Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (70 total)

FE023 Big Lick Hotel.jpg
Formerly located on the southwest corner of Williamson Road and Salem Avenue, the Big Lick Hotel would go through several iterations, including a portion of the Shenandoah Hotel, the Lee Hotel and Hotel Earle. The building was gutted by fire in 1991…

PS 90.0 Hitching Post Motel.jpg
The Hitching Post Motel, formerly located at 7656 Williamson Road.

PS 64.0 Gulf Station.jpg
Gulf Service Station, formerly located at the corner of Plantation Road and Williamson Road. . Tinker Mountain is seen in the background.

PS 49.0 Colonial Tourist Home.jpg
Colonial Tourist Home, formerly located at 3824 Williamson Road.

PS 10.1 MiniBank.jpg
MiniBank in Mick or Mack, formerly located in what is now Williamson Road Plaza.

PS 9.0 Mick or Mack.jpg
Mick or Mack, formerly located in the 5300 block of Williamson Road in what is now Williamson Road Plaza.

Creasy3 Lakeview Motor Lodge.jpg
The Manor House at Lakeview Motor Lodge, formerly located at 6910 Williamson Road.

Creasy2 Lakeview Motor Lodge.jpg
Lakeview Motor Lodge, formerly located at 6910 Williamson Road.

PC 116.2 Plaza Motor Court.jpg
"Plaza Motor Court, open all year. 22 rooms - hot water heat, innerspring mattress each bed, high class restaurant adjacent on US 11 and 220. 4513 Williamson Road, Roanoke, VA 24012. Thomas Scordas, Proprietor, Manager."

Davis 16.9 Shenandoah Hotel.jpg
The Shenandoah Hotel opened on 5 November 1909. Originally consisting of two buildings, separated by an 8-foot alley, the Salem Avenue facing building seen here would later become the Hotel Lee followed by the Hotel Earle. The building was destroyed…

Davis 16.78 Roanoker Motor Lodge.jpg
The Roanoker Motor Lodge, formerly located at 7645 Williamson Road.

Davis2 48.34 Toms Potato Chips.jpg
Tom's Potato Chips and Farm Credit Association, formerly located on the corner of Sycamore Avenue and Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 46.516 BF Goodrich.jpg
B.F. Goodrich Home and Auto, formerly located at 3520 Williamson Road NW.

Davis2 49.4 Sears.jpg
Construction nears completion on Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 49.41 Sears.jpg
Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 49.412 Sears.jpg
Sears Town, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 44.7144 Kroger.jpg
Kroger, formerly located at 1502 Williamson Road NE next to Sears Town.

Davis 11.73 Oakland Elementary.jpg
Oakland Elementary School, formerly located at 3229 Williamson Road NW. Oakland is now the Noel C. Taylor Learning Academy at Oakland.

Davis 48.712 Archies Lobster House.jpg
Archie’s Lobster House, formerly located at Williamson Road and Peters Creek Road, was Roanoke’s first seafood restaurant when it opened in 1947. Until 1978, it was operated by Archie Parrish. It was razed in 1981.

Davis 16.6 Air Castle Court.jpg
Air Castle Court Motel, formerly located at 7121 Williamson Road.

MP 38.14 Williamson Road Book Station.jpg
The Williamson Road Branch found its beginnings as the Williamson Road Book Station, formerly located at 2919 Williamson Road NE.

MP 38.13 Williamson Road Branch.jpg
A newly completed Williamson Road Branch Library.

Davis2 48.774 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 1519 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 48.83 Biff Burger Sign.jpg
Sign for Biff Burger, formerly located at 4317 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 48.82 Patty Wagon.jpg
Kenney's Patty Wagon Hamburgers, formerly located at 5320 Williamson Road NW.

Davis2 46.334 Williamson Esso.jpg
Williamson Road Esso, formerly located at 2715 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 46.62 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford, located at 809 Williamson Road NE.

Davis2 43.62 Congela Building.jpg
Congela Building, located at 2823 Williamson Road.

Davis2 16.7414 Archies House of Beef.jpg
Archie's House of Beef was located in the Holiday Inn that once stood at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road.

Davis2 16.7413 Archies House of Beef.jpg
Archie's House of Beef was located in the Holiday Inn that once stood at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road.

Davis2 16.7412 Holiday Inn.jpg
Holiday Inn formerly located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road.

Davis2 14.74 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Chemical Company visible at left.

Davis2 14.72 Community Hospital.jpg
Community Hospital during construction. Roanoke Engraving is visible on the left.

RAC32 Williamson Road.jpg
In this aerial photograph, Williamson Road runs along the left side. The small structure in the open space at center is the present-day location of Breckenridge Middle School, formerly William Fleming High School. In 1921, the federal government…

MP 2.6 Franklin and Williamson.jpg
Looking south toward the intersection of Franklin Road and Williamson Road. The parking lots visible here became the Norfolk Southern building, Franklin Plaza, and a parking garage.

Underwood 39 North of Roanoke.jpg
Aerial view looking north of Roanoke. Williamson Road can be seen bisecting the photo from top to bottom. At the bottom left, the first street left of Williamson is Sycamore Avenue. The street above Sycamore is Thurston Avenue. The entire block…

Underwood 11 West on Campbell.jpg
Aerial view looking west on Campbell Avenue

Davis GL 40 Railway Station.jpg
View from Williamson Road of Virginia Railway Station. Jefferson Street bridge in background.

Davis GL 241 10th Street.jpg
A view of 10th Street NW at Williamson Road and the Oakland School.

UC 9 Williamson Road Plaza.jpg
Williamson Road Plaza, located in the 5300 block of Williamson Road.

UC 8 Texaco.jpg
Texaco station formerly located in the 5200 block of Williamson Road.

UC 51 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford, located at 809 Williamson Road.

UC 42 Kenneys.jpg
Kenney's, formerly located at 4317 Williamson Road.

UC 27 Kenneys.jpg
Kenney's, formerly located at 5324 Williamson Road.

UC 20 Colonial-American.jpg
Hollins Branch of Colonial-American National Bank, formerly located at 7337 Williamson Road.

UC 12 Magnolia.jpg
Unidentified individuals with a carriage in front of Magnolia. Magnolia was located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road,. Built in 1837 by Zachariah Robinson as a tavern, Magnolia was a popular stop for stagecoach traffic until 1850…

UC 10 Jacks Laundromat.jpg
Jack's Laundromat, formerly located at 5312 Williamson Road.

Davis2 46.61 Magic City Ford.jpg
Unidentified girl sits in toy Mustang at Magic City Ford.

Davis2 46.6 Magic City Ford.jpg
Magic City Ford promotion.

Davis 63.1 Greyhound Bus Depot.jpg
Roanoke Greyhound Bus Depot, formerly located at the corner of Williamson Road and Bullitt Avenue.

Davis 5.1 Community Hospital.jpg
Aerial view of Downtown and Community Hospital

Davis 49.473 Howard Johnson Restaurant.jpg
Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant, formerly located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 49.121 Crossroads Mall.jpg
Crossroads Mall, located at the intersection of Williamson Road and Hershberger Road. Built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed shopping center in Virginia.

Davis 49.12 Crossroads Mall.jpg
Interior view of Crossroads Mall. When it was built in 1961, Crossroads was the first enclosed mall in Virginia.

Davis 48.741 Little Chef.jpg
Little Chef Restaurant, formerly located at 1307 Williamson Road.

Davis 48.711 Archie's Gift Shoppe.jpg
Archie's Gift Shoppe, formerly located at 7130 Williamson Road. This photo shows a dog kennel display.

Davis 46 Hedge Lawn Nurseries.jpg
Trucks from Head Lawn Nurseries. Head Lawn was once located on Williamson Road at Floraland Avenue.

Davis 43.722 H.A. Lucas & Sons Contractors.jpg
H.A. Lucas & Sons Contractors, formerly located at 2404 Williamson Road.

Davis 43.322 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
The Crossroads branch of Mountain Trust Bank, formerly located at 4920 Williamson Road.

Davis 43.124 AEP Office.jpg
AEP was originally located at 129 E. Campbell Avenue before moving to 40 Franklin Road. .

Davis 31.43 Magnolia.jpg
Magnolia was located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Williamson Road,. Built in 1837 by Zachariah Robinson as a tavern, Magnolia was a popular stop for stagecoach traffic until 1850 when rail became the primary means of long distance travel. Dr.…

Davis 22.82 Grace Methodist Church.jpg
Grace Methodist Church located at 4404 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.77 Roanoker Motor Lodge.jpg
The exterior of the Roanoker Motor Lodge located at 7645 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.76 Shangri La Motel.jpg
View of the Shangri La Motel and Sign, once located at 5125 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.731 Hitching Post Motel.jpg
The sign for the Hitching Post Motel, which was located at 7656 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.72 Big Oak Motel.jpg
Big Oak Motel was located at 2501 Williamson Road.

Davis 16.71 Monticello Motel.jpg
Monticello Motel was located at 5046 Williamson Road.

Davis 12.3 Big Lick Post Office.jpg
Big Lick Post Office was located on the corner of Lynchburg Road (Orange Avenue) and Williamson Road.

RNC 41 Big Oak Filling Station.jpg
Big Oak Filling Station was located around the 2500 block of Williamson Road.

RNC 29 GW Copenhaver.jpg
Vacant storefront on Williamson Road between Church Avenue and Kirk Avenue. The building was once occupied by blacksmith G.W. Copenhaver. The site is now a parking lot.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2