Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (115 total)

BM272.jpg
Enjoying a spin in a Metz car. L to R: Neva, Vera, Elba, Raymond, and Alton Reed.

Davis 46.81 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Used cars on the lot of Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue SW.

Davis 46.811 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue SW.

Davis 43.231 Antrim Motors.jpg
Antrim Motors, formerly located at 510 McClanahan Street SW.

Davis 46.21 Renick Motor Company.jpg
Renick Motor Company, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road SW.

Davis2 48.6236a Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Garland's Delivery Service drivers next to their vehicles on a snowy day.

Davis2 46.228 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
An unidentified employee stands next to a Mercedes on the sales lot of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.226 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.225 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Garage interior of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.224 Jarrett-Chewning.tif
Unidentified employees stand in front of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.223 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.222 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.62 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford, located at 809 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 46.9 Rutrough Motors.jpg
An unidentified customer and employees in front of Rutrough Motors, formerly located at 335 Luch Avenue SW.

MPO 30.0 Roanoke Motor Car.jpg
Roanoke Motor Car Company, formerly located at 503 S. Jefferson Street. The company sold Chevrolets.

MP 32.7 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 32.6 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes riddle the side of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The massacre…

MP 32.5 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes seen from the interior of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. The…

MP 32.4 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the wheel of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.3 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
Bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the Tennessee-Kentucky border. The…

MP 32.2 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 32.1 Fork Ridge Massacre.jpg
An unidentified man points to bullet holes in the windshield of a car involved in the Fork Ridge Mine shootout on 15 April 1941. The shootout was a result of a strike between mine workers and non-union mines operated in Mingo Hollow on the…

MP 3.9 Hotel Roanoke Garage.jpg
Garage under the Hotel Roanoke.

MP 2.8 Roanoke Valley Motors.jpg
Roanoke Valley Motors, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road.

MP 2.72 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.71 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.7 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 1.6 Fortune, George E.jpg
George Fortune poses next to a car. Location unknown.

Davis GL 81 Schulte United Building.jpg
Campbell Avenue as seen from the Schulte United building, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 41 Ponce De Leon Hotel.jpg
View of the rear of the Hotel Ponce De Leon, with the remainder of a building's foundation visible in foreground.

Davis GL 20 Salem Avenue.tif
View of Salem Avenue east from Second Street, SW. Buildings lines street with painted advertisements.

Davis GL 19 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

Davis2 46.6 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford promotion.

Davis 9.12 Auto parade.jpg
Roanoke's first auto parade on Campbell Ave. in front of present Municipal Building. United Commercial Travelers Grand Council parade. Ponce De Leon Hotel in right background.

Davis 8.1 Main Street Baptist Church.jpg
Main Street Baptist Church in Clifton Forge.

Davis 62.1631 William Stribling.jpg
William Stribling (1904-1933) was a professional heavyweight boxer from Georgia. Seen here at Roanoke Municipal Airfield, Stribling was also an avid and accomplished aviator.

Davis 62.161 Baltimore Airways.jpg
An unidentified couple poses next to a Baltimore Airways plane in front of the Cannaday Farm. The Cannaday Farm would become Roanoke Municipal Airfield, then in 1941 Woodrum Field. It is the current location of Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport. …

Davis 62 Izaak Walton League.jpg
Roanoke Chapter of the Izaak Walton League. George Davis is seen in the backseat of the car. The Izaak Walton League was formed in 1922 and is one of the Nation's oldest and most respected conservation organizations.

Davis 6.123 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Intersection of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue, looking toward the SW corner of Elmwood Park. Terry House visible through the trees.

Davis 55.72 Capture of Sidna Allen and Welsey Edwards.jpg
Capture and jail transport of Sidney Allen and Wesley Edwards. Both men were members of the infamous Allen clan that opened fire on the Carroll County Courthouse in 1912 and subsequently led Baldwin-Felts Detective Agents (of Roanoke, VA) on a…

Davis 49.473 Howard Johnson Restaurant.jpg
Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant, formerly located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 49.112 Towers Mall.jpg
Lower level of Towers Shopping Center.

Davis 48g Kroger Distribution.jpg
Kroger Distribution Center. Offices and distribution center were located at 2240 Shenandoah Avenue.

Davis 48.741 Little Chef.jpg
Little Chef Restaurant, formerly located at 1307 Williamson Road.

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria.jpg
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…

Davis 48.623 Garland's Drugstore.jpg
Garland's Drugstore, formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road.

Davis 48.622 Garland's Drugstore.jpg
Garland's Drugstore was formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road. This photo was taken just prior to opening day in 1953

Davis 46.8 Larry Dow Pontiac.jpg
Larry Dow Pontiac, formerly located at 425 Marshall Avenue.

Davis 46.414e  Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.332 Vance's Esso.jpg
Vance's Esso Service Center was located at 108 Commonwealth Avenue.

Davis 46.331 Vance's Esso.jpg
Vance's Esso Service Center was located at 108 Commonwealth Avenue.

Davis 46.26 Phillips Motor Company.jpg
Phillips Motor Company was located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 46.24b Valley Cadillac.jpg
Valley Cadillac - Oldsmobile Showroom, located at 2743 Franklin Road.

Davis 46.221 Jarrett Chewning.jpg
Jarrett Chewing Co. Inc. - 360 Luck Ave. SW George Davis in hat & light overcoat, others unidentified

Davis 46.212 Renick Motor Company.jpg
Renick Motor Company, formerly located at 2239 Franklin Road. Renick Motors was a used car dealership.

Davis 44.3 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Reid and Cutshall Furniture, formerly located at 309 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 44.2291 Auto Spring & Bearing.jpg
Auto Spring & Bearing Company, formerly located at the corner of Luck Avenue and 1st Street..

Davis 44.171 Thurman Property.jpg
Looking north at 401- 407 Jefferson Street. Herbert's Fine Feminine Footwear, Woolworth and Thurman & Boone occupied these storefronts.

Davis 44.17 Thurman Property.jpg
Thurman & Boone, formerly located at 401 Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.16 Sunnyside Awning Co..jpg
Sunnyside Awning Company, formerly located at 621 1st Street.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.321a Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank branch, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.232 Antrim Motors.jpg
Antrim Motors, formerly located at 510 McClanahan Street.

Davis 43.14 Coulter Building.jpg
The Coulter Building at 601-605 Jefferson Street. Built in 1926 and once the home of the Heironimus annex, this building now houses the Western Virginia Water Authority.

Davis 43.13 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building was located at 34 Campbell Avenue. Stone Smoke Shop sign visible in front of building. The building was razed in 1956.

Davis 43.1262  AEP Appliance Demonstration Van.jpg
A.P. Co. Appliance Demonstration Van with appliances displayed by attendant

Davis 43.1261 AEP Appliance Demonstration Van.jpg
Appalachian Electric Power demonstration van

Davis 43.126 AEP Appliance Demonstration Trailer.jpg
Appalachian Electric Power demonstration trailer for farm and home.

Davis 43.124 AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.123  AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 43.121 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Appalachian Power Company , located at 40 Franklin Road.

Davis 43.12 Appalachian Power Company.jpg
Rear view of Appalachian Power Company as seen from Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 42.531 Academy of Music.jpg
The Academy of Music was located in the 400 block of West Salem Avenue. The Academy opened 7 October 1892. After World War II, it fell into disuse and was razed in 1953.

Davis 42.1 Davis Photo Company.jpg
Davis Photo Company at 104 W. Salem Avenue. George Davis stands behind car on right with arm on window frame. Other men unidentified.

Davis 4.42 Franklin Road.jpg
Looking North on Franklin Road, South of McClanahan Street.

Davis 4.31 Mill Mountain Loop.jpg
Old road up to Mill Mountain. Photo caption reads, "at this location the loop the loop where Mr. Henritze's house (Rockledge) is located now".

Davis 4.21 American Viscose Car Parade.jpg
American Viscose car in World War I drive parade.

Davis 34.1-2  Easter Sunrise Service.jpg
Easter Sunrise Service held in Highland Park under the auspices of the Altrusa Club of Roanoke.

Davis 34.1-1 Easter Sunrise Service.jpg
Easter Sunrise Service held in Highland Park under the auspices of the Altrusa Club of Roanoke.

Davis 3.13 1927 Roanoke Flood.jpg
Cars drive through water on Campbell Avenue in front of the Market Building.

Davis 3.1 City Market Circa 1936.jpg
A view of the City Market area looking south on Market Street.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 2.161 2nd Street Store Fronts.jpg
2nd St. about 1916. Davis is leaning against the lamp post.

Davis 2.1342 WT Grant Co.jpg
W.T. Grant Company and McClellan Stores, formerly located 17-23 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.134 Leggett's.jpg
Leggett's, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue SW.

Davis 2.1337 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1336 Campbell Ave.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1335 West Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue from Jefferson intersection

Davis 2.1334 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1333 West on Campbell.jpg
Looking West on Campbell Avenue

Davis 2.1321 East on Campbell.jpg
Looking East on Campbell Avenue from First Street.

Davis 2.1311 Joy Shop.jpg
Joy Shop located at Jefferson and Campbell

Davis 2.1115 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1114  South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street. Signs for Jefferson Cafe, Jefferson Hotel and Hotel Colonial line the left side of the street. Signs for Rex Taylor's and the Patrick Henry Hotel are visible on the right side of the street.

Davis 19a RRYMCA.jpg
Railroad YMCA, formerly located at 12th Street and Shenandoah Avenue. Razed in 1947.

Davis 19.814 Terrace Apartments.jpg
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, formerly Wood Apartments, located in Raleigh Court.

Davis 19.813 Terrace Apartments.jpg
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, formerly Wood Apartments, located in Raleigh Court.

Davis 19.811 Terrace Apartments.jpg
A view of several buildings of the Terrace Apartments, once called Wood Apartments, located on Ghent Hill.

Davis 18.52 Roanoke Wastewater Treatment Plant.jpg
Roanoke Wasterwater Treatment Plant off of Brownlee Avenue in Southeast.

Davis 16.76 Shangri La Motel.jpg
View of the Shangri La Motel and Sign, once located at 5125 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.421 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.41a Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.414 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park and houses.

Davis 16.2690 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.269 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
West entrance of the Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.267 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Main entrance of Hotel Roanoke

Davis 16.266 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Exterior of garage at Hotel Roanoke.

Davis 16.23 Hotel Roanoke Construction.jpg
The Hotel Roanoke under construction. Construction by the Virginia Bridge Company.

Davis 101.22 Marstellar garage.jpg
Glidden Tour cars parked in Marstellar's garage on Church Avenue.

RNC 3 N&W Salvage.jpg
Norfolk & Western Salvage Warehouse, formerly located at 201 Campbell Avenue SE.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2