Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (127 total)

FE299 Buena Vista.jpg
Buena Vista was contructed by Colonel George P. Tayloe around 1840.

FE226 Maiden Lane.jpg
Looking west from the 1900 block of Maiden Lane. The neighborhood is still under development at the time of this photograph.

FE225b Maiden Lane.jpg
Looking east on the 2000 block of Maiden Lane SW. The neighborhood is still under development at the time this photograph was taken.

FE225a Westover Avenue.jpg
Looking east on the 2000 block of Westover Avenue SW. The neighborhood is still under development at the time of this photograph.

FE199 Terra Alta.jpg
"Terra Alta" located at 1348 Prospect Road SE.

FE159 Mountain View.jpg
Mountain View, a 40 room elegant turn-of-the-century mansion, was built in 1907 by Junius B. Fishburn. Mr. Fishburn donated Mountain View to the City in 1955 with the stipulation that it be used solely and exclusively for public recreation purposes.…

sr116.jpg
The Victorian mansion, known as “Longwood,” was built by Thomas Henry Cooper around 1904. Unfortunately, this majestic structure was destroyed by fire on November 19, 1968.

sr109.jpg
The impressive home of Salem lawyer Demetrius B. Strouse on Broad Street was built around the turn of the last century. Strouse was involved in numerous civic and religious projects in the Roanoke Valley.

sr108.jpg
The Ridgewood farm land is today a developed retail corridor, known as the Ridgewood Village Center. The center opened in 1985 with a variety of stores and restaurants. The home, shown here, remains.

sr107.jpg
Monterey was the pre-Civil War home of the Chapman family. In later years, the home at the corner of High and Clay served as a hotel, hosting visitors by providing a truly residential flavor.

sr106.jpg
James C. Langhorne was prominent in the formation of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, helped develop Lake Spring Park, served on the Salem Town Council, and operated several business enterprises.

sr054.jpg
This fine residence belonged to prominent businessman, J.C. Cook originally of Bonsack. Cook later moved to the Vinton area and owned the land on which the Vinton War Memorial was built.

BM190.jpg
Col. Holt’s store and house on Bent Mountain. Dr. Hurt’s car is parked in front.

BM352.jpg
Dr. Joseph Gale’s home in Cave Spring, later owned by Dr. White.

BM315.jpg
Preston Hartman home, Cave Spring.

BM313.jpg
“40 Acres” home postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM312.jpg
Roland Ferguson and family in front of their house. The house is located at 5109 Twelve O’Clock Knob Road.

BM304.jpg
House along Route 221, formerly across from Haran Baptist Church.The Stanley Family moved there in 1943. It was razed in late 1960s.

BM292.jpg
Aerial view of Reed’s Orchard, located at the intersection of Poor Mountain Road and Tinsley Lane. The house was built by the Woodrum Family, bought by Homer Reed in 1948 and closed as a commercial orchard in 1995.

BM289.jpg
Home of Elbe and Essie Reed, located behind Reed’s Store.

BM286.jpg
Harris homeplace along Route 221. It was razed when highway was widened.

BM270.jpg
Dr. Edward Tinsley ready to start rounds on horseback. His house is in background. Tinsley practiced from 1890 to 1940 in the Bent Mountain area.

BM245.jpg
House across road from Reed's Store on Route 221. The house was formerly the Haran School.

BM221.jpg
Present-day residence that was the former Haran School, located at 7910 Bent Mountain Road.

BM205.jpg
Hezekiah Lavinder (seated) and his family at their home (located at entrance to Bridlewood, home still standing) off of Route 221.

BM157.jpg
Charlie and Minnie Altis home, formerly located on road leading into Old Mill Plantation subdivision from Route 221.

BM148.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Clarence Altis (left) and Robert Carroll.

BM147.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Arlene Stanley on porch.

BM136.jpg
Beckner homeplace on Cotton Hill Road.

BM128.jpg
Turner home on Martins Creek Road in its final days.

BM094a.jpg
Home of Samuel Henry.

BM090.jpg
Poage home and farm along Route 221.

BM080.jpg
Olvin Martin home, built in 1877, was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM057.jpg
Former Elijah Poage store/warehouse on Old Mill Road in Poages Mill.

BM035.jpg
Fralin home on Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM032.jpg
Fralin home in Cave Spring.

Creasy9 Church and 5th.jpg
Home formerly located at 5th Street and Church Avenue.

Creasy1 1225 3rd Street.jpg
Home located at 1225 3rd Street SW.

PC 139.18m Langhorne Home.jpg
"Langhorne Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18k McVitty Home.jpg
"McVitty Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18g Fort Lewis.jpg
"Poff Home, Salem, Virginia" Better known as Fort Lewis Mansion.

PC 139.19a Longwood.jpg
"Cooper Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 132.1116 Longwood.jpg
"Longwood Salem Community Center, Salem"

Davis 30.2 2501 Inglewood Road.jpg
Home located at 2501 Inglewood Road SW.

Davis 31.6 Gale House.jpg
Home of Dr. Joseph Gale, formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis2 33.31 406 Day Avenue.jpg
Home located at 406 Day Avenue SW. This was the home of the photographer, George C. Davis.

Davis2 39 1847 Maiden Lane.jpg
Home located at 1847 Maiden Lane SW.

Davis2 39 3547 Kenwick Trail.jpg
Home located at 3547 Kenwick Trail SW.

Davis2 39 2434 Charing Cross.jpg
Home located at 2434 Charing Cross Drive.

Davis2 36.2d Wilmont Farms.jpg
Safety patrol students from Fairview Elementary School on the corner of 36th Street NW and Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 36.2c Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking north on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood. Safety patrol students from Fairview Elementary School monitor traffic.

Davis2 36.2b Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking south on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 36.2a Wilmont Farms.jpg
Looking north on 36th Street NW from Troutland Avenue in the Wilmont Farms neighborhood.

Davis2 36.1a Kimball Acres.jpg
Newly constructed homes along the 500 block of Moran Avenue in the Kimball Acres subdivision.

Davis2 36.1b Kimball Acres.jpg
Newly constructed homes along the 500 block of Moran Avenue in the Kimball Acres subdivision.

Davis2 36.1c Kimball Acres.jpg
Newly constructed homes along the 500 block of Moran Avenue in the Kimball Acres subdivision.

Davis2 39 337 Parkwood Avenue.jpg
Home located at 337 Parkwood Avenue in Salem.

UC115 3607 Bond Street.jpg
Home located at 3607 Bond Street in Cave Spring

UC114 3718 London Circle.jpg
Home located at 3718 London Circle in Cave Spring.

UC104 1843 Dorset Drive.jpg
Home located at 1843 Dorset Drive in Cave Spring.

UC95 1400 Gratton Street.jpg
Homes in the 1400 block of Gratton Street in Salem.

UC83 3459 Meadowlark Road.jpg
Home located at 3459 Meadowlark Road SW.

Davis2 39 11035 Stewartsville Road.jpg
Home located at 11035 Stewartsville Road.

Davis2 39 1802 Greenwood Road-2.jpg
Home located at 1802 Greenwood Road SW.

Davis2 39 1802 Greenwood Road-1.jpg
Home located at 1802 Greenwood Road SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-2.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-1.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 31.501 Mountain View.jpg
Mountain View, a 40 room elegant turn-of-the-century mansion, was built in 1907 by Junius B. Fishburn. Mr. Fishburn donated Mountain View to the City in 1955 with the stipulation that it be used solely and exclusively for public recreation purposes. …

Davis2 31.50 Mountain View.jpg
Mountain View, a 40 room elegant turn-of-the-century mansion, was built in 1907 by Junius B. Fishburn. Mr. Fishburn donated Mountain View to the City in 1955 with the stipulation that it be used solely and exclusively for public recreation purposes. …

MPO 34.0 Huntingdon.jpg
Huntingdon, located at 320 Huntington Boulevard, was built circa 1820 by Elisha Betts. The home underwent extensive renovations in the late 1980s and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. It now operates as a bed and…

MP 30.0 The Barrens.jpg
The Barrens was built between 1865 and 1870 by Dr. Francis and Letitia Watts Sorrel. The home was sold to PC Huff in 1900. It stood on the present site of Valley View Mall.

MP 28.1 Bryan Home.jpg
William Bryan's homestead at the Great Spring west of Salem was known as Bryan's On Roanoke, according to F.B. Kegley's Virginia Frontier. Photo depicts detail of stone chimney.

MP 16.0 Kenmore Plantation.jpg
Kenmore Plantation, the home of Fielding and Betty Washington Lewis. Betty was the sister of George Washington.

MP 4.0 Home on Franklin.jpg
Home formerly located on the southwest corner of Franklin Road and Broadway Avenue.

Davis GL 72 Fairacres.jpg
Fairacres, located at 2713 Avenham Avenue, was built in 1912 by W.C. Stephenson. It remained in the Stephenson Family until 1963, when it was purchased by the Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs. The club kept the home until 2003. It is now a private…

Davis GL 5 Montrose Avenue Jog End.jpg
View of the 600 block Montrose Avenue lined with houses.

Davis GL 49 Ninth Street.jpg
View of 9th Street from the intersection with Jamison Avenue.

Davis GL 31 Patterson Avenue.jpg
A view of Patterson Avenue.

Davis GL 25 Southeast.jpg
View of several homes in Southeast.

Davis GL 232 Northeast.jpg
Derelict home in Northeast. Exact location unknown.

Davis GL 22 Single Family Dwelling.jpg
View of a single family dwelling made of brick.

Tags:

Davis GL 18 Windsor Avenue.jpg
Windsor Avenue in Raleigh Court

Davis GL 16 Neighborhood.jpg
Though not in Roanoke, this Longview, Washington neighborhood scene was used as an example in John Nolen's plan for Roanoke.

Davis GL 11 Staunton Avenue.jpg
View of Staunton Avenue near 24th Street.

Davis GL 105 Melrose Avenue.jpg
Melrose Avenue. Exact location unknown.

Davis GL 104 Maiden Lane.jpg
Houses on Maiden Lane.

CPC 3 Stone Home.jpg
The home of Edward L. Stone of Stone Printing and Manufacturing, formerly located at 210 Mountain Avenue.

CPC 1 Goodwin Home.tif
Rose arbor on the porch of the Thompson Goodwin home, once located in Orchard Hill. Orchard Hill, also known as "Official Hill" was located in the area where Community Hospital stands today.

Davis2 39f 40 Sawyer Drive.jpg
House located at 40 Sawyer Drive in the West Club Forest subdivision in Salem.

Davis2 39e 3358 Peakwood-2.jpg
Home located at 3358 Peakwood Drive.

Davis2 39d 3358 Peakwood-1 .jpg
Home located at 3358 Peakwood Drive.

Davis2 39c 3112 Somerset-2.jpg
Rear view of home located a 3112 Somerset Street.

Davis2 39b 3112 Somerset-1.jpg
Home located at 3112 Somerset Street.

Davis2 39a  3105 Somerset.jpg
Home located at 3105 Somerset Street.

Davis 47.21 Harris Hardwood.jpg
Aerial view of Harris Hardwood Company, formerly located in the Norwich neighborhood.

Davis 4.712 Glen Cove.jpg
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 4.711 Glen Cove.jpg
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 4.71 Glen Cove.jpg
View of Glen Cove subdivision

Davis 33.1 3rd Street Home.jpg
House located near the intersection of Luck Avenue and 3rd Street. The fire escape on the left is that of the old Lewis-Gale Hospital which stood on the corner. Both the house and the hospital have long been gone.

Davis 31.45 McClanahan House.jpg
This house was built circa 1855 by Elijah McClanahan. Elijah was the son of William McClanahan who owned over 3,000 acres of land, including Crystal Spring and Mill Mountain. First Presbyterian Church was built on the site in 1929.

Davis 31.44 Howbert House.jpg
The Howbert house and farm was built by George Howbert circa 1900. Howbert sold the house and farm to the Wasena Land Company in 1910 for development as a suburb of Roanoke. The house still stands at 918 Howbert Avenue.

Davis 31.43 Magnolia.jpg
Magnolia was located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road,. Built in 1837 by Zachariah Robinson as a tavern, Magnolia was a popular stop for stagecoach traffic until 1850 when rail became the primary means of long distance travel. Dr.…

Davis 31.41 Howbert Cabin.jpg
At the corner of Floyd Avenue and Main Street in Wasena stood this house, part of the Howbert Farm. It was rented for many years by the Custer Family, who posed on the porch for this photograph.

Davis 31.11a Fort Greenridge.jpg
Fort Greenridge was located on the west branch of Carvins Creek near Kingstown. In addition to Fort Greenridge, the structure was also called Garst's Fort and Schwarz's Fort as it was owned by Frederick Garst and Chris Schwarz. Fort Greenridge was…

Davis 31 J.N. Maxey Home.jpg
J.N. Maxey Home

Davis 30.1s The Morris House.jpg
Built in 1963 by Jim Yeatts, the Morris House is located at 2831 Wilton Road.

Davis 30.1r Bungalow Style House.jpg
Located at 2607 Rosalind Avenue, this home was built in 1931 and is an example of Bungalow-Style architecture.

Davis 30.1p Colonial Revival House.jpg
Located at 101 27th Street SE in South Roanoke, this Colonial Revival-Style House was designed by architect Robert Allen.

Davis 30.1o Queen Anne Style House.jpg
Located at 414 Walnut Avenue, this home was built by J.H. Gibboney, a chemist at Norfolk & Western. One of many examples of the Queen Anne style of Architecture in the Roanoke Valley.

Davis 30.1n Queen Anne Style House.jpg
Located at 103 Union Street, this home is reflective of the Queen Anne style. It was built in 1901 by M.G. McClung, an editor of the Salem Sentinel.

Davis 30.1m Gothic Revival Style House.jpg
This home was once located at 5415 Plantation Road. A casuality of urban sprawl, this home was an example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Davis 30.1l Evans House.jpg
Located at 213 N. Broad Street in Salem, the Evans house was built around 1882 by John M. Evans in the Second Empire style.

Davis 30.1k Row Houses.jpg
Row Houses like those pictured were an important part of Roanoke's architectural growth. The houses in this photo were once located on Rutherford Avenue Northeast.

Davis 30.1j Virginia Farm House.jpg
Formerly located at 2801 Brandon Place, this house was typical of Virginia Farm Houses of the 19th Century.

Davis 30.1i Pleasant Grove.jpg
Located at 4377 W. Main Street, Pleasant Grove was built in 1853 for Joseph Deyerle. This photo depicts a close-up of the front door of the Georgian style home.

Davis 30.1h Belle Air.jpg
Located at 3820 Belle Air Circle, Belle Aire was built around 1849 by Benjamin Deyerle for Madison Pitzer.

Davis 30.1g Monterey.jpg
Located at 110 High Street, Monterey was built around 1855 by Benjamin Deyerle. It is one of many houses built by Deyerle in the valley and reflects his Greek Revival architectural style.

Davis 30.1f Brown House Store.jpg
Located at 801 E. Main Street in Salem, Williams-Brown House-Store was built around 1845 by tradesman William Williams. The structure was used as both a home and a store. It is now the home of the Salem Museum and Historical Society.

Davis 30.1e Monterey.jpg
Located of of Tinker Creek Lane in Northeast, Monterey was built around 1845. The home is an example of Greek Revival architecture most commonly found in the Gulf Coast States.

Davis 30.1d Speedwell.jpg
Located at 6135 Merriman Road in Roanoke County, Speedwell was built around 1831 by Lewis Harvey. The house contains elements of Greek Revival style architecture.

Davis 30.1c Sun Valley.jpg
Located just off of Williamson Road, this photo depicts the Sun Valley subdivision where Tampa Drive intersects Orlando Avenue.

Davis 30.1b Fishburn House.jpg
Located at 3542 Peakwood Drive, this home was constructed for Robert Fishburn in 1968. Its unique construction was meant to blend with its natural surroundings.

Davis 30.1a Garst Log House.jpg
Once located just off of Garst MIll Road at the intersection of Grandin Road Extension, Garst Log Cabin is believed to be one of the earliest homes in the area. It was built around 1800.

Davis 15.121 Terry House.jpg
A view of the Terry House from the driveway on Jefferson Street. The Terry House would become Roanoke's first public library in 1921.

Davis 11.211 West End School.jpg
Rear of West End School, formerly located at 912 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 1.253 Views NW corner of Day & 2nd SW.jpg
The northwest corner of 2nd Street and Day Avenue.

RNC 101 Jefferson Street.jpg
Home formerly located at 815 S. Jefferson Street.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2