,100. Expect to dedicate third Sunday in April.” Unfortunately, the church was badly damaged by a fire in 1917, but…

SR017 Belmont Christian
The Belmont section of Roanoke, long-served by the Christian Church there, began as a 40-home development around 1889. The Belmont School opened in 1893 and soon followed street car service (1905), the city’s first automobile fire steamer (1911),…

SR018 Roanoke Sanitarium
This card’s description reads, “One of the bedrooms of the Roanoke Sanitarium, Inc. – Institution for the treatment of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Drug and Alcohol Addictions.”

SR019 St. Charles Hospital
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue. It opened in March of 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. The hospital closed in 1934, and the building was converted into apartments.

SR011 Fort Lewis Tourist Court
The sender of this postcard wrote, “Will spend New Years Eve here, rained all day, having a good time. This motel is very comfortable. See you in San Francisco.” The Fort Lewis Tourist Courts was ½ mile west of Salem on Route 11.

SR012 Goodwin's Motel
The Goodwin Motel’s postcard boasted “approved drinking water.” The motel was located west of Salem on Route 11, which served for many years as the modern-day equivalent of the interstate.

SR013 Poole's Motor Court
This motor court was managed by H.R. Poole, who mailed this particular card to Joseph Lang of West Hempstead, NY, with the simple message, “You’re welcome in Virginia.” The establishment lured visitors by claiming “no truck or railroad…

SR014 Windsor Court Motel
Windsor Court Motel was at 1908 W. Main Street, Salem. Effie Snead was the owner and, at the time the card was published, Charles Snead was the manager.

SR015 Falls Near Hollins
Elva wrote to Albert Reinhold on the back of this card the following: “Received your postal from Washington, thank you so very much. Tell your dear mother that I will write to her tomorrow. This is a perfectly grand day to take a walk. Wish you…

SR016 Hollins College
The history of Hollins University actually begins in New York with Joshua Bradley, a Baptist minister. Bradley purchased the property of the defunct Roanoke Female Seminary in 1842 for the purpose of forming an education union to “conduct an…

SR020 Hollins College
The “new” bridge shown here was built in 1908, replacing an older one. The bridge was part of an extensive landscape plan developed for the campus at the time that consisted of gardens, boardwalks, bridges and recreational areas.

SR021 Hollins College
Early in Hollins’ history, social life for the students was very structured and limited. For example, in 1925 students could receive “gentlemen callers” only on weekend nights and Sunday afternoons. Dates off campus required a chaperone and…

SR022 Hollins College
The sulphur spring on the Hollins campus was discovered in the early 1800s in the bed of Carvins Creek. The message on this card boasted, “Its water has wonderful curative powers, and many prominent men, among them President Andrew Jackson and…

SR023 Hollins College
When this postcard was sent, Hollins students were on a reinvigorated academic schedule that covered six days. Students could no longer attend for two years and get an “Academic Certificate.” They now must complete all four years. These…

SR025 Hollins College
The Main Building is one of the oldest structures on the campus. The building was erected in between 1861 and 1863. The day the building was started was the same day Virginia seceded from the Union. With the onslaught of the Civil War,…

SR027 Hollins College
The 1920s saw the emergence of student leadership in the affairs of the college. In 1920 a student forum was organized for the purpose of providing input on a variety of issues. One reoccurring issue was dress. Could students wear short skirts,…

SR028 Hollins College
The West Building was totally rebuilt in 1890. The left wing contained the infirmary, doctor’s office and faculty living quarters, and the right wing contained two large halls for Hollins’ two early literary societies. The portico, completed in…

SR031 Hollins College
The Little Theater was created largely through the spirited giving of Hollins students who, in the 1920s, raised $45,000 toward the total cost of $65,000 for the structure. The theater was built in 1924, replacing an old auditorium that was in the…

SR032 Hollins College
Construction on East Building began in 1856 and was completed two years later. The East Building, complimenting Main and West, completed the quadrangle courtyard. According to early Hollins historians, East was designed to imitate in appearance the…

SR033 Hollins College
Presser Hall was erected in 1925, a gift of Theodore Presser, music publisher. Presser was a music professor at Hollins from 1880 until 1883. Unfortunately, Presser died before the building was completed. At the time of its dedication, the…

SR034 Hollins College
The Bradley Chapel was built in 1883 but not named until the 1930s for Joshua Bradley. The chapel served as the center for campus religious activities. During the early years, Hollins students were expected to attend chapel services daily after…

SR035 Hollins College
The infirmary, constructed in 1910, was named for Susanna Cocke. Utilizing Georgian and Federal architecture, the infirmary was actually the first building included in part of new quadrangle on the southeast section of the campus.

SR036 Catawba Sanatorium
The Virginia Building of Catawba Sanatorium was constructed in 1913, four years after the Catawba Sanatorium opened. The original property for the sanatorium had been the Red Sulphur Springs.

SR037 Catawba Sanatorium
When Catawba Sanatorium opened in 1909, it consisted of 42 beds located primarily in the old hotel that served the sulphur springs resort area. The sanatorium would expand in both buildings and number of patients significantly over the next few…

SR038 Catawba Sanatorium
By 1937, Catawba Sanatorium was serving some 340 patients and the grounds totaled over 1100 acres, almost double the acreage contained in the original purchase. The many pavilions, such as the one above, were named for Virginia governors.

SR039 Catawba Sanatorium
Catawba Sanatorium became in many ways a self-sustaining community. For many years, the sanatorium operated its own dairy farm. The number of patients and employees were such that the area soon had its own post office, school, chapel, and other…

SR041 Catawba Sanatorium
Catawba Sanatorium developed its own nursing school to train healthcare professionals in the treatment of tuberculosis. Between 1912 and 1954, Catawba School of Nursing graduated 258 Certified Tuberculosis Nurses.

SR042 Catawba Sanatorium
This view of the women’s quarters shows the west end of the lean-to with lounging room in the center. Catawba ceased accepting tuberculosis patients on January 1, 1972. When it did, records indicated that some 25,000 tuberculosis patients had…

SR043 Enon Baptist
Enon Baptist Church is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the Roanoke Valley. Built in 1855 across from the entrance of present-day Hollins University, the church was established by Charles Cocke, president of Hollins Institute.

SR044 Twelve O'Clock Knob
One of the most prominent geographical features in the Roanoke Valley is Twelve O’Clock Knob with an altitude of 2,707 feet. According to local tradition, the mountain received its name prior to the Civil War when slaves, working west of Salem,…

SR045 Twelve O'Clock Knob
Exactly what road this might be cannot be determined. Historic records, however, show that interest in building a road from Salem across Twelve O’Clock Knob to Back Creek and then up Bent Mountain dated back to 1840.

SR046 High Cliffs
The official arrival of the Norfolk and Western Railroad (later Railway) into the Roanoke Valley occurred on June 18, 1882, when an N&W locomotive steamed into the newly-named Town of Roanoke. With the coming of the railroad, the population and…

SR047 Ward Haven Camp
This camp was originally constructed in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. In 1941, it became an Army mechanical training camp. From 1943 until 1946, the camp housed 150 German POWs who worked in nearby orchards. Today, the camp is owned and…

SR050 Vinton Roller Mill
Vinton Roller Mills, along Glade Creek, grew out of mills originally built by David Gish that pre-dated the Civil War. By the Twentieth Century, the remaining mill was owned and operated by James Bowie and produced three kinds of flour. By 1924,…

SR051 Vinton Baptist
Vinton Baptist Church began in 1892. The building shown in this postcard rendering is one constructed in 1924, replacing the original sanctuary of 1894.

SR053 Vinton War Memorial
The Vinton War Memorial is a tribute to the 29 men of Vinton who gave their lives in military service during World War II and Vietnam. The building, seen here, was dedicated in 1948 as a community center and remains such today.

SR054 JC Cook Home
This fine residence belonged to prominent businessman, J.C. Cook originally of Bonsack. Cook later moved to the Vinton area and owned the land on which the Vinton War Memorial was built.

SR055 Methodist Church
This Methodist Church was an early sanctuary of the present-day Thrasher Memorial United Methodist Church. The present sanctuary was built in 1963. The church was named for Paul and Sallie Thrasher, pioneer Methodists in the Roanoke Valley. The…

SR056 Hanging Rock
The name “Hanging Rock” was given due to the rock formation’s appearance as projecting from the mountainside. In the area of Hanging Rock occurred one of only two Civil War engagements within the bounds of Roanoke County.

SR057 Traveltown
Traveltown, located on Route 11 in Cloverdale, advertised “Every cottage heated with Private Bath.” In the mid-1920s, Route 11 became a link in the Washington-to-San Diego Lee Highway, making it a part of the transcontinental highway system.

SR058 Traveltown
The vast majority of tourist homes, motor courts, motels and other tourist-related businesses dried up after the emergence of President Eisenhower’s interstate highway system. Small towns were bypassed, and routes, such as Route 11, were no…

SR059 Camp Powhatan
Camp Powhatan was located in the Natural Bridge National Forest Reserve. Scouting, having reached the States in 1910, has a long history in Roanoke County. The Blue Ridge Mountains Council, No. 599, is headquartered in Roanoke County, having merged…

SR060 McAfee Knob
This card reads, “From the crest of McAfee’s Knob, near Salem, at an altitude of 4,000 feet, and commanding a view of entrancing beauty. ‘Point of Rocks’ projects over the Valley far below. With nearly 2,000 feet of space beneath him, the…

SR061 Lakeside
Lakeside was opened in 1920 by Robert Lynn, Sr., and featured a public swimming pool, roller coaster and one additional ride. The original 50-acre tract on which Lakeside was built was an orchard owned by John Bower.

SR062 Lakeside
In 1936, Lakeside was purchased by H.L. Roberts, and his family owned and operated Lakeside for the next fifty years. When the amusement park opened it was described as “the largest pool anyone had ever seen,” complimented by a beach of imported…

SR064 Lakeside
Lakeside survived the Depression by offering low admission prices and cheap entertainment. During World War II, the USO provided servicemen complimentary tickets. There was even a movement in 1958 by nearby residents to constitute themselves as the…

SR065 Lakeside
Like most public venues in the South, Lakeside was not integrated until 1964. At about this same time, park owners closed the pool, filled it over, and the park expanded.

SR066 Lakeside
This card shows how much the park had developed under the ownership of the Roberts family. This card advertises, “South’s Finest Swimming Pool, Joy Rides for Children and Adults, Beautiful Picnic Grounds.”

SR067 Lakeside
Lakeside was for many decades the most popular draw for Valley residents and tourists in the region. Offering rides, amusements, recreation, and concerts, Lakeside was complimented by Dixie Caverns, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and being at the…

SR068 Lakeside
Aunt Katherine wrote her nephew in Salisbury, Maryland, using this card, the following: “How would you like to go in bathing here? Uncle Frank and the boys are in now. It is fresh water. They have slides and swings and acting bars and every…

SR069 Lakeside
Lakeside survived for over six decades, but the competition brought on by other more major theme parks took its toll. By 1983, the park was in financial trouble. Bought by Charles Fox in 1984, the park was struck by the Flood of 1985. The flood…

SR071 Salem
This century-old view of Salem showed the development of the town since its inception in 1802 by James Simpson when he created 40 lots on 16 acres. The lots fronted one main road which Simpson named “Roanoke Street.” The lots were two sizes,…

SR072 Pennsylvania Avenue
This early street scene illustrates the stately residential developments that marked Salem’s development at the turn of the last century.

SR073 Water Street
Water Street, later South Broad Street, was one of the earliest streets laid out in the 1802 plot of Salem. Water Street became the dominant center for Salem’s African-American community.

SR075 Main Street
Dirt streets and horse carriages marked town living one hundred years ago. In the foreground, one can see the outline of a crosswalk, probably brick, that allowed pedestrians to maneuver across streets avoiding ankle-deep mud that often plagued…

SR076 Main Street
W.G. Ronk took the picture that produced this card of turn-of-the-century Main Street, which James Simpson originally called Roanoke Street. The street was only a few blocks long when first developed, running from present-day Colorado Street to…

SR079 Main Street
Prominent on the left is a sign for W.B. Dillard Drug Co., Prescription Druggists, Soda and Mineral Waters. Watts Dillard was a prominent Salem business man involved in numerous civic projects. His drugstore, at the corner of Main and College, got…

SR080 East Main
On the back of this postcard was written the following message: “Dear Mama – Does this look like home? Not much, I guess you would like it down here because people are so easy going and don’t believe in working all the time…” Home, by…

SR081 East Main
After much discussion, Salem’s city fathers agreed to a streetcar route on Main Street (the tracks can be seen in this card) in 1894. The system served Salem and connected riders to the Roanoke line that crossed over Masons Creek. The streetcars…

SR082 Main Street
Main Street has become the setting for one of Salem’s most successful civic and commercial events – Olde Salem Days. The event began in 1981 with an estimated 12,000 visitors. By 1985, under the sponsorship of the Jaycees, “Days” drew some…

SR083 High Street
Salem’s first major population and economic boom occurred between 1880 and 1890 with the development of the railroad. The population during that decade nearly doubled. The Roanoke Collegian reported in 1891, “Building continues, High Street is…

SR084 College Avenue
Good streets have always been one of the basic services provided by any municipality to its citizens. In 1909, a Salem newspaper headline read, “Good Streets Coming.” The editor was congratulating Salem leaders for applying crushed limestone to…

SR085 The Boulevard
For a few years, Salem’s residential streets were segregated. In 1913, Salem created racially segregated residential districts which were permitted by state law. District No. 1 (centered around Water Street) was for blacks, and District No. 2…

SR086 Broad Street
Business leaders in Salem and Roanoke sought to promote their respective communities through a variety of promotional pamphlets. Scenes, such as the one above, were often included to demonstrate progress and prosperity. Salem was labeled as the…

SR088 Courthouse
This photo postcard shows the old county courthouse. The structure was built in 1841 on a lot purchased by Roanoke County from John Gray of Missouri for $400. The courthouse was constructed by Salem hotelier William C. Williams. During the Civil…

SR090 Courthouse
Judge William Moffett convened the first session of Circuit Court in the new court room on April 1, 1910, and dedicated the day “for the hearing of matters and reading of papers of local historical interest.”

SR092 Baptist Orphanage
The Baptist Orphanage often brought visiting Baptists from around the state to Salem, who, according to the early Salem newspapers, would bring the children into town for entertainment and recreation.

SR093 Baptist Orphanage
As a measure of Salem’s hospitality, many of the local churches, regardless of denomination, became involved with both the Baptist and Lutheran orphanages. In fact, Roanoke College offered free tuition to qualified students from both orphanages.

SR094 Baptist Orphanage
Before the advent of modern medicine, quarantine was often the best strategy to avoid the spread of disease. Salem, like all communities, had to impose its fair share of them. In 1905, the Baptist Orphanage was quarantined for two weeks due to an…

SR095 Baptist Orphanage
The cornerstone on the Administration Building was laid on July 4, 1901, becoming occupied in 1902. It’s red-brick castle-like structure was an imposing piece of architecture on the campus. The Administration Building was razed in 1965.

SR096 Baptist Orphanage
The hill-top Baptist Orphanage prided itself on being self-sustaining in its early years. A generous donation of an additional 87 acres in 1897 allowed the orphanage to even operate a full-scale farm and dairy herd.

SR097 Baptist Orphanage
By 1905, the Baptist Orphanage, which was just a decade old, was caring for 165 orphans. Some were placed in the institution’s care due to loss of parents, while others came to live because their families were impoverished. All needs of the…

SR098 Baptist Orphanage
The original 16 acres on which the orphanage sat was donated by businessman John M. Evans. The very first cottage to be built, which was completed on July 1, 1892, was named for the philanthropist.

SR099 Baptist Orphanage
This second cottage to be built for the orphanage was named for the institution’s first superintendent, the Reverend George J. Hobday, who served from 1891 until 1906.

SR100 Baptist Orphanage
The residence for the superintendent was constructed within the first decade of the orphanage’s operation. The residence allowed the superintendent to not only live on the campus but to host visitors and families.

SR101 Baptist Orphanage
Life at the orphanage often paralleled the events within Salem. Some of those were not positive. In 1918, a severe outbreak of the Spanish flu closed Salem’s schools, churches, and businesses for over a month. Sixty children at the Baptist…

SR102 Lutheran Orphanage
The Lutheran Orphanage arrived in Salem in May of 1896, occupying a brick home on five acres at the corner of present-day Florida Avenue and Boulevard. The orphanage eventually bought the former Hotel Salem on College Avenue (shown here), which it…

SR104 Lutheran Orphanage
The Lutheran Orphanage sold much of its land holdings in the 1960s to Salem for the purpose of erecting what is now the Salem Civic Center. The buildings were sold in 1985 to Roanoke College.

SR105 Women's Club
The Roanoke County Women’s Club was formed on June 7, 1923, by 28 women. In May of 1929, the club formally dedicated their clubhouse. On year later, the Junior Club added a wing to the main clubhouse and started a library. This effort laid the…

SR106 J.C. Langhorne Home
James C. Langhorne was prominent in the formation of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, helped develop Lake Spring Park, served on the Salem Town Council, and operated several business enterprises.

SR107 Monterey
Monterey was the pre-Civil War home of the Chapman family. In later years, the home at the corner of High and Clay served as a hotel, hosting visitors by providing a truly residential flavor.

SR108 Ridgewood Farm
The Ridgewood farm land is today a developed retail corridor, known as the Ridgewood Village Center. The center opened in 1985 with a variety of stores and restaurants. The home, shown here, remains.

SR109 Strouse Home
The impressive home of Salem lawyer Demetrius B. Strouse on Broad Street was built around the turn of the last century. Strouse was involved in numerous civic and religious projects in the Roanoke Valley.

SR110 N&W Passenger Station
The passenger station hosted a prominent visitor on October 19, 1934, when President Franklin Roosevelt came to dedicate the new Veterans’ Hospital. After the ceremony, the President came to Salem where he was escorted by Salem’s mayor and a…

SR111 N&W Passenger Station
The N&W Railway donated and created a park near the passenger station in 1933 at College Avenue and 8th Street. The park was one of several that were developed in Salem during that time period.

SR112 N&W Passenger Station
Passenger service at the Salem depot ended on April 30, 1965. On that day, YWCA kindergartners boarded the Powhatan Arrow for a trip to Christiansburg. That same year, the N&W donated the station to the town of Salem.

SR113 N&W Passenger Station
For many years, Salem had also benefited from passenger service provided by the Virginian Railroad. Virginian passenger service in Salem ended in 1954, five years prior to its merger with the N&W.

SR114 Crawford Hotel
This hotel stood on Main Street and was erected by W.D.F. Duval in 1871. It contained 40 to 50 rooms with bath tubs and running water. For a few years, the hotel was owned by the Chapman family and renamed the Lucerne.

SR115 Longwood
The Victorian mansion, known as “Longwood,” was built by Thomas Henry Cooper around 1904. Unfortunately, this majestic structure was destroyed by fire on November 19, 1968.

SR117 Fort Lewis
The local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected in 1927 a monument marking the location of Fort Lewis which had been built by General Andrew Lewis.

SR119 Salem
In 1952, residents of South Salem started a petition drive to incorporate a new town, Mount Regis. This was countered by residents desiring annexation into Salem. With some legal maneuverings and posturing, the “Mount Regis” citizens settled…

SR120 Mount Regis
Mount Regis was built on Development Hill in South Salem. Mount Regis closed its doors as a sanitorium in 1939. The building was then taken over by the Youth Administration to provide housing for nurses aids in hospitals. After World War II, the…

SR121 Mount Regis
Tuberculosis sanatoriums were numerous in the first half of the last century. By the late 1960s, tuberculosis was controllable and facilities, such as Mount Regis, were converted to other uses usually health related.

SR122 Salem High School
What is now known as the Academy Street School served Salem’s students for many years. The building on the right was constructed in 1890 with an addition (left) coming in 1895. The original portion served the lower grades and the addition became…

SR122 Salem High School
The architectural drawing gracing this card was done by G.R. Ragan. The new high school, built on Broad Street, opened in 1912, relieving the overcrowded Academy Street school. Additions followed in 1920 and 1923, but the school was heavily damaged…

SR124 Graded School A
– The “Graded School A” was erected on Water Street as a six-room frame school in 1890-91 (the same year the Academy Street School opened for white students). By 1895, the school had an enrollment of 258 under the principal John…

SR126 G.W. Carver
– The George Washington Carver School was opened in the fall of 1940. The construction cost was $125,000. This new school was in response to the deterioration of the Water Street school

SR127 Baptist Church
The Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and dedicated their sanctuary at the corner of North Broad Street and College Avenue in 1873. An educational building was added in 1952. The new sanctuary seen today was erected in 1967.

SR128 St. Pauls Episcopal
St. Paul's Episcopal congregation was organized around 1867. The congregation moved a few times before erecting this sanctuary on Main Street in 1911 There have since been numerous acquisitions and additions to the facility.

SR130 Bethel Methodist Episcopal
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was started in 1870 and at the date of this card’s printing (1912), it stood on the corner of Water Street and Calhoun.

SR131 Central Methodist
Known originally as the First Methodist Episcopal Church when organized in 1908, the congregation later was called Second Methodist (1939) and then Central Methodist (1954). The sanctuary shown here was consecrated on June 26, 1955.

SR132 First Presbyterian
While termed “First” church here, the sanctuary is known as home to the Salem Presbyterian Church located on Main Street. Salem Presbyterian was organized in 1831 and dedicated this sanctuary in 1852. Additions were made in 1914 and 1958.

SR133 College Lutheran
College Lutheran Church – This collage shows the various structures associated with College Lutheran. The congregation first met in the Roanoke College chapel (top left) from 1852 until 1858; then they built their first sanctuary (top right) which…

SR134 Pentecostal Holiness
The congregation was organized in 1915. Their present sanctuary, shown here, on North Bruffey Street was dedicated in April 1953.

SR135 Methodist Episcopal South
This was the sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church congregation from 1904 until 1953. It was located on the northeast corner of College and Clay Avenues.

SR136 Homestead Hotel
The Homestead Hotel has a long history. Built by David Wade in 1802, it was formerly known as the Old Globe Tavern with five huge fireplaces and 27-inch thick walls. At the time this card was published, it was the only original stage coach tavern…

SR137 Lake Spring
The purchaser of this card sent the following message to his brothers: “Your letter received this morning…Father is working for the Virginian R.R. at present…I expect to take an examination for a R.R. mail clerk sometime this fall.” His…

SR144 Sherwood Burial Park
The Sherwood Burial Park, named for the old “Sherwood” estate that was near the property, was developed on a 35-acre tract in 1928 by C.B. Strickler.

SR145 Glass Plant
In 1911, the Piedmont Glass Company purchased and resurrected the old glass plant. During the early years, the plant employed some 125 workers who produced glass bottles for a variety of uses. The plant was closed for two months each summer due to…

SR146 J.J. Newberry
One of the more contemporary establishments was J.J. Newberry Company. The card boasts, “Completely air-conditioned on two large selling floors, approximately ¾ mile counter space carrying over 30,000 separate items of merchandise. A modern…

SR147 Hotel Fort Lewis
In 1927, Salem businessman Henry A. Oakey purchased the former Hotel Salem and changed its name to Hotel Fort Lewis. The structure was demolished in 1974 .

SR148 Post Office
The construction of a "new" Federal post office on Main Street was a saga of many years. Land purchased by the government in 1917 went undeveloped until 1922 when construction finally commenced. The post office officially opened in June of 1923.

SR149 Pierponts Brick Works
Pierpont's Brick Works was owned and operated by Salem businessman George E. Pierpont. In 1908, Pierpont was named as one of the privileged few in Salem to own an automobile.

SR150 Andrew Lewis Monument
One of the most notable citizens in the region’s early history was General Andrew Lewis. Though Lewis died before the town of Salem was officially plotted by James Simpson, his life was spent in its general vicinity. This monument was erected in…

SR152 Municipal Field
The land on which Municipal Field was located had originally been designed for use as an elementary school site. Further study, however, prompted Salem’s leaders to appreciate its use more for athletics. Thus, in the spring of 1932, Municipal…

SR153 Salem Filtration Plant
The filtration plant was an early element in Salem’s water supply infrastructure, but the water supply system itself dated to the 18th century. In 1874, the first concept for a water supply system was advanced to the town council, and in 1875…

SR154 Salem Civic Center
Dedicated in 1967 and financed through the sale of bond proceeds, the Salem-Roanoke Valley Civic Center opened as a recreational and cultural center for Salem. Noted historian Norwood Middleton termed this as “the single most talked-about project…

SR155 Farmers National Bank
The Farmers National Bank was organized May 8, 1871, with capital of $75,000. Through the leadership of Salem’s prominent businessmen, the bank weathered successfully economic turbulence that put other banks under during the latter part of the…

SR162 Bittle Library
Bittle Memorial Library was named for Roanoke College’s early president, Dr. David Bittle. Bittle led the college through its move to Salem and during the Civil War. Bittle was one of three Salem leaders who officially surrendered Salem to the…

SR167 Roanoke College
Smith Hall, named for a past president of the college, was erected in 1941. Designed by the firm of Eubank and Caldwell in Roanoke, the structure (originally a residence hall for forty women) was built and equipped for a total cost of $50,174.

SR168 Roanoke College
The gymnasium shown here was built in 1930 for a total cost of $138,354. The gym was but one component of a large master plan to expand the college’s facilities. Unfortunately, only the gymnasium was completed on time as the Depression stopped…

SR170 Roanoke College
The Class of 1933 contributed funds for the landscaping and drive that made the “High Street Gateway.” The entrance and subsequent drive were made necessary at the time by the large number of students possessing automobiles as well as…

SR174 Veterans Administration
The VA facility erected structures such as the nurses’ home to house medical staff. The first patients were admitted on April 23, 1935. Some of the patients, as a form of therapy, actually conducted farming operations on the grounds of the…

SR179 Parkway Motel
The Parkway Motel was located on Route 220, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, three miles south of Roanoke. The card promoted the motel as having “room telephone, air conditioning, all tile baths, hot water heat, air foam mattresses.” The motel…

SR180 Memphis Special
“Memphis Special” made its debut through the Roanoke Valley on June 20th, 1909, running between Memphis, Tennessee, and New York City. The Memphis Special remained for years a popular passenger train, being the fastest and most direct route to…

SR183 Keister Home
Sanatoriums were popular at the turn of the last century in the care and treatment of tuberculosis patients. Often doctors or others in the healthcare profession would establish homes and other institutions with such a purpose. Tuberculosis often…

SR184 Scottie's Tavern
Scottie’s Tavern was three miles north of Roanoke on Route 11 and specialized in country ham, chicken and steak dinners. It even offered curb service. J.S. Scott was the manager.

SR186 Martha Washington Candies
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of…

SR187 Mountain Stroll
This view shows strollers atop Mill Mountain. The top of the mountain had park grounds and trails and was a popular destination with the incline and the watch tower.

SR190 Bell Telephone
The Bell Telephone Company began service in Roanoke on May 19, 1884. In 1895, Bell Telephone introduced long-distance service. That year Roanokers could call Bedford, Lynchburg and Danville.