Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (37 total)

MP 24.5 Mt. Pleasant School.jpg
Unidentified students in front of Mt. Pleasant School in Roanoke County.

Davis 14.95 Coyner Springs.jpg
A partial view of one of the wards in Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.94 Coyner Springs.jpg
View of main corridor on lower floor of Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.92 Coyner Springs.jpg
Side view of Coyner Springs Sanatorium showing courtyard and "colored" entrance.

Davis 14.91 Coyner Springs.jpg
View of front of Coyner Springs Sanatorium, built in 1939 as a tuberculosis sanatorium on the former grounds of Coyner Springs Resort.

Davis 14.9 Coyner Springs.jpg
Front view of center section, showing entrance and offices on lower floor and nurses' quarters on second floor of Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis2 47.751 Webster Brick.jpg
Webster Brick (now General Shale), located at 2351 Webster Road.

MP 24.4 Narrows School.jpg
Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hubert Brillhart, Kyle Shelor, Clovis Garman, ? Bennett, ? Bennett, Edna Brillhart, Hazel…

Underwood 45 Carvins Cove.jpg
Aerial view of Falling Creek Reservoir.

UC 39 Normandy Knoll.jpg
Construction of Normandy Knoll Apartments located at 3513 Normandy Lane. These apartments were built on a former 9-hole golf course called Devil's Elbow.

UC 35 Windsor West.jpg
Entrance to the Windsor West neighborhood at the intersection of Grandin Road and Charing Cross Drive.

UC 34 Windsor West.jpg
Sign at the entrance of the Windsor West neighborhood, located at the intersection of Grandin Road and Charing Cross Drive.

Davis2 45.64 ITT.jpg
ITT Exelis, located at 7635 Plantation Road.

Davis 68.21a Dixie Caverns.jpg
Entrance to Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.2182 Dixie Caverns.jpg
"The Musical Room" at Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.2181 Dixie Caverns.jpg
An interior view of Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.218 Dixie Caverns.jpg
The "Magic Mirror" reflecting pool at Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.216 Dixie Caverns.jpg
Stalactite formation known as the "Cascades" at Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.215 Dixie Caverns.jpg
Stalactite formation known as the "Organ Screen" st Dixie Caverns

Davis 68.213b Dixie Caverns.jpg
Stalagmite formation known as "The Leaning Tower" at Dixie Caverns

Davis 68.212a Dixie Caverns.jpg
Flowstone formation known at the "Wedding Bell" at Dixie Caverns.

Davis 68.21 Dixie Caverns Sign.jpg
Billboard sign for Dixie Caverns.

Davis 67.5 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Exterior view from the golf course of the Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be…

Davis 41.211 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.21 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 31.11d Fort Greenridge.jpg
An unidentified boy measures the logs of Fort Greenridge. Fort Greenridge was located on the west branch of Carvins Creek near Kingstown. In addition to Fort Greenridge, the structure was also called Garst's Fort and Schwarz's Fort as it was owned…

Davis 31.11c Fort Greenridge.jpg
Fort Greenridge was located on the west branch of Carvins Creek near Kingstown. In addition to Fort Greenridge, the structure was also called Garst's Fort and Schwarz's Fort as it was owned by Frederick Garst and Chris Schwarz. Fort Greenridge was…

Davis 31.11b Fort Green Ridge.jpg
Fireplace located inside Fort Greenridge. Fort Greenridge was located on the west branch of Carvins Creek near Kingstown. In addition to Fort Greenridge, the structure was also called Garst's Fort and Schwarz's Fort as it was owned by Frederick…

Davis 24.01 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
Remaining walls of St. John's Episcopal Church. St. John's was the first Episcopal in the Old Lick area of Roanoke County. The cabin in the background once belonged to Bernie Rideout Holland, a former slave of General Edward Watts. Built in 1850,…

Davis 18.51d CC Water Treatment Facility.jpg
Carvins Cove Water Treatment Facility.

RNC 85 Tinker Mountain.jpg
A view of Tinker Mountain.

RNC 148 Carvins Cove Dam.jpg
Carvins Cove Dam Shortly after completion. The reservoir would not be complete until the 1940s.

RNC 147 Carvins Cove Dam.jpg
Carvins Cove Dam Shortly after completion. The reservoir would not be complete until the 1940s.

RNC 38 Carvins Cove Dam.jpg
Carvins Cove Dam shortly after completion. The reservoir would not be complete until the 1940s.

RNC 37 Carvins Cove Dam.jpg
Carvins Cove Dam shortly after completion. The reservoir would not be complete until the 1940s.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2