Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (105 total)

FE188 Burrell Memorial.jpg
Roanoke's first African American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

FE139 Lucy Addison High.jpg
Lucy Addison High School opened in 1928. Located at 40 Douglass Avenue NW, the building now houses Roanoke City Public Schools Administrative Offices.

FE126 Harrison School.jpg
The Harrison School was completed in 1916. Two years later, the first high school classes for African American students began at Harrison School. Three students graduated in 1924, due largely to the persistence of Harrison's principal, Lucy…

PS 260.1 Noland.jpg
Noland Company's former location at 1226 Centre Avenue, NW.

PS 260.0 Noland.jpg
Noland Company's former location at 1226 Centre Avenue, NW.

PS 74.0 Whitehead Plumbing.jpg
Employees of Whitehead Plumbing next to trucks at 1114 Moorman Avenue, NW.

PS 22.0 JW Burress.jpg
J.W. Burress Construction and Industrial Equipment, formerly located at 1701 Shenandoah Avenue, NW.

Davis 14.12 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

RREC8 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Golfers teeing off at Roanoke Country Club.

Davis2 49.22 Roanoke-Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke-Salem Plaza, formerly located at 4600 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 22.45 Pilgrim Holiness.jpg
Pilgrim Holiness Church, formerly located at 599 19th Street NW.

Davis 46.321 Peters Creek Esso.jpg
Peters Creek Esso Station, formerly located at 2700 Peters Creek Road NW.

Davis 65.511 Fire Station #5.jpg
Firemen of Fire Station #5. Station #5 opened in 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building still stands at 216 12th Street NW.

Davis 48j Kroger.jpg
Kroger formerly located at 604 11th Street NW.

Davis 22.32 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 22.3 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 21.55 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1020 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis2 19.11 YMCA.jpg
The Railroad Department YMCA, formerly located at 1201 Shenandoah Avenue NW.

Davis2 11.43 Monroe Junior High.jpg
Monroe Junior High School, formerly located at 1122 19th Street NW.

Davis2 47.76 Roanoke Electric Steel.jpg
An aerial view of Roanoke Electric Steel, formerly located at 20 30th Street NW.

Davis2 44.5h Goodwill Industries.jpg
Goodwill Industries workshop and storefront, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike NW.

Davis2 2.2491 Melrose Lodge.jpg
Exterior view of the former Melrose Lodge #139 of the Freemasons, formerly located at 21st Street and Carroll Avenue NW. The building is now part of Williams Memorial Baptist Church.

Davis2 36.2d Wilmont Farms.jpg
Safety patrol students from Fairview Elementary School on the corner of 36th Street NW and Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 36.2c Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking north on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood. Safety patrol students from Fairview Elementary School monitor traffic.

Davis2 36.2b Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking south on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 36.2a Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking north on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 21.554 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1026 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis2 21.553 Villa Heights Baptist.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1026 Lafayette Boulevard NW.

Davis2 11.37 Lincoln Terrace.jpg
Lincoln Terrace Elementary School, located at 1802 Liberty Road NW.

Davis2 48.94b Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.94a Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 49.125 WoolCo.jpg
WoolCo Department Store, formerly located at Crossroads Mall, 5002 Airport Road NW. Original anchor stores at Crossroads were J,C. Penney, Roses, Heironimus, Winn-Dixie, People's Drug, Other mall tenants included Fink's Jewelers, Smartwear Irving…

Davis2 49.123 Crossroads Mall.jpg
JC Penney at Crossroads Mall, formerly located at 5002 Airport Road NW.

Davis2 49.21 Lerner Shops.jpg
Lerner Shops at Roanoke-Salem Plaza, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 49.2 Roanoke-Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke-Salem Plaza storefronts, including People's Drug, Miller & Rhoads and Winn-Dixie, formerly located at 4600 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.84 Biff Burger.jpg
Order windows at Biff Burger, formerly located at 3323 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.82 Patty Wagon.jpg
Kenney's Patty Wagon Hamburgers, formerly located at 5320 Williamson Road NW.

Davis2 48.8 Mayfair Caterers.jpg
Mayfair Caterers and Restaurant, formerly located at 1602 Orange Avenue NW. Melrose Seventh Day Adventist Church visible in background.

Davis2 47.14 Warren Gilbert Photography.jpg
Warren Gilbert Photography, formerly located at 4311 Appleton Avenue NW.

Davis2 46.81 Chewning Garage.jpg
Chewning Garage and Body Shop, formerly located at 3034 Wentworth Avenue NW.

Davis2 11.694 Greenvale School.jpg
The playground at Greenvale Nursery School, located at 627 Westwood Boulevard NW.

Davis2 11.693 Greenvale School.jpg
Children in the nursery of Greenvale School, located at 627 Westwood Boulevard Northwest.

Davis2 11.69 Greenvale School.jpg
Greenvale Nursery School., located at 627 Westwood Boulevard NW.

MP 2.72 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.71 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.7 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis GL 92 Eleventh Street.jpg
Billboards lining Eleventh Street at Moorman Avenue intersection.

Davis GL 86 Washington Park.jpg
Washington Park, located at 1610 Burrell Street.

Davis GL 3 Melrose Park.jpg
View of people playing recreational games in Melrose Park.

Davis GL 242 Shaffers Crossing.jpg
North entrance to Shaffer's Crossing.

Davis GL 241 10th Street.jpg
A view of 10th Street NW at Williamson Road and the Oakland School.

Davis GL 12 Watts Springs.jpg
View of two men standing beside Watts Springs.

Davis GL 11 Staunton Avenue.jpg
View of Staunton Avenue near 24th Street.

Davis GL 105 Melrose Avenue.jpg
Melrose Avenue. Exact location unknown.

UC 62 Hundleys Market.jpg
Hundley's Market, formerly located at 3605 Shenandoah Avenue.

UC 50 Peters Realty.jpg
Peters Realty, formerly located at 623 Abney Road.

UC 41 Chewning Garage.jpg
Chewning Garage, formerly located at 3034 Wentworth Avenue.

CPC 48 10th Street.jpg
Looking north on 10th Street from Madison Avenue.

CPC 40 Wells Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Wells Avenue.

CPC 28 Wells Avenue.jpg
Jog at Wells Avenue NW.

CPC 20 Moorman Spring.jpg
Moorman Spring was located on the Captain Robert B. Mooman property roughly located at the intersection of Moorman Avenue and 10th Street.

CPC 100 Hanover Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Hanover Avenue from 10th Street.

Davis2 49.122 Crossroads Mall.jpg
An interior view of Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 46.61 Magic City Ford.jpg
Unidentified girl sits in toy Mustang at Magic City Ford.

Davis2 46.6 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford promotion.

Davis2 45.311 Bowman Bakery.jpg
Bowman Bakery, formerly located at 102 5th Street NW.

Davis2 44.5g Goodwill Industries.jpg
An interior view of Goodwill Industries, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis2 44.5f Goodwill Industries.jpg
An unidentified employee punches the time clock at Goodwill Industries.

Davis2 44.5e Goodwill Industries.jpg
Unidentified employees make repairs to donated clothing at the Goodwill Industries workshop, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis2 44.5d Goodwill Industries.jpg
Unidentified employees work in the Goodwill Industries workshop, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis2 44.5c Goodwill Industries.jpg
Unidentified employees work in the Goodwill Industries workshop, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis2 44.5a Goodwill Industries.jpg
Goodwill Industries workshop, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis 67.7 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
The terrace overlooking the golf course at Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be…

Davis 67.6 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Interior view of the Roanoke Country Club clubhouse, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be constructed at the…

Davis 67.5 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Exterior view from the golf course of the Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be…

Davis 67.4 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Exterior view of the Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be constructed at the current…

Davis 67.3 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Exterior view of the Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be constructed at the current…

Davis 67.1 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Roanoke Country Club as seen from the fairway. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be constructed at the current location; it was completed in 1924.

Davis 65.86 Steamer #2.jpg
Steamer #2 was purchased by Norfolk & Western and placed into service in September 1907. It is shown here stored at Station #9.

Davis 65.7 Fire Station #9.jpg
Fire Station #9 opened on 2 October 1929. It is located at 514 24th Street.

Davis 65.51 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 65.5 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 49.121 Crossroads Mall.jpg
Crossroads Mall, located at the intersection of Williamson Road and Hershberger Road. Built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed shopping center in Virginia.

Davis 49.12 Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior view of Crossroads Mall. When it was built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed mall in Virginia.

Davis 48g Kroger Distribution.jpg
Kroger Distribution Center. Offices and distribution center were located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48e Kroger Office.jpg
Kroger employees at the Kroger offices, formerly located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48d Kroger Office.jpg
Kroger employees at the Kroger offices, formerly located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48.611 Crobuks Drug Center.jpg
Sign for Crobuck's Drug Center, formerly located at 2310 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 48.42 Katz Food Co.jpg
Employees stand in front of Katz Food Company, formerly located at 1623 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 46.325 Peters Creek Esso.jpg
Peters Creek Esso Service Center was located at 2700 Peters Creek Road.

Davis 43.321d Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321c Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321b Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Night view of Mountain Trust Bank at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 30.1u Shaffers Crossing Roundhouse.jpg
This 115 foot roundhouse was constructed in sections by J.P. Pettyjohn and Company with the first 21 stalls on July 1, 1918. The first stalls and turntable were put into service on September 15, 1919. The turntable was erected by Norfolk and Western…

Davis 27.62 Melrose Avenue SDA Church.jpg
Melrose Avuenue Seventh Day Adventist Church, located at 1601 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 22.33 Melrose United Methodist.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue

Davis 21.552 Villa Heights Bible School.jpg
Group photo of Bible School attendees at Villa Heights Baptist Church.

Davis 21.551 Villa Heights Baptist Church.jpg
Villa Heights Baptist Church, formerly located at 1020 Lafayette Blvd. NW.

Davis 19b RRYMCA.jpg
A rear view of the Railroad YMCA, formerly located at 12th Street and Shenandoah Avenue. Razed in 1947.

Davis 19a RRYMCA.jpg
Railroad YMCA, formerly located at 12th Street and Shenandoah Avenue. Razed in 1947.

Davis 11.62 Lucy Addison High.jpg
Lucy Addison High School, shortly after completion of the addition.

Davis 11.351 Hurt Park Elementary.jpg
Hurt Park Elementary, located at 1525 Salem Avenue.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2