Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (72 total)

RNRV33.jpg
Crystal Spring reservoir and pump house. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

RNRV32.jpg
Shooting gallery, The Thriller rollercoaster, and bowling alley at Mountain Park.

RNRV22.jpg
Dance Pavilion and The Thriller rollercoaster in Mountain Park.

RNRV19.jpg
Popcorn stand at Mountain Park. Lillie Solleday on right.

RNRV18.jpg
Check Room and Snack Stand in Mountain Park.

FE292 Crystal Spring.jpg
A view of Crystal Spring Park, pump house, and reservoir. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

FE203 Virginia College.jpg
The Virginia College for Young Women was located in the South Roanoke neighborhood at the end of Rosalind Avenue. The college closed in 1933.

FE128 Sherwood Forest.jpg
Entrance to Sherwood Forest subdivision, located at Yellow Mountain Road and Nottingham Road.

PC 133.04 Virginia College.jpg
"The Virginia College, Roanoke,Virginia"

PC 133.03 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College (Young Ladies), Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.02 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.01 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.0 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 132.8 South Roanoke.jpg
"South Roanoke"

PC 120.2 Mountain Park.jpg
"Scenes at Mountain Park by night, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 120.14 Mountain Park.jpg
"Casino & fountain, Mill Mountain Park, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 120.13 Mountain Park.jpg
"Mountain Park"

PC 120.11 Mountain Park.jpg
"Mountain Park and Casino, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 120.1 Mountain Park.jpg
"Mountain Park and Casino, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 120.01 Mountain Park.jpg
"Mountain Park, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 120.0 Mountain Park.jpg
"Mountain, Park, Roanoke, Virginia."

IRB97 Pump Station.jpg
A one story brick building, composition roof, open interior finish, concrete and wood floors, electric lighting; fire resistive addition. Building in good condition. Occupancy: Steam reciprocating pumps and boilers. Valuation: The sound value of…

IRB44 Fire Station 8.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with slate roof, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plaster, concrete floors - wood surface on second floor. One stairs basement to…

Davis 23.41 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 65.64 Fire Station #8.jpg
Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Fire Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 65.6 Fire Station #8.jpg
Fireman of Firestation #8. Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 39 RMH Nurses Home.jpg
Roanoke Memorial Hospital nurses' home, formerly located in the 1600 block of Belleview Avenue SE.

Davis 14.51 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Founded in 1899, Roanoke Hospital was the predecessor to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

Davis2 14.76 Roanoke Memorial Rehab.jpg
Roanoke Memorial Rehabilitation Center, located at 2017 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 19.5 SR Apartment Village.jpg
South Roanoke Apartment Village, located at 3727 Parliament Road SW.

Davis2 48.6234 Garlands Medical Center.jpg
Garland's Medical Center, formerly located at 127 McClanahan Street SW.

RAC8 First Flight.jpg
The first flight of an aeroplane in the Roanoke Valley occurred at the Great Roanoke Fair, when aviator Eugene Ely flew his Curtiss Pusher biplane from a hill in South Roanoke. Ely flew across the Roanoke River and circled the fairgrounds, where he…

MP 9.21 Bride's House Sign.jpg
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 9.2 Bride's House Sign.jpg
Sign for The Bride's House, formerly located at 2223 Crystal Spring Avenue

MP 4.5 Roanoke Memorial.jpg
Rear view of Roanoke Memorial Hospital

MP 2.31 Victory Stadium.jpg
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

MP 2.3 Victory Stadium.jpg
An aerial view of Victory Stadium. Victory Stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

Underwood 7 Roanoke from Stone Mountain.jpg
Aerial view of Roanoke from Stone Mountain

Underwood 36 Virginia College.jpg
Aerial view of Virginia College.

Underwood 18 Mill Mountain.jpg
Aerial view of Mill Mountain, including the Mill Mountain Incline and Roanoke Hospital.

Davis GL 72 Fairacres.jpg
Fairacres, located at 2713 Avenham Avenue, was built in 1912 by W.C. Stephenson. It remained in the Stephenson Family until 1963, when it was purchased by the Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs. The club kept the home until 2003. It is now a private…

Davis GL 36 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Roanoke Hospital at the foot of Mill Mountain. The Mill Mountain incline can be seen to the right.

CPC 58 Crystal Spring.jpg
Houses along Richelieu Avenue in Crystal Spring.

CPC 36 Crystal Spring.jpg
Looking up Crystal Spring Avenue from roughly 23rd Street.

Davis2 39e 3358 Peakwood-2.jpg
Home located at 3358 Peakwood Drive.

Davis2 39d 3358 Peakwood-1 .jpg
Home located at 3358 Peakwood Drive.

Davis2 39c 3112 Somerset-2.jpg
Rear view of home located a 3112 Somerset Street.

Davis2 39b 3112 Somerset-1.jpg
Home located at 3112 Somerset Street.

Davis2 39a  3105 Somerset.jpg
Home located at 3105 Somerset Street.

Davis2 23.44 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 66.3a Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926

Davis 66.11 Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926.

Davis 65.63 Fire Station #8.jpg
Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Fire Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 6.32 Mill Mountain.jpg
Early view of Mill Mountain

Davis 6.31d Virginia College.jpg
Virginia College, formerly located at the end of Rosalind Avenue in South Roanoke.

Davis 6.31b Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Roanoke Country Club clubhouse and tennis courts, formerly located in South Roanoke.

Davis 6.31a South Roanoke.jpg
Early views of South Roanoke

Davis 56.421 Firemen's Convention.jpg
Firemen's convention at Mountain Park. Group stands on the steps of the casino.

Davis 43.81 Professional Building.jpg
Professional Building, formerly located on the corner of McClanahan Street & Crystal Spring Avenue.

Davis 31.45 McClanahan House.jpg
This house was built circa 1855 by Elijah McClanahan. Elijah was the son of William McClanahan who owned over 3,000 acres of land, including Crystal Spring and Mill Mountain. First Presbyterian Church was built on the site in 1929.

Davis 30.1s The Morris House.jpg
Built in 1963 by Jim Yeatts, the Morris House is located at 2831 Wilton Road.

Davis 30.1r Bungalow Style House.jpg
Located at 2607 Rosalind Avenue, this home was built in 1931 and is an example of Bungalow-Style architecture.

Davis 30.1p Colonial Revival House.jpg
Located at 101 27th Street SE in South Roanoke, this Colonial Revival-Style House was designed by architect Robert Allen.

Davis 30.1b Fishburn House.jpg
Located at 3542 Peakwood Drive, this home was constructed for Robert Fishburn in 1968. Its unique construction was meant to blend with its natural surroundings.

Davis 23.43 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 11.03 Virginia College.jpg
The Virginia College for Young Women under construction. The school was formerly located in the South Roanoke neighborhood at the end of Rosalind Avenue.

Davis 1.413 McClanahan's Mill.jpg
Built in the 1750s, this flume and waterwheel were all that remained when this photo was taken sometime before 1890. The flume and waterwheel were demolished in 1890. This mill lended its name to Mill Mountain.

Davis 1.41 Crystal Spring engraving.jpg
"Crystal Spring as it looked in the early days of Roanoke." Engraving of photo
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2