Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

George C. Davis Photographic Records

Dublin Core

Title

George C. Davis Photographic Records

Description

The Davis Photographic Records contain approximately 12,200 black and white images, negatives, glass plate negatives and glass lantern slides. Black and white prints vary in size between 5"x7", 8"x10" and various oversized prints; 8"x10" glass plate negatives; 5"x7" and 8"x10" negatives; 3"x5" glass lantern slides. All Davis images can be dated circa 1904-1968. There are images with Davis' signature that predate 1904, but they are believed to have been taken by Chandler Studio, the photography firm bought out by Davis in 1904. Although the majority of Davis' images are marked with his signature in the lower right corner, it is important to note that not all of the images are marked. Davis rarely recorded identifying information on the images. For this reason, many of his images are unidentifiable. The majority of images from the Davis Collection seen on this database are street scenes, businesses and points of interest in Roanoke and its vicinity where it was possible to at least minimally identify them. While the Virginia Room has a large number of portraits from Davis' collection, they are not represented here. An index of all identified portraits is available in the Virginia Room.

Creator

George C. Davis Photography

Publisher

Roanoke Public Libraries

Rights

Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.

Collection Items

Davis 1.01 Big Lick 1881-82
Looking NW from Elmwood Park. Earliest known picture of Roanoke City locale.

Davis 1.1 Franklin Road Bridge
Franklin Rd. bridge over Roanoke River. H.H. Carter Lumber Co. burned down between 1955 and 1970.

Davis 1.12 View from MacBain building
Aerial view taken from site of MacBain building. Post office tower in foreground.

Davis 1.21 Elks Carnival High Wire Act
Elks Carnival High Wire Act about 1895. Site of present Times-World building looking west towards 3rd St., St. Mark's Lutheran Church, and Rorer Hall in background. Rear of Salem Ave. building.

Davis2 1.255 First and Franklin
First Street intersection with Franklin Road in front of AEP.

Davis 1.311 Knepp & Co.
Knepp & Co. Livery Stable NW corner of Jefferson St. and Church Ave.

Davis 1.312 Roanoke heaviest snowfall
Roanoke's heaviest snowfall. Shown is Knepp & Company, formerly located at Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. Men shovel snow off of roof. View looking south.

Davis 1.323 Carlton Terrace  Building
Carlton Terrace Apartments, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.41 Crystal Spring engraving
"Crystal Spring as it looked in the early days of Roanoke." Engraving of photo

Davis 1.413 McClanahan's Mill Crystal Spring
Built in the 1750s, this flume and waterwheel were all that remained when this photo was taken sometime before 1890. The flume and waterwheel were demolished in 1890. This mill lended its name to Mill Mountain.

Davis 1.414 Crystal Spring gazebo & house
Crystal Spring showing gazebo and house on hill above. Davis print from earlier glass negative.

Davis 1.8 Memorial Bridge Playground
Children in sandbox at playgound under Memorial Bridge.

Davis 1.822 N&W freight station
Norfolk & Western freight station. Looking SW toward downtown. View of buildings on Norfolk Ave. St. James Hotel in background.

Davis 1.91 Elmwood Park from corner
Elmwood Park from corner of Jefferson St. and Bullitt Ave.

Davis 1.92 Elmwood Park looking toward SW corner
Elmwood Park looking toward SW corner of Jefferson St. and Elm Ave.

Davis 1.921 Elmwood Park
View of Elmwood Park looking from Southwest corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. Terry home and tennis courts visible.

Davis 1.93 Elmwood Park looking from SW corner
Elmwood Park looking from SW, at Jefferson St. and Elm Ave., corner toward Terry home in park. Tennis courts at left. About 1950.

Davis 1.94 Elmwood Park looking SE
Elmwood Park looking at SE corner of Bullitt Ave. and Jefferson St. About 1950. Gazebo in view.

Davis 1.95 Japanese Magnolia
Japanese magnolia brought from Japan by Admiral Perry. Elmwood Park Spring 1931.

Davis 1.951 Japanese Magnolia at night
Japanese magnolia. Elmwood Park Spring of 1931. Night view.

Davis 1.97 Springtime in Elmwood
Spring in Elmwood Park. View of St. John's Episcopal Church

Davis 100 General Outdoor Advertising
General Outdoor Advertising Company was located in the old St. John's Episcopal Church on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. The church is hardly visible due to the billboard display surrounding it.

Davis 101.1 Liberty Bell
Soldiers guarding the Liberty Bell in Roanoke. Hotel Roanoke is visible in the background. The Liberty Bell stopped in Roanoke during its tour through the United States in 1895.

Davis 101.12 Liberty Bell Reception
Soldiers guarding the Liberty Bell in Roanoke. Hotel Roanoke is visible in the background. The Liberty Bell stopped in Roanoke during its tour through the United States in 1895.

Davis 101.22 Glidden Tour
Glidden Tour cars parked in Marstellar's garage on Church Avenue.

Davis 102.1 Heironimus and Brugh Float
Float decorated by Heironimus and Brugh Department Store for the Roanoke Decennial Parade.

Davis 11.01 Class of Alleghany Institute
Class of the Alleghany Institute. Burrell Memorial Hospital took it over and built the hospital.

Davis 11.1 Belmont Elementary
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

Davis 11.12 Belmont Elementary
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

Davis 11.15 Melrose Class
Students of Melrose School.

Davis 11.2 West End Elementary
West End Elementary school.

Davis 11.21 West End School
West End Elementary School, formerly located at 918 Campbell Avenue. In this photo, the school is nearing completion.

Davis 11.211 West End School
Rear of West End School, formerly located at 912 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.23 Gilmer School
Gilmer School once stood on Gilmer Avenue in the general area of the Roanoke Civic Center.

Davis 11.32 Monterey Elementary School
Monterey Elementary School

Davis 11.33 Fairview Elementary School
Fairview Elementary School

Davis 11.331 Fairview Elementary
Fairview Elementary School

Davis 11.34 Westside Elementary School
Westside Elementary School

Davis 11.341 Westside Elementary
Westside Elementary School

Davis 11.35 Hurt Park Elementary School
Hurt Park Elementary School, located at 1525 Salem Avenue.

Davis 11.351 Hurt Park Elementary
Hurt Park Elementary, located at 1525 Salem Avenue.

Davis 11.36 Raleigh Court Elementary School
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.361 Raleigh Court Elementary School
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.362 Raleigh Court Elementary
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.363 Raleigh Court Elementary
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.4 Lee Junior High
Lee Junior High School, formerly located at Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis 11.5 Stonewall Jackson Middle School
Stonewall Jackson Middle School, located at 1004 Montrose Avenue. The school name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

Davis 11.51 Stonewall Jackson Middle
Stonewall Jackson Middle School, located at 1004 Montrose Avenue. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

Davis 11.6 Lucy Addison High School
Lucy Addison High School shortly after construction

Davis 11.61 Lucy Addison High School
Lucy Addison High School after completion of the addition.

Davis 11.62 Lucy Addison High
Lucy Addison High School, shortly after completion of the addition.

Davis 11.65 Jefferson High School
Jefferson High School from Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.6521 Jefferson High School Students
Jefferson High School junior class.

Davis 11.66 Patrick Henry High School
Patrick Henry High School under construction.

Davis 11.66-2 Patrick Henry High School
Patrick Henry High School under construction.

Davis 11.67 Roanoke Catholic School
Roanoke Catholic School.

Davis 11.671 Roanoke Catholic School
Roanoke Catholic School.

Davis 11.711 Preston Park Elementary
Preston Park Elementary

Davis 11.95 Roanoke Technical Institute
Roanoke Technical Institute, now called Virginia Western Community College.

Davis 11.951 Roanoke College
Aerial view of Roanoke College.

Davis 12.1 Roanoke Post Office
First post office. N.E. corner of Church Ave., S.W. and 1st Street.

Davis 12.2 Post Office
Roanoke's first Post Office as seen from the East side of Henry Streeet (now 1st Street) looking toward Campbell Avenue.

Davis 13.11 Courthouse and Jail
Courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue and 2nd Street.

Davis 14.1 Burrell Memorial Hospital
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

Davis 14.11 Burrell Hospital Staff
Doctor and nursing staff standing in front of first Burrell Memorial Hospital. This building is the former Alleghany Boys Institute. Burrell was the only African American hospital in Roanoke during segregation. Individuals unidentified.

Davis 14.2 Shenandoah Hospital
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.21  Shenandoah Hospital
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.32 Jefferson Hospital
Jefferson Hospital, which was founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was a predecessor Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

Davis 14.33 Jefferson Hospital Nursing Class
The nursing class of 1947 on the steps of Jefferson Hospital. May 22, 1947.

Davis 14.35 Jefferson Hospital
Jefferson Hospital is structure on the left. It was located on Franklin Road; view looking at intersection with Walnut Avenue.

Davis 14.41 Lewis-Gale Hospital
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of Second Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. This…

Davis 14.42 Lewis-Gale Hospital
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of 2nd Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. The photo…

Davis 14.481 Lewis-Gale Hospital Nursing Class
Nursing graduate class of 1941. Lewis Gale Hospital.

Davis 14.6 Gill Memorial
Gill Memorial Hospital was built in 1926. It was the first hospital in Virginia exclusively providing treatment for eye, ear, nose and throat conditions. It remained in independent operation until 1976, when it was acquired by Roanoke Memorial.

Davis 14.7 Community Hospital
Aerial view of Community Hospital. Orchard Hill is in the background.

Davis 14.81 Nurses' Building
Nurses' building at Catawba Sanatorium. The sanatorium was established in 1908 to quarantine and treat individuals with tuberculosis. Today, Catawba Hospital provides psychiatric and geriatric care.

Davis 14.82 Catawba Sanatorium
Nurses relax in the living room of the nurses' building at Catawba Sanatorium. The sanatorium was established in 1908 to quarantine and treat individuals with tuberculosis. Today, Catawba Hospital provides psychiatric and geriatric care.

Davis 14.83 Nurse's Room
Interior view of a typical room in the nurses' building at Catawba Sanatorium. The sanatorium was established in 1908 to quarantine and treat individuals with tuberculosis. Today, Catawba Hospital provides psychiatric and geriatric care.

Davis 15.01 Pearl Hinesley
Roanoke Public Library's first Librarian, Pearl Hinesley. Miss Hinesley served 30 years in Roanoke Public Libraries, from 1921-1951.

Davis 15.02 Library Opening Day
A band plays at the Roanoke Public Library's opening day celebration in Elmwood Park.

Davis 15.11 Roanoke Public Library
View of the first Roanoke Public Library from across Elmwood Park. The building, known as the Terry House, was purchased with Elmwood park by the city in 1911 for $150,000.

Davis 15.112 Library Float
Roanoke Public Library float in a parade.

Davis 15.12 Library Entrance
Jefferson Street entrance to the first Roanoke Public Library

Davis 15.121 Terry House
A view of the Terry House from the driveway on Jefferson Street. The Terry House would become Roanoke's first public library in 1921.

Davis 15.13 Library & Elmwood Park
Terry home in Elmwood Park shortly after its converstion to the first library. Circa 1925.

Davis 15.14 Old Library Building
Roanoke Public Library as seen from across Jefferson Street.

Davis 15.15 Roanoke City Library
The Main branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Davis 15.21 RPL Storytime
Roanoke Public Library auditorium of the first public library in Terry home during children's book week story hour.

Davis 15.211 Storytime at Roanoke Public Libraries
Roanoke Public Library's children's room. November 19, 1917.

Davis 15.212 Patrons in Reference
Ladies in the reference room.

Davis 15.22 Main Library Interior
Interior view of the first library. The desk in this photo is currently used in the Virginia Room.

Davis 15.221 Main Library Interior
Roanoke Public Library. Circulation desk and main room.

Davis 15.222 Reading & Reference Room
Interior view of Main Library reading and reference rooms when it was located in the Terry House.

Davis 15.23 Patrons in Reference
The reference room in the old library about 1947.

Davis 15.61 Gainsboro Library Interior
Roanoke Public Library's Gainsboro Branch found its beginnings in the Odd Fellows Hall, formerly located at the corner of Patton Avenue and Gainsboro Road. It would relocate to the current building in 1942.

Davis 15.611 Gainsboro Branch Library
Interior of the Gainsboro Branch Roanoke Public Library.

Davis 15.612 Library Shelving
Basement storage shelving at the Gainsboro Branch.

Davis 15.612-2 Library Shelving
Basement storage shelving at the Gainsboro Branch.

Davis 15.615 Gainsboro Branch Library
Early view of the Gainsboro Branch Library. The building was completed in 1941 at a cost of $23,970.24.

Davis 15.62 Melrose Branch Library
The Melrose Book Station, located at Melrose Avenue and 15th Street. In 1929, the "Book Station" was moved to the basement of Melrose School at 1100 Melrose Avenue. In 1933 it was moved to a vacant store at 1801 Melrose Avenue. In 1948, the branch…

Davis 15.621 Melrose Branch Library
Interior view of Melrose Branch Library after it was relocated from 15th Street and Melrose to the basement of Melrose School at 1100 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 15.625-1 Melrose Branch Library
Roanoke Librarian Pearl Hinesley stands in front of the newly constructed Melrose Branch.

Davis 15.625-2 Melrose Branch Library
The newly constructed Melrose Branch Library at 2318 Melrose Avenue. The sign reads, "New Library constructed for your convenience and assistance by the City of Roanoke".

Davis 15.625-3 Melrose Branch Library
The Melrose Branch Library was constructed in 1947 at a cost of $19,947.00

Davis 15.63 Raleigh Court Library
The Raleigh Court Library was located at 1916 Memorial Avenue. The building is now used by Pop's Ice Cream.

Davis 15.631 Virginia Heights Book Station
Interior view of the Virginia Heights Book Station. The Virginia Heights Book Station was a precursor to the Raleigh Court Branch Library. It was located in the Masonic Lodge building at Grandin Road and Memorial Avenue.

Davis 15.71 Fishburn Library
The Fishburn Library at Hollins College.

Davis 15.711 Fishburn Library
Interior view of the reading room in the Fishburn Library at Hollins College.

Davis 15.72 Fintel Library
Fintel Library at Roanoke College.

Davis 15.721 Fintel Library
Fintel Library at Roanoke College.

Davis 16.1 Ponce de Leon
The Ponce de Leon Hotel at 131 Campbell Avenue. This building was constructed in 1931 on the foundation of the previous Ponce de Leon which burned in 1931.

Davis 16.201 Hotel Roanoke Fire
In July 1898, a fire started in the kitchen of the hotel. This photo makes the fire appear worse than it actually was, as the hotel was only closed for several months. Notice the furniture on the lawn; hotel guests and employees removed what they…

Davis 16.2011 Hotel Roanoke, 1886
The Hotel Roanoke in 1886.

Davis 16.202 Hotel Roanoke
Hotel Roanoke was built in 1882 by Norfolk and Western Railway.

Davis 16.2021 Hotel Roanoke
An early view of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2022 Hotel Roanoke
Bird's eye view of Hotel Roanoke. Spires of St. Andrew's Cathedral can be seen in upper left corner.

Davis 16.209 Hotel Roanoke Aerial
An aerial view of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2091 Hotel Roanoke
An aerial view of the Hotel Roanoke. Roanoke Auditorium visible in upper right corner.

Davis 16.21 Hotel Roanoke
The Hotel Roanoke has gone through mulitple renovations, due to fire and to increase its size. This undated photo depicts the hotel in one of its many "phases". Despite the renovations, the hotel has maintained its distinctive style.

Davis 16.2101 Hotel Roanoke
The Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.2102 Hotel Roanoke Construction
Hotel Roanoke shown during contruction of addition.

Davis 16.22 Hotel Roanoke Construction
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Co.

Davis 16.23 Hotel Roanoke Construction
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Company.

Davis 16.24 Hotel Roanoke Construction
The Hotel Roanoke during the construction of an addition by the Virginia Bridge Company.

Davis 16.26 Hotel Roanoke
Night scene of the Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.263 Hotel Roanoke
Entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.266 Hotel Roanoke
Exterior of garage at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.267 Hotel Roanoke
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.268 Hotel Roanoke
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.269 Hotel Roanoke
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2690 Hotel Roanoke
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.271 Palm Court
Palm Court in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.272 Cigar Counter
Cigar Counter in Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.273 English Lounge
English Lounge in Hotel Roanoke. This space is now called the Pine Room.

Davis 16.274 Private Parlor
A view of one of the private parlors in Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.275 Ballroom
The ballroom at Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.276 Guest Room
A typical guest room in Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.277 Regency Room
The Regency Room, Hotel Roanoke's main dining room.

Davis 16.278 Private Dining Room
A private dining room in Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.279 Hotel Lobby
The lobby of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.2791 Writing Room
The Writing Room in Hotel Roanoke. This space is now an extension of the Pine Room Pub.

Davis 16.28 Hotel Roanoke
Hotel Roanoke looking North.

Davis 16.31 Rorer Park Hotel
Rorer Park Hotel. The hotel was purchased by the citizens of Roanoke and presented to the Alleghany Institute, a school for boys. The Institute used this structure for three years.

Davis 16.411 Patrick Henry
Patrick Henry Hotel

Davis 16.414 Patrick Henry Hotel
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park and houses.

Davis 16.41a Patrick Henry
The Patrick Henry as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.421 Patrick Henry Hotel
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.43 PH Ballroom
Patrick Henry Hotel ballroom prepared for a banquet.

Davis 16.431 Patrick Henry Hotel Display
Display in the coffee shop window for the VMI/VPI game.

Davis 16.4371 Pastry Display
Pastry chef and Kazim Shriner pose next to a pastry display for the Shriners at the Patrick Henry.

Davis 16.4375 Dining Room
Waitstaff posese next to table prepared for a banquet in the Patrick Henry.

Davis 16.5 Raleigh Tavern
Raleigh Tavern, Roanoke's first hotel, was located on Lynchburg (Orange) Avenue NE. Built in the early 1800s and long known as Pate's Tavern, it was a popular stopping-place on the north-south stages or on the road from Lynchburg west to Seven Mile…

Davis 16.71 Monticello Motel
Monticello Motel was located at 5046 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.72 Big Oak Motel
Big Oak Motel was located at 2501 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.731 Hitching Post Motel
The sign for the Hitching Post Motel, which was located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.7411 Holiday Inn
The sign for the Holiday Inn of America in Roanoke, formerly located at 7120 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.76 Roanoke Shangri La Motel
View of the Shangri La Motel and Sign, once located at 5125 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.77 Roanoker Motor Lodge
The exterior of the Roanoker Motor Lodge located at 7645 Williamson Road.

Davis 17.11 Alumni Gymnasium
A rendering by Frye and Stone Architects of the Alumni Gymnasium at Roanoke College.

Davis 17.121a RC Class of 1950
Members of the Roanoke College Class of 1951 pose for a portrait with faculty members in front of the Administration Building.

Davis 17.121b H. Sherman Oberly
Sixth President of Roanoke College, Dr. H. Sherman Oberly, is pictured on the right next to an unidentitifed faculty member.

Davis 17.12a Roanoke College Faculty
The Faculty of Roanoke College pose for a group portrait in front of the Administration Building.

Davis 18.2  Civic Center Model
An archetectural model of the Roanoke Civic Center.

Davis 18.51a Water Treatment Facility
Unidentified water treatment facility.

Davis 18.51c CC Water Treatment Facility Interior
Interior view of Carvins Cove Water Treatment Facility

Davis 18.52 Roanoke Wastewater Treatment Plant
Roanoke Wasterwater Treatment Plant off of Brownlee Avenue in Southeast.

Davis 19.14 YWCA
The YWCA located at the corner of Franklin Road and First Street.

Davis 19.811 Terrace Apartments
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, once called Wood Apartments, located on Ghent Hill.

Davis 19.812 Terrace Apartments
A view from the street of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, formerly Wood Apartments, located in Raleigh Court.

Davis 19.813 Terrace Apartments
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, formerly Wood Apartments, located in Raleigh Court.

Davis 19.814 Terrace Apartments
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, formerly Wood Apartments, located in Raleigh Court.

Davis 19a RRYMCA
Railroad YMCA, formerly located at 12th Street and Shenandoah Avenue. Razed in 1947.

Davis 19b RRYMCA
A rear view of the Railroad YMCA, formerly located at 12th Street and Shenandoah Avenue. Razed in 1947.

Davis 2.1 NW Corner of Jefferson & Franklin
Jefferson St. and Franklin Rd. (NW corner) ca. 1922. Park Theater visible. Marquee reads, "Gloria Swanson and Rodolph Valentio in Beyond the Rocks. Building to right was vacant at the time.

Davis 2.111 North on Jefferson
500 Block of Jefferson Street, looking North. Night scene depicts old street lights.

Davis 2.1112 South on Jefferson
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Campbell Avenue intersection.

Davis 2.1113South on Jefferson
Looking South on Jefferson Street at Luck Avenue intersection.

Davis 2.1114 South on Jefferson
Looking South on Jefferson Street. Signs for Jefferson Cafe, Jefferson Hotel and Hotel Colonial line the left side of the street. Signs for Rex Taylor's and the Patrick Henry Hotel are visible on the right side of the street.

Davis 2.1115 South on Jefferson
Looking South on Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.111a Advance Auto
Original Advance Auto Parts, 503 S. Jefferson St.

Davis 2.112 N&W Office
Norfolk & Western Office on the 500 block of S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.12 Kazim Temple Band
Kazim Temple Band in Christmas parade. Looking NE on Jefferson Street from corner of Day Avenue.

Davis 2.1311 Joy Shop
Joy Shop located at Jefferson and Campbell

Davis 2.1312a Joy Shop
Joy Shop located at Jefferson and Campbell

Davis 2.1321 East on Campbell
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from First Street.

Davis 2.1322 East on Campbell
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1323 East on Campbell
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1333 West on Campbell
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1334 West on Campbell
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1335 West Campbell
Looking West on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson intersection

Davis 2.1336 West on Campbell Ave.
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1337 West on Campbell
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.134 Leggett's
Leggett's, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.135 Butler's Shoes
Butler's Shoes 000 Block Campbell Ave. SW

Davis 2.1381 S.H. Davis Pictures
S.H. Davis Pictures, formerly located at 136 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 2.14 Cornerstone Laying Masonic Temple
Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple. Campbell and Jefferson. Homes in the background. About 1888.

Davis 2.16 Salem Avenue
Salem Avenue at 2nd Street

Davis 2.161 2nd Street Store Fronts
2nd St. about 1916. Davis is leaning against the lamp post.

Davis 2.162 Salem Avenue
Looking east on Salem Avenue from Henry Street (now 1st). This row of storefronts included a bowling alley; liquor store,;L.A. Tolbert Cleaning, Pressing and Repairing; Brady's Bar and Restaurant; a barbershop and a pool hall.

Davis 2.21 Jefferson and Campbell Intersection
Intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Sign for Rialto Theater visible on right. The Rialto was known for showing westerns.

Davis 2.22 J. Kefauver & Sons Repository
The Kafauver Repository was a large warehouse built on the site of the present Municipal Building between 1874 and 1878 and faced Commerce St. It was known as Kefauver's Folly in that Kefauver & Son originated the Central Manufacturing Company and…

Davis 2.23 J.M. Gambill
Proffit Cobbler Shop and J.M. Gambill Wholesale Grocers on Salem Avenue. Edward Franklin Proffit on left.

Davis 2.24 Elks Lodge 197
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road where Anthem is now located.

Davis 2.25 Roanoke Fair
Looking north of Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue at crowd gathered for Roanoke Fair.

Davis 2.31 Roanoke Supply Company
Unidentified group of Shriners standing on sidewalk in front of Roanoke Supply Company store, located at 101 W. Salem Avenue.

Davis 21.1 Belmont Baptist
Belmont Baptist Church on Stewart Ave. SE and 9th Street.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church Doors
Doors of First Baptist Church at 515 3rd Street.

Davis 21.511 Oakland Baptist Church
Oakland Baptist Church at 3623 Roundhill Avenue

Davis 21.512 Oakland Baptist
A newly constructed Oakland Baptist Church on right with an inset of the original Oakland Baptist at left.

Davis 21.522 Vinton Baptist Group
Group portrait of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners.

Davis 21.523a Vinton Baptist Group
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.523d Vinton Baptist Group
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.523e Vinton Baptist Group
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.524 Vinton Baptist Group
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.543 Virginia Heights Baptist Church
Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.551 Villa Heights Baptist Church
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1020 Lafayette Blvd. NW.

Davis 21.552 Villa Heights Bible School
Group photo of Bible School attendees at Villa Heights Baptist Church.

Davis 22.33 Melrose United Methodist
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue

Davis 22.52 Belmont United Methodist Church
Belmont United Methodist Church, formerly located at 806 Jamison Avenue, is now Metropolitan Community Church.

Davis 22.624a Trinity Methodist Group
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624b Trinity UMC Group
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624c Trinity UMC Group
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.63 Trinity Methodist Church
Trinity Methodist Church located at 305 Mountain Avenue.

Davis 22.81 Northview Methodist Church
Northview Methodist Church located at 521 Ridgecrest Drive in Hollins.

Davis 22.82 Grace Methodist Church
Grace Methodist Church located at 4404 Williamson Road.

Davis 22.911 Mount Pleasant Methodist
Mount Pleasant Methodist Church located at 3035 Mount Pleasant Blvd.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 23.2 Raleigh Court Presbyterian
Raleigh Court Presbyterian located at 1837 Grandin Road.

Davis 23.21 Raleigh Court Presbyterian
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.211 Raleigh Court Presbyterian
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.214a Raleigh Court Presbyterian
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.2151 Raleigh Court Presbyterian
Stained glass window in the sanctuary of Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church.

Davis 23.2152 Raleigh Court Presbyterian
The sanctuary of Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church.

Davis 24.01 St Johns Episcopal
Remaining walls of St. John's Episcopal Church. St. John's was the first Episcopal in the Old Lick area of Roanoke County. The cabin in the background once belonged to Bernie Rideout Holland, a former slave of General Edward Watts. Built in 1850,…

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.181 St Johns Parish
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 24.214 Christ Episcopal
The sanctuary of Christ Episcopal Church located at 1101 Franklin Road

Davis 25.1 St Andrews
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.11 St Andrews
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.12 Ryan Hall
Ryan Hall, the first school building for Roanoke Catholic. The building was razed in 1999.

Davis 25.13 St Andrews
St. Andrew's Catholic Church was built in 1902

Davis 25.14 St Andrews
St. Andrew's Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.15 St. Andrews Construction
Men at work during the construction of St. Andrew's Catholic Church

Davis 25.2 St Andrews Interior
The sanctuary of St. Andrew's Catholic Church.

Davis 25.21 St Andrews Service
St. Andrew's Catholic Church sanctuary during Mass.

Davis 25.22 St Andrews Service
St. Andrew's Catholic Church sanctuary during Mass.

Davis 25.311 Our Lady of Nazareth
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.312 Our Lady of Nazareth
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 26 Beth Israel
The sancutary of Beth Israel Synagogue.

Davis 26.1 Beth Israel
The bimah in Beth Israel Synagogue.

Davis 27.1 First Church of Christ Scientist
The First Church of Christ. Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 27.2 First Christian Church
First Christian Church, locate at 344 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.31 Roanoke Church of Christ
Roanoke Church of Christ, located at 2606 Brandon Avenue.

Davis 27.5 Central Church of the Brethren
Interior view of Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.51 Central Church of the Brethren
The Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.591 Ghent Brethren Church
Ghent Grace Brethren Church, located at 1511 Wasena Avenue.

Davis 27.62 Melrose Avenue SDA Church
Melrose Avuenue Seventh Day Adventist Church, located at 1601 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 27a Trinity Holiness Church
Parishioners of the former Trinity Holiness Church.

Davis 27b Trinity Holiness Church
Parishioners of the former Trinity Holiness Church.

Davis 27c Holy Trinity Parishioners
Parishioners of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.

Davis 28.1 St Marks Lutheran
Old St. Marks Lutheran Church built by Methodists on corner of Campbell Ave. and 3rd St.

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is not located on the site.

Davis 29.9 Church of God
Church of God parishioners

Davis 29a Calvary Baptist Church
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29b Calvary Baptist Church
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 3.1 City Market
A view of the City Market area looking south on Market Street.

Davis 3.11 Old City Market
Old City Market. Old assembly hall in background. Circa 1890.

Davis 3.12 Playing at the City Market
Old city market. Looking toward Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 31 J.N. Maxey Home
J.N. Maxey Home

Davis 31.31 Rockledge Inn
Rockledge Inn opened in the Spring of 1892 as a resort hotel. It featured sweeping verandas and views of the city, tennis and croquet courts, large stone fireplaces and a private coach that ran from the depot to the inn. Rockledge Inn would…

Davis 31.311 Rockledge Inn
Rockledge Inn opened in the Spring of 1892 as a resort hotel. It featured sweeping verandas and views of the city, tennis and croquet courts, large stone fireplaces and a private coach that ran from the depot to the inn. Rockledge Inn would…

Davis 31.312 Rockledge Inn
Rockledge Inn opened in the Spring of 1892 as a resort hotel. It featured sweeping verandas and views of the city, tennis and croquet courts, large stone fireplaces and a private coach that ran from the depot to the inn. Rockledge Inn would…

Davis 31.41 Howbert Cabin
At the corner of Floyd Avenue and Main Street in Wasena stood this house, part of the Howbert Farm. It was rented for many years by the Custer Family, who posed on the porch for this photograph.

Davis 31.43 Magnolia
Magnolia was located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road,. Built in 1837 by Zachariah Robinson as a tavern, Magnolia was a popular stop for stagecoach traffic until 1850 when rail became the primary means of long distance travel. Dr.…

Davis 31.44 Howbert House
The Howbert house and farm was built by George Howbert circa 1900. Howbert sold the house and farm to the Wasena Land Company in 1910 for development as a suburb of Roanoke. The house still stands at 918 Howbert Avenue.

Davis 31.45 McClanahan House
This house was built circa 1855 by Elijah McClanahan. Elijah was the son of William McClanahan who owned over 3,000 acres of land, including Crystal Spring and Mill Mountain. First Presbyterian Church was built on the site in 1929.

Davis 31.46 Draper-Ingles Cabin
Located at Ingles Ferry in Radford, the Mary Draper Ingles cabin, also known as the Ingles Family Farmstead, was the home of Mary Draper and her husband, Thomas Ingles. Mary Draper Ingles was abducted by Shawnee Indians in 1755 and taken to Big Bone…

Davis 31.48 Mountain View Gardens
Gardens on the Mountain View property, home of J.B. Fishburn.

Davis 31.51 Terry House
The Terry House in Elmwood Park. The home was used as Roanoke's first public library until it the current structure was built in 1952. The home was used as recreational offices until it was razed in 1964.

Davis 34.1-1 Easter Sunrise Service at Highland Park
Easter Sunrise Service held in Highland Park under the auspices of the Altrusa Club of Roanoke.

Davis 34.1-2 Easter Sunrise Service
Easter Sunrise Service held in Highland Park under the auspices of the Altrusa Club of Roanoke.

Davis 34.1-3 Easter Sunrise Service
Easter Sunrise Service held in Highland Park under the auspices of the Altrusa Club of Roanoke.

Davis 35.1 OSW Apartments
This apartment building located at 701 3rd Street was one of the first totally electric apartment buildings in the city.

Davis 35.11 OSW Apartments
This apartment building located at 701 3rd Street was one of the first totally electric apartment buildings in the city.

Davis 4.11-3 Mayor's Monument
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11-4 Mayor's Monument
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11-2 Mayor's Monument
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11 Mayor's Monument
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.12 Patterson Avenue
View of Patterson Avenue and McClaugherty Brothers Grocery, formerly located at 1125 Patterson.

Davis 4.21 American Viscose Car Parade
American Viscose car in World War I drive parade.

Davis 4.31 Mill Mountain Loop
Old road up to Mill Mountain. Photo caption reads, "at this location the loop the loop where Mr. Henritze's house (Rockledge) is located now".

Davis 4.42 Franklin Road
Looking North on Franklin Road, South of McClanahan Street.

Davis 4.71 Glen Cove
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 4.711 Glen Cove
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 4.712 Glen Cove
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 40.1 Big Lick Business Directory
Big Lick Business Directory Poster, 1877.

Davis 41.11 Mabry Mill
Mabry Mill was built by Edwin Boston Mabry (E.B. Mabry). E.B. Mabry returned to Floyd County in 1903 and began the construction of the mill. It was first a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, then became a sawmill. By 1905 it was in operation as a…

Davis 41.21 Poage's Mill
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.211 Poage's Mill
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.23 Cloverdale Mill
The Cloverdale Mill was one of about 30 mills operating in Botetourt County in the early 20th Century. Old ads suggest that the mill was in operation as early as 1814. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1968.

Davis 41.24 Breckinridge Mill
Built for James Breckenridge in 1822, Breckenridge Mill is located at 867 Breckinridge Mill Road, 3 miles from Fincastle. The mill was added to the Virginia and National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It now houses apartments.

Davis 41.25 Thrasher's Mill
Thrasher's Mill, also known as Waskey's and Obenshain's Mill was built circa 1848, shortly after the establishment of the town of Jackson (now Springwood) in Botetourt County, The third story was removed in the 1920s. It is now used as a private…

Davis 41.3 McClanahans Mill Flume
Built in the 1750s, this flume and waterwheel were all that remained when this photo was taken sometime before 1890. The flume and waterwheel were demolished in 1890. This mill lended its name to Mill Mountain.

Davis 41.41 Tinker Mill
Tinker Mill, also known as Nininger's Mill, was built circa 1847. Located on Route 674, Tinker Mill was converted into a restaurant in 1980. The structure is now a private residence.

Davis 41.91 Stout's Mill
Stout's Mill in Gilmer County, West Virginia. Caption reads, "Down at Stout's Mill among the WV hills. Visit from the drop stitch exhibition - The Famous Rats"

Davis 42.1 Davis Photo Company
Davis Photo Company at 104 W. Salem Avenue. George Davis stands behind car on right with arm on window frame. Other men unidentified.

Davis 42.21 Stone Printing Company
The first location of Stone Printing Company on 2nd Street. The company remained in this building until it moved into 116 N. Jefferson Street in 1908. Men unidentified.

Davis 42.51 Grandin Theatre
Crowd gathered outside of the Grandin Theatre to see "Centennial Summer" starring Jeanne Crain and Cornel Wilde.

Davis 42.52 American Theatre
The grand interior of the American Theatre. The theatre opened on 26 March 1928. Once located at 115 S. Jefferson Street, the theatre closed in 1970 and was razed in January of 1973 to make way for the First National Exchange Bank.

Davis 42.521 American Theatre
Children pack the American Theatre for the Saturday Morning Children's Show. Hayden Huddleston can be seen to the left center in front of the stage.

Davis 42.53 Academy of Music
Interior of the Academy of Music. Built in 1892 on Salem Avenue near 5th Street, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was demolished in 1953.

Davis 42.531 Academy of Music
The Academy of Music was located in the 400 block of West Salem Avenue. The Academy opened 7 October 1892. After World War II, it fell into disuse and was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.532 Academy of Music
Looking West on Salem Avenue at the Academy of Music. Built in 1892, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall
Rorer Hall was built by Ferdinand Rorer in 1878 on the Northeast corner of Campbell Avenue and 3rd Street. Caption reads, "Roanoke's first thetre [sic] built by F. Rorer. Opened by John W. Sherman with his first play, "The Brothers". The building…

Davis 43.1 Shenandoah Building
The Shenandoah Building, located at 305 1st Street.

Davis 43.121 Appalachian Power Company
Appalachian Power Company , located at 40 Franklin Road.

Davis 43.122 AEP Picnic
Appalachian Power Company employees drink Cokes in a contest.

Davis 43.123  AEP Office
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.124 AEP Office
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.125 AEP Office
The original AEP Office, once located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue, at night..

Davis 43.126 AEP Appliance Demonstration Trailer
Appalachian Electric Power demonstration trailer for farm and home.

Davis 43.1261 AEP Appliance Demonstration Van
Appalachian Electric Power demonstration van

Davis 43.1262  AEP Appliance Demonstration Van
A.P. Co. Appliance Demonstration Van with appliances displayed by attendant

Davis 43.13 McBain Building
The McBain building was located at 34 Campbell Avenue. Stone Smoke Shop sign visible in front of building. The building was razed in 1956.

Davis 43.14 Coulter Building
The Coulter Building at 601-605 Jefferson Street. Built in 1926 and once the home of the Heironimus annex, this building now houses the Western Virginia Water Authority.

Davis 43.21 Norfolk & Western Office Fire
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.211 Norfolk & Western Office Fires
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.212 N&W General Offices Fire
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.213 N&W General Offices
The Norfolk and Western General Offices once stood at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street. The building was destroyed by fire 4 January 1896.

Davis 43.232 Antrim Motors
Antrim Motors, formerly located at 510 McClanahan Street.

Davis 43.3 First National Exchange Bank
Interior of First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.32 Mountain Trust Bank
Mountain Trust Bank , formerly located at 302 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.3211 Mountain Trust Bank Billboard
Billboard promoting Mountain Trust Bank

Davis 43.321a Mountain Trust Bank
Mountain Trust Bank branch, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.321b Mountain Trust Bank
Night view of Mountain Trust Bank at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321c Mountain Trust Bank
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321d Mountain Trust Bank
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.322 Mountain Trust Bank
The Crossroads branch of Mountain Trust Bank, formerly located at 4920 Williamson Road.

Davis 43.34 Terry Building
Built in 1892, the 8 story Terry Building was Roanoke's first "skyscraper". It was located on the Southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Colonial National Bank was housed in the building. Sadly, it was razed in 1927 to make room…

Davis 43.3509 Liberty Trust Building
Built in 1910 as First National Bank, the Liberty Trust Building stands at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.3681 FNEB Operations Center
First National Exchange Bank Operations Center located on Plantation Road.

Davis 43.391 Bank of Salem
The Bank of Salem formerly located at 100 E. Main Street.

Davis 43.412 Home Building and Savings
View of Home Building and Savings Storefront in 100 block of Church Avenue

Davis 43.71 Shenandoah Life Insurance Company
Shenandoah Life Insurance Company located at 2301 Brambleton Avenue.

Davis 43.711 Shenandoah Life Insurance Company
Rear view of Shenandoah Life Insurance Company, located at 2301 Brambleton Avenue.

Davis 43.712 Shenandoah Life Insurance Company
Shenandoah Life Insurance Company , located at 2301 Brambleton Avenue.

Davis 43.721 Allstate Insurance Co.
Allstate Insurance Company, formerly located at 3517 Brandon Avenue.

Davis 43.722 H.A. Lucas & Sons Contractors
H.A. Lucas & Sons Contractors, formerly located at 2404 Williamson Road.

Davis 43.81 Professional Building
Professional Building, formerly located on the corner of McClanahan Street & Crystal Spring Avenue.

Davis 43.91 Shenandoanh Life Insurance Company
Shenandoah Life Insurance Company, located at 2301 Brambleton Avenue.

Davis 44.12 ML Curley Confectionery
ML Curley Confectionery, formerly located at 23 Salem Avenue SE.

Davis 44.16 Sunnyside Awning Co.
Sunnyside Awning Company, formerly located at 621 1st Street.

Davis 44.21 Remington Rand
Remington Rand, formerly located at 502 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.22 Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc.
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. , formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.221 Auto Spring Bearing Company
Interior of Auto Spring and Bearing Company

Davis 44.222 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel
Auto Spring & Bearing unidentified office personnel.

Davis 44.223 Auto Spring & Bearing
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. Shipping & Receiving Dept.

Davis 44.224 ASB Interior
Interior of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.2241 Auto Spring & Bearing
The interior of Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.2242 Auto Spring & Bearing
An interior view of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.225 Auto Spring & Bearing Co.
An interior view of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.226 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel
Unidentified personnel of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.227 Auto Spring & Bearing
Traveling Representatives of the Auto Spring & Bearing Company, Inc. Seated on the left in the second desk is Paul Thompson; Robert Blount is seated at the fourth desk back. In the right row at the third desk is Walter Craig Hamilton, Sr. Other…

Davis 44.228 Auto Spring & Bearing
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.2291 Auto Spring & Bearing
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.2292 Auto Spring & Bearing
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc.

Davis 44.2296 Auto Spring & Bearing
Loading dock of Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc., looking north toward intersection of Luck Avenue & 1st Street. 1st Street can be seen in background.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.31 Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.311 Morgan-Eubank Furniture
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.321 W.T. Grant Co
W.T. Grant Company was located at 17-19 Campbell Avenue. The W.T. Grant Company was a variety store known for its inexpensive merchandise.

Davis 44.341a Fisher's Supply
The interior of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.341b Fisher's Supply Employees
Unidentified employees of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.621a Graybar Electric Employees
Employees of Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.621b Graybar Electric
Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue

Davis 44.621c Graybar Electric
Sales counter at Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.71 Kroger office
Kroger Company office building in Salem.

Davis 44.711 Kroger Office
The exterior of the Kroger office building.

Davis 44.712 Kroger Store
Kroger store, formerly located on Franklin Road near 581 onramp.

Davis 44.718 Kroger Training School
Kroger training school, location unknown.

Davis 44.81 Nelson Hardware Employees
Employees of Nelson Hardware Co. on 17 Campbell Ave. SE. 1948

Davis 45 Roanoke Machine Works
Roanoke Machine Works was founded in 1881. By 1883, the Shenandoah Valley Railroad acquired the facility. Norfolk & Western acquired the facility in 1897. From then on, it became known as the N&W Roanoke Shops. It is still an active maintenance…

Davis 45.31 Strietmann Biscuit
Strietmann Biscuit Company, formerly located at 1600 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 45.321a Rainbo Bakery
Interior view of Rainbo Bakery, formerly located at 2609 Plantation Road. The building is now used by Berglund Body Works.

Davis 45.326 Rainbo Bread Company
Rainbo Bread Company, formerly located at 2609 Plantation Road. The building is now used by Berglund Body Works.

Davis 45.331a1 Dr. Pepper Bottling Company
Dr. Pepper Bottling Company, formerly located at 451 McClanahan Street.

Davis 45.331a2 Dr. Pepper Bottling Company
Dr. Pepper Bottling Company, formerly located at 451 McClanahan Street.

Davis 45.51 Virginia Bridge Company
"Panorama" of Virginia Bridge Company shops and yard.

Davis 45.5131 Virginia Bridge and Iron Truck
Virginia Bridge and Iron Company Truck

Davis 45.52 Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon
Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon Works, formerly located at 10 Kirk Avenue.

Davis 45.53 Cook Electric Sign
Cook Electric Sign atop AEP plant, formerly located at Walnut Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 45.61 General Electric
General Electric, located at 1531 Roanoke Boulevard in Salem.

Davis 45.611 General Electric
General Electric, located at 1531 Roanoke Boulevard in Salem.

Davis 45.612 General Electric
Interior of General Electric

Davis 45.613 General Electric
Female workers at General Electric

Davis 45.62 Yale & Towne
Yale & Towne Manufacturing Company. Located at 1242 S. Colorado Street, the building is now used by Graham-White.

Davis 45.63 Burlington Mills
Aerial view of Burlington Mills Corporation. Located on West Virginia Avenue in Vinton, the building is now used by Precision Fabrics Group, Inc.

Davis 45.71 Blue Ridge Industrial Park
Aerial view of Blue Ridge Industrial Park between Brandon Avenue and Shenandoah Avenue. The park is now located on Aerial Way Drive. Brandon Avenue is the road bisecting the lower portion of the photo. Roanoke Electric Steel can be seen above the…

Davis 45.72 Roanoke Industrial Center
Aerial view of Roanoke Industrial Center, formerly American Viscose, including a listing of the businesses who occupied each building. American Viscose, once the world's largest producer of artificial silk, opened in 1917. By the 1920s, the plant…

Davis 45.811 Stanford & Inge
J.W. Inge in office with unknown woman. Stanford & Inge specialized in neon signs and outdoor advertisements.

Davis 45.812a Southern Varnish Co.
Unidentified man working in Southern Varnish Company, formerly located at 2837 Roanoke Avenue.

Davis 45.812b Southern Varnish Co.
Unidentified man working in Southern Varnish Company, formerly located at 2837 Roanoke Avenue.

Davis 46 Hedge Lawn Nurseries
Trucks from Head Lawn Nurseries. Head Lawn was once located on Williamson Road at Floraland Avenue.

Davis 46.212 Renick Motor Company
Renick Motor Company, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road. Renick Motors was a used car dealership.

Davis 46.221 Jarrett-Chewning Co., Inc.
Jarrett Chewing Co. Inc. - 360 Luck Ave. SW George Davis in hat & light overcoat, others unidentified

Davis 46.24b Valley Cadillac
Valley Cadillac - Oldsmobile Showroom, located at 2743 Franklin Road.

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 46.31 Esso Window Display
Window display at an Esso Station.

Davis 46.325 Peters Creek Esso
Peters Creek Esso Service Center was located at 2700 Peters Creek Road.

Davis 46.331 Vance's Esso
Vance's Esso Service Center was located at 108 Commonwealth Avenue.

Davis 46.332 Vance's Esso
Vance's Esso Service Center was located at 108 Commonwealth Avenue.

Davis 46.41 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.412 Boyle Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company formerly located at 104 W. Main Street in Salem.

Davis 46.414 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414a Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414b Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414c Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414d Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414e  Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414f Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414g Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414h Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414i Boyle-Swecker Tire Company
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.51 Porterfield Distributing Co
Porterfield Distributing Company trucks in front of building, formerly located at 1354 8th Street SW.

Davis 46.514a Porterfield Distributing Co
Porterfield Distributing Company trucks in front of building formerly located at 1354 8th Street SW.

Davis 46.514b Porterfield Distributing Co
Porterfield Distributing Company trucks in front of building formerly located at 1354 8th Street SW.

Davis 46.8 Larry Dow Pontiac
Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue.

Davis 47.1 McKesson & Robbins
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.11 McKesson & Robbins
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.21 Harris Hardwood
Aerial view of Harris Hardwood Company, formerly located in the Norwich neighborhood.

Davis 47.212 Harris Hardwood
Lumber yard of Harris Hardwood Company, formerly located in the Norwich neighborhood.

Davis 47.213 Harris Hardwood
Harris Hardwood Company, formerly located in the Norwich neighborhood.

Davis 47.214 Harris Hardwood
Harris Hardwood Company, formerly located in the Norwich neighborhood.

Davis 47.221 C.L. Fielder
C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221a C.L. Fielder
An office at C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221b C.L. Fielder
Unidentified building interior showing steel truss work completed by C.L. Fielder Structural Steel.

Davis 47.221c C.L. Fielder
Factory floor of C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221d C.L. Fielder
Unidentified building interior showing steel work completed by C.L. Fiedler Structural Steel.

Davis 47.232a Southern States
Southern States Cooperative, formerly located at 907 4th Street SE.

Davis 47.232b Southern States
Unidentified employee stocks inventory at Southern States Cooperative, formerly located at 907 4th Street SE.

Davis 47.232c Southern States
Unidentified employee stocks inventory at Southern States Cooperative, formerly located at 907 4th Street SE.

Davis 47.31 Model Mill Company
Model Mill Company in Johnson City, Tennessee.

Davis 47.41 Magic City Launderers
Magic City Launderers, formerly located next to Memorial Bridge. Building is now the home of Black Dog Salvage.

Davis 47.412 Magic City Launderers
Magic City Launderers, formerly located next to Memorial Bridge. Building is now the home of Black Dog Salvage.

Davis 47.42 Crystal Spring Laundry
Crystal Spring Laundry, formerly located at 720 Franklin Road.

Davis 48.1 S&H Green Stamps
S&H Green Stamps, formerly located at 419 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 48.11 Garst Brothers Dairy
Garst Brothers Dairy, formerly located at 1118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 48.13 Garst Brothers Dairy
Right side view of Garst Brothers Dairy with trucks lining the building

Davis 48.1b S&H Green Stamps
S&H Green Stamps, formerly located at 2514 Franklin Road.

Davis 48.1c S&H Green Stamps
S&H Green Stamps, formerly located at 2514 Franklin Road.

Davis 48.1d S&H Green Stamps
S&H Green Stamps, formerly located at 2514 Franklin Road.

Davis 48.21 Clover Creamery Truck
Clover Creamery delivery truck.

Davis 48.211 Clover Creamery Truck
Clover Creamery delivery truck.

Davis 48.31 Kay's Ice Cream Truck
Kay's Ice Cream truck

Davis 48.31b Kay's Ice Cream Truck
Kay's Ice Cream Truck

Davis 48.32 Columbia Chemical Corp
Columbia Chemical Corporation delivery truck. Columbia Chemical was a soft drink manufacturer with a product called 3-C Nectar, marketed as "the drink of the gods".

Davis 48.41 Holyfield-Mann Food
Holyfield-Mann Food Company, formerly located at 2923 Brambleton Avenue.

Davis 48.42 Katz Food Co
Employees stand in front of Katz Food Company, formerly located at 1623 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48.5 Salem Saloon
Interior of an indentified saloon on Salem Avenue.

Davis 48.611 Crobuks Drug Center
Sign for Crobuck's Drug Center, formerly located at 2310 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 48.622 Garland's Drugstore
Garland's Drugstore was formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road. This photo was taken just prior to opening day in 1953

Davis 48.623 Garland's Drugstore
Garland's Drugstore, formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road.

Davis 48.6231 Garlands Drugstore
Interior view of Garland's Drugstore.

Davis 48.711 Archie's Gift Shoppe
Archie's Gift Shoppe, formerly located at 7130 Williamson Road. This photo shows a dog kennel display.

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…

Davis 48.741 Little Chef
Little Chef Restaurant, formerly located at 1307 Williamson Road.

Davis 48d Kroger Office
Kroger employees at the Kroger offices, formerly located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48e Kroger Office
Kroger employees at the Kroger offices, formerly located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48f Kroger Interior
Interior view of a Kroger store in Roanoke.

Davis 48g Kroger Distribution
Kroger Distribution Center. Offices and distribution center were located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 49.112 Towers Mall
Lower level of Towers Shopping Center.

Davis 49.12 Crossroads Mall
Interior view of Crossroads Mall. When it was built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed mall in Virginia.

Davis 49.121 Crossroads Mall
Crossroads Mall, located at the intersection of Williamson Road and Hershberger Road. Built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed shopping center in Virginia.

Davis 49.31 Shimchocks Litho Service
Shimchock's Litho Service, located at 121 Sycamore Avene NE.

Davis 49.51 Barber Shop
Unidentified barber shop.

Davis 49.473 Howard Johnson Restaurant
Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant, formerly located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 5.1 Community Hospital
Aerial view of Downtown and Community Hospital

Davis 5.12 Aerial View of Roanoke
Aerial View of Roanoke. I-581 construction underway. Interstate can be seen bisecting photograph.

Davis 5.3 Roanoke from Mill Mountain
View of the Roanoke Valley from Mill Mountain
View all 945 items