Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (689 total)

FE301 Market Square.jpg
In the days before trucks were ubiquitous, farmers brought their goods to the City Market in buckboards, carts, and Conestoga wagons.

FE298 Coulter Building.jpg
Built in 1926, the Coulter Building is located at 601 S. Jefferson Street.

FE296 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building and Market Square.

FE294 Shenandoah Building.jpg
The Shenandoah Building is located at 305 1st Street.

FE293 Jefferson Apartments.jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street. This view looks west on Mountain Avenue.

FE291 School Administration.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE290 City Hotel.jpg
City Hotel was built in 1886 on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Salem Avenue.

FE289 Medical Arts Building.jpg
Located at 30 Franklin Road, the Professional (or Medical) Arts Building was built in 1929.

FE288 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE287 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE285 Colonial Bank Building.jpg
Colonial National Bank building, located at 202 S. Jefferson Street.

FE284 Roanoke Lodge #197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road

FE283 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE281 Phelps & Armistead.jpg
Phelps & Armistead Furniture, formerly located at 312 2nd Street SW. The building would later be occupied by Grand Piano.

FE280 Hammond Printing.jpg
Hammond's Printing and Litho Works, formerly located on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Luck Avenue,

FE279 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE276 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building was built in 1915.

FE273 Market Building.jpg
The Market Building appears largely unchanged today from when it was built in 1922.

FE272 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE271 Roanoke Public Warehouse.jpg
Roanoke Public Warehouse was located at 403 Salem Avenue.

FE267 Williamson Building.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo it was occupied by the Sportsman, Deb Fashions, Thom McCann Shoes. The building was razed in 1977.

FE263 Day and Night Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, Day & Night Bank in this photograph and State & City Bank.

FE260 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the 300 block.

FE258 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from Salem Avenue.

FE214 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue.

FE211 Witten-Martin Furniture.jpg
Located at 213 1st Street SW, the Masonic temple was constructed in 1911. For many years, the first floor was occupied by various retail establishments, as evidenced in this photograph when Witten-Martin Furniture Company occupied the space.

FE201 State & City Building.jpg
State & City Building, located at 102 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE200 WDBJ Radio.jpg
Virginia's second commercial radio station, WDBJ-AM, had been broadcasting for twelve and a half years when it moved to its new quarters at 124 Kirk Avenue SW in January 1937.

FE198 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
The temporary quarters of Mountain Trust Bank, formerly located at 34 W. Church Avenue.

FE195 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Lyle's Drugstore occupied the right half of this building, located at 101 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE189 Fenton China.jpg
Fenton China and House Furniture, formerly located at 306 S. Jefferson Street.

FE185 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east from the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

FE182 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Colonial Bank building.

FE178 Elmwood Park.jpg
A scene in Elmwood Park.

FE175 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE147 State & City Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, State & City Bank in this photograph and Day & Night Bank.

FE142 Roanoke Printing Company.jpg
Roanoke Printing Company occupies the Bolling Building, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street SW.

FE124 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

FE123 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE117 Salvation Army Hotel.jpg
Salvation Army Hotel, formerly located at 201 2nd Street SW.

FE071 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE069 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE058 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Crowds gather along Campbell Avenue to watch the Armistice Day Parade.

FE057 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE056 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Colonial National Bank building.

FE055 Lewis-Gale.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

FE054 Dog Mouth Fountain.jpg
Th Dog Mouth Fountain stands on the northwest corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street. Legend has it that those who drink from the fountain will always return to Roanoke.

FE050 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel

FE049 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE048 FNEB.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building is located at 201 S. Jefferson Street.

FE047 Market Building.jpg
Roanoke's first Market Building. Built in 1886, it was replaced by the current Market Building in 1922.

FE045 Elmwood Pond.jpg
The pond once in Elmwood Park.

FE037 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street.

FE034 Horton Livery.jpg
Horton and Roberts Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (now 1st Street SW) just north of the northeast corner of Henry Street and Church Avenue.

FE033 Big Lick Livery.jpg
In 1898, the Big Lick Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (1st Street SW) just north of Roanoke's first federally funded post office (located on the NE corner of Henry (1st) Street and Church Avenue) which can be seen in the background. In 1890 this…

FE032 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

FE027 Title Guarantee.jpg
Title Guarantee Trust and Savings Bank, formerly located at 34 Church Avenue SW.

FE024 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. American Theatre on right.

FE023 Big Lick Hotel.jpg
Formerly located on the southwest corner of Williamson Road and Salem Avenue, the Big Lick Hotel would go through several iterations, including a portion of the Shenandoah Hotel, the Lee Hotel and Hotel Earle. The building was gutted by fire in 1991…

FE022 Church and Jefferson.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo, the building housed T.L. Deyerle Company. It would later be home to the Sportsman. The building was razed in…

FE017 Mountain Trust.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank was located in the Strickland Building at 302 S. Jefferson Street.

FE015 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building from 2nd Street.

FE014 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. The Rialto Theatre is visible at left.

FE013 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies. Tenants in this photo include A&P…

FE011 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies.

FE010 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue toward the Market Building from the roof of the Colonial American National Bank building.

FE009 Union Lunch.jpg
Union Lunch, formerly located in the area where the Market Building is today.

FE007 Armistice Day Parade.jpg
A contingent of veterans march in the Armistice Day Parade on Campbell Avenue.

FE006 JE Bernards.jpg
J.E. Bernard's Machine Shop, formerly located at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. Roanoke Automobile Company is located next door, specializing in the sale of Ramblers.

FE003 Grand Piano.jpg
Grand Piano Furniture was located at 312 2nd Street SW.

FE002 GW Sisler.jpg
G.W. Sisler Funeral Home, formerly located at 23 First (Salem) Avenue.

FE001 First Auto.jpg
Roanoke's first automobile parked in front of a bicycle shop at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. The first auto was believed to have been owned by T.T. Fishburn. In two years, in 1906, this building would become Roanoke Automobile Company selling Rambler…

TNC 61.0 YWCA Building.jpg
The former Roanoke YWCA building located at 605 1st Street, SW.

TNC 54.0 Dominion Tower.jpg
Dominion Tower construction shown from the roof of 213 S. Jefferson Street.

TNC 51.3 AEP Building.jpg
Construction of Appalachian Power building from Franklin Road, located at 606 1st Street, SW.

TNC 51.2 AEP Building.jpg
Construction of Appalachian Power building viewed from 1st Street, SW.

TNC 51.1 AEP Building.jpg
Appalachian Power, located at 606 1st Street, SW.

PS 283 Capitol Saloon.jpg
Unidentified men stand outside the Capitol Saloon once located at 23 Salem Avenue, SW.

PS 263.1 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 263 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 261.2 Davidsons Menswear.jpg
Window displays at Davidson's Menswear.

PS 261.1 Davidsons Menswear.jpg
Window displays at Davidson's Menswear.

PS 76.0 WP Swartz.jpg
W.P. Swartz & Company, formerly located at 421 Luck Avenue, SW.

PS 71.0 Propst-Childress.jpg
Propst-Childress Shoe Company window display. Store was located at 306 S. Jefferston Street.

PS 28.7 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of salon in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.5 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.4 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.3 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.2 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of men's department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 13.510 Poff Building.jpg
A newly completed Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.59 Poff Building.jpg
A newly completed Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.58 Poff Building.jpg
A newly completed Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.57 Poff Building.jpg
The entrance of a newly completed Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.31 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.24 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.21 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.12 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.10 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.8 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.6 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 13.2 Poff Building.jpg
Construction of Poff Federal Building, located at 210 Franklin Road, SW.

PS 6.1 Municipal Building.jpg
Noel C. Taylor Municipal Building, located at 215 Church Avenue.

SF001 Church Avenue Bus Depot copy.jpg
Bus depot, formerly located at 16 West Church Avenue.

SHH025.jpg
A crowd gathers in front of Heironimus on Campbell Avenue to watch the Roanoke Christmas parade.

SHH024.jpg
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH023.jpg
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

BM282.jpg
Hubert Harris on Salem Avenue in Downtown Roanoke.

LDW7 Loebl Fleet.jpg
Loebl Dye Works dry cleaning trucks parked in front of Loebl Dye Works on Salem Avenue.

LDW6 Loebl Fleet.jpg
A fleet of four Loebl Dye Works dry cleaning trucks parked in front of Loebl Dye Works on Salem Avenue.

LDW1 Loebl, Josef.jpg
Josef Loebl stands next to a Vorclone drying tumbler in Loebl Dye Works, formerly located at 350 Salem Avenue.

Davis 61.01 N&W Passenger Station.jpg
The Norfolk & Western Passenger Station was built in 1907. It is now home to the O. Winston Link Museum and History Museum of Western Virginia.

Davis 45.237 Sunlight Bakery .jpg
The Roanoke Sunlight Bakery was located at 501 Salem Avenue. The building was also used by Kroger Bakery. It is now used as a warehouse.

Davis 43.301 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building was built in 1912. Located at 204 Jefferson Street, it has been in continuous operation as a bank for over a century.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 24.02 St. Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church, located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue.

Davis 22.22 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 19.141 YWCA.jpg
The Young Women's Christian Association formed a Roanoke chapter in 1914. This building was built around 1930 at the 605 1st Street SW.

Davis 14.22 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 12.4 Commonwealth Building.jpg
Originally constructed as the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse in 1932, the Commonwealth Building is located at 220 Church Avenue.

Davis 2.163 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue near the Jefferson Street intersection. On the right is the First National Exchange Bank; visible on the left are Hanover Shoe, Virginia Dare Dresses and United Cigars.

Davis 2.28 Boxley Building.jpg
Still under construction in this photograph, the Boxley Building was built by W.W. Boxley, then mayor of Roanoke. The building is located at 416 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.27 Professional Arts Building.jpg
Constructed in 1929, the Professional Arts Building, formerly known as the Medical Arts Building, is located at 30 Franklin Road.

MP 4.423 1st Street.jpg
Looking south on 1st Street from the 1st Street Bridge. The bridge connected Henry Street to Downtown Roanoke. The bridge was renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 2003.

MP 4.422 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on busy Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Kress & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.421 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street during paving. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Krees & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

Creasy45 City Market.jpg
Mountain Top Orchards sells produce on the City Market,

Creasy44 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy43 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy42 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy40 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy39 City Market.jpg
An unidentified vendor prepares produce to sell on the City Market.

Creasy38 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy36 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy35 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy34 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy33 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy32 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy31 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy30 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market,.

Creasy29 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy28 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy27 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy26 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market

Creasy25 City Market.jpg
Crumpacker Orchards on the City Market.

Creasy24 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy20 Centennial Parade.jpg
Roanoke Transportation Museum float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy19 Centennial Parade.jpg
Marines reenact the raising of the American Flag at Iwo Jima in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy18 Centennial Parade.jpg
Replica 1892 Heironimus float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy17 Centennial Parade.jpg
Crowds line Jefferson Street for the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy12 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy11 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy10 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy9 Church and 5th.jpg
Home formerly located at 5th Street and Church Avenue.

Creasy8 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue at 2nd Street. The old YMCA building is seen on the left and Greene Memorial United Methodist on the right.

Creasy6 707 Building.jpg
The 707 Building, located at 707 S. Jefferson Street.

Creasy4 Texas Tavern.jpg
A Roanoke landmark, Texas Tavern is located at 114 Church Avenue SW.

PC 94.0 First National Bank.jpg
First National Bank building, Roanoke, Virginia.

Davis 16.9 Shenandoah Hotel.jpg
The Shenandoah Hotel opened on 5 November 1909. Originally consisting of two buildings, separated by an 8-foot alley, the Salem Avenue facing building seen here would later become the Hotel Lee followed by the Hotel Earle. The building was destroyed…

Davis 1.14 Mill Mountain.jpg
Looking southeast toward Mill Mountain from just across Day Avenue between First Street and Jefferson Street. The large multi-story building left of center was Jefferson Apartments. Nearly all of the buildings seen in the foreground have been…

Scyphers33 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Church Avenue intersection. Visible are The Sportsman Restaurant, Bernard's Menswear, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers25 Jefferson Street.jpg
A view of the Jefferson Theatre and Heironimus on Jefferson Street.

Scyphers19 View from Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Roanoke from Mill Mountain.

Tags: ,

Scyphers18 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Franklin Road. Visible are State Office Supply and Gifts, Hammond's Printing & Litho Works, Johnnie's Steakhouse, Jefferson Theatre, Heironimus, Sidney's and Thornton & Creasy Drugs.

Scyphers17 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street. Visible are State Office Supply and Gifts, Hammond's Printing & Litho Works, Johnnie's Steakhouse, Jefferson Theatre, Heironimus, Sidney's and Thornton & Creasy Drugs.

Scyphers16 Elmwood Park.jpg
The pond in Elmwood Park. The Greyhound Bus Station is visible in the background.

Scyphers15 Elmwood Park.jpg
A view of the pond in Elmwood Park. The Terry House is visible on the hill.

Scyphers14 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. Visible are Leggett's, George T. Hitch Jewelers, Singer Sewing Machines, Beckner's and Easter's.

Scyphers13 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from Franklin Road. Visible are John Norman Clothing, the Park Theatre, State Office Supplies and Gifts, the Coulter Building, People's Drugstore and the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Scyphers11 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
The Japanese Magnolia in Elmwood Park.

Scyphers9 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street. Visible are Heironimus, The Sportsman Restaurant, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers8 Franklin Road.jpg
Looking west on Franklin Road from Jefferson Street. Visible are the Knights of Pythias building, Star Barber Shop, Roanoke Valley Heart Association, GAC Finance, Riley's Cafe, Thornton & Creasy Drugs, and Holdren's

Scyphers7 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Church Avenue from Jefferson Street. Visible are the Sportsman Restaurant, Parker Photo Studio, Junior Achievement of the Roanoke Valley, Kaybee Store and Moskin's Store.

Scyphers6 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. Visible are Holiday's Shoe Store, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Thomas McAn Shoes, The Sportsman Restaurant and Heironimus.

Scyphers5 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Church Avenue intersection. Visible are The Sportsman Restaurant, Bernard's Menswear, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers4 1st Street.jpg
Looking south on 1st Street.

Scyphers3 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Franklin Road intersection. Visible at left is the Elks Lodge and the Elmwood Diner. Also visible is Hammond Printing and Litho Works.

Scyphers1 View from Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Roanoke from Mill Mountain.

IRB125 Main Library.jpg
"A two story and basement brick building with stucco finish, metal roof, wood floors, except basement, which is brick, plastered interior finish, electric lights, low pressure steam heat. Approximately 125 years old. Occupancy: Basement - Heating…

IRB51 Bandstand.jpg
A one story octagonal shaped open pavilion with wood shingle roof, wood floors. Valuation: The sound value of this building is approximately $4500.

IRB37 Fire Station1.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building, metal roof, concrete floors, with the exception of the second which is wood boards, open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster. One stairs basement to first…

IRB4 Mercantile Building.jpg
This is a one story brick building with metal roof, wood floors, plastered walls and metal ceiling, electric lights and cooking gas range. This building is approximately 30 years old and in fair condition. Occupancy: Restaurant. Valuation: The sound…

IRB3 Mercantile Building.jpg
This is a two story frame building with metal roof, wood floors, plastered interior finish, electric lights and coal stove hear. This building is approximately 50 years old an in fair condition. Occupancy: Offices, drugstore, dwelling. Valuation:…

IRB2 Municipal Annex.jpg
This is a two story building and basement brick building with metal roof, plank floors with the exception of the basement floor which is concrete, plastered interior finish and one open stairs from basement to second floor, electric lights and low…

IRB1 Municpal Building.jpg
This is a large five story building of fire resistive construction erected in 1916, having a built-up roof, concrete and terrazzo floors, and direct plaster interior finish. There are two open stairs from the first to the the third floor, one…

RREC9 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Campbell Avenue Intersection. The Didier Grocers building at right, in earlier days, housed the street railway offices and provided a waiting room for the cars. In the middle of Jefferson Street, a horsecar…

RREC4 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
A bird's-eye view of Downtown Roanoke at Jefferson Street looking toward Mill Mountain. The St. James Hotel is visible in the foreground. At right can be seen the Terry Building.

RREC2 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from the 1st Street intersection. S.H. Heironimus and Company visible at left. Its location was 37-39 Campbell.

RREC1 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Campbell Avenue intersection.

Davis 2.26 Anchor Building.jpg
The Anchor Building under construction. Built by Roanoke Gas Company, it was completed in 1910 and is located at the corner of 1st Street and Kirk Avenue. The building was used by Roanoke Gas until 1931 when Shenandoah Life Insurance Company…

Davis 31.6 Gale House.jpg
Home of Dr. Joseph Gale, formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis2 2.133 Hardy Shoes.jpg
Hardy Shoes for Men and Boys, formerly located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.13 Campbell and Jefferson.jpg
The Rosenberg Building, formerly located on the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street, was once the home of the Joy Shop, Barr Brothers Jewelers and Oak Hall Clothing.

Davis2 43.51 Williamson Building.jpg
The Williamson Building was located at the corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. The address of Graves-Humphreys Hardware was 311 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.13 Caldwell-Sites Company.jpg
Caldwell-Sites Company Booksellers, formerly located at 105 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.121 Jefferson and Franklin.jpg
View of the building on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road. Among the businesses occupying this area were the Jefferson Street Pharmacy, Morgan's Restaurant, Katheryne Marechal Beauty Salon, John Norman Tayloring and the Park Theatre. …

Davis 2.1313 Barr Brothers.jpg
Barr Brothers Jewelers, formerly located at 4 Campell Avenue SE.

Davis 24.18 St. John's Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 44.713 Kroger.jpg
Kroger, formerly located at 307 Market Street SE in the Wigmore Building.

Davis 1.321 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Looking north of Jefferson Street in the 900 block, Carlton Terrace is on the right.

Davis 1.32 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace apartment building, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.329 Heironimus.jpg
Heironimus and Company when located at 34-38 Campbell Avenue. The history of Heironimus downtown follows: Heironimus and Brugh Dry Goods started in 1890 at 110 Commerce Street and later 206 Commerce Street SW (2nd Street). A new building was…

Davis2 44.328 Joy Shop.jpg
The Joy Shop, formerly located at 27 W. Campbell Avenue. It would later move to the corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.327 Berts Shoes.jpg
Bert's Shoes, formerly located at 9 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.326 Taylor-Rutrough.jpg
Taylor-Rutrough Menswear, formerly located at 28 Church Avenue SW.

Davis 44.325 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, formerly located at 310 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.322 Leggetts.jpg
Leggetts decorated for Christmas, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.2299 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street SW.

Davis 44.2298 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Looking east at Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street SW.

Davis 43.311 Bank of Virginia.jpg
Construction of the Bank of Virginia, formerly located at 102 Church Avenue SW, is now First Citizens Bank.

Davis 27.11 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
First Church of Christ Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 23.11 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 22.21 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.2 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 29d Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 21.309 Calvary Baptist.jpg
The old Calvary Baptist Church, formerly located on Campbell Avenue between 5th Street and 6th Street. This building was used until completion of the current building in 1925.

Davis 21.212 First Baptist.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.215 First Baptist Church doors.jpg
First Baptist Church, located at 515 3rd Street SW.

Davis 21.209 First Baptist.jpg
The old First Baptist Church, formerly located on the site of the new building at 3rd Street and Luck Avenue SW.

Davis 16.4321 PH Dining.jpg
Interior view of the Terrace Dining Room inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.4311 PH Coffee Shop.jpg
Interior view of the coffee shop located inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.422 Patrick Henry.jpg
Close-up showing main entrance to the Patrick Henry Hotel on Jefferson Street.

Davis2 16.423 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Roanoke Public Library.

Davis 16.415 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 14.47 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

Davis2 7.22 Downtown Salem.jpg
A view of E. Main Street from the Market Street intersection in Downtown Salem.

Davis2 11.651 Jefferson High.jpg
Jefferson High School.

Davis 44.412 RT Building.jpg
The Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW. Although it has gone through changes over the years, the building is still used by the Times.

Davis 44.49 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.48 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.47 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.45 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.43 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.41 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.4 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 47.431 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Wet cleaning department at Loebl Dye Works. Men from left are: William Staples, Robert Loebl, Walter Morgenthau and unknown.

Davis 47.43 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Loebl Dye Works, formerly located at 348 Salem Avenue SW.

MP 57.0 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department in front of the Municipal Building.

MP 4.41 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Church Avenue intersection. Construction of the Liberty Trust Building can be seen in background. Sign advertises J.H. Marsteller's (a car enthusiast and businessman) "Model Garage", formerly located at 16…

MP 4.44 Salem Avenue.jpg
Looking west from the 100 block of Salem Avenue SE. A horse takes a drink from the Dog's Mouth Fountain, visible at right.

MP 4.45 Church Avenue.jpg
Boyd-Sweeney Company Hardware and National Business College, formerly located at 9-11 Church Avenue SW.

MP 38.02 Time Capsule.jpg
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary.

MP 38.01 Time Capsule.jpg
Contents are placed into the time capsule in front of the Main Library during the Diamond Jubilee Time Capsule Ceremony. The time capsule is not to be opened until 2032 for Roanoke's 150th Anniversary. Claude Settlemire, City Librarian, on left.

Davis2 48.39 Warehouse Row.jpg
Warehouses along the 100 block of Norfolk Avenue SW, including C.B. Halsey Company and Old Domion.

Davis 2.242 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis2.241 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 2.249 Pythian Building.jpg
Knights of Pythias, Oceola Number 47, located at 5 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 106 Golden Jubilee.jpg
Spectators gather in front of the Municipal Building on Campbell Avenue to watch the Golden Jubilee parade.

Davis2 35.3 Jefferson Apartments .jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.52 Winston Property.jpg
Winston Property Management, formerly located at 930 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 29c Calvary Baptist.jpg
Calvary Baptist Church, located at 608 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.127a AEP.jpg
Appalachian Power, located at 40 Franklin Road SW.

Davis2 19.1 YMCA Pool.jpg
View of the pool inside the old YMCA building, formerly located at 425 Church Avenue, now the Locker Room Lofts.

Davis2 45.9 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Main office of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW.

Davis2 45.91 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners.

Davis2 45.92 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners. Sign panels have been removed as the gas burners are being replaced with electric lights.

Davis2 75.83 JM Oakey.jpg
Hearse in front of John M. Oakey Funeral Home, formerly located at 126 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.773 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Merchandise inside Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 48.772 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 48.14 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Garst Brothers Dairy, formerly located at 1118 Salem Avenue SW.

Davis2 47.8c National Cash Register.jpg
Work stations inside National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8b National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8a National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street,

Davis2 46.91 Rutrough Motors.jpg
An unidentified customer and employee in the showroom of Rutrough Motors, formerly located at 335 Luck Avenue SW.

Davis2 46.9 Rutrough Motors.jpg
An unidentified customer and employees in front of Rutrough Motors, formerly located at 335 Luch Avenue SW.

Davis2 46.5 Moore Tire.jpg
Moore Tire Company, formerly located at 1860 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.7 Schulte United.jpg
Interior view of Schulte United Millinery, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 44.6 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of the children's department at Leggett's, formerly located 112 Campbell Avenue.

Davis2 44.4 Smartwear Irving-Saks.jpg
Window display at Smartwear Irving-Saks, formerly located at 210-212 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 43.862 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW

Davis2 43.861 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW. View is looking north.

Davis2 43.631 Motor Finance.tif
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.86a SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 43.63 Motor Finance Company.jpg
Motor Finance Company, formerly located at 428 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 43.8 Peoples Federal.jpg
People's Federal Savings and Loan, formerly located in the Liberty Trust Building at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis2 14.75 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction.

Davis2 14.74 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Chemical Company visible at left.

Davis2 14.73 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hosptial during construction.

Davis2 14.72 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Engraving is visible on the left.

Davis2 2.1116a East on Campbell.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.137b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts in the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 2.137a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Storefronts on the 10 block of Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis2 1.3 Grand Piano Billboard.jpg
Billboard advertisement for Grand Piano located at Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 1.13 State & City.jpg
The first 3 floors of the State & City Building were built in 1905 for the State & City Bank. The additional 5 floors were added in the late 1920s. In 2008, the State & City building became Roanoke's first LEED certified building in the city. It…

MPO 30.0 Roanoke Motor Car.jpg
Roanoke Motor Car Company, formerly located at 503 S. Jefferson Street. The company sold Chevrolets.

MP 31.5 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of a staircase from the mezzanine to the upper balcony and loges.

MP 31.4 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of the mezzanine.

MP 31.3 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows paintings in the foyer as seen from the mezzanine.

MP 31.2 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the ornately appointed foyer. The placard at left advertises the…

MP 31.1 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the loge, just above the orchestra pit.

MP 11.1 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 11.0 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 6.0 Heironimus Rendering.jpg
Artist rendering of Heironimus. Artist unknown. Location is 401 S, Jefferson Street.

MP 5.24 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
Advertising displays in the windows of WSLS Channel 10, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.21 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 5.2 WSLS Channel 10.jpg
WSLS Channel 10 News station, located at 401 3rd Street.

MP 4.9 Nobles Flowers.jpg
Nobel's Flowers, formerly located at 430 Church Avenue.

MP 4.7 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Superimposed image of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.4 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking west on Salem Avenue toward the intersection with Jefferson Street.

MP 4.1 Terry House.jpg
The Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park, was the first library in the city.

MP 3.9 Hotel Roanoke Garage.jpg
Garage under the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 3.21 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Interior view of Hallmark Hall of Cards, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson St.

MP 3.2 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Hallmark Hall of Cards store, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson Street.

MP 3.1 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 3.0 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 301 3rd Street.

MP 2.9 Roanoke Industrial Loan.jpg
Roanoke Industrial Loan and Thrift, formerly located at 20 Franklin Road.

MP 2.6 Franklin and Williamson.jpg
Looking south toward the intersection of Franklin Road and Williamson Road. The parking lots visible here became the Norfolk Southern building, Franklin Plaza, and a parking garage.

MP 2.5 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke. Civic Center and I581 can be seen to the right. First Baptist Church, destroyed by fire in 1995, and St. Andrews can be seen at left.

MP 2.1 Roanoke Aerial.jpg
An aerial view looking toward Mill Mountain. I581 can be seen under construction on the left .

Underwood 9 Downtown Looking Southeast.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Roanoke looking southeast

Underwood 6 N&W Shops.jpg
Aerial view of the Norfolk & Western Railway shops

Underwood 5 North on Jefferson.jpg
Aerial view looking north on Jefferson Street.

Underwood 4 East on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking east down Campbell Avenue

Underwood 3 Downtown Looking Southwest.jpg
Aerial view of downtown Roanoke looking southwest

Underwood 26 N&W Shops.jpg
Aerial view of the Norfolk & Western Railway shops

Underwood 2 Roanoke Looking West.jpg
Aerial view of Roanoke looking west

Underwood 11 West on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking west on Campbell Avenue

Underwood 10 East on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking east down Campbell Avenue

Davis GL 98 Pitzer Transfer.jpg
Pitzer Transfer Storage Warehouse, formerly located at the corner of Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis GL 94 Market Street.jpg
View of market with truck and people on Nelson Street

Davis GL 85 FNEB Detail.jpg
Stonework etched with First National Exchange Bank.

Davis GL 81 Schulte United Building.jpg
Campbell Avenue as seen from the Schulte United building, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 80 Giles Brothers Furniture.jpg
Giles Brothers Furniture, formerly located at 108 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 79 Jamison Bakery.jpg
Jamison Company Bakery, formerly located at 541 Salem Avenue.

Davis GL 7 Jefferson Street Looking North.jpg
Aerial view of Jefferson Street looking north.

Davis GL 69 Pond in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of pond in Elmwood Park .

Davis GL 64 Salem Avenue.jpg
Approximately 132 Salem Avenue.

Davis GL 55 Downtown Construction.jpg
View of men working on construction downtown. Totz Department Store can be seen in the background. Totz was located at 117-119 Salem Avenue SW.

Davis GL 48 Ponce de Leon.jpg
View of debris behind original Hotel Ponce de Leon.

Davis GL 43 Church Avenue.jpg
View of the intersection of Church Avenue and Second Street SW with the sign for the YMCA on the right.

Davis GL 42 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis GL 41 Ponce De Leon Hotel.jpg
View of the rear of the Hotel Ponce De Leon, with the remainder of a building's foundation visible in foreground.

Davis GL 40 Railway Station.jpg
View from Williamson Road of Virginia Railway Station. Jefferson Street bridge in background.

Davis GL 38 Public Library in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of the first Roanoke Public Library in Elmwood Park. The library was located in the Terry House, a gift to the city from the Terry Family.

Davis GL 37 Dog Mouth Fountain.jpg
Sketch of the Dog Mouth Fountain. The fountain was acquired by the city in 1898. It stands at the corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street.

Davis GL 34 Tennis Courts at Elmwood.jpg
The tennis courts once in Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 30 Campbell Avenue.jpg
View of West Campbell Avenue at 8th Street intersection, 1928.

Davis GL 269 Jefferson Street.jpg
Northwest corner at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 26 State and City Bank.jpg
Side view of State & City Bank, once located at approximately 206 Jefferson Street. This photo was taken after a building was razed.

Davis GL 23 Jefferson Street.jpg
View of advertisement signs hanging from the front of buildings along South Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 222 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
View of Patrick Henry Hotel from Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 21.1 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished with coat laying on ladder.

Davis GL 21 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished.

Davis GL 20 Salem Avenue.tif
View of Salem Avenue east from Second Street, SW. Buildings lines street with painted advertisements.

Davis GL 2.1 Scene in Elmwood Park.jpg
Scene in Elmwood Park viewing the rose garden.

Davis GL 2 Scene in Elmwood Park.jpg
Scene in Elmwood Park with a view of Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis GL 19 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 172 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
View of Hotel Patrick Henry from Elmwood Park

Davis GL 17 Unidentified Building.jpg
Unidentified building near downtown.

Tags:

Davis GL 14 Pond in Elmwood Park.jpg
View of pond in Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

Davis GL 110 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Various business signs along E. Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 108 Salem Avenue.jpg
Vacant store fronts in the 100 block of Salem Avenue.

UC 71 Thomas Rutherfoord.jpg
Thomas Rutherfoord Bonding and Insurance, located at 1 S. Jefferson Street.

UC 57 Loyd & Fralin.jpg
Loyd and Fralin Attorneys, formerly located at 301 Campbell Avenue.

UC 56 Kroger Bakery.jpg
Kroger Bakery, formerly located at 541 Salem Avenue.

UC 53 Kroger Bakery.jpg
Kroger Bakery, formerly located at 541 Salem Avenue.

UC 30 American Motor Inns.jpg
American Motor Inns, formerly located at 103 Campbell Avenue.

UC 22 Aerial of Downtown.jpg
Aerial view of Downtown Roanoke.

UC 21 Aerial of Downtown.jpg
Aerial view of Downtown Roanoke.

UC 16 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital as seen from Elmwood Park.

UC 15 Elmwood Park Pond.jpg
Unidentified nurses pose next the pond once located in Elmwood Park.

CPC 9e Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9d Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9c Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9b Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 9a Phillip Levy Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. The first fire occurred the previous year and only caused minor damage. This fire would prove more disastrous. Philip Levy Exchange Company was…

CPC 8 Campbell and Chapman.jpg
Point where Chapman Avenue forks off of Campbell Avenue

CPC 7e Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7d Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7c Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 64 Norfolk Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Norfolk Avenue.

CPC 62 Shenandoah Avenue.jpg
Shenandoah Avenue and Centre Avenue. Norfolk & Western General Offices visible in background.

CPC 57 Freight Truck.jpg
Southern States Motor Freight truck parked on the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

CPC 54 Elmwood Pond.jpg
Swans in the pond once located in Elmwood Park.

CPC 53 Terry House.jpg
Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park. The Terry House was gifted to the City of Roanoke in 1921 for use a library. It operated in this capacity until a new library was built in 1952.

CPC 52 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese Magnolia in Elmwood Park.

CPC 5 Church and 5th.jpg
Jog intersection at Church Avenue and 5th Street.

CPC 43 Elmwood Park.jpg
A view in Elmwood Park.

CPC 41 Rorer Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Rorer Avenue from 5th Street.

CPC 38 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 37 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 2 SW from YMCA.jpg
Looking southwest from the top of the YMCA building on 2nd Street. Lee Junior High School is visible in the left background.

Davis2 8.42 Lynchburg.jpg
A view of Downtown Lynchburg from Courthouse hill.

Davis2 8.41 Lynchburg.jpg
A view of Downtown Lynchburg from Courthouse hill.

Davis2 43.6 Paul C. Agee Insurance.jpg
Employees of Paul C. Agee Insurance Company in the office.

Davis2 43.214 N&W Offices.jpg
Railroad employees stand in front of the Norfolk & Western Office building formerly located on 5th Street.

Davis2 43.11 Shenandoah Building.jpg
The Shenandoah Building, located at 305 1st Street.

Davis2 27.55 Hott Bishop Memorial.jpg
Hott Bishop Memorial United Brethren Church, formerly located on Tazewell Avenue.

Davis2 13.13 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
The City of Roanoke's first courthouse and jail, formerly located at 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis 9.12 Auto parade.jpg
Roanoke's first auto parade on Campbell Ave. in front of present Municipal Building. United Commercial Travelers Grand Council parade. Ponce De Leon Hotel in right background.

Davis 65.941 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.94 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.938 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Store alarm was struck at 1:21pm on 31 August 1928. This photo was taken not long after the fire started. Both city ladder trucks were on the scene to combat the fire in the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.937 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.936 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Ladder trucks 1 and 2 were utilized to fight the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store, which was burning on the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.935 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Firemen attempt to extinguish the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.934 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue. Both city ladder trucks were utilized in an attempt to extinguish the fire, which was burning on the top…

Davis 65.933 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Even after the building's collapse, firemen continue to hose down the smoldering rubble that was once the Philip Levy Exchange Store.

Davis 65.932 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.931 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.93 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.921 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.92 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.91 Fire on Campbell.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel caught fire on 28 December 1928. All nine Roanoke engines and two ladder trucks were on the scene, including a hose truck from Vinton and an engine from Salem. The original 5 story portion of the hotel was destroyed and would…

Davis 65.31 Fire Station #3.jpg
Fire Station #3, located at 301 6th Street. Though the building still exists, it is not longer used as a fire station.

Davis 65.3 Fire Station #3.jpg
The building that housed Fire Station #3 still exists at 301 6th Street, but is now privately owned. Shown here at left is Engine #3, a Seagrave Brasshead next to Ladder #2, also a Seagrave.

Davis 65.12 Fire Station #1.jpg
Ladder #1 (left), a 1918 Seagrave, sits next to the Chief's car, a Hudson, and Engine #1 (right) at Fire Station #1. Fireman on Ladder #1, from L to R: Elsie J. Knowles, __Shillins, James E. Updike, Harry Grubb, Raymond N. Wills, Harry J. Daniels…

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

Davis 65.1 Firemen at Station #1.jpg
Fireman in front of Station #1 on Church Avenue. 1st row, L to R: William Sink, Fredrick W. Bladon, Chief James F. McFall, Stephen C. Snead and Cleveland Carper Meador. 2nd row, L to R: Walter H. Via, James W. Nichols, Robert M. Hancock, George W.…

Davis 65.022 Junior Hose Company #2.jpg
Members of the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 and the Junior Hose Company #2 stand in front of Vigilante Fire Station #1 shortly before escorting the body of Mayor William Carr to his burial in City Cemetery.

Davis 65.021 Vigilante Fire Station.jpg
Vigilante Fire Station #1 stood on the northeast corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Shown here shortly before completion in 1888, the fire station remained in use until 1907 when the "new" Station #1 was built on Church Avenue. Prior to the…

Davis 65.02 Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1.jpg
Firemen from the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 post in front of the original Fire Station #1 (formerly located at Campbell Avenue and 1st Street) prior to the funeral of Mayor William Carr. 1st row, L to R: Thomas Engleby, __ Harris, __ Shank, __…

Davis 65.012 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Roanoke firefighters line up for a Labor Day parade at the present corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. W.P. Mundy livery stable is in the background.

Davis 641 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department on the steps of the Municipal Building.

Davis 63.21 Street Car.jpg
Unidentified man stands next to a street car on Jefferson Street.

Davis 63.1 Greyhound Bus Depot.jpg
Roanoke Greyhound Bus Depot, formerly located at the corner of Williamson Road and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 622 Commerce Street School.jpg
Students of Commerce Street School. Commerce Street School or First Ward School stood at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street (Commerce). The school was built in 1890 and razed in 1929 to make way for the post office.

Davis 61d N&W General Offices.jpg
Original Norfolk & Western General Offices, formerly located at the corner of Jefferson Street and Shenandoah Avenue. The building was destroyed by fire on 4 January 1896.

Davis 619 Masons.jpg
Unidentified members of the Daniel Henry Carmines Memorial Class 32

Davis 615 Masons.jpg
Sparrell Simmons Gale Memorial Class 32

Davis 612 Masons.jpg
J.W. Keys Memorial Class 32

Davis 611 Masons.jpg
Clinchfield Class Scottish Rite Masons

Davis 610 Travelers Protective Association.jpg
Unidentified members of the Travelers Protective Association on the Virginia State Convention at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 609 Elks Convention.jpg
Unidentified members of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks during the Virginia State Convention on the steps of the Elks Lodge formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis 6.21 Roanoke 1882-1902.jpg

Davis 6.125 Elmwood Gazebo.jpg
View of gazebo in Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 6.124 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue, looking toward the SE corner of Elmwood Park.

Davis 6.123 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Intersection of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue, looking toward the SW corner of Elmwood Park. Terry House visible through the trees.

Davis 6.122 Terry House.jpg
View of the Terry House and Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 59.16 Ox Cart.jpg
Unidentified men on an ox cart. Hotel Roanoke visible in background.

Davis 58.1 First Ward School.jpg
Fourth grade class from First Ward or Commerce Street School.

Davis 56.9 Roanoke Police Department.jpg
Roanoke Police Department group photo taken in front of the original courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue.

Davis 56.823 Salvation Army Baseball Team.jpg
Salvation Army Baseball Team in front of the Salvation Army building, located at 821 Salem Avenue. Team members unidentified.

Davis 56.813 Greene Memorial Banner Class.jpg
Greene Memorial Methodist Church Banner Class on steps of Post Office.

Davis 56.6661 Viscose Life Saving Crew.jpg
American Viscose Life Saving Crew marches in a World War II victory parade.

Davis 56.3 RR Equipment Painters.jpg
Union of the Railroad Equipment Painters Numer 440 on the steps of the Elk's Club.

Davis 5.4 Franklin Road.jpg
An aerial view of Franklin Road at 1st and 2nd Street. The building in the upper right corner is Lee Junior High School, which was razed to build the Poff Federal Building.

Davis 5.12 Aerial View of Roanoke.jpg
Aerial View of Roanoke. I-581 construction underway. Interstate can be seen bisecting photograph.

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria.jpg
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…

Davis 48.5 Salem Saloon.jpg
Interior of an indentified saloon on Salem Avenue.

Davis 48.13 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Right side view of Garst Brothers Dairy with trucks lining the building

Davis 48.11 Garst Brothers Dairy.jpg
Garst Brothers Dairy, formerly located at 1118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.221c C.F. Fielder.jpg
Factory floor of C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221a C.F. Fielder.jpg
An office at C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.221 C.F. Fielder.jpg
C.L. Fielder Structural Steel, formerly located on Norfolk Avenue.

Davis 47.11 McKesson & Robbins.jpg
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 47.1 McKesson & Robbins.jpg
McKesson & Robbins Wholesale Druggist, formerly located at 365 Salem Avenue.

Davis 46.414i Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414h Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414g Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414f Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414e  Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414d Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414c Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414b Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414a Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.41 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company.jpg
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 46.221 Jarrett Chewning.jpg
Jarrett Chewing Co. Inc. - 360 Luck Ave. SW George Davis in hat & light overcoat, others unidentified

Davis 45.52 Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon.jpg
Levi Witt Carriage & Wagon Works, formerly located at 10 Kirk Avenue.

Davis 45 Roanoke Machine Works.jpg
Roanoke Machine Works was founded in 1881. By 1883, the Shenandoah Valley Railroad acquired the facility. Norfolk & Western acquired the facility in 1897. From then on, it became known as the N&W Roanoke Shops. It is still an active maintenance…

Davis 44.621c Graybar Electric.jpg
Sales counter at Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.621b Graybar Electric.jpg
Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue

Davis 44.621a Graybar Electric Employees.jpg
Employees of Graybar Electric Company, located at 1125 Salem Avenue.

Davis 44.341b Fisher's Supply Employees.jpg
Unidentified employees of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.341a Fisher Supply.jpg
The interior of Fisher Supply Company, formerly located at 411 1st Street.

Davis 44.321 W.T. Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company was located at 17-19 Campbell Avenue. The W.T. Grant Company was a variety store known for its inexpensive merchandise.

Davis 44.311 Morgan-Eubank Furniture.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.31 Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp.jpg
Morgan-Eubank Furniture Corp., formerly located at 14 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.2296 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Loading dock of Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc., looking north toward intersection of Luck Avenue & 1st Street. 1st Street can be seen in background.

Davis 44.2292 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc.

Davis 44.2291 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.228 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.226 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Unidentified personnel of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.2242 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
An interior view of Auto Spring & Bearing Company.

Davis 44.2241 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
The interior of Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.223 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. Shipping & Receiving Dept.

Davis 44.222 Auto Spring & Bearing Personnel.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing unidentified office personnel.

Davis 44.22 Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc..jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Co. Inc. , formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street.

Davis 44.21 Remington Rand.jpg
Remington Rand, formerly located at 502 Campbell Avenue.

Davis 44.16 Sunnyside Awning Co..jpg
Sunnyside Awning Company, formerly located at 621 1st Street.

Davis 44.12 ML Curley Confectionary.jpg
ML Curley Confectionery, formerly located at 23 Salem Avenue SE.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2