Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall

FILES

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall

Description

Rorer Hall was built by Ferdinand Rorer in 1878 on the Northeast corner of Campbell Avenue and 3rd Street. Caption reads, "Roanoke's first thetre [sic] built by F. Rorer. Opened by John W. Sherman with his first play, "The Brothers". The building was later used as a town hall with the second floor being a jail and courthouse. After serving as a fire station for a number of years, the building was razed in 1928.

Creator

George C. Davis Photography

Publisher

Roanoke Public Libraries

Date

1884

Rights

Please contact the Virginia Room at 540.853.2073 for permission to use.

Identifier

Davis42.54

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Photograph

Citation

George C. Davis Photography, “Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall,” Virginia Room Digital Collection, accessed October 30, 2020, http://www.virginiaroom.org/digital/document/Davis42.54.