Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (79 total)

FE171 Roanoke Photo Finishing.jpg
An interior view of Roanoke Photo Finishing Company with George Davis behind counter.

FE111 Hancock-Clay.jpg
In the Coulter Building, the Hancock-Clay Company opened a department store in 1926. This interior view shows some of the dry goods and notions sold by Hancock-Clay. The firm became bankrupt in the early 1930s.

FE046 Patrick Henry Lobby.jpg
Interior view of the Patrick Henry Hotel lobby.

PS 263.1 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 263 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.2 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of men's department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

SHH026.jpg
The children's department at Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH022.jpg
View of the housewares department of Heironimus decorated with a fairy tale motif.

SHH021.jpg
View of the fabric department of Heironimus.

SHH020.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for McGregor Menswear

SHH013.jpg
A view inside the children's department at Heironimus.

SHH011.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for the Calexico Colorama clothing line.

SHH008.jpg
Displays of tableware at Heirnomimus.

sr186.jpg
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of…

sr121.jpg
Tuberculosis sanatoriums were numerous in the first half of the last century. By the late 1960s, tuberculosis was controllable and facilities, such as Mount Regis, were converted to other uses usually health related.

sr090.jpg
Judge William Moffett convened the first session of Circuit Court in the new court room on April 1, 1910, and dedicated the day “for the hearing of matters and reading of papers of local historical interest.”

city018.jpg
This card’s description reads, “One of the bedrooms of the Roanoke Sanitarium, Inc. – Institution for the treatment of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Drug and Alcohol Addictions.”

city005.jpg
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of…

VRD 2.26.jpg
Vendor stalls inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.25.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.20.jpg
An interior view of the Market Building.

VRD 2.18.jpg
Interior of Market Building after removal of vendor stalls for renovation.

VRD 2.13.jpg
Boxes of merchandise stacked inside the Market Building. Signs above indicate portion sizes for various items.

VRD 2.12.jpg
An interior view of the meat market inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.7.jpg
Largely empty stalls inside the Market Building.

BM338.jpg
Unidentified musicians entertain inside clubhouse of Bent Mountain Hunting Club.

BM294.jpg
Elbe Reed in his store (right) on Route 221. The man at left is unidentified, but possibly a salesman. The store also served as Bent Mountain Post Office.

PC 99.28 St. Andrew's.jpg
"Interior St. Andrew's Cathedral, Roanoke, Virginia."

Davis 14.95 Coyner Springs.jpg
A partial view of one of the wards in Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 14.94 Coyner Springs.jpg
View of main corridor on lower floor of Coyner Springs Sanatorium.

Davis 24.215 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Mural behind the pulpit of Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

Davis 48.6233 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Interior view of Garland's Drugstore, formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road SW.

Davis 27.631 Glad Tidings.jpg
Interior view of Glad Tidings Assembly of God, formerly located at 1217 Maple Avenue SW.

Davis 21.545 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Interior view of the current sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 21.542 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Interior view of the current sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church, located at 2014 Memorial Avenue SW.

Davis 16.436 PH Guest Room.jpg
A typical guest room in the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.435 PH Lobby.jpg
Lobby of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.434 PH Ballroom.jpg
The ballroom of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.4321 PH Dining.jpg
Interior view of the Terrace Dining Room inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 16.4311 PH Coffee Shop.jpg
Interior view of the coffee shop located inside the Patrick Henry Hotel.

Davis 47.431 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Wet cleaning department at Loebl Dye Works. Men from left are: William Staples, Robert Loebl, Walter Morgenthau and unknown.

MP 38.0 Rivinus Room.jpg
Patrons use reference materials in the Rivinus Room at the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries

Davis2 19.1 YMCA Pool.jpg
View of the pool inside the old YMCA building, formerly located at 425 Church Avenue, now the Locker Room Lofts.

Davis2 49.124e Crossroads Mall.jpg
Phillips Shoes in Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 49.124d Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior entrance to Sidney's at Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 49.124c Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior view of Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 49.124b Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior entrance of JC Penney at Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 49.124a Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior of Crossroads Mall. Crossroads was built in 1961 and was the first enclosed shopping center in Virginia.

Davis2 48.773 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Merchandise inside Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 44.82d Barrs Variety Store.jpg
Cash registers at Barr's Variety Store, formerly located at 1318 Grandin Road SW.

Davis2 44.82c Barrs Variety Store.jpg
Shoppers in Barr's Variety Store, formerly located at 1318 Grandin Road SW.

Davis2 44.82a Barrs Variety Store.jpg
Shoppers inside Barr's Variety Store, formerly located at 1318 Grandin Road SW.

Davis2 44.7 Schulte United.jpg
Interior view of Schulte United Millinery, formerly located at 16 Campbell Avenue SW.

MP 34.0 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Interior view of Garland's Drugstore, formerly located 1327 Grandin Road.

MP 33.0 Barn Dinner Theatre.jpg
An interior view of the Barn Dinner Theatre. The theatre was created by Roanoker Howard Wolfe as a franchise in 1961. The chain grew to 27 theatres throughout the country. They were characterized by barn inspired architecture and included…

MP 31.7 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the theatre's main entrance with marble walls and brass doors.

MP 31.6 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation unitl 1971; it was razed in 1973. This is a view of the auditorium and balcony as seen from the stage.

MP 31.5 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of a staircase from the mezzanine to the upper balcony and loges.

MP 31.4 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view is of the mezzanine.

MP 31.3 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows paintings in the foyer as seen from the mezzanine.

MP 31.2 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the ornately appointed foyer. The placard at left advertises the…

MP 31.1 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This view shows the loge, just above the orchestra pit.

MP 31.0 American Theatre.jpg
The American Theatre once stood on the corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Built in 1928, the theatre remained in operation until 1971; it was razed in 1973. This interior view is of the stage from the balcony.

MP 4.8 Henri Kessler.jpg
An unidentified employee works with a fur coat at Henri Kessler Furriers, formerly located at 117 Campbell Avenue.

MP 4.71 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Dining room of the Patrick Henry Hotel.

MP 3.21 Hallmark Shop.jpg
Interior view of Hallmark Hall of Cards, formerly located at 301 S. Jefferson St.

MP 3.12 Reid and Cutshall.jpg
Interior view of Reid and Cutshall Furniture. This photo is believed to have been taken in the Brandon Avenue location. Individuals unidentified.

UC 36 81-43 Restaurant Interior.jpg
Interior of the 81-43 Restaurant, formerly located at 8131 Plantation Road.

Davis2 57.5c Viking Lanes.jpg
Interior view of Viking Lanes Bowling Alley, formerly located at 2727 Franklin Road.

Davis2 57.5b Viking Lanes.jpg
Interior view of Viking Lanes Bowling Alley, formerly located at 2727 Franklin Road.

Davis2 57.5a Viking Lanes.jpg
Interior view of Viking Lanes Bowling Alley, formerly located at 2727 Franklin Road.

Davis2 49.122 Crossroads Mall.jpg
An interior view of Crossroads Mall.

Davis2 44.5g Goodwill Industries.jpg
An interior view of Goodwill Industries, formerly located at 3125 Salem Turnpike.

Davis2 43.6 Paul C. Agee Insurance.jpg
Employees of Paul C. Agee Insurance Company in the office.

Davis 71.13 Craig Healing Springs.jpg
Interior view of the dining hall at Craig Healing Springs.

Davis 67.6 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Interior view of the Roanoke Country Club clubhouse, located at 3360 Country Club Drive. The club saw its beginnings in South Roanoke in 1899. The club moved to its current location in 1908. This clubhouse was the second to be constructed at the…

Davis 49.51 Barber Shop.jpg
Unidentified barber shop.

Davis 42.53 Academy of Music.jpg
Interior of the Academy of Music. Built in 1892 on Salem Avenue near 5th Street, the Academy fell into disuse after World War II. It was demolished in 1953.

Davis 42.52 American Theatre.jpg
The grand interior of the American Theatre. The theatre opened on 26 March 1928. Once located at 115 S. Jefferson Street, the theatre closed in 1970 and was razed in January of 1973 to make way for the First National Exchange Bank.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2