Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (9 total)

FE080 Poages Mill.jpg
Close-up view of Poage's Mill waterwheel on Back Creek.

BM359.jpg
Mormon Church Group at Back Creek.

BM264.jpg
Erecting telephone poles and wire in Back Creek area.

BM174.jpg
James C. Fralin being baptized in Back Creek at Poages Mill in 1925 by Chris Eller, Brethren minister.

BM039.jpg
Aunt Nadine Henderson takes nephews and nieces for an afternoon ride in Back Creek. Standing L to R: Bobby, Nadine, David and Charles Ed Henderson; On horse L to R: Paige Riley, Ray Henderson Corky, Barbara & Kay Henderson, Brent Riley.

BM024.jpg
Mountain burial in family cemetery, probably Martin-Simpson cemetery near Martins Creek Road in Southwest Roanoke County.

Davis 11.28 Back Creek School.jpg
The original Back Creek School, located just off of Route 221, was used until the current Back Creek Elementary was constructed in 1937.

Davis 41.211 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.21 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2