Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (18 total)

RNRV49.jpg
Ambulance in front of Burrell Memorial Hospital. Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany…

CS 054.5.jpg
Recognition ceremony at Burrell Hospital. Pictured: Dr. George Moore shaking Dr. Henry Penn's hand and Attorney Lawrence speaking at the podium

CS 054.1.jpg
Recognition ceremony at Burell Hospital.

FE188 Burrell Memorial.jpg
Roanoke's first African American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

Davis 14.12 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

PC 115.7 Burrell Memorial.jpg
"Burrell Memorial Hospital, founded in 1914 by Drs. L.C. Downing, J.B. Claytor, Sr., J.H. Roberts, W.S. Williman, and J.S. Cooper and named in honor of Dr. I.D. Burrell, Physicial-Pharmacist, was reconstructed in 1955 and is a voluntary,…

GB045 Dr. Elwood D. Downing.jpg
Dr. Ellwood Davis Downing was prominent dentist and civic leader. Downing was born September 9, 1891. He was the son of Rev. Lylburn L. Downing, pastor of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. Downing served as an officer in WWI and WWII and was an…

GB043 Dr. Ellwood D. Downing and Mrs. Downing.jpg
Dr. Ellwood Davis Downing was prominent dentist and civic leader. Downing was born September 9, 1891. He was the son of Rev. Lylburn L. Downing, pastor of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. Downing served as an officer in WWI and WWII and was an…

GB033 Dr. F. W. Claytor.jpg
Dr. Frank William Claytor was born April 8, 1913 in Roanoke, Virginia. He was the oldest son of Dr. John B. Claytor Sr. and Roberta M. Woodfin Claytor. After graduating from Knoxville College in 1933, Claytor earned his medical degree from Meharry…

GB032 Dr. J. B. Claytor.jpg
Dr. John B. Claytor Sr. was born April 2, 1878 in Floyd County, Virginia. In 1907 Claytor began a medical practice in Roanoke, Virginia. Claytor was a founder of Burrell Memorial Hospital and was Emeritus Chief of the hospital’s department of…

GB031 Dr. J. B. Claytor.jpg
Dr. John B. Claytor Sr. was born April 2, 1878 in Floyd County, Virginia. In 1907 Claytor began a medical practice in Roanoke, Virginia. Claytor was a founder of Burrell Memorial Hospital and was Emeritus Chief of the hospital’s department of…

GB030 Daisy Schley.jpg
Daisy Schley was a nurse at Burrell Memorial Hospital.

GB029 Lucy Addison.jpg
Lucy Addison was born enslaved in Fauquier County, Virginia on December 8, 1861. After graduating from the Quaker-run Institute for Colored Youth in Philadelphia in 1882 with a degree in teaching, Addison began her life-long career as an educator. …

GB012 Dr. J. H Roberts.jpg
Dr. James H. Roberts was a co-founder of Burrell Memorial Hospital, Magic City Medical Society, and the William A. Hunton YMCA.

GB009 Nursing Staff at Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
The nursing staff of Burrell Memorial Hospital at an unidentified function on the hospital's grounds.

GB006 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Unidentified function on the grounds of Burrell Memorial Hospital.

Davis 14.11 Burrell Hospital Staff.jpg
Doctor and nursing staff standing in front of first Burrell Memorial Hospital. This building is the former Alleghany Boys Institute. Burrell was the only African American hospital in Roanoke during segregation. Individuals unidentified.

Davis 14.1 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2