Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (68 total)

RNRV49.jpg
Ambulance in front of Burrell Memorial Hospital. Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany…

FE255 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

FE188 Burrell Memorial.jpg
Roanoke's first African American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

FE146 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Roanoke Hospital was built in 1893 with the aid of Norfolk & Western and the Roanoke Gas and Water Company. Carilion Roanoke Memorial now occupies the site of the old hospital.

FE072 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed. The two-story porches no longer exist…

FE055 Lewis-Gale.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

TNC 60.2 LGH Montgomery.jpg
Montgomery County Hospital, now LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, is located at 3700 S. Main Street, Blacksburg.

sr183.jpg
Sanatoriums were popular at the turn of the last century in the care and treatment of tuberculosis patients. Often doctors or others in the healthcare profession would establish homes and other institutions with such a purpose. Tuberculosis often…

sr174.jpg
The VA facility erected structures such as the nurses’ home to house medical staff. The first patients were admitted on April 23, 1935. Some of the patients, as a form of therapy, actually conducted farming operations on the grounds of the…

sr042.jpg
This view of the women’s quarters shows the west end of the lean-to with lounging room in the center. Catawba ceased accepting tuberculosis patients on January 1, 1972. When it did, records indicated that some 25,000 tuberculosis patients had…

sr041.jpg
Catawba Sanatorium developed its own nursing school to train healthcare professionals in the treatment of tuberculosis. Between 1912 and 1954, Catawba School of Nursing graduated 258 Certified Tuberculosis Nurses.

sr039.jpg
Catawba Sanatorium became in many ways a self-sustaining community. For many years, the sanatorium operated its own dairy farm. The number of patients and employees were such that the area soon had its own post office, school, chapel, and other…

sr038.jpg
By 1937, Catawba Sanatorium was serving some 340 patients and the grounds totaled over 1100 acres, almost double the acreage contained in the original purchase. The many pavilions, such as the one above, were named for Virginia governors.

sr037.jpg
When Catawba Sanatorium opened in 1909, it consisted of 42 beds located primarily in the old hotel that served the sulphur springs resort area. The sanatorium would expand in both buildings and number of patients significantly over the next few…

sr036.jpg
The Virginia Building of Catawba Sanatorium was constructed in 1913, four years after the Catawba Sanatorium opened. The original property for the sanatorium had been the Red Sulphur Springs.

city019.jpg
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue. It opened in March of 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. The hospital closed in 1934, and the building was converted into apartments.

city018.jpg
This card’s description reads, “One of the bedrooms of the Roanoke Sanitarium, Inc. – Institution for the treatment of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Drug and Alcohol Addictions.”

city006.jpg
Construction of Shenandoah Hospital commenced in 1912, opening the next year. The hospital was located on West Campbell Avenue between 7th and 8th Streets. Dr. J.H. Dunkley was president and assisted by Dr. Ira Huff, Dr. W.S. Slicer, Dr. J.T.…

PC 139.34 VA Hospital.jpg
" Sunrise scene, US Veterans Administration Facility, showing Buildings 1 and 2. Roanoke, Virginia, near Salem."

PC 139.33 VA Hospital.jpg
"Recreation building, Veterans Administration Hospital, near Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.32 VA Hospital.jpg
"Main Building, US Veterans Administration Hospital, Salem, Virginia, near Roanoke."

PC 139.31 VA Hospital.jpg
"Veterans Administration Hospital Roanoke-Salem, Virginia. In the foreground is the grandstand and patient recreational area. In the rear center is shown the general medical and surgical ward building and to the right, the administration building."

PC 139.3 VA Hospital.jpg
" Veterans Administration Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia near Salem."

PC 132.1110 VA Hospital.jpg
"Main building, US Veterans Administration Hospital, near Salem, Roanoke."

PC 119.83 Mill Mountain Incline.jpg
"Mill Mountain incline and Roanoke City Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.7 Burrell Memorial.jpg
"Burrell Memorial Hospital, founded in 1914 by Drs. L.C. Downing, J.B. Claytor, Sr., J.H. Roberts, W.S. Williman, and J.S. Cooper and named in honor of Dr. I.D. Burrell, Physicial-Pharmacist, was reconstructed in 1955 and is a voluntary,…

PC 115.6 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Belleview and Lake Avenues, SE, Roanoke, Virginia. Located at the base of Mill Mountain, this ultra-modern hospital has over 325 beds and serves Roanoke and Southwestern Virginia. It is also widely known for its…

PC 115.5 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"The new Roanoke Memorial Hospital is the most modern in Western Virginia. The cost was around three million dollars. This hospital provides 300 beds with modern operating rooms, laboratory and other hospital facilities."

PC 115.41 Lewis-Gale.jpg
"Lewis-Gale Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.4 Lewis-Gale.jpg
"Lewis-Gale Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.3 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
"Jefferson Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.21 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"Memorial and Crippled Children's Hospital by moonlight, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.2 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"Memorial Hospital and Crippled Children's Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.1.1 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"Roanoke City Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 115.1 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
"Roanoke City Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia."

IRB153 Coyner Springs.jpg
A two and one story part basement building of brick and frame construction with composition shingled roofm concrete floors with tile and wood surfacing, plastered interior finish,electric lighting, low pressure steam heat. Built in 1939 and in…

Davis 14.95 Coyner Springs.jpg
A partial view of one of the wards in Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.94 Coyner Springs.jpg
View of main corridor on lower floor of Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.92 Coyner Springs.jpg
Side view of Coyner Springs Sanatorium showing courtyard and "colored" entrance.

Davis 14.91 Coyner Springs.jpg
View of front of Coyner Springs Sanatorium, built in 1939 as a tuberculosis sanatorium on the former grounds of Coyner Springs Resort.

Davis 14.9 Coyner Springs.jpg
Front view of center section, showing entrance and offices on lower floor and nurses' quarters on second floor of Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.84 Catawba Sanatorium.jpg
The main hospital building at Catawba Sanatorium.

Davis 14.51 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Founded in 1899, Roanoke Hospital was the predecessor to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

Davis 14.47 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

Davis 14.34 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

Davis 14.01 St. Charles Hospital.jpg
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue SW. It was opened in 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. It closed in 1934. The building is now used as apartments.

Davis2 14.76 Roanoke Memorial Rehab.jpg
Roanoke Memorial Rehabilitation Center, located at 2017 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 14.75 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction.

Davis2 14.74 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Chemical Company visible at left.

Davis2 14.73 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hosptial during construction.

Davis2 14.72 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Engraving is visible on the left.

MP 4.5 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
Rear view of Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Davis GL 36 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Roanoke Hospital at the foot of Mill Mountain. The Mill Mountain incline can be seen to the right.

UC 16 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 14.83 Nurse's Room.jpg
Interior view of a typical room in the nurses' building at Catawba Sanatorium. The sanatorium was established in 1908 to quarantine and treat individuals with tuberculosis. Today, Catawba Hospital provides psychiatric and geriatric care.

Davis 14.81 Nurses' Building.jpg
Nurses' building at Catawba Sanatorium. The sanatorium was established in 1908 to quarantine and treat individuals with tuberculosis. Today, Catawba Hospital provides psychiatric and geriatric care.

Davis 14.7 Community Hospital.jpg
Aerial view of Community Hospital. Orchard Hill is in the background.

Davis 14.6 Gill Memorial.jpg
Gill Memorial Hospital was built in 1926. It was the first hospital in Virginia exclusively providing treatment for eye, ear, nose and throat conditions. It remained in independent operation until 1976, when it was acquired by Roanoke Memorial.

Davis 14.42 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of 2nd Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. The photo…

Davis 14.41 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of Second Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. This…

Davis 14.32 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, which was founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was a predecessor Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

Davis 14.21  Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.2 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.11 Burrell Hospital Staff.jpg
Doctor and nursing staff standing in front of first Burrell Memorial Hospital. This building is the former Alleghany Boys Institute. Burrell was the only African American hospital in Roanoke during segregation. Individuals unidentified.

Davis 14.1 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2