Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (235 total)

FE261 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

FE112 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street SW.

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

TNC 60.13 Blacksburg Presbyterian.jpg
Blacksburg Presbyterian Church, located at 701 Church Street, Blacksburg.

TNC 60.7 Blacksburg Christian Church.jpg
Blacksburg Christian Church, located at 240 Watson Avenue, Blacksburg.

PS 142.0 Greene Memorial Choir.jpg
Group photograph of Greene Memorial United Methodist Chuch choir.

PS 108 Last Supper.jpg
Reenactment of the Last Supper at Greene Memorial United Methodist Church.

PS 102 Greene Memorial Choir.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church junior choir.

PS 33.2 Second Presbyterian Choir.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church junior choir.

PS 33.0 Second Presbyterian Choir.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church junior choir.

pgcc001.jpg
Piney Grove Christian Church.The church was located in Roanoke County and was razed in the early 1970s due to the creation/expansion of Route 419. The church was located where the on-ramp is located from 419 to 220 South, near Tanglewood Mall. The…

sr135.jpg
This was the sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church congregation from 1904 until 1953. It was located on the northeast corner of College and Clay Avenues.

sr134.jpg
The congregation was organized in 1915. Their present sanctuary, shown here, on North Bruffey Street was dedicated in April 1953.

sr133.jpg
College Lutheran Church – This collage shows the various structures associated with College Lutheran. The congregation first met in the Roanoke College chapel (top left) from 1852 until 1858; then they built their first sanctuary (top right) which…

sr132.jpg
While termed “First” church here, the sanctuary is known as home to the Salem Presbyterian Church located on Main Street. Salem Presbyterian was organized in 1831 and dedicated this sanctuary in 1852. Additions were made in 1914 and 1958.

sr131.jpg
Known originally as the First Methodist Episcopal Church when organized in 1908, the congregation later was called Second Methodist (1939) and then Central Methodist (1954). The sanctuary shown here was consecrated on June 26, 1955.

sr130.jpg
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was started in 1870 and at the date of this card’s printing (1912), it stood on the corner of Water Street and Calhoun.

sr128.jpg
St. Paul's Episcopal congregation was organized around 1867. The congregation moved a few times before erecting this sanctuary on Main Street in 1911 There have since been numerous acquisitions and additions to the facility.

sr127.jpg
The Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and dedicated their sanctuary at the corner of North Broad Street and College Avenue in 1873. An educational building was added in 1952. The new sanctuary seen today was erected in 1967.

sr055.jpg
This Methodist Church was an early sanctuary of the present-day Thrasher Memorial United Methodist Church. The present sanctuary was built in 1963. The church was named for Paul and Sallie Thrasher, pioneer Methodists in the Roanoke Valley. The…

sr051.jpg
Vinton Baptist Church began in 1892. The building shown in this postcard rendering is one constructed in 1924, replacing the original sanctuary of 1894.

sr043.jpg
Enon Baptist Church is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the Roanoke Valley. Built in 1855 across from the entrance of present-day Hollins University, the church was established by Charles Cocke, president of Hollins Institute.

city017.jpg
The Belmont section of Roanoke, long-served by the Christian Church there, began as a 40-home development around 1889. The Belmont School opened in 1893 and soon followed street car service (1905), the city’s first automobile fire steamer (1911),…

city016.jpg
A member used this card to celebrate her new church sanctuary: “Our new church cost $15,000, pipe organ $2,650, pews $1,100. Expect to dedicate third Sunday in April.” Unfortunately, the church was badly damaged by a fire in 1917, but…

city015.jpg
Belmont Baptist Church was organized on October 17, 1901. They dedicated their first sanctuary in Southeast Roanoke in 1904. Belmont Baptist continues to worship in the sanctuary depicted on this card.

city004.jpg
The Calvary Baptist Church on Campbell Avenue had as its early sanctuary this beautiful building which was located directly across the street from the present-day facility. Needing more space for the growing congregation and with the completion of…

BM365.jpg
Belleview Primitive Baptist Church on Roselawn Road.

BM359.jpg
Mormon Church Group at Back Creek.

BM326.jpg
A vacant Bottom Creek Church of the Brethren.

BM325.jpg
A vacant Christo Evangelical Wesleyan Church in the Bottom Creek area.

BM318.jpg
Postcard of Cave Spring Baptist Church, showing parsonage and sanctuary.

BM021.jpg
Ink sketch of Kittinger Chapel, artist unknown.

BM018.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM016.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM237.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM235.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM234.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church.

BM230.jpg
Mount Union Church of the Brethren on Bent Mountain. The original 1896 church building is seen. Rev. Oscar Fike (right) and his parents are on the front steps.

BM207.jpg
Rendering of original log Laurel Ridge Church by Joey Meador.

BM206.jpg
Elders of Pigg River Primitive Baptist Association at Basham Church in Stewartsville, Virginia.

BM204.jpg
Bellview Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM203.jpg
Laurel Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM191.jpg
Mount Olivet Baptist Church on Route 221, Bent Mountain.

BM180.jpg
Kittinger Chapel was located on Landmark Circle in Roanoke County. It was razed in the early 2000s.

BM176.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM100.jpg
First Mormon chapel in Southwest Roanoke County, located on Bearing Road.

BM045.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

PC 99.12 Trinity United Methodist.jpg
"Trinity M.E. Church, South, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.11 Second Presbyterian.jpg
"Second Presbyterian Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.103 Manse, First Presbyterian.jpg
"Manse, First Presbyterian Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.101 First Presbyterian.jpg
"First Presbyterian Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.10 First Presbyterian.jpg
"First Presbyterian Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.91 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
"Virginia Heights Baptist Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.9 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
"Virginia Heights Baptist Church, organized 1919. Educational building erected 1922; The auditorium of Colonial design throughout, with complete cooling system, was erected in 1938. Located in the Magic City of Roanoke, Virginia, the gateway to…

PC 99.8 Belmont M. E.jpg
"Belmont M.E. Church, South, corner of Jamison Avenue and Eighth Street, SE, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.7 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.jpg
"Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 2015 Grandin Road, SW, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.64 Greene Memorial United Methodist.jpg
"Greene Memorial M.E. Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.63 Greene Memorial United Methodist.jpg
"Greene Memorial Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.62 Greene Memorial United Methodist.jpg
"Greene Memorial Methodist Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.61 Greene Memorial United Methodist.jpg
"Roanoke's largest methodist church."

PC 99.5 Raleigh Court Methodist.jpg
"Raleigh Court Methodist Church, 1706 Grandin Road, SW, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.4 St. Mark's Lutheran.jpg
"St. Mark's Lutheran Church, corner of Highland and Franklin Road, SW, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.3 St. John's Episcopal.jpg
"St. John's Episcopal Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.28 St. Andrew's.jpg
"Interior St. Andrew's Cathedral, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.27 St. Andrew's.jpg
"St. Andrew's Church and School. Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.26 St. Andrew's.jpg
"St. Andrew's Church. St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church is located on top of a high hill and surrounded by beautiful grounds. It has several fine memorial windows and the altar is most beautiful. The congregation is very large, numbering about…

PC 99.25 St. Andrew's.jpg
"St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Roanoke, Virginia. Built in 1900, this church is known throughout the community for its magnificent Gothic structure and rare imported stained glass windows. Photography in this case was unique in that three different…

PC 99.23 St. Andrew's.jpg
"Saint Andrews Catholic Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.22 St. Andrew's.jpg
"St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.2 St. Andrews.jpg
"St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.1 Christ Episcopal.jpg
"Christ Episcopal Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 99.0 First Baptist.jpg
"First Baptist Church, Roanoke, Virginia."

IRB7 Church.jpg
One story part basement frame building, new composition roof, plastered interior finish, wood floors, electric lighting, hot air heat. Building in good condition. Occupancy: Church of Christ. Valuation: The sound value of this building is…

GB021 First Baptist Church of Gainsboro, Interior.jpg
Interior of the original sancuary of the First Baptist Church in Gainsboro. The building was designed by architect Henry Harwell Huggins and was located at 407 North Jefferson Street. A cornerstone for the church was laid and ground was broken in…

Davis 23.216 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church, located at 1837 Grandin Road.

Davis 23.31 Belmont Presbyterian.jpg
Belmont Presbyterian Church located at 1005 9th Street Southeast.

Davis 23.34 Belmont Presbyterian.jpg
Belmont Presbyterian Church located at 1005 9th Street Southeast.

Davis 23.41 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 23.51 Second Presbyterian.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church, located at 214 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 23.52 Second Presbyterian.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church, located at 214 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 23.61 West End Presbyterian.jpg
West End Presbyterian Church, located at 1200 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 23.611 West End Presbyterian.jpg
West End Presbyterian Church, located at 1200 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 24.18 St. John's Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 24.215 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Mural behind the pulpit of Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 24.2 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Christ Episcopal Church choir stands next to the church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 22.97 St. John's AME Zion.jpg
St. John's African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, formerly located on Gilmer Avenue near Commonwealth Avenue NE.

Davis 22.45 Pilgrim Holiness.jpg
Pilgrim Holiness Church, formerly located at 599 19th Street NW.

Davis 22.95 Mt. Zion AME.jpg
Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly located on Gainsboro Road near Rutherford Avenue NW.

Davis 21.531 Jefferson Street Baptist.jpg
Jefferson Street Baptist Church, formerly located at the corner of Jefferson Street and Wells Avenue NW.

Davis 21.8 Melrose Baptist.jpg
Melrose Baptist Church, formerly located at 1130 Melrose Avenue NW. The building is now used by Holiness Tabernacle Church of God in Christ.

Davis 21.7 High Street Baptist.jpg
High Street Baptist Church, formerly located at 23-25 Centre Avenue NW. The congregation built a new sanctuary at 2302 Florida Avenue NW in 1971. This building was razed in 1974.

Davis 23.5 Fifth Avenue Presbyterian.jpg
The old Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, formerly located at the corner of Patton Avenue (once 5th Avenue) and 3rd Street NW. The stained glass window is the Jackson Window, installed in 1905 by Rev. L.L. Downing, the pastor of the Fifth Avenue…

Davis 21.22 First Baptist Gainsboro.jpg
First Baptist Church was located at 407 N. Jefferson Street. Built between 1898 and 1900, it was used by the congregation until a new sanctuary was built in 1982. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The building was…

Davis 28.34 Virginia Heights Lutheran.jpg
Virginia Heights Lutheran Church was the predecessor of Christ Lutheran Church. This chapel was located next to where the Grandin Theatre stands today. Built in 1917, the chapel was in use by the congregation until 1948.

Davis 28.33 Virginia Heights Lutheran.jpg
Virginia Heights Lutheran Church was the predecessor of Christ Lutheran Church. This chapel was located next to where the Grandin Theatre stands today. Built in 1917, the chapel was in use by the congregation until 1948.

Davis 27.631 Glad Tidings.jpg
Interior view of Glad Tidings Assembly of God, formerly located at 1217 Maple Avenue SW.

Davis 27.63 Glad Tidings.jpg
Glad Tidings Assembly of God, formerly located at 1217 Maple Avenue SW.

Davis 27.54 Troutville CoB.jpg
The old Troutville Church of the Brethren, formerly located in the 5100 block of Lee Highway.

Davis 27.53 First CoB.jpg
The old First Church of the Brethren, located at 730 Loudon Avenue NW, is now Loudon Avenue Christian Church.

Davis 27.571 9th Street CoB.jpg
Ninth Street Church of the Brethren, located at 1103 9th Street SE.

Davis 27.57 9th Street CoB.jpg
Ninth Street Church of the Brethren, located at 1103 9th Street SE.

Davis 27.27 Melrose Avenue Christian.jpg
Melrose Avenue Christian Church, formerly located at 2126 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 27.22 Belmont Christian.jpg
The old Belmont Christian Church sanctuary, located at 11th Street and Jamison Avenue SE.

Davis 27.11 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
First Church of Christ Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 23.213 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church, located at 1837 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 23.11 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 22.717 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.716 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.713 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.712 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.711 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.71 Raleigh Court UMC.jpg
Raleigh Court United Methodist Church, located at 1706 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 22.622 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.621 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.61 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.6 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.51 Belmont UMC.jpg
Belmont United Methodist Church, formerly located at 806 Jamison Avenue SE. The building is now used by Metropolitan Community Church.

Davis 22.5 Belmont UMC.jpg
Belmont United Methodist Church, formerly located at 806 Jamison Avenue SE. The building is now used by Metropolitan Community Church.

Davis 22.42 West End UMC.jpg
West End United Methodist Church, located at 550 13th Street SW.

Davis 22.41 West End UMC.jpg
West End United Methodist Church, located at 550 13th Street SW.

Davis 22.4 West End UMC.jpg
West End United Methodist Church, located at 550 13th Street SW.

Davis 22.34 Melrose UMC Choir.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church choir.

Davis 22.32 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 22.3 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 22.21 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.2 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.16 St Pauls UMC.jpg
St. Paul's United Methodist Church, located at 502 Gilmer Avenue NW.

Davis 22.15 Lee Street Methodist Episcopal.jpg
Lee Street Methodist Episcopal Church, formerly located at 3rd Street and Harrison Avenue NE.

Davis 22.1 Tazewell Avenue Methodist.jpg
Tazewell Avenue Methodist Church, formerly located at 401 Tazewell Avenue SE, is now part of the Rescue Mission.

Davis 21.55 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1020 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis 21.545 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Interior view of the current sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.542 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Interior view of the current sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.54a Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
The first sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.521 Vinton Baptist.jpg
The old sanctuary of Vinton Baptist Church, Completed in 1923, this sanctuary was used until 1986 when it was razed for the new sanctuary, located at 219 Washington Avenue.

Davis 21.52 Vinton Baptist.jpg
The old sanctuary of Vinton Baptist Church. Completed in 1923, this sanctuary was used until 1986 when it was razed for the new sanctuary, located at 219 Washington Avenue.

Davis 21.411 Hill Street Baptist.jpg
A group of children in front of Hill Street Baptist Church. This building was located on 5th Street NW. It was razed in 1978 as a result of "urban renewal".

Davis2 29d Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 21.309 Calvary Baptist.jpg
The old Calvary Baptist Church, formerly located on Campbell Avenue between 5th Street and 6th Street. This building was used until completion of the current building in 1925.

Davis 21.212 First Baptist.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.209 First Baptist.jpg
The old First Baptist Church, formerly located on the site of the new building at 3rd Street and Luck Avenue SW.

Davis 21.11 Belmont Baptist.jpg
Belmont Baptist Church, located at 825 Stewart Avenue SE.

Davis2 8.31 Fincastle Presbyterian.jpg
Fincastle Presbyterian Church, located at 108 E. Back Street in Fincastle.

Davis2 27d Holy Trinity.jpg
Construction of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, located at 30 Huntington Boulevard NE.

Davis2 21.554 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1026 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis2 21.553 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1026 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis2 28.3 Christ Lutheran.jpg
Christ Lutheran Church, located at 2011 Brandon Avenue SW.

Davis2 29c Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

MP 3.6 Peters Creek Brethren.jpg
Peters Creek Church of the Brethren, located in the 5300 block of Cove Road.

Underwood 32 St Andrews.jpg
Aerial view of St. Andrews Catholic Church.

Davis GL 52  Old Episcopal Church.jpg
Ruins of an episcopal church in Northeast Roanoke.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

UC 81 Colonial Avenue Baptist.jpg
Colonial Avenue Baptist Church, located at 4165 Colonial Avenue.

UC 7 Northview UMC.jpg
Northview United Methodist Church, located at 521 Ridgecrest Drive.

Davis2 56 Waverly Church Choir.jpg
Unidentified members of the Waverly Place Baptist Church Choir.

Davis2 27.55 Hott Bishop Memorial.jpg
Hott Bishop Memorial United Brethren Church, formerly located on Tazewell Avenue.

Davis2 23.5 Salem Presbyterian.jpg
Salem Presbyterian Church, located at 41 E. Main Street.

Davis2 23.44 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis2 22.4 Woodlawn Methodist.jpg
Woodlawn United Methodist Church, located at 2922 Corbieshaw Road.

Davis2 11.959d duPont Chapel.jpg
duPont Chapel on the campus of Hollins College

Davis2 11.959c duPont Chapel.jpg
duPont Chapel on the campus of Hollins College

Davis2 11.959b duPont Chapel.jpg
duPont Chapel on the campus of Hollins College

Davis2 11.959a duPont Chapel.jpg
duPont Chapel on the campus of Hollins College

Davis 8.3 Fincastle Presbyterian Church.jpg
Fincastle Presbyterian Church located at 108 E. Back Street in Fincastle, Virginia

Davis 8.1 Main Street Baptist Church.jpg
Main Street Baptist Church in Clifton Forge.

Davis 56  REv. James and Parishioners.jpg
Reverend A.L. James of First Baptist Church (Front row, 3rd from right) and parishioners.

Davis 29b Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29a Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29.9 Church of God.jpg
Church of God parishioners

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran.jpg
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is not located on the site.

Davis 28.1 St Marks Lutheran.jpg
Old St. Marks Lutheran Church built by Methodists on corner of Campbell Ave. and 3rd St.

Davis 28.01b Old Lutheran Church.jpg
Now the site of Brandon Oaks Lifecare Retirement Home, tradition has it that this structure was the first Lutheran Church in the area. A historical marker is located in the area where the church once stood.

Davis 28.01a Old Lutheran Church sign.jpg
Located on Brandon Avenue near the entrance to Brandon Oaks Lifecare Retirement Home, this historical marker makes note of the first Lutheran congregation in the area.

Davis 27c Holy Trinity Parishioners.jpg
Parishioners of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.

Davis 27b Trinity Holiness Church.jpg
Parishioners of the former Trinity Holiness Church.

Davis 27a Trinity Holiness Church.jpg
Parishioners of the former Trinity Holiness Church.

Davis 27.62 Melrose Avenue SDA Church.jpg
Melrose Avuenue Seventh Day Adventist Church, located at 1601 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 27.61 Evangelical Foursquare.jpg
Evangelical Foursquare Church, located at 612 Bullitt Avenue. Building is now used by New Beginnings Pentecostal Church

Davis 27.591 Ghent Brethren Church.jpg
Ghent Grace Brethren Church, located at 1511 Wasena Avenue.

Davis 27.51 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
The Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.5 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
Interior view of Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.31 Roanoke Church of Christ.jpg
Roanoke Church of Christ, located at 2606 Brandon Avenue.

Davis 27.2 First Christian Church.jpg
First Christian Church, locate at 344 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.1 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
The First Church of Christ. Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.312 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.311 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.22 St Andrews Service.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church sanctuary during Mass.

Davis 25.21 St Andrews Service.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church sanctuary during Mass.

Davis 25.2 St Andrews interior.jpg
The sanctuary of St. Andrew's Catholic Church.

Davis 25.15 St Andrews Construction.jpg
Men at work during the construction of St. Andrew's Catholic Church

Davis 25.14 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.13 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church was built in 1902

Davis 25.12 Ryan Hall.jpg
Ryan Hall, the first school building for Roanoke Catholic. The building was razed in 1999.

Davis 25.11 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.1 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 24.214 Christ Episcopal.jpg
The sanctuary of Christ Episcopal Church located at 1101 Franklin Road

Davis 24.181 St Johns Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.12 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photo, the vacant building's lawn is being used for billboards. The signs include: Jamison's Chain Grocery Stores, Colonial National Bank,…

Davis 24.1 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Espiscopal Church at its Church Avenue and 2nd Street location. The building was not being used by the church at the time this photo was taken. General Outdoor Adventure Co. was using the building.

Davis 24.01 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
Remaining walls of St. John's Episcopal Church. St. John's was the first Episcopal in the Old Lick area of Roanoke County. The cabin in the background once belonged to Bernie Rideout Holland, a former slave of General Edward Watts. Built in 1850,…

Davis 23.43 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 23.35 Belmont Presbyterian.jpg
Belmont Presbyterian Church, located at 1005 9th Street SE.

Davis 23.2152 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
The sanctuary of Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church.

Davis 23.2151 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Stained glass window in the sanctuary of Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church.

Davis 23.214a Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.211 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.21 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian Church located at 1837 Grandin Road..

Davis 23.2 Raleigh Court Presbyterian.jpg
Raleigh Court Presbyterian located at 1837 Grandin Road.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 22.911 Mount Pleasant Methodist.jpg
Mount Pleasant Methodist Church located at 3035 Mount Pleasant Blvd.

Davis 22.82 Grace Methodist Church.jpg
Grace Methodist Church located at 4404 Williamson Road.

Davis 22.81 Northview Methodist Church.jpg
Northview Methodist Church located at 521 Ridgecrest Drive in Hollins.

Davis 22.63 Trinity Methodist.jpg
Trinity Methodist Church located at 305 Mountain Avenue.

Davis 22.624c Trinity UMC Group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624b Trinity UMC Group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624a Trinity Methodist group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.623 Trinity Methodist.jpg
Trinity Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue.

Davis 22.52 Belmont Baptist Church.jpg
Belmont United Methodist Church, formerly located at 806 Jamison Avenue, is now Metropolitan Community Church.

Davis 22.33 Melrose United Methodist.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue

Davis 21.61 Pastors of Enon Baptist.jpg
Plaque listing pastors of Enon Baptist Church in Hollins from 1855 -1902.

Davis 21.552 Villa Heights Bible School.jpg
Group photo of Bible School attendees at Villa Heights Baptist Church.

Davis 21.551 Villa Heights Baptist Church.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1020 Lafayette Blvd. NW.

Davis 21.543 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.524 Vinton Baptist Group.jpg
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.523e Vinton Baptist Group.jpg
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.523d Vinton Baptist Group.jpg
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.523a Vinton Baptist Group.jpg
Group photo of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners at Bible retreat.

Davis 21.522 Vinton Baptist Group.jpeg
Group portrait of Vinton Baptist Church parishioners.

Davis 21.512 Oakland Baptist.jpg
A newly constructed Oakland Baptist Church on right with an inset of the original Oakland Baptist at left.

Davis 21.511 Oakland Baptist Church.jpg
Oakland Baptist Church at 3623 Roundhill Avenue

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
Doors of First Baptist Church at 515 3rd Street.

Davis 21.1 Belmont Baptist.jpg
Belmont Baptist Church on Stewart Ave. SE and 9th Street.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2