Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (6 total)

sr135.jpg
This was the sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church congregation from 1904 until 1953. It was located on the northeast corner of College and Clay Avenues.

sr133.jpg
College Lutheran Church – This collage shows the various structures associated with College Lutheran. The congregation first met in the Roanoke College chapel (top left) from 1852 until 1858; then they built their first sanctuary (top right) which…

sr127.jpg
The Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and dedicated their sanctuary at the corner of North Broad Street and College Avenue in 1873. An educational building was added in 1952. The new sanctuary seen today was erected in 1967.

sr084.jpg
Good streets have always been one of the basic services provided by any municipality to its citizens. In 1909, a Salem newspaper headline read, “Good Streets Coming.” The editor was congratulating Salem leaders for applying crushed limestone to…

PC 139.18e College Avenue.jpg
"College Avenue, Salem, Virginia"

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2