Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (34 total)

Davis2 49.22 Roanoke-Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke-Salem Plaza, formerly located at 4600 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 21.8 Melrose Baptist.jpg
Melrose Baptist Church, formerly located at 1130 Melrose Avenue NW. The building is now used by Holiness Tabernacle Church of God in Christ.

Davis 22.32 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis 22.3 Melrose UMC.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.94b Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.94a Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 49.21 Lerner Shops.jpg
Lerner Shops at Roanoke-Salem Plaza, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 49.2 Roanoke-Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke-Salem Plaza storefronts, including People's Drug, Miller & Rhoads and Winn-Dixie, formerly located at 4600 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.84 Biff Burger.jpg
Order windows at Biff Burger, formerly located at 3323 Melrose Avenue NW.

RAC29 Horton Field.jpg
This 1937 aerial photograph shows the location of Horton Field, which was on the Horton Farm near the present-day intersection of 24th Street and Melrose Avenue. It is believed that the first plane to land at Horton Field in 1919 was a barnstormer…

MP 9.1 Roanoker Cafeteria Sign.jpg
The Roanoker Cafeteria, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue.

MP 3.42 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Two unidentified women pose next to Christmas decorations at the Roanoke Salem Plaza.

MP 3.41 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 3.4 Roanoke Salem Plaza.jpg
Roanoke Salem Plaza opened in 1962. It was the third largest shopping center to open in the valley, with Crossroads being the first and Towers, the second.

MP 2.72 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.71 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

MP 2.7 Elliott Buick.jpg
Elliott Buick, formerly located at 4721 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis GL 66 Melrose Park.jpg
Melrose Park on Melrose Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets.

Davis GL 3 Melrose Park.jpg
View of people playing recreational games in Melrose Park.

Davis GL 105 Melrose Avenue.jpg
Melrose Avenue. Exact location unknown.

CPC 21b Trout Field.jpg
Located adjacent to and east of Fairview Cemetery along Melrose Avenue, Trout Field was Roanoke's first airfield.

CPC 21a Trout Field.jpg
Located adjacent to and east of Fairview Cemetery along Melrose Avenue, Trout Field was Roanoke's first airfield.

Davis 48.611 Crobuks Drug Center.jpg
Sign for Crobuck's Drug Center, formerly located at 2310 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321d Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321c Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank sign, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321b Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Night view of Mountain Trust Bank at 2208 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 43.321a Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank branch, formerly located at 2208 Melrose Avenue. The building is now home to Bank of America.

Davis 27.62 Melrose Avenue SDA Church.jpg
Melrose Avuenue Seventh Day Adventist Church, located at 1601 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 22.33 Melrose United Methodist.jpg
Melrose United Methodist Church, formerly located at 1301 Melrose Avenue

Davis 15.625-3 Melrose Branch Library.jpg
The Melrose Branch Library was constructed in 1947 at a cost of $19,947.00

Davis 15.625-2 Melrose Branch Library.jpg
The newly constructed Melrose Branch Library at 2318 Melrose Avenue. The sign reads, "New Library constructed for your convenience and assistance by the City of Roanoke".

Davis 15.625-1 Melrose Branch Library.jpg
Roanoke Librarian Pearl Hinesley stands in front of the newly constructed Melrose Branch.

Davis 15.621 Melrose Branch Library.jpg
Interior view of Melrose Branch Library after it was relocated from 15th Street and Melrose to the basement of Melrose School at 1100 Melrose Avenue.

Davis 15.62 Melrose Branch Library.jpg
The Melrose Book Station, located at Melrose Avenue and 15th Street. In 1929, the "Book Station" was moved to the basement of Melrose School at 1100 Melrose Avenue. In 1933 it was moved to a vacant store at 1801 Melrose Avenue. In 1948, the branch…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2