Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (288 total)

VHBC8.jpg
Attendees at the last worship service in the wooden A-frame chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church before moving worship to the new brick sanctuary.

VHBC7.jpg
Looking west on Memorial Avenue (then Virginia Avenue) from Grandin Road at the original A-frame chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church (foreground) and construction of new brick sanctuary.

VHBC6.jpg
The new sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church under construction on Memorial Avenue (then Virginia Avenue).

VHBC5.jpg
Laying of the cornerstone for the new sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

VHBC4.jpg
Interior of the original wooden chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

VHBC3.jpg
Wooden chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church on what is now the 2000 block of Memorial Avenue, SW (then Virginia Avenue) near the intersection with Grandin Road.

VHBC2.jpg
The original A-frame chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church is being moved to make way for the construction of a new sanctuary.

VHBC1.jpg
Original A-frame chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church is being moved to make way for the construction of brick sanctuary.

JLSB1.jpg
Jo Lane Stern Battalion, Company B, in front of the Roanoke Auditorium. Col. Jo Lane Stern, inspector general of the State, mustered in the Jo Lane Stern Battalion of Virginia volunteers in Roanoke, composed of four full companies, numbering 267 men…

KH4.jpg
The Thomas A. Kinsey family on front porch of the home at 1510 Franklin Road, SW.

KH3.jpg
Thomas A. and Josephine Kinsey in front of their home at 1510 Franklin Road, SW.

KH2.jpg
Thomas A. Kinsey home, formerly located at 1510 Franklin Road SW.

KH1.jpg
Thomas A. Kinsey home, formerly located at 1510 Franklin Road SW.

LSC6.jpg
John M. Oakey and Sons garage, located at 321 Luck Avenue SW, provided the first ambulance and garage for Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew.

LSC5.jpg
Some equipment, including an "iron lung" and 1947 Oldsmobile 78 emergency vehicle on display at Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew.

LSC4.jpg
Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew equipment display arranged for the public.

LSC3.jpg
Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew purchased it first ambulance in 1932, a Ford panel truck.

LSC2.jpg
Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew equipment display, including the crew's first ambulance, a Cadillac donated by John M. Oakey and Sons Funeral Home.

LSC1.jpg
Julian Stanley Wise founded the Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew in 1928. Wise had witnessed a drowning in the Roanoke River as a child. This incident greatly impacted his life, resulting in the formation of the first volunteer rescue squad…

MP 31.9 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973.

MP 31.8 American Theatre.jpg
The original American Theatre building was located at 217 S. Jefferson Street. Built by the Young Men's Christian Association in 1902, it would later be sold to an investment group and converted into a theatre in 1913. This building was razed in…

GM012.jpg
Window display of Glenn-Minnich after remodeling. The slogans of the store were, "The store with the friendly door." and "Clothes for men and men who stay young."

GM011.jpg
LeCompte Glenn in front of Glenn-Minnich, formerly located at 108 W. Campbell Avenue.

GM010.jpg
The shoe department at Glenn-Minnich.

GM009.jpg
Street-level entrance of Glenn-Minnich, formerly located at 108 W. Campbell Avenue.

GM008.jpg
Amy Jo Glenn (left) and Vetty Beckwith Glenn cutting cake inside Glenn-Minnich on the occasion of the store's Ruby Jubilee or fortieth anniversary.

GM007.jpg
Interior of Glenn-Minnich after a recent remodel.

GM006.jpg
Interior of Glenn-Minnich after a recent remodel.

GM005.jpg
The College Shop in Glenn-Minnich shown after a recent remodel.

GM004.jpg
Interior of Glenn-Minnich after a recent remodel.

GM003.jpg
The Boy Scout Department after a recent remodel at Glenn-Minnich, formerly located 108 W. Campbell Avenue.

GM002.jpg
Cutting a cake celebrating Glenn-Minnich's Rub Jubilee or forty years in business are, left to right, Estelle Penn, Nancy P. Deyerle, LeCompte Glenn Deyerle, unidentified, and Mildred Glenn.

GM001.jpg
The Glenn-Minnich store, formerly located at 108 W. Campbell Avenue, on closing day. Glenn-Minnich operated from 1913 until 1960 and was founded by C.B. Minnich, Myrl Glenn, and H.A. Glenn.

MP 5.38 Virginia Heights Elementary.jpg
Virginia Heights Elementary School is located at 1210 Amherst Street SW.

MP 5.37 528 Marshall Avenue.jpg
Home located at 528 Marshall Avenue SW.

MP 5.39 McNease Shoe Company.jpg
McNease Shoe Company, formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue SE. At left is the owner, Wallace M. McNease. Others unidentified.

MP 5.41 Lakeside.jpg
Ferris wheel and Scrambler at Lakeside Park

MP 2.12 Roanoke Aerial.jpg
Aerial view of Downtown Roanoke looking west.

MP 2.32 Victory Stadium.jpg
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 5.36 Oakeys Downtown.jpg
Interior of Oakey's Downtown chapel.

MP 5.381 William Ruffner Middle copy.jpg
William Ruffner Middle School, formerly located at 3601 Ferncliff Avenue NW. The school opened in 1970 and closed in 2009. The building is used as an operations center by Roanoke City Public Schools.

MP 50.3 Crystal Spring Laundry.jpg
Crystal Spring Laundry and Cleaners, formerly located at 2049 E. Main Street in Salem.

MP 50.2 Crystal Spring Laundry.jpg
Crystal Spring Laundry and Cleaners, formerly located at 3008 Williamson Road NW.

MP 50.1 Crystal Spring Laundry.jpg
Crystal Spring Laundry and Cleaners, formerly located at 720 Franklin Road SW.

RNRV54.jpg
Roanoke College baseball team.

RNRV53.jpg
Roanoke College football team.

RNRV52.jpg
Women on a Daughters of Liberty float, likely for a Liberty Bonds parade.

RNRV51.jpg
Henry P. McGuire stands in a J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

RNRV50.jpg
A streetcar travels along Campbell Avenue near the intersection with Jefferson Street. Terry Building visible at right.

RNRV49.jpg
Ambulance in front of Burrell Memorial Hospital. Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany…

RNRV48.jpg
Chief of Police W. J. Rigney (front passenger) with other unidentified police officers.

RNRV47.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. Danmore at their home at 413 3rd Street NW.

RNRV46.jpg
J.E. Blackwell Grocery, formerly located at 4 Market Square.

RNRV45.jpg
A busy day at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street. The Terry Building is visible in the background.

RNRV44.jpg
Roanoke Railway & Electric streetcar conductors.

RNRV42.jpg
Norfolk & Western baseball team.

RNRV41.jpg
Norfolk & Western employees in front of Norfolk & Western offices.

RNRV40.jpg
Eagles Band.

RNRV39.jpg
Auto Tire Shop, formerly located at 501 2nd Street SW.

RNRV38.jpg
Horse and buggy in Downtown Roanoke.

RNRV37.jpg
Workers deliver ice for Roanoke Ice Corporation. Roanoke Ice Corportation began operations in 1913 after Consumer Ice Company and Griggs Packing Company.

RNRV36.jpg
Group photo of members of Enon Baptist Church.

RNRV35.jpg
Rockledge Inn on Mill Mountain.

RNRV34.jpg
Presentation of an auto to Reverend W. E. Lee, of High Street Baptist Church for the church’s 41st anniversary.

RNRV33.jpg
Crystal Spring reservoir and pump house. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

RNRV32.jpg
Shooting gallery, The Thriller rollercoaster, and bowling alley at Mountain Park.

RNRV31.jpg
W.J. Rigney was Chief of Police for the City of Roanoke from 1921 through 1928.

RNRV30.jpg
Family Photo: Front row, 6th from left Isabell Clingenpeel, 7th from left Carl Steele, 8th from left Helen Clingenpeel, 9th from left Lewis Clingenpeel; Back row, 11th from left John Beckner, 12th from left Jackson Beckner, and 13th from left Ann…

RNRV29.jpg
At left is Alma Beckner Steele with two unidentified women.

RNRV28.jpg
Photo of members of the Steele Family. Front row, 3rd from left: Carl Steele; Back row, 3rd from left John Steele, 4th from left Alma Steele. All others unidentified.

RNRV27.jpg
Two unidentified men in a park.

RNRV26.jpg
Three unidentified men in a peach orchard,

Tags:

RNRV25.jpg
Three unidentified men and a little girl pose with a Mitchell automobile.

RNRV24.jpg
Wagon pulled by oxen travels through an unidentified residential neighborhood.

RNRV23.jpg
Looking north from South Roanoke toward Downtown. Tinker Mountain is visible in the background.

RNRV22.jpg
Dance Pavilion and The Thriller rollercoaster in Mountain Park.

RNRV21.jpg
Farmer in wagon pulled by oxen on Market Street.

RNRV20.jpg
Customers peruse the City Market.

RNRV19.jpg
Popcorn stand at Mountain Park. Lillie Solleday on right.

RNRV18.jpg
Check Room and Snack Stand in Mountain Park.

RNRV17.jpg
Parade participants for Confederate veterans ride a float through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV16.jpg
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV15.jpg
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV14.jpg
Vest Furniture Company, formerly located at 109 Campbell Avenue SW. Sid Vest, owner, is pictured in white shirt.

RNRV13.jpg
Professor Charles Rowe and his Rhythm Boys perform for a Veterans of Foreign Wars banquet at the Hotel Roanoke.

RNRV12.jpg
Dr. John Gibson Davis.

RNRV11.jpg
Edith Davis Paine holds an air rifle at the Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV10.jpg
Zora and Dr. John G. Davis and children with longtime housekeeper, Vivvie.

RNRV9.jpg
Ruth Mason (left) and Edith Davis Paine.

RNRV8.jpg
William Henry and Rosa Proffit Paine with children Helen and Robert Edward.

RNRV6.jpg
Dr. John Gibson Davis (2nd from right) with his sons Hal, Algie, Fred, John Jr., and Paul. Dr. Davis' sons also became doctors.

RNRV5.jpg
Paul, Edith, and Frangie Davis with Frank the horse at Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV4.jpg
Dr. Paul Davis holds his daughter Pauline while on leave during World War I. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre for his service in French hospitals.

RNRV2.jpg
An unidentified man stands on the rock formation known as McAfee Knob. McAfee Knob is one of the most photographed places on the Appalachian Trail.

RNRV1.jpg
Group photo of Appalachian Power Company workers in Anawalt, West Virginia to install power lines. Arch Stockton holds rolled blue prints and reins of horse.

SF001 Church Avenue Bus Depot copy.jpg
Bus depot, formerly located at 16 West Church Avenue.

pgcc001.jpg
Piney Grove Christian Church.The church was located in Roanoke County and was razed in the early 1970s due to the creation/expansion of Route 419. The church was located where the on-ramp is located from 419 to 220 South, near Tanglewood Mall. The…

FC014.jpg
Willis High School. The agricultural building is at right.

FC013.jpg
Mountain Normal School students posing in front of the dormitory building.

FC012.jpg
Floyd Esso Service Center in Floyd County.

FC011.jpg
Rollie N. Phillips store and gas station, located in the Indian Valley area of Floyd County. Phillips opened his service station in 1927.

FC010.jpg
Willis Elementary School.

FC008.jpg
Willis High School after the addition was completed.

FC007.jpg
Willis High School shortly after opening.

FC005.jpg
The cornerstone of Willis High School.

FC004.jpg
Willis High School under construction.

FC003.jpg
The long abandoned old Mountain Normal School at Willis in Floyd County, VA. The Normal School opened in 1893.

FC002.jpg
Mountain Normal School dormitory at Willis in Floyd County, VA.

FC001.jpg
Willis High School in Floyd County, VA. The school closed after the 1961-62 school year.

SHH026.jpg
The children's department at Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH025.jpg
A crowd gathers in front of Heironimus on Campbell Avenue to watch the Roanoke Christmas parade.

SHH024.jpg
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH023.jpg
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH022.jpg
View of the housewares department of Heironimus decorated with a fairy tale motif.

SHH021.jpg
View of the fabric department of Heironimus.

SHH020.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for McGregor Menswear

SHH019.jpg
Window display at Heironimus dedicated to the history of Virginia College.

SHH018.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Czechoslovakia.

SHH017.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH014.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting products made from California redwoods.

SHH013.jpg
A view inside the children's department at Heironimus.

SHH012.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Luxembourg.

SHH011.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for the Calexico Colorama clothing line.

SHH010.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH009.jpg
Christmas window display for children's art supplies at Heironimus.

SHH008.jpg
Displays of tableware at Heirnomimus.

SHH007.jpg
Heironimus Christmas parade float encouraging children to "Go on the air with Santa" on WSLS.

SHH006.jpg
Window display at Heironimus advertising Revlon's Ultaviolet line of cosmetics.

SHH005.jpg
Christmas window display at Heironimus utilizing the editorial written by Virginia O'Hanlon to the New York Sun on 21 September 1897 asking 'Is there a Santa Claus?'. The editorial prompted the reply of one of the paper's editors, Frances Church, to…

SHH004.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Hara-Kiri robes. Sign reads, "Newest, most popular in Hon. Japanese fashion apparel...authentic ceremonial Hara-robe."

SHH003.jpg
Window display at Heironimus chronicling the history of Norfolk & Western Railway during Roanoke's Golden Jubilee 50th Anniversary.

SHH002.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Poland after it was invaded by the Nazis in World War II.

SHH001.jpg
Window display for Revlon's Ultraviolet line of cosmetics at Heironimus.

MP60.2.jpg
Peaks of Otter Lodge

MP60.1.jpg
Peaks of Otter Lodge in the latter part of construction.

MP 24.5 Mt. Pleasant School.jpg
Unidentified students in front of Mt. Pleasant School in Roanoke County.

MP 4.423 1st Street.jpg
Looking south on 1st Street from the 1st Street Bridge. The bridge connected Henry Street to Downtown Roanoke. The bridge was renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 2003.

MP 4.422 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on busy Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Kress & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.421 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street during paving. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Krees & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

McCain3 Lincoln Theatre.jpg
Group photo of Norfolk & Western Veterans Association Colored Division in front of the Lincoln Theatre. Originally built as the Strand Theatre (circa 1920). The Strand Theater took a new name “The Lincoln Theater”. The theater eventually became the…

McCain2 Lynhaven Smoke Shop.jpg
Gathering for a 1942 postcard at the Lynhaven Smoke Shop, formerly located at 125 N. Henry Street are from left: Mr. Roberts, Lorenzo Redd, Hobart Eggleston, Dr. George A. Moore, owner Bill Marshall and his son, James "Anse" Marshall.

McCain1 Medical Complex.jpg
This medical complex on Henry Street at Centre Avenue NW included (top left) Community Drug Store, where Dr. Beverly Adams (bottom left) was a pharmacist. Also in the building was the dental office of Dr. H.T. Penn (on right).

MP 58.0 Ole 97.jpg
The aftermath of the wreck of the "Ole 97". Due to excessive speed in an attempt to maintain schedule, the train derailed at the Stillhouse Trestle near Danville, Virginia where the train careened off the side of the bridge, killing eleven personnel…

MP 57.0 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department in front of the Municipal Building.

MP 35.0 Police Inspection.jpg
Roanoke Police inspection at Maher Field.

MP 4.41 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Church Avenue intersection. Construction of the Liberty Trust Building can be seen in background. Sign advertises J.H. Marsteller's (a car enthusiast and businessman) "Model Garage", formerly located at 16…

MP 4.42 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. Sheen's Cafe was located at 119 Campbell Avenue SW. The building in the right background with balconies was the original Ponce de Leon Hotel.

MP 4.43 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking west at saloons along Salem Avenue. The Silver Moon Quick Lunch, Raleigh Cafe and Brady's were located at approximately 20 Salem Avenue SW.

MP 4.44 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking west from the 100 block of Salem Avenue SE. A horse takes a drink from the Dog's Mouth Fountain, visible at right.

MP 4.45 Church Avenue.jpg
Boyd-Sweeney Company Hardware and National Business College, formerly located at 9-11 Church Avenue SW.

MP 38.02 Time Capsule.jpg
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary.

MP 38.01 Time Capsule.jpg
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary. Claude Settlemire, City Librarian, on left.

MP 38.14 Williamson Road Book Station.jpg
The Williamson Road Branch found its beginnings as the Williamson Road Book Station, formerly located at 2919 Williamson Road NE.

MP 38.13 Williamson Road Branch.jpg
A newly completed Williamson Road Branch Library.

MP 38.12 Williamson Road Branch.jpg
Architectural rendering of the Williamson Road Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

MP 38.11 Williamson Road Branch.jpg
Unidentified men set the cornerstone at the Williamson Road Branch Library.

MP 38.1 Williamson Road Branch.jpg
Staff members prepare the Williamson Road Branch for opening.

MP 38.0 Rivinus Room.jpg
Patrons use reference materials in the Rivinus Room at the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries

MP 24.4 Narrows School.jpg
Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hubert Brillhart, Kyle Shelor, Clovis Garman, ? Bennett, ? Bennett, Edna Brillhart, Hazel…

MP 24.3 Shiloh School.jpg
Students in front of Shiloh School in Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hortense Deeds, Eva Reed, Gladys Grisso, Edna Wright, Mary Garman, Paris Wright, Roy Hall, Claude Garman, Nelson Alls, John Garman, Kermit Garman, Roy Brillhart, Clyde Brillhart,…

MP 24.2b Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.2a Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.1 Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MPO 34.0 Huntingdon.jpg
Huntingdon, located at 320 Huntington Boulevard, was built circa 1820 by Elisha Betts. The home underwent extensive renovations in the late 1980s and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. It now operates as a bed and…

MPO 30.0 Roanoke Motor Car.jpg
Roanoke Motor Car Company, formerly located at 503 S. Jefferson Street. The company sold Chevrolets.

MP 34.0 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Interior view of Garland's Drugstore, formerly located 1327 Grandin Road.

MP 33.0 Barn Dinner Theatre.jpg
An interior view of the Barn Dinner Theatre. The theatre was created by Roanoker Howard Wolfe as a franchise in 1961. The chain grew to 27 theatres throughout the country. They were characterized by barn inspired architecture and included…

MP 32.7 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 32.6 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 32.5 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes seen from the interior of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The…

MP 32.4 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the wheel of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.3 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Tennessee-Kentucky border. The…

MP 32.2 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.1 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 31.7 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the theatre's main entrance with marble walls and brass doors.

MP 31.6 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation unitl 1971; it was razed in 1973. This is a view of the auditorium and balcony as seen from the stage.

MP 31.5 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of a staircase from the mezzanine to the upper balcony and loges.

MP 31.4 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of the mezzanine.

MP 31.3 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows paintings in the foyer as seen from the mezzanine.

MP 31.2 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the ornately appointed foyer. The placard at left advertises the…

MP 31.1 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the loge, just above the orchestra pit.

MP 31.0 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This interior view is of the stage from the balcony.

MP 30.0 The Barrens.jpg
The Barrens was built between 1865 and 1870 by Dr. Francis and Letitia Watts Sorrel. The home was sold to PC Huff in 1900. It stood on the present site of Valley View Mall.

MP 29.0 School Group.jpg
Unidentified group of children pose in Elmwood Park. Terry House in background.

MP 28.3 Bryan, Robert C.jpg
Presumed photo of Robert C. Bryan, a descendant of William Bryan, owner of the Bryan Home. Photo was included with Bryan Home photos.

MP 28.2 Bryan Home.jpg
Unidentified group of men pose on the steps of a school or church(?) presumably on the Bryan Homestead property. Photo was included with Bryan Home photos.

MP 28.1 Bryan Home.jpg
William Bryan's homestead at the Great Spring west of Salem was known as Bryan's On Roanoke, according to F.B. Kegley's Virginia Frontier. Photo depicts detail of stone chimney.

MP 27.3 Engine 609.jpg
Engine 609 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.2 Engine 604.jpg
Engine 604 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.1 Engine 601.jpg
Engine 601 of the Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 27.0 Engine 2151.jpg
Engine 2151 of Norfolk & Western Railway.

MP 26.0 Equipment Painters.jpg
Group photo of the Roanoke Chapter of the Union of Railroad Equipment Painters.

MP 25.0 Roanoke Fire Department.jpg
Unidentified Roanoke fireman pose on fire truck.

MP 24.0 Bedford School.jpg
Students from an unknown private school in Bedford. According to notes on photo, "This is a private school in Bedford at Mrs. Witt's house. Miss Amelia Buck, in center, is the teacher.

MP 23.0 Bike Ride.jpg
George Davis, far left, poses for a photo during a bike ride up the old Mill Mountain road.

MP 22.2 Marathon Filling Station.jpg
Marathon Filling Station, formerly located at 824 3rd Street.

MP 22.1 Waverly Filling Station.jpg
Waverly Filling Station, formerly located at the corner of 14th Street and Jamison Avenue.

MP 22.0 Riverside Filling Station.jpg
Riverside Filling Station, formerly located at 13th Street next to Woodrum Bridge, which would be replaced by Memorial Bridge.

MP 21.0 USS Roanoke.jpg
USS Roanoke

MP 20.0 LAWS Children.jpg
Lawrence Augustine Washington Society Children of the American Revolution at the Daughters of the American Revolution state conference. Members: Holding flag - Charles F. Massey, Junior Vice President, Walter P. Massey, Helen Price Hotoler, Retha…

MP 19.0 Cannaday House.jpg
Cannaday House, also known as Waverly Plantation was purchased by Woodrum Airport in 1934. The house was used as a weather station and terminal for the remainder of the 1928s. It was razed in 1955 to make room for growth of the airport.

MP 18.0 East Building.jpg
East Building on the campus of Hollins University.

MP 17.0 Brody, Steve.jpg
Portrait of Steve Brody

MP 16.0 Kenmore Plantation.jpg
Kenmore Plantation, the home of Fielding and Betty Washington Lewis. Betty was the sister of George Washington.

MP 15.1 State Capitol.jpg
Virginia State Capitol Building.

MP 15.0 State Capitol.jpg
Virginia State Capitol Building.

MP 14.0 Natural Bridge.jpg
Natural Bridge

MP 12.0 Roanoke EMS.jpg
Unidentified members of Williamson Road Life Saving and First Aid Crew suiting up.

MP 11.1 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 11.0 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 10.0 Holdrens Service Van.jpg
Unidentified service employee of Holdren's stands next to service van at 2272 Westover Avenue.

MP 9.21 Bride's House Sign.jpg
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 9.2 Bride's House Sign.jpg
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 9.1 Roanoker Cafeteria Sign.jpg
The Roanoker Cafeteria, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue.

MP 9.0 Roanoke Mills Sign.jpg
Marquee sign for Roanoke Mills.

MP 8.0 Andrews-Pitzer-Butler.jpg
Drivers of Andrews-Pitzer-Butler Fuel Oil Corporation pose next to their trucks in Highland Park.

MP 7.0 Crystal Clear Ice.jpg
Crystal Clear Ice Cubes vending machine.

MP 6.0 Heironimus Rendering.jpg
Artist rendering of Heironimus. Artist unknown. Location is 401 S, Jefferson Street.

MP 5.35 Roanoke Advertising Clinic.jpg
Display at an ad clinic for the Roanoke Advertising Club.

MP 5.32 Finks Advertisement.jpg
Marcia Fink woman holds a copy of an advertisement for Fink's Jewelers printed in Life Magazine at an advertising clinic

MP 5.31 Advertising Clinic.jpg
Advertising displays at an advertising clinic held at the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 5.3 Advertising Clinic.jpg
Unidentified women sit at registration desk of an Advertising Clinic held at the Hotel Roanoke to promote the Valley's businesses and industries.

MP 5.25 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
Inside the WSLS Channel 10 studio during merchandising promotion.

MP 5.24 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
Advertising displays in the windows of WSLS Channel 10, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.23 Election Returns.jpg
Staff of WSLS Channel 10 await results of the 1967 elections in the newsroom.

MP 5.22 Election Returns.jpg
Staff of WSLS Channel 10 await results of the 1967 elections in the newsroom.

MP 5.21 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.2 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.01 Lady Byrd Johnson.jpg
Lady Byrd Johnson greets the press and spectators at Roanoke Regional Airport during the Landscape-Landmark Tour. This tour led to the Highway Beautification Act of 1965. She stands with Director of the National Park Service, George Harzog.

MP 5.0 Lady Byrd Johnson.jpg
Lady Byrd Johnson greets the press and spectators at Roanoke Regional Airport during the Landscape-Landmark Tour. This tour led to the Highway Beautification Act of 1965

MP 4.9 Nobles Flowers.jpg
Nobel's Flowers, formerly located at 430 Church Avenue.

MP 4.8 Henri Kessler.jpg
An unidentified employee works with a fur coat at Henri Kessler Furriers, formerly located at 117 Campbell Avenue.

MP 4.71 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Dining room of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.7 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Superimposed image of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.6 Fishburn Library.jpg
Fishburn Library at Hollins University

MP 4.5 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
Rear view of Roanoke Memorial Hospital

MP 4.4 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking west on Salem Avenue toward the intersection with Jefferson Street.

MP 4.3 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Promotional shot of golfers at Roanoke Country Club. The club had its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899, It relocated to its current location in the early 1920s.

MP 4.2 Mabry Mill.jpg
Mabry Mill was built by Edwin Boston Mabry. E.B. Mabry returned to Floyd County in 1903 and began the construction of the mill. It was first a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, then became a sawmill. By 1905 it was in operation as a gristmill. By…

MP 4.1 Terry House.jpg
The Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park, was the first library in the city.

MP 4.0 Home on Franklin.jpg
Home formerly located on the southwest corner of Franklin Road and Broadway Avenue.

MP 3.9 Hotel Roanoke Garage.jpg
Garage under the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 3.81 Hut Restaurant.jpg
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

MP 3.8 Hut Restaurant.jpg
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

MP 3.7 Mill Mountain Star.jpg
Mill Mountain Star was constructed in 1949 by the Roanoke Merchants Association to kick off the 1949 holiday shopping season. Though at first the star was not meant to be lit all year, it became popular enough with citizens that it was decided to…

MP 3.6 Peters Creek Brethren.jpg
Peters Creek Church of the Brethren, located in the 5300 block of Cove Road.

MP 3.5 Towers Mall.jpg
Towers Mall under construction. Towers opened in 1961 at 2207 Colonial Avenue. At the time, it was reported in the Roanoke Times that Towers was the largest shopping center in the state. This photo depicts the upper level.

MP 3.42 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Two unidentified women pose next to Christmas decorations at the Roanoke Salem Plaza.

MP 3.41 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 3.4 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 3.3 A&U Mobile Homes.jpg
A&U Mobile Homes, formerly located at 1827 W. Main Street in Salem

MP 3.21 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Interior view of Hallmark Hall of Cards, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson St.

MP 3.2 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Hallmark Hall of Cards store, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson Street.

MP 3.13 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Interior view of Reid and Cutshall Furniture. This photo is believed to have been taken in the Brandon Avenue location.

MP 3.12 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Interior view of Reid and Cutshall Furniture. This photo is believed to have been taken in the Brandon Avenue location. Individuals unidentified.

MP 3.11 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture Wayside, formerly located at 3441 Brandon Avenue.

MP 3.1 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 3.0 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 2.9 Roanoke Industrial Loan.jpg
Roanoke Industrial Loan and Thrift, formerly located at 20 Franklin Road.

MP 2.8 Roanoke Valley Motors.jpg
Roanoke Valley Motors, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road.

MP 2.72 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.71 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.7 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.6 Franklin and Williamson.jpg
Looking south toward the intersection of Franklin Road and Williamson Road. The parking lots visible here became the Norfolk Southern building, Franklin Plaza, and a parking garage.

MP 2.5 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke. Civic Center and I581 can be seen to the right. First Baptist Church, destroyed by fire in 1995, and St. Andrews can be seen at left.

MP 2.4 Roanoke City Mills.jpg
An aerial view of the Roanoke City Mills, once located at 1750 Jefferson Street. The mill facility was razed in 2009.

MP 2.31 Victory Stadium.jpg
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 2.3 Victory Stadium.jpg
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 2.2 Mill Mountain Zoo.jpg
An aerial view of Mill Mountain Zoo. The zoo opened in 1952.

MP 2.1 Roanoke Aerial.jpg
An aerial view looking toward Mill Mountain. I581 can be seen under construction on the left .

MP 2.0 Roanoke Aerial.jpg
General view of Roanoke from 8000 ft.

MP 1.9 Streetcar.jpg
Unidentified streetcar employees pose next to a streetcar. Location unknown.

MP 1.8 Streetcar.jpg
Unidentified streetcar employees pose next to a streetcar in Richmond. Destination sign reads Oakwood and Broad Street.

MP 1.7 Fortune, George E.jpg
Portrait of George Fortune.

MP 1.6 Fortune, George E.jpg
George Fortune poses next to a car. Location unknown.

MP 1.5 Fortune, George E.jpg
George Fortune as a child. Born in Rocky Mount, 22 February 1879, to Charles McDonald Fortune and Cleopatra Board Gill.

MP 1.4 Wood, Molly W..jpg
Molly W. Wood milking a cow at her son Jessie's farm in Cave Spring.

MP 1.3 Fortune, Roberta B..jpg
Roberta Blanton Fortune as an infant. She was born 6 August 1913 to George E. Fortune and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

MP 1.2 Fortune, Frances C..jpg
Frances Elvira Fortune as an infant. She was born 31 December 1909 to George E. and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

MP 1.1 Fortune, William D..jpg
William D. Fortune as an infant. Fortune was born 24 September 1908 to George E. Fortune and Mara Ophelia Blanton.

VF6 Smith Mountain Lake.jpg
Model of Smith Mountain Lake.

VF 5 Smith Mountain Lake.jpg
Aerial view of Smith Mountain Lake Dam.

VF 3 Smith Mountain Lake Picnic Area.jpg
Picnic area at Smith Mountain Lake.

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2