Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (28 total)

RVNH40212.jpg
Aerial view of American Viscose.

RVNH4023.jpg
Hillcrest Hall was one of the dormitories for American Viscose employees.

RVNH4022.jpg
An unidentified woman in the reeling room at American Viscose.

RVNH4021.jpg
An unidentified man in the reeling room at American Viscose.

RVNH4020.jpg
An unidentified woman works with strands of silk at American Viscose.

FE269 Roanoke Knitting Mills.jpg
Roanoke Knitting Mills began operations in 1903 at 306 Elm Avenue SE. It closed by 1909.

FE080 Poages Mill.jpg
Close-up view of Poage's Mill waterwheel on Back Creek.

FE005 Carolina Cotton Mills.jpg
Carolina Cotton and Woolen Mills, formerly located at 505 6th Street SW.

sr050.jpg
Vinton Roller Mills, along Glade Creek, grew out of mills originally built by David Gish that pre-dated the Civil War. By the Twentieth Century, the remaining mill was owned and operated by James Bowie and produced three kinds of flour. By 1924,…

BM342.jpg
King Brothers’ saw mill, formerly located in the Bottom Creek area. The mill was powered by steam engine. Logs were hauled to the site by oxen and horses.

BM010.jpg
Mill wheel at Poage's Mill

PC 92.2 Ruins of Old Mill.jpg
This old mill was located on Carvins Creek and is just below where the current Carvins Cove reservoir dam is located.

Davis 47.231d Southern States.jpg
Southern States Cooperative Mills, located at 1003 Walnut Avenue.

Davis 47.231b Southern States.jpg
Southern States Cooperative Mills, located at 1003 Walnut Avenue.

Davis 47.231a Southern States.jpg
Southern States Cooperative Mills, located at 1003 Walnut Avenue.

Davis 41.251 Thrashers Mill.jpg
Thrasher's Mill, also known as Waskey's and Obenshain's Mill was built circa 1848, shortly after the establishment of the town of Jackson (now Springwood) in Botetourt County, The third story was removed in the 1920s. It is now used as a private…

MP 4.2 Mabry Mill.jpg
Mabry Mill was built by Edwin Boston Mabry. E.B. Mabry returned to Floyd County in 1903 and began the construction of the mill. It was first a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, then became a sawmill. By 1905 it was in operation as a gristmill. By…

Davis 47.31 Roanoke City Mills.jpg
Model Mill Company in Johnson City, Tennessee.

Davis 41.91 Stout's Mill.jpg
Stout's Mill in Gilmer County, West Virginia. Caption reads, "Down at Stout's Mill among the WV hills. Visit from the drop stitch exhibition - The Famous Rats"

Davis 41.41 Tinker Mill.jpg
Tinker Mill, also known as Nininger's Mill, was built circa 1847. Located on Route 674, Tinker Mill was converted into a restaurant in 1980. The structure is now a private residence.

Davis 41.3 McClanahans Mill Flume.jpg
Built in the 1750s, this flume and waterwheel were all that remained when this photo was taken sometime before 1890. The flume and waterwheel were demolished in 1890. This mill lended its name to Mill Mountain.

Davis 41.25 Thrasher's Mill.jpg
Thrasher's Mill, also known as Waskey's and Obenshain's Mill was built circa 1848, shortly after the establishment of the town of Jackson (now Springwood) in Botetourt County, The third story was removed in the 1920s. It is now used as a private…

Davis 41.24 Breckenridge Mill.jpg
Built for James Breckenridge in 1822, Breckenridge Mill is located at 867 Breckinridge Mill Road, 3 miles from Fincastle. The mill was added to the Virginia and National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It now houses apartments.

Davis 41.23 Cloverdale Mill.jpg
The Cloverdale Mill was one of about 30 mills operating in Botetourt County in the early 20th Century. Old ads suggest that the mill was in operation as early as 1814. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1968.

Davis 41.22 Kelser's Mill.jpg
Kesler's Mill

Davis 41.211 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.21 Poage's Mill.jpg
Poage's Mill was owned by Elijah Poage, a prominent Roanoke County mechanic, cabinet and coffin maker. This antebellum mill was constructed by Poage as a cornmeal and flour mill. It was later used as a circular sawmill, being one of the first in…

Davis 41.11 Mabry Mill.jpg
Mabry Mill was built by Edwin Boston Mabry (E.B. Mabry). E.B. Mabry returned to Floyd County in 1903 and began the construction of the mill. It was first a blacksmith and wheelwright shop, then became a sawmill. By 1905 it was in operation as a…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2