Browse Items (53 total)
- Tags: 1st Street
Located at 213 1st Street SW, the Masonic temple was constructed in 1911. For many years, the first floor was occupied by various retail establishments, as evidenced in this photograph when Witten-Martin Furniture Company occupied the space.
The Masonic Temple was located on the northwest corner of First and Kirk Street. In 1915, the street level was occupied by Reams, Jones and Blankenship furniture store. The store’s slogan was “Marry the girl – we’ll furnish the home.”
Looking south on 1st Street from the 1st Street Bridge. The bridge connected Henry Street to Downtown Roanoke. The bridge was renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 2003.
The Anchor Building under construction. Built by Roanoke Gas Company, it was completed in 1910 and is located at the corner of 1st Street and Kirk Avenue. The building was used by Roanoke Gas until 1931 when Shenandoah Life Insurance Company…
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.
Capture and jail transport of Sidney Allen and Wesley Edwards. Both men were members of the infamous Allen clan that opened fire on the Carroll County Courthouse in 1912 and subsequently led Baldwin-Felts Detective Agents (of Roanoke, VA) on a…
An aerial view of Franklin Road at 1st and 2nd Street. The building in the upper right corner is Lee Junior High School, which was razed to build the Poff Federal Building.