Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (216 total)

FE298 Coulter Building.jpg
Built in 1926, the Coulter Building is located at 601 S. Jefferson Street.

FE293 Jefferson Apartments.jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street. This view looks west on Mountain Avenue.

FE290 City Hotel.jpg
City Hotel was built in 1886 on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Salem Avenue.

FE285 Colonial Bank Building.jpg
Colonial National Bank building, located at 202 S. Jefferson Street.

FE284 Roanoke Lodge #197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road

FE280 Hammond Printing.jpg
Hammond's Printing and Litho Works, formerly located on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Luck Avenue,

FE268 Lorraine Apartments.jpg
Shown under construction are the Lorraine Apartments, located at 1221 S. Jefferson Street. This view shows the rear of the building from Maple Avenue SW.

FE267 Williamson Building.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo it was occupied by the Sportsman, Deb Fashions, Thom McCann Shoes. The building was razed in 1977.

FE266 Lorraine Apartments.jpg
Shown under construction are the Lorraine Apartments, located at 1221 S. Jefferson Street.

FE260 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the 300 block.

FE258 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from Salem Avenue.

FE256 Stone Printing.jpg
Stone Printing Company began doing business at this location in 1891. The stone veneer was added to the building, located at 116 N. Jefferson Street, in 1907.

FE189 Fenton China.jpg
Fenton China and House Furniture, formerly located at 306 S. Jefferson Street.

FE182 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Colonial Bank building.

FE162 N&W General Offices.jpg
Completed in 1883 by the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, the general office building housed the offices for Norfolk & Western after they were moved from Lynchburg. The building was located on the northwest corner of Jefferson Street and Shenandoah…

FE120 N&W General Offices.jpg
Norfolk & Western General Offices, located at 8 N. Jefferson Street, replaced the old General Offices after they were destroyed by fire in 1896. This building would be used in this capacity until 1932 when the new office building was completed.

FE112 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street SW.

FE056 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Colonial National Bank building.

FE048 FNEB.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building is located at 201 S. Jefferson Street.

FE037 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street.

FE024 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. American Theatre on right.

FE022 Church and Jefferson.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo, the building housed T.L. Deyerle Company. It would later be home to the Sportsman. The building was razed in…

FE017 Mountain Trust.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank was located in the Strickland Building at 302 S. Jefferson Street.

TNC 54.0 Dominion Tower.jpg
Dominion Tower construction shown from the roof of 213 S. Jefferson Street.

PS 261.2 Davidsons Menswear.jpg
Window displays at Davidson's Menswear.

PS 261.1 Davidsons Menswear.jpg
Window displays at Davidson's Menswear.

PS 71.0 Propst-Childress.jpg
Propst-Childress Shoe Company window display. Store was located at 306 S. Jefferston Street.

PS 66.0 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace Apartments, formerly located at 924 S. Jefferson Street.

city012.jpg
This card shows how Jefferson Street had changed over the years. This view looks north down Jefferson Street from Mountain Avenue, showing a variety of commercial buildings, apartments and hotels.

Davis 47.312 Roanoke City Mills.jpg
Roanoke City Mills, formerly located at 1750 Jefferson Street. The mill was raised in 2009.

Davis 43.301 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building was built in 1912. Located at 204 Jefferson Street, it has been in continuous operation as a bank for over a century.

Davis 43.214 N&W General Offices.jpg
The former general office building of Norfolk and Western, located at 108 N. Jefferson Street, now houses the Roanoke Higher Education Center.

Davis 24.02 St. Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church, located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue.

Davis 2.28 Boxley Building.jpg
Still under construction in this photograph, the Boxley Building was built by W.W. Boxley, then mayor of Roanoke. The building is located at 416 S. Jefferson Street.

Creasy20 Centennial Parade.jpg
Roanoke Transportation Museum float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy19 Centennial Parade.jpg
Marines reenact the raising of the American Flag at Iwo Jima in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy18 Centennial Parade.jpg
Replica 1892 Heironimus float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy17 Centennial Parade.jpg
Crowds line Jefferson Street for the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy12 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy11 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy10 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy7 Stone Printing.jpg
Stone Printing Company, formerly located at 116 N. Jefferson Street.

Creasy6 707 Building.jpg
The 707 Building, located at 707 S. Jefferson Street.

PC 132.7 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
"Downtown Roanoke, Virginia looking north on Jefferson Street with the Main Branch of the Roanoke Public Library in the foreground."

PC 128.35 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Intersection on Jefferson Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.34 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street looking south at night, Roanoke Virginia."

PC 128.33 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking south, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.32 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking north from Church Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.31 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking north, Roanoke, Virginia - Nestling in a beautiful amphitheatre formed by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east and the Alleghany Mountains on the west and at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley lies Roanoke - The…

PC 128.3 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Roanoke, Virginia - Nestling in a beautiful amphitheatre formed by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east and the Alleghany Mountains on the west and at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley lies Roanoke - Magic City of the South, key to…

PC 116.65 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
"Patrick Henry Hotel from Elmwood Park - Roanoke, Virginia. This view from Elmwood Park in the heart of Roanoke shows part of the Roanoke Public Library and the Patrick Henry Hotel, located on S. Jefferson Street."

PC 116.64 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
"Hotel Patrick Henry, Roanoke, Virginia. 400 rooms with bath, ceiling fan, circulating ice water. Garage direct entrance to lobby. Fay M. Thomas, Manager."

PC 116.63 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel

PC 116.61 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
"Hotel Patrick Henry, Roanoke, Virginia. 300 rooms, 300 baths. Robert R. Meyer, President. A.B. Moody, Manager."

PC 116.6 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
"Patrick Henry Hotel, Roanoke, Virginia. 300 rooms, each with bath - 125 air conditioned. Fine coffee shop. Airlines office in lobby. Bus station nearby. Located on the edge of the business district. Information on Blue Ridge Parkway. Routes US 11,…

PC 104.3 Elks Lodge.jpg
"Elks Club House, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 104.1 Elks Lodge.jpg
"Home of Lodge No. 197, BPO Elks, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 94.0 First National Bank.jpg
First National Bank building, Roanoke, Virginia.

Scyphers33 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Church Avenue intersection. Visible are The Sportsman Restaurant, Bernard's Menswear, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers25 Jefferson Street.jpg
A view of the Jefferson Theatre and Heironimus on Jefferson Street.

Scyphers18 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Franklin Road. Visible are State Office Supply and Gifts, Hammond's Printing & Litho Works, Johnnie's Steakhouse, Jefferson Theatre, Heironimus, Sidney's and Thornton & Creasy Drugs.

Scyphers17 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street. Visible are State Office Supply and Gifts, Hammond's Printing & Litho Works, Johnnie's Steakhouse, Jefferson Theatre, Heironimus, Sidney's and Thornton & Creasy Drugs.

Scyphers13 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from Franklin Road. Visible are John Norman Clothing, the Park Theatre, State Office Supplies and Gifts, the Coulter Building, People's Drugstore and the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Scyphers9 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street. Visible are Heironimus, The Sportsman Restaurant, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers8 Franklin Road.jpg
Looking west on Franklin Road from Jefferson Street. Visible are the Knights of Pythias building, Star Barber Shop, Roanoke Valley Heart Association, GAC Finance, Riley's Cafe, Thornton & Creasy Drugs, and Holdren's

Scyphers6 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. Visible are Holiday's Shoe Store, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Thomas McAn Shoes, The Sportsman Restaurant and Heironimus.

Scyphers5 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Church Avenue intersection. Visible are The Sportsman Restaurant, Bernard's Menswear, Thomas McAn Shoes, Kann's Apparel, Hoffheimer's Shoes, Holiday's Shoe Store and the American Theatre.

Scyphers3 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Franklin Road intersection. Visible at left is the Elks Lodge and the Elmwood Diner. Also visible is Hammond Printing and Litho Works.

RREC9 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street at the Campbell Avenue Intersection. The Didier Grocers building at right, in earlier days, housed the street railway offices and provided a waiting room for the cars. In the middle of Jefferson Street, a horsecar…

RREC4 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
A bird's-eye view of Downtown Roanoke at Jefferson Street looking toward Mill Mountain. The St. James Hotel is visible in the foreground. At right can be seen the Terry Building.

RREC1 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Campbell Avenue intersection.

Davis 31.6 Gale House.jpg
Home of Dr. Joseph Gale, formerly located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis2 2.133 Hardy Shoes.jpg
Hardy Shoes for Men and Boys, formerly located at the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.13 Campbell and Jefferson.jpg
The Rosenberg Building, formerly located on the corner of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street, was once the home of the Joy Shop, Barr Brothers Jewelers and Oak Hall Clothing.

Davis2 43.51 Williamson Building.jpg
The Williamson Building was located at the corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. The address of Graves-Humphreys Hardware was 311 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.13 Caldwell-Sites Company.jpg
Caldwell-Sites Company Booksellers, formerly located at 105 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.121 Jefferson and Franklin.jpg
View of the building on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road. Among the businesses occupying this area were the Jefferson Street Pharmacy, Morgan's Restaurant, Katheryne Marechal Beauty Salon, John Norman Tayloring and the Park Theatre. …

Davis 23.41 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 24.18 St. John's Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 45.311 Strietmann Biscuit.jpg
Strietmann Biscuit Company, formerly located at 1600 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.322 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Entrance of Carlton Terrace, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.321 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Looking north of Jefferson Street in the 900 block, Carlton Terrace is on the right.

Davis 1.32 Carlton Terrace.jpg
Carlton Terrace apartment building, formerly located in the 900 block of Jefferson Street.

Davis 1.31 Walnut and Jefferson.jpg
Corner store formerly located at the intersection of Walnut Avenue and Jefferson Street. Walnut Avenue Meat Market, Hutson's Grocery and the American Cafe were among its tenants. The Bridge Inn is just visible at left.

Davis 21.531 Jefferson Street Baptist.jpg
Jefferson Street Baptist Church, formerly located at the corner of Jefferson Street and Wells Avenue NW.

Davis 21.22 First Baptist Gainsboro.jpg
First Baptist Church was located at 407 N. Jefferson Street. Built between 1898 and 1900, it was used by the congregation until a new sanctuary was built in 1982. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The building was…

Davis 44.329 Heironimus.jpg
Heironimus and Company when located at 34-38 Campbell Avenue. The history of Heironimus downtown follows: Heironimus and Brugh Dry Goods started in 1890 at 110 Commerce Street and later 206 Commerce Street SW (2nd Street). A new building was…

Davis 44.325 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, formerly located at 310 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 16.4311 PH Coffee Shop.jpg
Interior view of the coffee shop located inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.422 Patrick Henry.jpg
Close-up showing main entrance to the Patrick Henry Hotel on Jefferson Street.

Davis2 16.423 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Roanoke Public Library.

Davis 16.415 Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry Hotel as seen from Elmwood Park.

MP 4.41 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Church Avenue intersection. Construction of the Liberty Trust Building can be seen in background. Sign advertises J.H. Marsteller's (a car enthusiast and businessman) "Model Garage", formerly located at 16…

Davis 2.242 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis2.241 Elks Lodge.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

Davis2 35.3 Jefferson Apartments .jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.52 Winston Property.jpg
Winston Property Management, formerly located at 930 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 14.76 Roanoke Memorial Rehab.jpg
Roanoke Memorial Rehabilitation Center, located at 2017 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8c National Cash Register.jpg
Work stations inside National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8b National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 47.8a National Cash Register.jpg
National Cash Register, formerly located at 902 S. Jefferson Street,

Davis2 46.227 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
A Mercedes on the sales lot of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.226 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.225 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Garage interior of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.224 Jarrett-Chewning.tif
Unidentified employees stand in front of Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.223 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.222 Jarrett-Chewning.jpg
Jarrett-Chewning Company, formerly located at 1854 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 46.5 Moore Tire.jpg
Moore Tire Company, formerly located at 1860 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 44.4 Smartwear Irving-Saks.jpg
Window display at Smartwear Irving-Saks, formerly located at 210-212 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis2 43.8 Peoples Federal.jpg
People's Federal Savings and Loan, formerly located in the Liberty Trust Building at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis2 2.1116a East on Campbell.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis2 1.3 Grand Piano Billboard.jpg
Billboard advertisement for Grand Piano located at Jefferson Street and Franklin Road.

MPO 30.0 Roanoke Motor Car.jpg
Roanoke Motor Car Company, formerly located at 503 S. Jefferson Street. The company sold Chevrolets.

MP 31.7 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the theatre's main entrance with marble walls and brass doors.

MP 31.6 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation unitl 1971; it was razed in 1973. This is a view of the auditorium and balcony as seen from the stage.

MP 31.5 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of a staircase from the mezzanine to the upper balcony and loges.

MP 31.4 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of the mezzanine.

MP 31.3 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows paintings in the foyer as seen from the mezzanine.

MP 31.2 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the ornately appointed foyer. The placard at left advertises the…

MP 31.1 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the loge, just above the orchestra pit.

MP 31.0 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This interior view is of the stage from the balcony.

MP 11.1 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 11.0 Finks Jewelers.jpg
Fink's Jewelers, at its former 310 S. Jefferson Street location.

MP 6.0 Heironimus Rendering.jpg
Artist rendering of Heironimus. Artist unknown. Location is 401 S, Jefferson Street.

MP 4.7 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Superimposed image of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 4.4 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking west on Salem Avenue toward the intersection with Jefferson Street.

MP 4.1 Terry House.jpg
The Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park, was the first library in the city.

MP 3.21 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Interior view of Hallmark Hall of Cards, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson St.

MP 3.2 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Hallmark Hall of Cards store, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson Street.

MP 2.4 Roanoke City Mills.jpg
An aerial view of the Roanoke City Mills, once located at 1750 Jefferson Street. The mill facility was razed in 2009.

Underwood 5 North on Jefferson.jpg
Aerial view looking north on Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 85 FNEB Detail.jpg
Stonework etched with First National Exchange Bank.

Davis GL 7 Jefferson Street Looking North.jpg
Aerial view of Jefferson Street looking north.

Davis GL 42 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park from the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis GL 40 Railway Station.jpg
View from Williamson Road of Virginia Railway Station. Jefferson Street bridge in background.

Davis GL 269 Jefferson Street.jpg
Northwest corner at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis GL 26 State and City Bank.jpg
Side view of State & City Bank, once located at approximately 206 Jefferson Street. This photo was taken after a building was razed.

Davis GL 237 Walnut Avenue Bridge.jpg
Side view of the Walnut Avenue and Jefferson Street bridges.

Davis GL 23 Jefferson Street.jpg
View of advertisement signs hanging from the front of buildings along South Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 222 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
View of Patrick Henry Hotel from Elmwood Park.

Davis GL 21.1 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished with coat laying on ladder.

Davis GL 21 Terry Building.jpg
Image of a building being demolished.

Davis GL 19 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue at intersection with Jefferson Street.

Davis GL 172 Hotel Patrick Henry.jpg
View of Hotel Patrick Henry from Elmwood Park

UC 71 Thomas Rutherfoord.jpg
Thomas Rutherfoord Bonding and Insurance, located at 1 S. Jefferson Street.

CPC 7e Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7d Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7c Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7b Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 7a Campbell Avenue.jpg
Removal of street railways on Campbell Avenue at the intersection with Jefferson Street.

CPC 53 Terry House.jpg
Terry House, formerly located in Elmwood Park. The Terry House was gifted to the City of Roanoke in 1921 for use a library. It operated in this capacity until a new library was built in 1952.

CPC 52 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese Magnolia in Elmwood Park.

Davis2 23.44 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 66.3a Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926

Davis 66.11 Jefferson Street Bridge.jpg
Jefferson Street Bridge was built in 1926.

Davis 65.941 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.94 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.022 Junior Hose Company #2.jpg
Members of the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 and the Junior Hose Company #2 stand in front of Vigilante Fire Station #1 shortly before escorting the body of Mayor William Carr to his burial in City Cemetery.

Davis 65.021 Vigilante Fire Station.jpg
Vigilante Fire Station #1 stood on the northeast corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Shown here shortly before completion in 1888, the fire station remained in use until 1907 when the "new" Station #1 was built on Church Avenue. Prior to the…

Davis 65.02 Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1.jpg
Firemen from the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 post in front of the original Fire Station #1 (formerly located at Campbell Avenue and 1st Street) prior to the funeral of Mayor William Carr. 1st row, L to R: Thomas Engleby, __ Harris, __ Shank, __…

Davis 65.012 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Roanoke firefighters line up for a Labor Day parade at the present corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. W.P. Mundy livery stable is in the background.

Davis 63.21 Street Car.jpg
Unidentified man stands next to a street car on Jefferson Street.

Davis 61d N&W General Offices.jpg
Original Norfolk & Western General Offices, formerly located at the corner of Jefferson Street and Shenandoah Avenue. The building was destroyed by fire on 4 January 1896.

Davis 61.11 N&W Railroad.jpg
N&W Railroad - View looking east down tracks - N&W General Offices, Hotel Roanoke, and depot at Jefferson Street crossing all visible.

Davis 6.124 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Corner of Jefferson Street and Bullitt Avenue, looking toward the SE corner of Elmwood Park.

Davis 6.123 Elmwood Corner.jpg
Intersection of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue, looking toward the SW corner of Elmwood Park. Terry House visible through the trees.

Davis 45.31 Strietmann Biscuit.jpg
Strietmann Biscuit Company, formerly located at 1600 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.171 Thurman Property.jpg
Looking north at 401- 407 Jefferson Street. Herbert's Fine Feminine Footwear, Woolworth and Thurman & Boone occupied these storefronts.

Davis 44.17 Thurman Property.jpg
Thurman & Boone, formerly located at 401 Jefferson Street.

Davis 43.362 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.3509 Liberty Trust Building.jpg
Built in 1910 as First National Bank, the Liberty Trust Building stands at 101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 43.34 Terry Building.jpg
Built in 1892, the 8 story Terry Building was Roanoke's first "skyscraper". It was located on the Southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Campbell Avenue. Colonial National Bank was housed in the building. Sadly, it was razed in 1927 to make room…

Davis 43.32 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank , formerly located at 302 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 43.3 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
Interior of First National Exchange Bank, formerly located at 201 S. Jefferson Street. The building is now Wells Fargo.

Davis 43.213 N&W General Offices.jpg
The Norfolk and Western General Offices once stood at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street. The building was destroyed by fire 4 January 1896.

Davis 43.212 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.211 N&W General Offices Fire.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.21_N&W Office fires.jpg
N&W General Offices fire. Formerly located at the corner of Jefferson and 1st Street, the building was a total loss.

Davis 43.2-1 Norfolk & Western Office Building.jpg
Norfolk & Western Regional Offices, once located at the corner of Jefferson Street and 1st Street.

Davis 43.14 Coulter Building.jpg
The Coulter Building at 601-605 Jefferson Street. Built in 1926 and once the home of the Heironimus annex, this building now houses the Western Virginia Water Authority.

Davis 42.521 American Theatre.jpg
Children pack the American Theatre for the Saturday Morning Children's Show. Hayden Huddleston can be seen to the left center in front of the stage.

Davis 42.52 American Theatre.jpg
The grand interior of the American Theatre. The theatre opened on 26 March 1928. Once located at 115 S. Jefferson Street, the theatre closed in 1970 and was razed in January of 1973 to make way for the First National Exchange Bank.

Davis 42.21 Stone Printing Company.jpg
The first location of Stone Printing Company on 2nd Street. The company remained in this building until it moved into 116 N. Jefferson Street in 1908. Men unidentified.

Davis 31.45 McClanahan House.jpg
This house was built circa 1855 by Elijah McClanahan. Elijah was the son of William McClanahan who owned over 3,000 acres of land, including Crystal Spring and Mill Mountain. First Presbyterian Church was built on the site in 1929.

Davis 25.14 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.13 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrew's Catholic Church was built in 1902

Davis 25.12 Ryan Hall.jpg
Ryan Hall, the first school building for Roanoke Catholic. The building was razed in 1999.

Davis 25.11 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 25.1 St Andrews.jpg
St. Andrews Catholic Church. The current structure was built in 1902.

Davis 24.181 St Johns Parish.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church Parish House, located at the corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. The church was constructed in 1892. The Parish House was constructed in 1922. It was remodeled in 1957; stone replaced the brick facade seen in…

Davis 23.43 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.25 Roanoke Fair.jpg
Looking north of Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue at crowd gathered for Roanoke Fair.

Davis 2.24 Elks Lodge 197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road where Anthem is now located.

Davis 2.14 Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple.jpg
Corner Stone Laying Masonic Temple. Campbell and Jefferson. Homes in the background. About 1888.

Davis 2.112 N&W Office.jpg
Norfolk & Western Office on the 500 block of S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.1115 South on Jefferson.jpg
Looking South on Jefferson Street.

Davis 16.421 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.41a Patrick Henry.jpg
The Patrick Henry as seen from Elmwood Park.

Davis 16.414 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
The Patrick Henry is seen from Elmwood Park and houses.

Davis 15.15 Roanoke City Library.jpg
The Main branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Davis 15.14 Old Library Building.jpg
Roanoke Public Library as seen from across Jefferson Street.

Davis 15.121 Terry House.jpg
A view of the Terry House from the driveway on Jefferson Street. The Terry House would become Roanoke's first public library in 1921.

Davis 15.12 Library Entrance.jpg
Jefferson Street entrance to the first Roanoke Public Library

Davis 14.6 Gill Memorial.jpg
Gill Memorial Hospital was built in 1926. It was the first hospital in Virginia exclusively providing treatment for eye, ear, nose and throat conditions. It remained in independent operation until 1976, when it was acquired by Roanoke Memorial.

Davis 1.95 Japanese Magnolia.jpg
Japanese magnolia brought from Japan by Admiral Perry. Elmwood Park Spring 1931.

Davis 1.921 Elmwood Park.jpg
View of Elmwood Park looking from Southwest corner of Elm Avenue and Jefferson Street. Terry home and tennis courts visible.

RNC 54 Jefferson Theatre.jpg
Jefferson Theatre, formerly located at 417 S. Jefferson Street.

RNC 101 Jefferson Street.jpg
Home formerly located at 815 S. Jefferson Street.

RNC 42 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Elmwood Park.

RNC 56 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from Campbell Avenue.

Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2