Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (32 total)

RVNH40222.jpg
Customers at the Coffee Pot on Brambleton Avenue. Bob Nelson (front left) and Dick Nelson (back left) are pictured. All others unidentified.

RVNH40208.jpg
Postcard of the Blue Jay Restaurant and Motel, formerly located on Route 11, 6 miles west of Salem.

RVNH40207.jpg
Archie’s Lobster House, formerly located at Williamson Road and Peters Creek Road, was Roanoke’s first seafood restaurant when it opened in 1947. Until 1978, it was operated by Archie Parrish. It was razed in 1981.

RVNH40203.jpg
The Plaza Restaurant, formerly located at 3011 Williamson Road.

sr184.jpg
Scottie’s Tavern was three miles north of Roanoke on Route 11 and specialized in country ham, chicken and steak dinners. It even offered curb service. J.S. Scott was the manager.

PC 92.1 Barn Dinner Theatre.jpg
"Roanoke's first dinner theatre in the round, "The Barn", a Howard D. Wolfe production of old atmosphere, gourmet food, cocktails and the best of Broadway. Presenting nightly, year 'round to those who know the state's most attractive entertainment."

IRB4 Mercantile Building.jpg
This is a one story brick building with metal roof, wood floors, plastered walls and metal ceiling, electric lights and cooking gas range. This building is approximately 30 years old and in fair condition. Occupancy: Restaurant. Valuation: The sound…

Davis 48.712 Archies Lobster House.jpg
Archie’s Lobster House, formerly located at Williamson Road and Peters Creek Road, was Roanoke’s first seafood restaurant when it opened in 1947. Until 1978, it was operated by Archie Parrish. It was razed in 1981.

Davis2 48.94b Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.94a Lendys Take Home.jpg
Lendy's Take Home Shoppe, formerly located at 4102 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.95 Mullens Place.jpg
Mullen's Place, formerly located at 307 9th Street SE.

Davis2 48.84 Biff Burger.jpg
Order windows at Biff Burger, formerly located at 3323 Melrose Avenue NW.

Davis2 48.83 Biff Burger Sign.jpg
Sign for Biff Burger, formerly located at 4317 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 48.82 Patty Wagon.jpg
Kenney's Patty Wagon Hamburgers, formerly located at 5320 Williamson Road NW.

Davis2 48.81 Patty Wagon.jpg
Patty Wagon Hamburgers truck.

Davis2 48.9 Roma Restaurant.jpg
Roma Restaurant (later Villa Sorrento), formerly located at 1210 Patterson Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.8 Mayfair Caterers.jpg
Mayfair Caterers and Restaurant, formerly located at 1602 Orange Avenue NW. Melrose Seventh Day Adventist Church visible in background.

Davis2 16.7414 Archies House of Beef.jpg
Archie's House of Beef was located in the Holiday Inn that once stood at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road.

Davis2 16.7413 Archies House of Beef.jpg
Archie's House of Beef was located in the Holiday Inn that once stood at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road.

MP 33.0 Barn Dinner Theatre.jpg
An interior view of the Barn Dinner Theatre. The theatre was created by Roanoker Howard Wolfe as a franchise in 1961. The chain grew to 27 theatres throughout the country. They were characterized by barn inspired architecture and included…

MP 9.1 Roanoker Cafeteria Sign.jpg
The Roanoker Cafeteria, formerly located at 4142 Melrose Avenue.

MP 3.81 Hut Restaurant.jpg
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

MP 3.8 Hut Restaurant.jpg
Hut Restaurant in Collinsville, Virginia.

UC 54 Kelleys.jpg
Kelley's Restaurant, formerly located at 4328 Salem Turnpike.

UC 42 Kenneys.jpg
Kenney's, formerly located at 4317 Williamson Road.

UC 38 81-43 Restaurant.jpg
81-43 Restaurant, formerly located at 8131 Plantation Road.

UC 37 81-43 Restaurant.jpg
81-43 Restaurant, formerly located at 8131 Plantation Road.

UC 36 81-43 Restaurant Interior.jpg
Interior of the 81-43 Restaurant, formerly located at 8131 Plantation Road.

UC 27 Kenneys.jpg
Kenney's, formerly located at 5324 Williamson Road.

Davis 49.473 Howard Johnson Restaurant.jpg
Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant, formerly located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 48.741 Little Chef.jpg
Little Chef Restaurant, formerly located at 1307 Williamson Road.

Davis 48.73 S&W Cafeteria.jpg
S&W Cafeteria operated at 412 S. Jefferson Street. In 1954, that location closed and has since been occupied by Davidson's mens store. The downtown location moved to 16 Church Avenue, SW, in the former Greyhound Bus Terminal. The new two-story…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2