This photo postcard shows the old county courthouse. The structure was built in 1841 on a lot purchased by Roanoke County from John Gray of Missouri for $400. The courthouse was constructed by Salem hotelier William C. Williams. During the Civil War, the structure served as a hospital, and if anyone dared to carve on the wooden interior ornamentation they could be fined $5. The courthouse stood for 69 years being demolished in February of 1909 due to severe structural deterioration.
Roanoke Public Libraries
Nelson Harris, George Wade
Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.
Is Version Of
Salem and Roanoke County in Vintage Postcards by Nelson Harris (2005)
unknown, “SR088 Courthouse,” Virginia Room Digital Collection, accessed June 25, 2022, http://www.virginiaroom.org/digital/document/sr088.