Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Davis 23.5 Fifth Avenue Presbyterian

FILES

Davis 23.5 Fifth Avenue Presbyterian.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Davis 23.5 Fifth Avenue Presbyterian

Description

The old Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, formerly located at the corner of Patton Avenue (once 5th Avenue) and 3rd Street NW. The stained glass window is the Jackson Window, installed in 1905 by Rev. L.L. Downing, the pastor of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. He had this window installed because Thomas J. Jackson taught the Reverend Downing’s parents to read and write and instructed them in the ways of the Presbyterian Church. Though this structure burned in the 1950s, the window was unharmed and was installed in the new Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church located at 301 Patton Avenue NW.

Creator

George C. Davis Photography

Publisher

Roanoke Public Libraries

Date

Circa 1940

Rights

Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.

Format

negative

Type

Still Image

Identifier

Davis23.5

Citation

George C. Davis Photography, “Davis 23.5 Fifth Avenue Presbyterian ,” Virginia Room Digital Collection, accessed October 20, 2020, http://www.virginiaroom.org/digital/document/Davis23.5.