Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (158 total)

RNRV50.jpg
A streetcar travels along Campbell Avenue near the intersection with Jefferson Street. Terry Building visible at right.

RNRV45.jpg
A busy day at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street. The Terry Building is visible in the background.

RNRV14.jpg
Vest Furniture Company, formerly located at 109 Campbell Avenue SW. Sid Vest, owner, is pictured in white shirt.

FE288 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE279 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE276 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building was built in 1915.

FE272 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE263 Day and Night Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, Day & Night Bank in this photograph and State & City Bank.

FE214 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue.

FE201 State & City Building.jpg
State & City Building, located at 102 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE195 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Lyle's Drugstore occupied the right half of this building, located at 101 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE185 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east from the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

FE150 Jefferson High.jpg
Originally constructed in 1922, Jefferson High School was Roanoke's largest high school for half a century.

FE147 State & City Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, State & City Bank in this photograph and Day & Night Bank.

FE123 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE088 Roanoke Machine Shop Band.jpg
Led by the Roanoke Machine Works band, the funeral procession of William Nolty winds slowly past "Brick Row" on E. Campbell Avenue. "Brick Row" was built as a low-rent housing area for mostly less skilled workers at Roanoke Machine Works. The…

FE073 Jefferson High School.jpg
Jefferson High School

FE071 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE069 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE058 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Crowds gather along Campbell Avenue to watch the Armistice Day Parade.

FE014 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. The Rialto Theatre is visible at left.

FE011 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies.

FE010 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue toward the Market Building from the roof of the Colonial American National Bank building.

FE007 Armistice Day Parade.jpg
A contingent of veterans march in the Armistice Day Parade on Campbell Avenue.

TNC 54.0 Dominion Tower.jpg
Dominion Tower construction shown from the roof of 213 S. Jefferson Street.

PS 263.1 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 263 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.7 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of salon in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.5 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.4 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.3 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.2 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of men's department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

SHH025.jpg
A crowd gathers in front of Heironimus on Campbell Avenue to watch the Roanoke Christmas parade.

SHH024.jpg
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH023.jpg
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

city014.jpg
J.H. Marsteller created ornate marble monuments and headstones. This card was produced for Marsteller in 1907, showing on the left the exhibit of Marsteller at the 1907 Jamestown Exhibition’s Timber and Mineral Building. The image on the right shows…

city004.jpg
The Calvary Baptist Church on Campbell Avenue had as its early sanctuary this beautiful building which was located directly across the street from the present-day facility. Needing more space for the growing congregation and with the completion of…

VRD 2.8.jpg
View of buildings along Campbell Avenue across from the Market Building, including the Roanoke Weiner Stand, Gulf Mills Department Store, and Bob's Shoe Store.

VRD 2.3.jpg
A view of the Market Building.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 14.22 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 2.163 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue near the Jefferson Street intersection. On the right is the First National Exchange Bank; visible on the left are Hanover Shoe, Virginia Dare Dresses and United Cigars.

MP 4.422 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on busy Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Kress & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.421 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street during paving. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Krees & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

PC 129.0 Terry Building.jpg
"Terry Building, Roanoke Virginia"

PC 128.25 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Night-time on Campbell Avenue, looking east, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.24 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking east, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.23 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking west at night, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.21 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking west, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.2 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 116.77 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"The Ponce de Leon Hotel located in the center of the business and shopping district, Roanoke, Virginia. All rooms air-conditioned. Coffee shop and private dining rooms with free guest parking lot adjacent, make this one of the city's most attractive…

PC 116.76 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"Ponce de Leon Hotel, Roanoke, Virginia. Located at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Commerce Street, within easy walking distance of business and shopping district and of theatres. Every streetcar and every highway route passing through the…

PC 116.75 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"Ponce de Leon Hotel, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 116.74 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"The Ponce de Leon Hotel, Roanoke, Virginia., ocated in the heart of the city, is a beautiful structure of modernistic design containing 200 attractive outside rooms. The interior arrangement follows a Spanish motif in keeping with name, and…

PC 116.73 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"New Ponce de Leon Hotel, Roanoke, Virginia. Located at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Commerce Street, within easy walking distance of business and shopping district and of theatres, which accessibility is so desirable. Every streetcar and…

PC 116.72 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"Hotel Ponce de Leon, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 116.71 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"Ponce de Leon Hotel and Annex, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 116.7 Ponce de Leon.jpg
"Hotel Ponce de Leon, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 116.5 Hotel Shenandoah.jpg
Hotel Shenandoah

Scyphers14 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. Visible are Leggett's, George T. Hitch Jewelers, Singer Sewing Machines, Beckner's and Easter's.

IRB1 Municpal Building.jpg
This is a large five story building of fire resistive construction erected in 1916, having a built-up roof, concrete and terrazzo floors, and direct plaster interior finish. There are two open stairs from the first to the the third floor, one…

RREC9 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Campbell Avenue Intersection. The Didier Grocers building at right, in earlier days, housed the street railway offices and provided a waiting room for the cars. In the middle of Jefferson Street, a horsecar…

RREC2 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from the 1st Street intersection. S.H. Heironimus and Company visible at left. Its location was 37-39 Campbell.

RREC1 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Campbell Avenue intersection.

Davis2 2.133 Hardy Shoes.jpg
Hardy Shoes for Men and Boys, formerly located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.13 Campbell and Jefferson.jpg
The Rosenberg Building, formerly located on the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street, was once the home of the Joy Shop, Barr Brothers Jewelers and Oak Hall Clothing.

Davis 2.1313 Barr Brothers.jpg
Barr Brothers Jewelers, formerly located at 4 Campell Avenue SE.

Davis 23.61 West End Presbyterian.jpg
West End Presbyterian Church, located at 1200 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 23.611 West End Presbyterian.jpg
West End Presbyterian Church, located at 1200 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 44.328 Joy Shop.jpg
The Joy Shop, formerly located at 27 W. Campbell Avenue. It would later move to the corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.327 Berts Shoes.jpg
Bert's Shoes, formerly located at 9 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.322 Leggetts.jpg
Leggetts decorated for Christmas, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 29d Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 21.309 Calvary Baptist.jpg
The old Calvary Baptist Church, formerly located on Campbell Avenue between 5th Street and 6th Street. This building was used until completion of the current building in 1925.

MP 57.0 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department in front of the Municipal Building.

Davis 106 Golden Jubilee.jpg
Spectators gather in front of the Municipal Building on Campbell Avenue to watch the Golden Jubilee parade.

Davis2 29c Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 75.83 JM Oakey.jpg
Hearse in front of John M. Oakey Funeral Home, formerly located at 126 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 63.12 Safety Motor Transit.jpg
Safety Motor Transit, formerly located at 12th Street and Campbell Avenue SE.

Davis2 63.1 Safety Motor Transit.jpg
Safety Motor Transit, formerly located at 12th Street and Campbell Avenue SE.

Davis2 44.7 Schulte United.jpg
Interior view of Schulte United Millinery, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 44.6 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of the children's department at Leggett's, formerly located 112 Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 43.631 Motor Finance.tif
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.63 Motor Finance Company.jpg
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 2.1116a East on Campbell.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.137b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts in the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 2.137a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts on the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 1.13 State & City.jpg
The first 3 floors of the State & City Building were built in 1905 for the State & City Bank. The additional 5 floors were added in the late 1920s. In 2008, the State & City building became Roanoke's first LEED certified building in the city. It…

MP 4.8 Henri Kessler.jpg
An unidentified employee works with a fur coat at Henri Kessler Furriers, formerly located at 117 Campbell Avenue.

Underwood 4 East on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking east down Campbell Avenue

Underwood 11 West on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking west on Campbell Avenue

Underwood 10 East on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking east down Campbell Avenue

Davis GL 81 Schulte United Building.jpg
Campbell Avenue as seen from the Schulte United building, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 80 Giles Brothers Furniture.jpg
Giles Brothers Furniture, formerly located at 108 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 30 Campbell Avenue.jpg
View of West Campbell Avenue at 8th Street intersection, 1928.

Davis GL 269 Jefferson Street.jpg
Northwest corner at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 19 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 110 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Various business signs along E. Campbell Avenue.

UC 57 Loyd & Fralin.jpg
Loyd and Fralin Attorneys, formerly located at 301 Campbell Avenue.

UC 30 American Motor Inns.jpg
American Motor Inns, formerly located at 103 Campbell Avenue.

CPC 8 Campbell and Chapman.jpg
Point where Chapman Avenue forks off of Campbell Avenue

CPC 7e Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7d Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7c Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 57 Freight Truck.jpg
Southern States Motor Freight truck parked on the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 13.13 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
The City of Roanoke's first courthouse and jail, formerly located at 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis 9.12 Auto parade.jpg
Roanoke's first auto parade on Campbell Ave. in front of present Municipal Building. United Commercial Travelers Grand Council parade. Ponce De Leon Hotel in right background.

Davis 65.921 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.92 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.91 Fire on Campbell.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel caught fire on 28 December 1928. All nine Roanoke engines and two ladder trucks were on the scene, including a hose truck from Vinton and an engine from Salem. The original 5 story portion of the hotel was destroyed and would…

Davis 56.9 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department group photo taken in front of the original courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue.

Davis 48.1 S&H Green Stamps.jpg
S&H Green Stamps, formerly located at 419 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company.jpg
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 44.311 Morgan-Eubank Furniture.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.31 Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.21 Remington Rand.jpg
Remington Rand, formerly located at 502 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.34 Terry Building.jpg
Built in 1892, the 8 story Terry Building was Roanoke's first "skyscraper". It was located on the Southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Colonial National Bank was housed in the building. Sadly, it was razed in 1927 to make room…

Davis 43.13 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building was located at 34 Campbell Avenue. Stone Smoke Shop sign visible in front of building. The building was razed in 1956.

Davis 43.125 AEP Office.jpg
The original AEP Office, once located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue, at night..

Davis 43.124 AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.123  AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 42.54 Rorer Hall.jpg
Rorer Hall was built by Ferdinand Rorer in 1878 on the Northeast corner of Campbell Avenue and 3rd Street. Caption reads, "Roanoke's first thetre [sic] built by F. Rorer. Opened by John W. Sherman with his first play, "The Brothers". The building…

Davis 3.15 Cows on Market.jpg
Cows on market for a livestock auction.

Davis 3.13 1927 Roanoke Flood.jpg
Cars drive through water on Campbell Avenue in front of the Market Building.

Davis 3.1 City Market Circa 1936.jpg
A view of the City Market area looking south on Market Street.

Davis 29b Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 29a Calvary Baptist Church.jpg
Interior view of Calvary Baptist Church sanctuary, located at 608 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 28.1 St Marks Lutheran.jpg
Old St. Marks Lutheran Church built by Methodists on corner of Campbell Ave. and 3rd St.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.312 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 25.311 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 2.14 Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple.jpg
Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple. Campbell and Jefferson. Homes in the background. About 1888.

Davis 2.1381 SH Davis Pictures.jpg
S.H. Davis Pictures, formerly located at 136 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 2.135 Butler's Shoes.jpg
Butler's Shoes 000 Block Campbell Ave. SW

Davis 2.1342 WT Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company and McClellan Stores, formerly located 17-23 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.1321 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from First Street.

Davis 16.1 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel at 131 Campbell Avenue. This building was constructed in 1931 on the foundation of the previous Ponce de Leon which burned in 1931.

Davis 14.21  Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.2 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 13.11 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
Courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue and 2nd Street.

Davis 12.2 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's first Post Office as seen from the East side of Henry Streeet (now 1st Street) looking toward Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.65 Jefferson High School.jpg
Jefferson High School from Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.21 West End School.jpg
West End Elementary School, formerly located at 918 Campbell Avenue. In this photo, the school is nearing completion.

RNC 8 Wilson & Company.jpg
Wilson & Company, seen in the foreground, was a wholesale meat company. It was located at 312 Campebell Avenue SE. Hotel Roanoke and N&W General Offices can be seen in background.

RNC 3 N&W Salvage.jpg
Norfolk & Western Salvage Warehouse, formerly located at 201 Campbell Avenue SE.

RNC 146 Municipal Building.jpg
View of the Municipal Building from 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

RNC 56 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2