While termed “First” church here, the sanctuary is known as home to the Salem Presbyterian Church located on Main Street. Salem Presbyterian was organized in 1831 and dedicated this sanctuary in 1852. Additions were made in 1914 and 1958.
This house was built circa 1855 by Elijah McClanahan. Elijah was the son of William McClanahan who owned over 3,000 acres of land, including Crystal Spring and Mill Mountain. First Presbyterian Church was built on the site in 1929.