Browse Items (40 total)
- Tags: Main Street
The old Blacksburg High School, later old Blacksburg Middle School, was located in the 500 block of S. Main Street in Blacksburg. The middle school closed in 2002 after completion of the new midle school on Prices Fork Road. The building was razed…
The Gables Shopping Center, located at 1322 S. Main Street in Blacksburg. Tenenants included Leggett's, Mick or Mack, Sears, A&P, Gables Pharmacy, T,G,&Y, High's Ice Cream, First Virginia Bank, Firestone, and Sherwin Williams Paints.
The construction of a "new" Federal post office on Main Street was a saga of many years. Land purchased by the government in 1917 went undeveloped until 1922 when construction finally commenced. The post office officially opened in June of 1923.
While termed “First” church here, the sanctuary is known as home to the Salem Presbyterian Church located on Main Street. Salem Presbyterian was organized in 1831 and dedicated this sanctuary in 1852. Additions were made in 1914 and 1958.
Prominent on the left is a sign for W.B. Dillard Drug Co., Prescription Druggists, Soda and Mineral Waters. Watts Dillard was a prominent Salem business man involved in numerous civic projects. His drugstore, at the corner of Main and College, got…