Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Miscellaneous Photographs

Dublin Core

Title

Miscellaneous Photographs

Collection Items

VF1 Smith Mountain Lake Dam
Aerial view of Smith Mountain Lake Dam.

VF2 Smith Mountain Lake
Aerial view of Smith Mountain Lake.

VF3 Smith Mountain Lake Picnic Area
Picnic area at Smith Mountain Lake.

VF4 Smith Mountain Lake
Aerial view of Smith Mountain Lake.

VF5 Smith Mountain Lake
Aerial view of Smith Mountain Lake Dam.

VF6 Smith Mountain Lake
Model of Smith Mountain Lake.

MP 1.1 Fortune, William D.
William D. Fortune as an infant. Fortune was born 24 September 1908 to George E. Fortune and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

MP 1.2 Fortune, Frances C.
Frances Elvira Fortune as an infant. She was born 31 December 1909 to George E. and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

MP 1.3 Fortune, Roberta B.
Roberta Blanton Fortune as an infant. She was born 6 August 1913 to George E. Fortune and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

MP 1.4 Wood, Molly W.
Molly W. Wood milking a cow at her son Jessie's farm in Cave Spring.

MP 1.5 Fortune, George E.
George Fortune as a child. Born in Rocky Mount, 22 February 1879, to Charles McDonald Fortune and Cleopatra Board Gill.

MP 1.6 Fortune, George E.
George Fortune poses next to a car. Location unknown.

MP 1.7 Fortune, George E.
Portrait of George Fortune.

MP 1.8 Streetcar
Unidentified streetcar employees pose next to a streetcar in Richmond. Destination sign reads Oakwood and Broad Street.

MP 1.9 Streetcar
Unidentified streetcar employees pose next to a streetcar. Location unknown.

MP 2.0 Roanoke Aerial
General view of Roanoke from 8000 ft.

MP 2.1 Roanoke Aerial
An aerial view looking toward Mill Mountain. I581 can be seen under construction on the left .

MP 2.2 Mill Mountain Zoo
An aerial view of Mill Mountain Zoo. The zoo opened in 1952.

MP 2.3 Victory Stadium
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 2.31 Victory Stadium
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 2.4 Roanoke City Mills
An aerial view of the Roanoke City Mills, once located at 1750 Jefferson Street. The mill facility was razed in 2009.

MP 2.5 Hotel Roanoke
Hotel Roanoke. Civic Center and I581 can be seen to the right. First Baptist Church, destroyed by fire in 1995, and St. Andrews can be seen at left.

MP 2.6 Franklin and Williamson
Looking south toward the intersection of Franklin Road and Williamson Road. The parking lots visible here became the Norfolk Southern building, Franklin Plaza, and a parking garage.

MP 2.7 Elliott Buick
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.71 Elliott Buick
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.72 Elliott Buick
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.8 Roanoke Valley Motors
Roanoke Valley Motors, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road.

MP 2.9 Roanoke Industrial Loan
Roanoke Industrial Loan and Thrift, formerly located at 20 Franklin Road.

MP 3.0 Reid and Cutshall
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 3.1 Reid and Cutshall
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 3.11 Reid and Cutshall
Reid and Cutshall Furniture Wayside, formerly located at 3441 Brandon Avenue.

MP 3.12 Reid and Cutshall
Interior view of Reid and Cutshall Furniture. This photo is believed to have been taken in the Brandon Avenue location. Individuals unidentified.

MP 3.13 Reid and Cutshall
Interior view of Reid and Cutshall Furniture. This photo is believed to have been taken in the Brandon Avenue location.

MP 3.2 Hallmark Shop
Hallmark Hall of Cards store, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson Street.

MP 3.21 Hallmark Shop
Interior view of Hallmark Hall of Cards, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson St.

MP 3.3 A&U Mobile Homes
A&U Mobile Homes, formerly located at 1827 W. Main Street in Salem

MP 3.4 Roanoke Salem Plaza
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 3.41 Roanoke Salem Plaza
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 3.42 Roanoke Salem Plaza
Two unidentified women pose next to Christmas decorations at the Roanoke Salem Plaza.

MP 3.5 Towers Mall
Towers Mall under construction. Towers opened in 1961 at 2207 Colonial Avenue. At the time, it was reported in the Roanoke Times that Towers was the largest shopping center in the state. This photo depicts the upper level.

MP 3.6 Peters Creek Brethren
Peters Creek Church of the Brethren, located in the 5300 block of Cove Road.

MP 3.7 Mill Mountain Star
Mill Mountain Star was constructed in 1949 by the Roanoke Merchants Association to kick off the 1949 holiday shopping season. Though at first the star was not meant to be lit all year, it became popular enough with citizens that it was decided to…

MP 3.8 Hut Restaurant
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

MP 3.81 Hut Restaurant
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

MP 3.9 Hotel Roanoke Garage
Garage under the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 4.0 Home on Franklin
Home formerly located on the southwest corner of Franklin Road and Broadway Avenue.

MP 4.1 Terry House
The Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park, was the first library in the city.

MP 4.2 Mabry Mill
Mabry Mill was built by Edwin Boston Mabry. E.B. Mabry returned to Floyd County in 1903 and began the construction of the mill. It was first a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, then became a sawmill. By 1905 it was in operation as a gristmill. By…

MP 4.3 Roanoke Country Club
Promotional shot of golfers at Roanoke Country Club. The club had its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899, It relocated to its current location in the early 1920s.

MP 4.4 Salem Avenue
Looking west on Salem Avenue toward the intersection with Jefferson Street.

MP 4.5 Roanoke Memorial
Rear view of Roanoke Memorial Hospital

MP 4.6 Fishburn Library
Fishburn Library at Hollins University

MP 4.7 Patrick Henry Hotel
Superimposed image of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.71 Patrick Henry Hotel
Dining room of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.8 Henri Kessler
An unidentified employee works with a fur coat at Henri Kessler Furriers, formerly located at 117 Campbell Avenue.

MP 4.9 Noble's Flowers
Nobel's Flowers, formerly located at 430 Church Avenue.

MP 5.0 Lady Byrd Johnson
Lady Byrd Johnson greets the press and spectators at Roanoke Regional Airport during the Landscape-Landmark Tour. This tour led to the Highway Beautification Act of 1965

MP 5.01 Lady Byrd Johnson
Lady Byrd Johnson greets the press and spectators at Roanoke Regional Airport during the Landscape-Landmark Tour. This tour led to the Highway Beautification Act of 1965. She stands with Director of the National Park Service, George Harzog.

MP 5.2 WSLS Channel 10
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.21 WSLS Channel 10
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.22 Election Returns
Staff of WSLS Channel 10 await results of the 1967 elections in the newsroom.

MP 5.23 Election Returns
Staff of WSLS Channel 10 await results of the 1967 elections in the newsroom.

MP 5.24 WSLS Channel 10
Advertising displays in the windows of WSLS Channel 10, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.25 WSLS Channel 10
Inside the WSLS Channel 10 studio during merchandising promotion.

MP 5.3 Advertising Clinic
Unidentified women sit at registration desk of an Advertising Clinic held at the Hotel Roanoke to promote the Valley's businesses and industries.

MP 5.31 Advertising Clinic
Advertising displays at an advertising clinic held at the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 5.32 Finks Advertisement
Marcia Fink woman holds a copy of an advertisement for Fink's Jewelers printed in Life Magazine at an advertising clinic

MP 5.35 Roanoke Advertising Club
Display at an ad clinic for the Roanoke Advertising Club.

MP 6.0 Heironimus Rendering
Artist rendering of Heironimus. Artist unknown. Location is 401 S, Jefferson Street.

MP 7.0 Crystal Clear Ice
Crystal Clear Ice Cubes vending machine.

MP 8.0 Andrews-Pitzer-Butler
Drivers of Andrews-Pitzer-Butler Fuel Oil Corporation pose next to their trucks in Highland Park.

MP 9.0 Roanoke Mills Sign
Marquee sign for Roanoke Mills.

MP 9.1 Roanoker Cafeteria Sign<br /><br />
The Roanoker Cafeteria, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue.

MP 9.2 Bride&#039;s House Sign
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 9.21 Bride&#039;s House Sign
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 10.0 Holdren&#039;s Service Van
Unidentified service employee of Holdren's stands next to service van at 2272 Westover Avenue.

MP 11.0 Fink&#039;s Jewelers
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 11.1 Fink&#039;s Jewelers
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 12.0 Roanoke EMS
Unidentified members of Williamson Road Life Saving and First Aid Crew suiting up.

MP 14.0 Natural Bridge
Natural Bridge

MP 15.0 State Capitol
Virginia State Capitol Building.

MP 15.1 State Capitol
Virginia State Capitol Building.

MP 16 Kenmore Plantation
Kenmore Plantation, the home of Fielding and Betty Washington Lewis. Betty was the sister of George Washington.

MP 17.0 Steve Brody
Portrait of Steve Brody

MP 18  East Building
East Building on the campus of Hollins University.

MP 19 Cannaday House
Cannaday House, also known as Waverly Plantation was purchased by Woodrum Airport in 1934. The house was used as a weather station and terminal for the remainder of the 1928s. It was razed in 1955 to make room for growth of the airport.

MP 20.0 LAWS Children
Lawrence Augustine Washington Society Children of the American Revolution at the Daughters of the American Revolution state conference. Members: Holding flag - Charles F. Massey, Junior Vice President, Walter P. Massey, Helen Price Hotoler, Retha…

MP 20.1 LAWS Children
See MP 20.0

MP 21.0 USS Roanoke
USS Roanoke

MP 22.0 Riverside Filling Station
Riverside Filling Station, formerly located at 13th Street next to Woodrum Bridge, which would be replaced by Memorial Bridge.

MP 22.1 Waverly Filling Station
Waverly Filling Station, formerly located at the corner of 14th Street and Jamison Avenue.

MP 22.2 Marathon Filling Station
Marathon Filling Station, formerly located at 824 3rd Street.

MP 23.0 Bike Ride
George Davis, far left, poses for a photo during a bike ride up the old Mill Mountain road.

MP 24.0 Bedford School
Students from an unknown private school in Bedford. According to notes on photo, "This is a private school in Bedford at Mrs. Witt's house. Miss Amelia Buck, in center, is the teacher.

MP 25.0 Roanoke Fire Department
Unidentified Roanoke fireman pose on fire truck.

MP 26.0 Equipment Painters
Group photo of the Roanoke Chapter of the Union of Railroad Equipment Painters.

MP 27.0 Engine 2151
Engine 2151 of Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.1 Engine 601
Engine 601 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.2 Engine 604
Engine 604 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.3 Engine 609
Engine 609 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 28.1 Bryan Home
William Bryan's homestead at the Great Spring west of Salem was known as Bryan's On Roanoke, according to F.B. Kegley's Virginia Frontier. Photo depicts detail of stone chimney.

MP 28.2 Bryan Home
Unidentified group of men pose on the steps of a school or church(?) presumably on the Bryan Homestead property. Photo was included with Bryan Home photos.

MP 28.3 Bryan, Robert C.
Presumed photo of Robert C. Bryan, a descendant of William Bryan, owner of the Bryan Home. Photo was included with Bryan Home photos.

MP 29.0 School Group
Unidentified group of children pose in Elmwood Park. Terry House in background.

MP 30.0 The Barrens
The Barrens was built between 1865 and 1870 by Dr. Francis and Letitia Watts Sorrel. The home was sold to PC Huff in 1900. It stood on the present site of Valley View Mall.

MP 31.0 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This interior view is of the stage from the balcony.

MP 31.1 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the loge, just above the orchestra pit.

MP 31.2 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the ornately appointed foyer. The placard at left advertises the…

MP 31.3 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows paintings in the foyer as seen from the mezzanine.

MP 31.4 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of the mezzanine.

MP 31.5 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of a staircase from the mezzanine to the upper balcony and loges.

MP 31.6 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation unitl 1971; it was razed in 1973. This is a view of the auditorium and balcony as seen from the stage.

MP 31.7 American Theatre
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the theatre's main entrance with marble walls and brass doors.

MP 32.1 Fork Ridge Massacre
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.2 Fork Ridge Massacre
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.3 Fork Ridge Massacre
Bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Tennessee-Kentucky border. The…

MP 32.4 Fork Ridge Massacre
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the wheel of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.5 Fork Ridge Massacre
Bullet holes seen from the interior of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The…

MP 32.6 Fork Ridge Massacre
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 32.7 Fork Ridge Massacre
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 33.0 Barn Dinner Theatre
An interior view of the Barn Dinner Theatre. The theatre was created by Roanoker Howard Wolfe as a franchise in 1961. The chain grew to 27 theatres throughout the country. They were characterized by barn inspired architecture and included…

MP 34.0 Garlands Drugstore
Interior view of Garland's Drugstore, formerly located 1327 Grandin Road.

MPO 30 Roanoke Motor Car Company
Roanoke Motor Car Company, formerly located at 503 S. Jefferson Street. The company sold Chevrolets.

MPO 34 Huntingdon
Huntingdon, located at 320 Huntington Boulevard, was built circa 1820 by Elisha Betts. The home underwent extensive renovations in the late 1980s and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. It now operates as a bed and…

MP 24.1 Shawsville School
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.2a Shawsville School
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.2b Shawsville School
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.3 Shiloh School
Students in front of Shiloh School in Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hortense Deeds, Eva Reed, Gladys Grisso, Edna Wright, Mary Garman, Paris Wright, Roy Hall, Claude Garman, Nelson Alls, John Garman, Kermit Garman, Roy Brillhart, Clyde Brillhart,…

MP 24.4 Narrows School
Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hubert Brillhart, Kyle Shelor, Clovis Garman, ? Bennett, ? Bennett, Edna Brillhart, Hazel…

MP 38.0 Rivinus Room
Patrons use reference materials in the Rivinus Room at the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries

MP 38.1 Williamson Road Branch
Staff members prepare the Williamson Road Branch for opening.

MP 38.11 Williamson Road Branch
Unidentified men set the cornerstone at the Williamson Road Branch Library.

MP 38.12 Williamson Road Branch
Architectural rendering of the Williamson Road Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

MP 38.13 Williamson Road Branch
A newly completed Williamson Road Branch Library.

MP 38.14 Williamson Road Book Station
The Williamson Road Branch found its beginnings as the Williamson Road Book Station, formerly located at 2919 Williamson Road NE.

MP 38.01 Time Capsule
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary. Claude Settlemire, City Librarian, on left.

MP 38.02 Time Capsule
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary.

MP 4.45 Church Avenue
Boyd-Sweeney Company Hardware and National Business College, formerly located at 9-11 Church Avenue SW.

MP 4.44 Salem Avenue
Looking west from the 100 block of Salem Avenue SE. A horse takes a drink from the Dog's Mouth Fountain, visible at right.

MP 4.43 Salem Avenue
Looking west at saloons along Salem Avenue. The Silver Moon Quick Lunch, Raleigh Cafe and Brady's were located at approximately 20 Salem Avenue SW.

MP 4.42 Campbell Avenue
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. Sheen's Cafe was located at 119 Campbell Avenue SW. The building in the right background with balconies was the original Ponce de Leon Hotel.

MP 4.41 Jefferson Street
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Church Avenue intersection. Construction of the Liberty Trust Building can be seen in background. Sign advertises J.H. Marsteller's (a car enthusiast and businessman) "Model Garage", formerly located at 16…

MP 35.0 Police Inspection
Roanoke Police inspection at Maher Field.

MP 57.0 Roanoke Police Department
Roanoke Police Department in front of the Municipal Building.

MP 58.0 Ole 97
The aftermath of the wreck of the "Ole 97". Due to excessive speed in an attempt to maintain schedule, the train derailed at the Stillhouse Trestle near Danville, Virginia where the train careened off the side of the bridge, killing eleven personnel…

McCain1 Medical Complex
This medical complex on Henry Street at Centre Avenue NW included (top left) Community Drug Store, where Dr. Beverly Adams (bottom left) was a pharmacist. Also in the building was the dental office of Dr. H.T. Penn (on right).

McCain2 Lynhaven Smoke Shop
Gathering for a 1942 postcard at the Lynhaven Smoke Shop, formerly located at 125 N. Henry Street are from left: Mr. Roberts, Lorenzo Redd, Hobart Eggleston, Dr. George A. Moore, owner Bill Marshall and his son, James "Anse" Marshall.

McCain3 Lincoln Theatre
Group photo of Norfolk & Western Veterans Association Colored Division in front of the Lincoln Theatre. Originally built as the Strand Theatre (circa 1920). The Strand Theater took a new name “The Lincoln Theater”. The theater eventually became the…

MP 4.421 Campbell Avenue
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street during paving. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Krees & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.422 Campbell Avenue
Looking east on busy Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Kress & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.423 1st Street
Looking south on 1st Street from the 1st Street Bridge. The bridge connected Henry Street to Downtown Roanoke. The bridge was renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 2003.

MP 24.5 Mt. Pleasant School
Unidentified students in front of Mt. Pleasant School in Roanoke County.

MP 60.1 Peaks of Otter Lodge
Peaks of Otter Lodge in the latter part of construction.

MP 60.2 Peaks of Otter Lodge
Peaks of Otter Lodge

SHH001 Revlon Display
Window display for Revlon's Ultraviolet line of cosmetics at Heironimus.

SHH002 Poland Display
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Poland after it was invaded by the Nazis in World War II.

SHH003 N&amp;W Display
Window display at Heironimus chronicling the history of Norfolk & Western Railway during Roanoke's Golden Jubilee 50th Anniversary.

SHH004  Hara-Kiri Display
Window display at Heironimus for Hara-Kiri robes. Sign reads, "Newest, most popular in Hon. Japanese fashion apparel...authentic ceremonial Hara-robe."

SHH005 Santa Claus
Christmas window display at Heironimus utilizing the editorial written by Virginia O'Hanlon to the New York Sun on 21 September 1897 asking 'Is there a Santa Claus?'. The editorial prompted the reply of one of the paper's editors, Frances Church, to…

SHH006 Revlon Display
Window display at Heironimus advertising Revlon's Ultaviolet line of cosmetics.

SHH007 Heironimus Float
Heironimus Christmas parade float encouraging children to "Go on the air with Santa" on WSLS.

SHH008 Tableware Displays
Displays of tableware at Heirnomimus.

SHH009 Christmas Display
Christmas window display for children's art supplies at Heironimus.

SHH010 Calexico Display
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH011 Calexico Colorama
Floor displays at Heironimus for the Calexico Colorama clothing line.

SHH012 Luxembourg Display
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Luxembourg.

SHH013 Children&#039;s Department
A view inside the children's department at Heironimus.

SHH014 Redwood Display
Window display at Heironimus promoting products made from California redwoods.

SHH017 Calexico Display
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH018 Czechoslovakia Display
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Czechoslovakia.

SHH019 Virginia College Display
Window display at Heironimus dedicated to the history of Virginia College.

SHH020 McGregor Displays
Floor displays at Heironimus for McGregor Menswear

SHH021 Fabric Department
View of the fabric department of Heironimus.

SHH022 Housewares
View of the housewares department of Heironimus decorated with a fairy tale motif.

SHH023 Heironimus
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH024 Heironimus Shoppers
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH025 Parade Spectators
A crowd gathers in front of Heironimus on Campbell Avenue to watch the Roanoke Christmas parade.

SHH026 Children&#039;s Department
The children's department at Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

FC001  Willis High School
Willis High School in Floyd County, VA. The school closed after the 1961-62 school year.

FC002 Mountain Normal School
Mountain Normal School dormitory at Willis in Floyd County, VA.

FC003 Old Mountain Normal
The long abandoned old Mountain Normal School at Willis in Floyd County, VA. The Normal School opened in 1893.

FC004 Willis High School
Willis High School under construction.

FC005 WHS Cornerstone
The cornerstone of Willis High School.

FC007 Willis High School
Willis High School shortly after opening.

FC008 Willis High School
Willis High School after the addition was completed.

FC010 Willis Elementary School
Willis Elementary School.

FC011 Rollie Phillips Store
Rollie N. Phillips store and gas station, located in the Indian Valley area of Floyd County. Phillips opened his service station in 1927.

FC012 Floyd Esso
Floyd Esso Service Center in Floyd County.

FC013 Mountain Normal School
Mountain Normal School students posing in front of the dormitory building.

FC014 Willis High School
Willis High School. The agricultural building is at right.

PGCC01 Piney Grove Christian Church
Piney Grove Christian Church.The church was located in Roanoke County and was razed in the early 1970s due to the creation/expansion of Route 419. The church was located where the on-ramp is located from 419 to 220 South, near Tanglewood Mall. The…

SF001 Church Avenue Bus Depot
Bus depot, formerly located at 16 West Church Avenue.

RNRV1 Appalachian Power
Group photo of Appalachian Power Company workers in Anawalt, West Virginia to install power lines. Arch Stockton holds rolled blue prints and reins of horse.

RNRV2 McAfee Knob
An unidentified man stands on the rock formation known as McAfee Knob. McAfee Knob is one of the most photographed places on the Appalachian Trail.

RNRV4 Paul Davis
Dr. Paul Davis holds his daughter Pauline while on leave during World War I. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre for his service in French hospitals.

RNRV5 Davis Children
Paul, Edith, and Frangie Davis with Frank the horse at Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV6 Davis Men
Dr. John Gibson Davis (2nd from right) with his sons Hal, Algie, Fred, John Jr., and Paul. Dr. Davis' sons also became doctors.

RNRV8 Paine Family
William Henry and Rosa Proffit Paine with children Helen and Robert Edward.

RNRV9 Ruth and Edith
Ruth Mason (left) and Edith Davis Paine.

RNRV10 Davis Family
Zora and Dr. John G. Davis and children with longtime housekeeper, Vivvie.

RNRV11 Edith Paine
Edith Davis Paine holds an air rifle at the Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV12 John Gibson Davis
Dr. John Gibson Davis.

RNRV13 VFW Banquet
Professor Charles Rowe and his Rhythm Boys perform for a Veterans of Foreign Wars banquet at the Hotel Roanoke.

RNRV14 Vest Furniture
Vest Furniture Company, formerly located at 109 Campbell Avenue SW. Sid Vest, owner, is pictured in white shirt.

RNRV15 Confederate Veterans
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV16 Confederate Veterans
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV17 Confederate Veterans
Parade participants for Confederate veterans ride a float through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV18 Mountain Park
Check Room and Snack Stand in Mountain Park.

RNRV19 Mountain Park
Popcorn stand at Mountain Park. Lillie Solleday on right.

RNRV20 City Market
Customers peruse the City Market.

RNRV21 Market Street
Farmer in wagon pulled by oxen on Market Street.

RNRV22 Mountain Park
Dance Pavilion and The Thriller rollercoaster in Mountain Park.

RNRV23 Views
Looking north from South Roanoke toward Downtown. Tinker Mountain is visible in the background.

RNRV24 Wagon
Wagon pulled by oxen travels through an unidentified residential neighborhood.

RNRV25 Country Drive
Three unidentified men and a little girl pose with a Mitchell automobile.

RNRV26 Peach Orchard
Three unidentified men in a peach orchard,

RNRV27 Men in Park
Two unidentified men in a park.

RNRV28 Steele Family
Photo of members of the Steele Family. Front row, 3rd from left: Carl Steele; Back row, 3rd from left John Steele, 4th from left Alma Steele. All others unidentified.

RNRV29 Alma Steele
At left is Alma Beckner Steele with two unidentified women.

RNRV30 Beckner Family
Family Photo: Front row, 6th from left Isabell Clingenpeel, 7th from left Carl Steele, 8th from left Helen Clingenpeel, 9th from left Lewis Clingenpeel; Back row, 11th from left John Beckner, 12th from left Jackson Beckner, and 13th from left Ann…

RNRV31 W.J. Rigney
W.J. Rigney was Chief of Police for the City of Roanoke from 1921 through 1928.

RNRV32 Mountain Park
Shooting gallery, The Thriller rollercoaster, and bowling alley at Mountain Park.

RNRV33 Crystal Spring
Crystal Spring reservoir and pump house. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

RNRV34 High Street Baptist
Presentation of an auto to Reverend W. E. Lee, of High Street Baptist Church for the church’s 41st anniversary.

RNRV35 Rockledge Inn
Rockledge Inn on Mill Mountain.

RNRV36 Enon Baptist
Group photo of members of Enon Baptist Church.

RNRV37 Roanoke Ice
Workers deliver ice for Roanoke Ice Corporation. Roanoke Ice Corportation began operations in 1913 after Consumer Ice Company and Griggs Packing Company.

RNRV38 Horse and Buggy
Horse and buggy in Downtown Roanoke.

RNRV39 Auto Tire Shop
Auto Tire Shop, formerly located at 501 2nd Street SW.

RNRV40 Eagles Band
Eagles Band.

RNRV41 N&amp;W Employees
Norfolk & Western employees in front of Norfolk & Western offices.

RNRV42 N&amp;W Baseball Team
Norfolk & Western baseball team.

RNRV44 Streetcar Conductors
Roanoke Railway & Electric streetcar conductors.

RNRV45 Campbell and Jefferson
A busy day at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street. The Terry Building is visible in the background.

RNRV46 Blackwell Grocery
J.E. Blackwell Grocery, formerly located at 4 Market Square.

RNRV47 Danmore Family
Mr. and Mrs. Danmore at their home at 413 3rd Street NW.

RNRV48 Police Officers
Chief of Police W. J. Rigney (front passenger) with other unidentified police officers.

RNRV49 Burrell Memorial
Ambulance in front of Burrell Memorial Hospital. Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany…

RNRV50 Campbell Avenue
A streetcar travels along Campbell Avenue near the intersection with Jefferson Street. Terry Building visible at right.

RNRV51 Henry McGuire
Henry P. McGuire stands in a J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

RNRV52 Daughters of Liberty
Women on a Daughters of Liberty float, likely for a Liberty Bonds parade.

RNRV53 RC Football
Roanoke College football team.

RNRV54 RC Baseball
Roanoke College baseball team.
View all 243 items