Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (99 total)

FE291 School Administration.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE287 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE283 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE267 Williamson Building.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo it was occupied by the Sportsman, Deb Fashions, Thom McCann Shoes. The building was razed in 1977.

FE198 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
The temporary quarters of Mountain Trust Bank, formerly located at 34 W. Church Avenue.

FE175 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE142 Roanoke Printing Company.jpg
Roanoke Printing Company occupies the Bolling Building, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street SW.

FE124 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE057 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE034 Horton Livery.jpg
Horton and Roberts Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (now 1st Street SW) just north of the northeast corner of Henry Street and Church Avenue.

FE033 Big Lick Livery.jpg
In 1898, the Big Lick Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (1st Street SW) just north of Roanoke's first federally funded post office (located on the NE corner of Henry (1st) Street and Church Avenue) which can be seen in the background. In 1890 this…

FE032 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

FE027 Title Guarantee.jpg
Title Guarantee Trust and Savings Bank, formerly located at 34 Church Avenue SW.

FE022 Church and Jefferson.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo, the building housed T.L. Deyerle Company. It would later be home to the Sportsman. The building was razed in…

FE006 JE Bernards.jpg
J.E. Bernard's Machine Shop, formerly located at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. Roanoke Automobile Company is located next door, specializing in the sale of Ramblers.

PS 6.1 Municipal Building.jpg
Noel C. Taylor Municipal Building, located at 215 Church Avenue.

SF001 Church Avenue Bus Depot copy.jpg
Bus depot, formerly located at 16 West Church Avenue.

Davis 22.22 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 12.4 Commonwealth Building.jpg
Originally constructed as the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse in 1932, the Commonwealth Building is located at 220 Church Avenue.

Creasy9 Church and 5th.jpg
Home formerly located at 5th Street and Church Avenue.

Creasy8 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue at 2nd Street. The old YMCA building is seen on the left and Greene Memorial United Methodist on the right.

Creasy4 Texas Tavern.jpg
A Roanoke landmark, Texas Tavern is located at 114 Church Avenue SW.

Scyphers7 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Church Avenue from Jefferson Street. Visible are the Sportsman Restaurant, Parker Photo Studio, Junior Achievement of the Roanoke Valley, Kaybee Store and Moskin's Store.

Scyphers5 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Church Avenue intersection. Visible are The Sportsman Restaurant, Bernard's Menswear, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

IRB37 Fire Station1.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building, metal roof, concrete floors, with the exception of the second which is wood boards, open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster. One stairs basement to first…

IRB4 Mercantile Building.jpg
This is a one story brick building with metal roof, wood floors, plastered walls and metal ceiling, electric lights and cooking gas range. This building is approximately 30 years old and in fair condition. Occupancy: Restaurant. Valuation: The sound…

IRB3 Mercantile Building.jpg
This is a two story frame building with metal roof, wood floors, plastered interior finish, electric lights and coal stove hear. This building is approximately 50 years old an in fair condition. Occupancy: Offices, drugstore, dwelling. Valuation:…

IRB2 Municipal Annex.jpg
This is a two story building and basement brick building with metal roof, plank floors with the exception of the basement floor which is concrete, plastered interior finish and one open stairs from basement to second floor, electric lights and low…

Davis2 43.51 Williamson Building.jpg
The Williamson Building was located at the corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. The address of Graves-Humphreys Hardware was 311 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.326 Taylor-Rutrough.jpg
Taylor-Rutrough Menswear, formerly located at 28 Church Avenue SW.

Davis 43.311 Bank of Virginia.jpg
Construction of the Bank of Virginia, formerly located at 102 Church Avenue SW, is now First Citizens Bank.

Davis 27.11 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
First Church of Christ Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 23.11 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

MP 4.41 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Church Avenue intersection. Construction of the Liberty Trust Building can be seen in background. Sign advertises J.H. Marsteller's (a car enthusiast and businessman) "Model Garage", formerly located at 16…

MP 4.45 Church Avenue.jpg
Boyd-Sweeney Company Hardware and National Business College, formerly located at 9-11 Church Avenue SW.

Davis2 19.1 YMCA Pool.jpg
View of the pool inside the old YMCA building, formerly located at 425 Church Avenue, now the Locker Room Lofts.

Davis2 45.9 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Main office of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW.

Davis2 45.91 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas Company, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners.

Davis2 45.92 Roanoke Gas.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue in front of Roanoke Gas, formerly located at 123-125 Church Avenue SW. The sign was illuminated by gas burners. Sign panels have been removed as the gas burners are being replaced with electric lights.

MP 4.9 Nobles Flowers.jpg
Nobel's Flowers, formerly located at 430 Church Avenue.

Davis GL 57 Mayors Momument.jpg
Mayor's Monument in its original location in Woodland Park at Church Avenue and Sixth Street SE, overlooking the Norfolk and Western Shops. The Mayor

Davis GL 43 Church Avenue.jpg
View of the intersection of Church Avenue and Second Street SW with the sign for the YMCA on the right.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

CPC 5 Church and 5th.jpg
Jog intersection at Church Avenue and 5th Street.

CPC 38 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 37 Church and 3rd.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from 3rd Street. Post office (now Commonwealth Building) is under construction at right.

CPC 2 SW from YMCA.jpg
Looking southwest from the top of the YMCA building on 2nd Street. Lee Junior High School is visible in the left background.

Davis 65.12 Fire Station #1.jpg
Ladder #1 (left), a 1918 Seagrave, sits next to the Chief's car, a Hudson, and Engine #1 (right) at Fire Station #1. Fireman on Ladder #1, from L to R: Elsie J. Knowles, __Shillins, James E. Updike, Harry Grubb, Raymond N. Wills, Harry J. Daniels…

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

Davis 65.1 Firemen at Station #1.jpg
Fireman in front of Station #1 on Church Avenue. 1st row, L to R: William Sink, Fredrick W. Bladon, Chief James F. McFall, Stephen C. Snead and Cleveland Carper Meador. 2nd row, L to R: Walter H. Via, James W. Nichols, Robert M. Hancock, George W.…

Davis 65.012 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Roanoke firefighters line up for a Labor Day parade at the present corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. W.P. Mundy livery stable is in the background.

Davis 622 Commerce Street School.jpg
Students of Commerce Street School. Commerce Street School or First Ward School stood at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street (Commerce). The school was built in 1890 and razed in 1929 to make way for the post office.

Davis 6.81 Old PO Foundation.jpg
Looking SE at the intersection of Church Street and Henry Street (1st) at the Old Post Office Foundation.

Davis 56.813 Greene Memorial Banner Class.jpg
Greene Memorial Methodist Church Banner Class on steps of Post Office.

Davis 55.72 Capture of Sidna Allen and Welsey Edwards.jpg
Capture and jail transport of Sidney Allen and Wesley Edwards. Both men were members of the infamous Allen clan that opened fire on the Carroll County Courthouse in 1912 and subsequently led Baldwin-Felts Detective Agents (of Roanoke, VA) on a…

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria.jpg
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…

Davis 46.414i Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414h Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414g Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414f Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414e  Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414d Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414c Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414b Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414a Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.414 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company on Church Ave. and 3rd St. SW.

Davis 46.411 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 46.41 Boyle-Swecker Tire Company.jpg
Boyle-Swecker Tire Company was located at 309 Church Avenue. The building was razed in 1960.

Davis 43.412 Home Building and Savings.jpg
View of Home Building and Savings Storefront in 100 block of Church Avenue

Davis 4.11 mayors monument.jpg
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11-2 Mayors Monument.jpg
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11-4 Mayors Monument.jpg
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 4.11-3 Mayors Monument.jpg
Mayor's Monument, also known as Kimball Tower

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran.jpg
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is not located on the site.

Davis 27.51 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
The Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.5 Central Church of the Brethren.jpg
Interior view of Central Church of the Brethren, located at 416 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.2 First Christian Church.jpg
First Christian Church, locate at 344 Church Avenue.

Davis 27.1 First Church of Christ Scientist.jpg
The First Church of Christ. Scientist, formerly located at the corner of Church Avenue and 5th Street.

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.12 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photo, the vacant building's lawn is being used for billboards. The signs include: Jamison's Chain Grocery Stores, Colonial National Bank,…

Davis 24.1 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Espiscopal Church at its Church Avenue and 2nd Street location. The building was not being used by the church at the time this photo was taken. General Outdoor Adventure Co. was using the building.

Davis 23.1 Old First Presbyterian.jpg
Old First Presbyterian Church, formerly located on the Southwest corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street.

Davis 2.22 J. Kefauver & Son's Repository.jpg
The Kafauver Repository was a large warehouse built on the site of the present Municipal Building between 1874 and 1878 and faced Commerce St. It was known as Kefauver's Folly in that Kefauver & Son originated the Central Manufacturing Company and…

Davis 12.1 Roanoke Post Office.jpg
First post office. N.E. corner of Church Ave., S.W. and 1st Street.

Davis 101.22 Marstellar garage.jpg
Glidden Tour cars parked in Marstellar's garage on Church Avenue.

Davis 100 General Outdoor Advertising.jpg
General Outdoor Advertising Company was located in the old St. John's Episcopal Church on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. The church is hardly visible due to the billboard display surrounding it.

RNC 11 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was formerly located on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street where the Noel C. Taylor Municipal building stands today.

RNC 63 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 64 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 40 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

RNC 51 Municipal Building.jpg
A view of the municipal building from the YMCA.

RNC 139 Commerce Street School.jpg
Demolition of the Commerce Street School, also known as the First Ward School.

RNC 52 Church Avenue.jpg
Commerce Street School being razed to make room for the post office. Greene Memorial United Methodist Church can be seen in background.

RNC 60 Church Avenue.jpg
Demolition of St. John's Episcopal and a house on Church Avenue to make way for the post office.

RNC 81 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue from the 100 block.

RNC 132 Church and 2nd.jpg
Buildings once located at 2nd Street and Church Avenue where the Commonwealth Building stands today.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2