Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (18 total)

FE111 Hancock-Clay.jpg
In the Coulter Building, the Hancock-Clay Company opened a department store in 1926. This interior view shows some of the dry goods and notions sold by Hancock-Clay. The firm became bankrupt in the early 1930s.

PS 263.1 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 263 WT Grant.jpg
Interior view of W.T. Grant department store, formerly located at 27 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.7 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of salon in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.5 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.4 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of fabric department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.3 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

PS 28.2 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of men's department in Leggett's Department Store, formerly located at 112 Campbell Avenue, SW.

SHH024.jpg
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH023.jpg
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

Davis2 49.4 Sears.jpg
Construction nears completion on Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 49.41 Sears.jpg
Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 49.412 Sears.jpg
Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis 44.329 Heironimus.jpg
Heironimus and Company when located at 34-38 Campbell Avenue. The history of Heironimus downtown follows: Heironimus and Brugh Dry Goods started in 1890 at 110 Commerce Street and later 206 Commerce Street SW (2nd Street). A new building was…

Davis2 49.125 WoolCo.jpg
WoolCo Department Store, formerly located at Crossroads Mall, 5002 Airport Road NW. Original anchor stores at Crossroads were J,C. Penney, Roses, Heironimus, Winn-Dixie, People's Drug, Other mall tenants included Fink's Jewelers, Smartwear Irving…

Davis2 44.6 Leggetts.jpg
Interior view of the children's department at Leggett's, formerly located 112 Campbell Avenue.

MP 6.0 Heironimus Rendering.jpg
Artist rendering of Heironimus. Artist unknown. Location is 401 S, Jefferson Street.

Davis 44.17 Thurman Property.jpg
Thurman & Boone, formerly located at 401 Jefferson Street.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2