Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (136 total)

FE291 School Administration.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE287 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE257 Lee Junior High.jpg
Lee Junior High School was built in 1912 at the intersection of Franklin Road and 2nd Street SW. It was razed in 1973 to clear the site for construction of the Richard H. Poff Federal Building.

FE175 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE151 Wasena Elementary.jpg
Wasena Elementary School is located at 1125 Sherwood Avenue SW.

FE150 Jefferson High.jpg
Originally constructed in 1922, Jefferson High School was Roanoke's largest high school for half a century.

FE140 Stonewall Jackson Middle.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School located at 1004 Montrose Avenue SE. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

FE139 Lucy Addison High.jpg
Lucy Addison High School opened in 1928. Located at 40 Douglass Avenue NW, the building now houses Roanoke City Public Schools Administrative Offices.

FE138 Jamison School.jpg
Jamison Elementary School was located on the southwest corner of Jamison Avenue and 14th Street SE. The school was built in 1916 and razed in 1975.

FE137 Stonewall Jackson Middle.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School located at 1004 Montrose Avenue SE shortly after completion. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

FE136 Morningside Elementary.jpg
Morningside Elementary School, located at 1716 Wilson Street SE.

FE126 Harrison School.jpg
The Harrison School was completed in 1916. Two years later, the first high school classes for African American students began at Harrison School. Three students graduated in 1924, due largely to the persistence of Harrison's principal, Lucy…

FE124 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

FE121 Belmont Elementary.jpg
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

FE075 Alleghany Institute Students.jpg
Group portrait of students and faculty of the Alleghany Institute. Front row, left ot right: Ott Coleman, Jack Airheart, William ?; back row, left to right: B.S. Brooke, Eugene Turner, Ernest B. Fishburn, Billy Malone, D. Thomas Taylor, Romeo…

FE073 Jefferson High School.jpg
Jefferson High School

FE012 Alleghany Institute Students.jpg
Group portrait of Alleghany Institute students. Individuals unidentifed.

TNC 60.4 Blacksburg High.jpg
The old Blacksburg High School, later old Blacksburg Middle School, was located in the 500 block of S. Main Street in Blacksburg. The middle school closed in 2002 after completion of the new midle school on Prices Fork Road. The building was razed…

FC014.jpg
Willis High School. The agricultural building is at right.

FC013.jpg
Mountain Normal School students posing in front of the dormitory building.

FC010.jpg
Willis Elementary School.

FC008.jpg
Willis High School after the addition was completed.

FC007.jpg
Willis High School shortly after opening.

FC005.jpg
The cornerstone of Willis High School.

FC004.jpg
Willis High School under construction.

FC003.jpg
The long abandoned old Mountain Normal School at Willis in Floyd County, VA. The Normal School opened in 1893.

FC002.jpg
Mountain Normal School dormitory at Willis in Floyd County, VA.

FC001.jpg
Willis High School in Floyd County, VA. The school closed after the 1961-62 school year.

sr126.jpg
– The George Washington Carver School was opened in the fall of 1940. The construction cost was $125,000. This new school was in response to the deterioration of the Water Street school

sr125.jpg
– The “Graded School A” was erected on Water Street as a six-room frame school in 1890-91 (the same year the Academy Street School opened for white students). By 1895, the school had an enrollment of 258 under the principal John…

sr123.jpg
The architectural drawing gracing this card was done by G.R. Ragan. The new high school, built on Broad Street, opened in 1912, relieving the overcrowded Academy Street school. Additions followed in 1920 and 1923, but the school was heavily damaged…

sr122.jpg
What is now known as the Academy Street School served Salem’s students for many years. The building on the right was constructed in 1890 with an addition (left) coming in 1895. The original portion served the lower grades and the addition became…

BM349.jpg
Starkey School

BM345.jpg
Grisso-Gates School building, located on property of 5321 S. Roselawn Road in Cave Spring.

BM324.jpg
“Old” Bent Mountain School.

BM269.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School

BM268.jpg
Bent Mountain Elementary School

BM017.jpg
Students at Back Creek School.

BM011.jpg
School – probably the old log school house first used for Haran School before larger facility was built.

BM006.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM005.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM004.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM003.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM221.jpg
Present-day residence that was the former Haran School, located at 7910 Bent Mountain Road.

BM179.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM178.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM125.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School.

BM044.jpg
Students in front of Back Creek School.

BM043.jpg
Students in front of Back Creek School.

BM042.jpg
Back Creek School.

BM041.jpg
Back Creek School with "new" addition.

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

PC 139.18d Salem High School.jpg
"High School, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.1 Andrew Lewis.jpg
"Andrew Lewis High School, Salem, Virginia"

PC 132.1113 GW Carver.jpg
"Carver School, Salem. Roanoke County consolidated high school for negroes."

PC 132.1111 Andrew Lewis.jpg
"Andrew Lewis High School, Salem"

PC 127.2.1 Jefferson High School.jpg
"Jefferson High School, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 127.2 Jefferson High School.jpg
"Jefferson High School, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 127.1 Commerce Street School.jpg
"Commerce Street Graded School, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 127.0 Roanoke High School.jpg
"High School, Roanoke Virginia."

PC 112.0 Lee Junior High.jpg
" New grammar school, Roanoke, Virginia."

GB069 Harrison School Faculty 1948-1950.jpg
Harrison School Faculty 1948/1950.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually expanding the curriculum…

GB068 Harrison School; Mr. Thomas Payne's First Class.jpg
Mr. Thomas Payne's first class.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually expanding the curriculum to…

GB067.6 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067.5 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067.4 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067.3 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067.2 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067.1 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

GB067 Harrison School.jpg
Students playing on the basketball court at Harrison School.

Harrison School was built in 1916 for the cost of $31,818 and opened in the winter of 1917. Lucy Addison served as the school’s first principal. Addison was responsible for gradually…

Davis 11.28 Back Creek School.jpg
The original Back Creek School, located just off of Route 221, was used until the current Back Creek Elementary was constructed in 1937.

Davis 11.73 Oakland Elementary.jpg
Oakland Elementary School, formerly located at 3229 Williamson Road NW. Oakland is now the Noel C. Taylor Learning Academy at Oakland.

Davis 11.22 Morningside Elementary.jpg
Morningside Elementary School, located at 1716 Wilson Street SE.

Davis 11.45 Woodrow Wilson Middle.jpg
Woodrow Wilson Middle School, located at 1813 Carter Road SW.

Davis 11.31 Norwich School.jpg
Norwich School opened in 1891 in the 2200 block of Roanoke Avenue SW. The school was closed in 1979.

Davis2 11.43 Monroe Junior High.jpg
Monroe Junior High School, formerly located at 1122 19th Street NW.

Davis2 11.651 Jefferson High.jpg
Jefferson High School.

Davis2 11.921 Lord Botetourt High.jpg
Lord Botetourt High School, located at 1435 Roanoke Road in Daleville.

Davis 11.9 Classroom.jpg
Typical classroom of an unknown Roanoke school.

Davis 11.8 Andrew Lewis High School.jpg
Andrew Lewis High School, (now Middle School) is located at 616 S. College Avenue in Salem.

Davis2 11.37 Lincoln Terrace.jpg
Lincoln Terrace Elementary School, located at 1802 Liberty Road NW.

Davis2 11.694 Greenvale School.jpg
The playground at Greenvale Nursery School, located at 627 Westwood Boulevard NW.

Davis2 11.693 Greenvale School.jpg
Children in the nursery of Greenvale School, located at 627 Westwood Boulevard Northwest.

Davis2 11.69 Greenvale School.jpg
Greenvale Nursery School., located at 627 Westwood Boulevard NW.

MP 24.4 Narrows School.jpg
Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Students in front of Narrows School in the Catawba Valley. 1st row, L to R: Hubert Brillhart, Kyle Shelor, Clovis Garman, ? Bennett, ? Bennett, Edna Brillhart, Hazel…

MP 24.2b Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.2a Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

MP 24.1 Shawsville School.jpg
Unidentified students and teachers in front of school in Shawsville in Montgomery County.

Underwood 36 Virginia College.jpg
Aerial view of Virginia College.

Davis GL 6 Highland Park School.jpg
View of Highland Park Elementary School, located at 1212 5th Street.

Davis 622 Commerce Street School.jpg
Students of Commerce Street School. Commerce Street School or First Ward School stood at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street (Commerce). The school was built in 1890 and razed in 1929 to make way for the post office.

Davis 58.1 First Ward School.jpg
Fourth grade class from First Ward or Commerce Street School.

Davis 44.718 Kroger Training School.jpg
Kroger training school, location unknown.

Tags: ,

Davis 25.12 Ryan Hall.jpg
Ryan Hall, the first school building for Roanoke Catholic. The building was razed in 1999.

Davis 11.8 South View Elementary School.jpg
Southview Elementary School, located on Peters Creek Road. The building is now used for Roanoke County administrative offices.

Davis 11.711 Preston Park Elementary.jpg
Preston Park Elementary

Davis 11.7 Patrick Henry High.jpg
Patrick Henry High School.

Davis 11.671 Roanoke Catholic School.jpg
Roanoke Catholic School.

Davis 11.67 Roanoke Catholic School.jpg
Roanoke Catholic School.

Davis 11.66-2 Patrick Henry High School.jpg
Patrick Henry High School under construction.

Davis 11.66 Patrick Henry High School.jpg
Patrick Henry High School under construction.

Davis 11.65 Jefferson High School.jpg
Jefferson High School from Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.62 Lucy Addison High.jpg
Lucy Addison High School, shortly after completion of the addition.

Davis 11.61 Lucy Addison.jpg
Lucy Addison High School after completion of the addition.

Davis 11.6 Lucy Addison High School.jpg
Lucy Addison High School shortly after construction

Davis 11.51 Stonewall Jackson Middle School.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School, located at 1004 Montrose Avenue. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

Davis 11.5 Stonewall Jackson Middle School.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School, located at 1004 Montrose Avenue. The school name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

Davis 11.4 Lee Junior High.jpg
Lee Junior High School, formerly located at Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis 11.363 Raleigh Court Elementary.jpg
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.362 Raleigh Court Elementary.jpg
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.361 Raleigh Court Elementary School.jpg
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.36 Raleigh Court Elementary School.jpg
Raleigh Court Elementary School

Davis 11.351 Hurt Park Elementary.jpg
Hurt Park Elementary, located at 1525 Salem Avenue.

Davis 11.35 Hurt Park Elementary School.jpg
Hurt Park Elementary School, located at 1525 Salem Avenue.

Davis 11.341 Westside Elementary.jpg
Westside Elementary School

Davis 11.34 Westside Elementary School.jpg
Westside Elementary School

Davis 11.331 Fairview Elementary.jpg
Fairview Elementary School

Davis 11.33 Fairview Elementary School.jpg
Fairview Elementary School

Davis 11.32 Monterey Elementary School.jpg
Monterey Elementary School

Davis 11.3 Pleasant View School.jpg
Pleasant View School, often called Moomaw School, which stood on Moomaw land on the corner of Cove and Hershberger Roads.

Davis 11.23 Gilmer School.jpg
Gilmer School once stood on Gilmer Avenue in the general area of the Roanoke Civic Center.

Davis 11.211 West End School.jpg
Rear of West End School, formerly located at 912 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 11.21 West End School.jpg
West End Elementary School, formerly located at 918 Campbell Avenue. In this photo, the school is nearing completion.

Davis 11.12 Belmont Elementary.jpg
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

Davis 11.1 Belmont Elementary.jpg
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

Davis 11.03 Virginia College.jpg
The Virginia College for Young Women under construction. The school was formerly located in the South Roanoke neighborhood at the end of Rosalind Avenue.

Davis 11.01 Class of Alleghany Institute.jpg
Class of the Alleghany Institute. Burrell Memorial Hospital took it over and built the hospital.

RNC 11 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was formerly located on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street where the Noel C. Taylor Municipal building stands today.

RNC 2 Highland Park School.jpg
Highland Park Elementary School, located at 1212 5th Street.

RNC 63 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 64 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 40 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2