Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (75 total)

FE261 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

FE255 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

FE144 Highland Park Elementary.jpg
Built in 1920, Highland Park Elementary School is located at 1212 5th Street SW.

FE072 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed. The two-story porches no longer exist…

FE005 Carolina Cotton Mills.jpg
Carolina Cotton and Woolen Mills, formerly located at 505 6th Street SW.

TNC 63.0 WKT Law Office.jpg
Willett, Key, and Tatel Law Office, formerly located at 109 Highland Avenue, SW.

PS 110.10 HSMM.jpg
Hayes, Seay, Mattern, and Mattern architecural firm, formerly located at 1615 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 106.0 JH Rutherfoord Family.jpg
Julian H. Rutherfoord Family portrait in front of home located at 412 King George Avenue, SW.

PS 53.0 VEC.jpg
Virginia Employment Commission, formerly located at 1204 Franklin Road, SW.

city019.jpg
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue. It opened in March of 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. The hospital closed in 1934, and the building was converted into apartments.

Creasy1 1225 3rd Street.jpg
Home located at 1225 3rd Street SW.

IRB53 Bandstand .jpg
A one storage octagonal shaped open pavilion with wood shingle roof, wood floors. Valuation: The sound value of this building is approximately $500.

IRB52 Gish House .jpg
A two story frame clapboard building with composition shingle roof, wood floors with exception of basement which is concrete, plastered interior finish with exception of basement which is open finish, one stairs basement to first floor and one stairs…

IRB40 Fire Station 4.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

Davis 23.51 Second Presbyterian.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church, located at 214 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 23.52 Second Presbyterian.jpg
Second Presbyterian Church, located at 214 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 24.215 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Mural behind the pulpit of Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 24.2 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Christ Episcopal Church choir stands next to the church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 46.81 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Used cars on the lot of Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue SW.

Davis 46.811 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue SW.

Davis2 33.31 406 Day Avenue.jpg
Home located at 406 Day Avenue SW. This was the home of the photographer, George C. Davis.

Davis 27.631 Glad Tidings.jpg
Interior view of Glad Tidings Assembly of God, formerly located at 1217 Maple Avenue SW.

Davis 27.63 Glad Tidings.jpg
Glad Tidings Assembly of God, formerly located at 1217 Maple Avenue SW.

Davis 26.11 Beth Israel Group.jpg
Beth Israel clergy on the steps of the synagogue, located at 920 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 22.622 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.621 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.61 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 22.6 Trinity UMC.jpg
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis 14.34 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

Davis 14.01 St. Charles Hospital.jpg
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue SW. It was opened in 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. It closed in 1934. The building is now used as apartments.

Davis2 35.14b OSW Apartments.jpg
Apartments located at 217 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis2 35.12 OSW Apartments.jpg
Apartments located at 110 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis2 35.13 OSW Apartments.jpg
Apartments located at 201 Mountain Avenue SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-2.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-1.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

MP 8.0 Andrews-Pitzer-Butler.jpg
Drivers of Andrews-Pitzer-Butler Fuel Oil Corporation pose next to their trucks in Highland Park.

Underwood 16 Highland Park School.jpg
Aerial view of Highland Park Elementary School, known as Park Street School at the time of this photo.

Davis GL 90 Mountain Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Mountain Avenue at 4th Street intersection.

Davis GL 9 Scene in Highland Park.jpg
Scene in Highland Park.

Davis GL 68 Allison Avenue.jpg
A view of the 300 block of Allison Avenue.

Davis GL 6 Highland Park School.jpg
View of Highland Park Elementary School, located at 1212 5th Street.

Davis GL 44 Highland Park.jpg
Recreation in Highland Park

UC 75 Roanoke EMS.jpg
Roanoke Life Saving and First Aid Crew hall, located at 374 Day Avenue.

UC 24 Hospital Computer Service.jpg
Hospital Computer Service, formerly located at 1147 2nd Street.

CPC 65 Highland Park.jpg
Looking south from Highland Park.

CPC 6 Highland and Franklin.jpg
Jog intersection at Highland Avenue and Franklin Road. Beth Israel Synagogue visible.

CPC 4 Franklin and Mountain.jpg
Jog intersection at Franklin Road and Mountain Avenue.

CPC 3 Stone Home.jpg
The home of Edward L. Stone of Stone Printing and Manufacturing, formerly located at 210 Mountain Avenue.

Davis2 43.15 General Stone and Materials..jpg
General Stone and Materials Corporation, formerly located at 1401 Franklin Road.

Davis 88.8 Ku Klux Klan.jpg
Ku Klux Klan convention. Photograph taken in front of the Colonial Club, formerly located at 602 Day Avenue SW.

Davis 66.3a Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926

Davis 66.11 Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926.

Davis 65.4 Fire Station #4.jpg
Fire Station #4 opened on 5 September 1911. It was located at 323 Highland Avenue in Old Southwest. The station closed in 1965 and the building was purchased by Beth Israel Synagogue. The building was razed in 1967.

Davis 65 Warrenton  Fire Truck.jpg
A fire truck from Warrenton, Virginia on Washington Avenue in Old Southwest. The houses in the background are in the 500 block of Washington Avenue.

Davis 47.42 Crystal Spring Laundry.jpg
Crystal Spring Laundry, formerly located at 720 Franklin Road.

Davis 46.8 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue.

Davis 44.712 Kroger Store.jpg
Kroger store, formerly located on Franklin Road near 581 onramp.

Davis 35.11 OSW Apartments.jpg
This apartment building located at 701 3rd Street was one of the first totally electric apartment buildings in the city.

Davis 35.1 OSW Apartments.jpg
This apartment building located at 701 3rd Street was one of the first totally electric apartment buildings in the city.

Davis 30.1o Queen Anne Style House.jpg
Located at 414 Walnut Avenue, this home was built by J.H. Gibboney, a chemist at Norfolk & Western. One of many examples of the Queen Anne style of Architecture in the Roanoke Valley.

Davis 26.1 Beth Israel.jpg
The bimah in Beth Israel Synagogue.

Davis 26 Beth Israel.jpg
The sancutary of Beth Israel Synagogue.

Davis 24.214 Christ Episcopal.jpg
The sanctuary of Christ Episcopal Church located at 1101 Franklin Road

Davis 22.63 Trinity Methodist.jpg
Trinity Methodist Church located at 305 Mountain Avenue.

Davis 22.624c Trinity UMC Group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624b Trinity UMC Group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.624a Trinity Methodist group.jpg
Group photo of Trinity United Methodist parishioners.

Davis 22.623 Trinity Methodist.jpg
Trinity Methodist Church, located at 305 Mountain Avenue.

Davis 14.35 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital is structure on the left. It was located on Franklin Road; view looking at intersection with Walnut Avenue.

Davis 14.32 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, which was founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was a predecessor Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

Davis 1.253 Views NW corner of Day & 2nd SW.jpg
The northwest corner of 2nd Street and Day Avenue.

RNC 2 Highland Park School.jpg
Highland Park Elementary School, located at 1212 5th Street.

RNC 80 WWI Monument.jpg
This monument was erected in 1925 by the Margaret Lynn Lewis Chapter of the DAR to honor Roanoke soldiers who served in World War I. It is located in Argonne Circle on King George Avenue.

RNC 152 WWI Monument.jpg
This monument was erected in 1925 by the Margaret Lynn Lewis Chapter of the DAR to honor Roanoke soldiers who served in World War I. It is located in Argonne Circle on King George Avenue.

RNC 118 Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Mill Mountain from Old Southwest
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2