Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (294 total)

BM382-2.jpg
Annie Vest and Helen Williams in front of Oswald L. Williams' Store on Bent Mountain.

BM190.jpg
Col. Holt’s store and house on Bent Mountain. Dr. Hurt’s car is parked in front.

BM138.jpg
Bessie Beckner (left) and Essie Mae Beckner.

BM381.jpg
Poages Mill baseball team, #1, R.C. Wertz, #2 O.L. Grisso, #3 John Wertz, #4 Bill Grisso, #5 Ott Wertz, #6 Walt Henry, #7 E.B. Martin, #8 John Bowles, #9 R.C. Henry

BM380.jpg
Marvin Thompson (sitting on barrel) and Guy Conner in Woodrum Orchard.

BM379.jpg
Aerial view of Cave Spring High School and Cave Spring Baptist Church.

BM376.jpg
George M. Burris (right) on a hay wagon, Bent Mountain.

BM375.jpg
Roanoke Look Out Gift Shop on Route 221 at the top of Bent Mountain.

BM374.jpg
Aerial view of Roanoke Look Out Lodge Gift Shop along Route 221 at the top of Bent Mountain.

BM373.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. Maynard Rierson 50th Wedding Anniversary photo.

BM372.jpg
Maynard Rierson and family.

BM371.jpg
Rierson’s Store on Route 221.

BM370.jpg
Flier promoting a music festival at the "new" Back Creek High School.

BM369.jpg
Flier promoting "Old Time Fiddler's Convention" at Back Creek School.

BM367.jpg
Temporary Rierson's Store that was used after old store was razed and before new store was built.

BM366.jpg
Rierson's Store. This was the original store that stood where Back Creek Elementary School stands today on Route 221.

BM365.jpg
Belleview Primitive Baptist Church on Roselawn Road.

BM363.jpg
B.G. Finnell, Sr. in front of his store.

BM362.jpg
Finnell’s Pool on Route 221, near foot of Bent Mountain.

BM361.jpg
B.G. Finnell & Sons store on Route 221, near foot of Bent Mountain.

BM360.jpg
L to R: Marvin, Jesse, and Betty Conner picking apples in Thompson orchard on Bent Mountain.

BM359.jpg
Mormon Church Group at Back Creek.

BM357.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club. Back row, L to R: Ruben Holt, Dewey Holt, Will Wimmer; Front row, L to R: Ralph Metz, Howard Nichols, Raymond Wimmer

BM356.jpg
L to R: Nelson Simpson, Omer C. Simpson, Omer C. Simpson Jr., Francis Simpson and unidentified man stacking hay in field. Simpson farm was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM355.jpg
Omer Simpson (right) with son, Francis, cutting hay. Simpson's farm was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM353.jpg
Former store of Clem and Mae Conner along Route 221.

BM352.jpg
Dr. Joseph Gale’s home in Cave Spring, later owned by Dr. White.

BM351.jpg
Dr. Joseph Gale’s office in Cave Spring.

BM350.jpg
Dr. Joseph A. Gale, a physician at Cave Spring in 1880s.

BM349.jpg
Starkey School

BM348.jpg
Vacation cabin at Laurel Ranch.

BM346.jpg
Haystacks along Tinsley Lane.

BM345.jpg
Grisso-Gates School building, located on property of 5321 S. Roselawn Road in Cave Spring.

BM342.jpg
King Brothers’ saw mill, formerly located in the Bottom Creek area. The mill was powered by steam engine. Logs were hauled to the site by oxen and horses.

BM341.jpg
Marshal Conner’s Bent Mountain Apple Shed produce stand along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM340.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club members ready for a hunt, location unknown.

BM339.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club cabin on Calloway Road, later burned and was replaced with a cinderblock building. Will Wimmer on far right.

BM338.jpg
Unidentified musicians entertain inside clubhouse of Bent Mountain Hunting Club.

BM337.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club. The old club building was located on Callaway Road, off of Route 221 just past Blue Ridge Parkway overpass. Standing, L to R: Will Wimmer, C.F. Holt, Walter Overfelt, Dewey Holt, Doug Lancaster, ?, Woodrow Reed, Jake…

BM336.jpg
Will Wimmer, a farmer at Bent Mountain.

BM335.jpg
Fletcher Wimmer working on family farm. The Wimmers had large cabbage fields. Their farm bordered the Blue Ridge Parkway near the spur road to Bent Mountain.

BM334.jpg
Stone’s Union 76 Service Station along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM333.jpg
Ruby and Allen Stone at Union 76 Service Station along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM328.jpg
Fralin's Produce along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM327.jpg
Former Elbe Reed store and Bent Mountain Post Office on Route 221 in process of being razed.

BM326.jpg
A vacant Bottom Creek Church of the Brethren.

BM325.jpg
A vacant Christo Evangelical Wesleyan Church in the Bottom Creek area.

BM324.jpg
“Old” Bent Mountain School.

BM323.jpg
Bent Mountain Mutual Telephone Company stock certificate.

BM322.jpg
Allen Stone, Bent Mountain.

BM321.jpg
Ruby and Allen Stone, Bent Mountain.

BM320.jpg
Poff’s Garage, Route 221, Bent Mountain.

BM319.jpg
Ott and Lucy Poage at a dance at Back Creek Elementary School.

BM318.jpg
Postcard of Cave Spring Baptist Church, showing parsonage and sanctuary.

BM317.jpg
Henry P. McGuire of Cave Spring in J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

BM316.jpg
Preston Hartman

BM315.jpg
Preston Hartman home, Cave Spring.

BM314.jpg
Back Creek School faculty photo; L to R: Ella Clark Henry, Rufus Henry, Mary Turner.

BM313.jpg
“40 Acres” home postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM312.jpg
Roland Ferguson and family in front of their house. The house is located at 5109 Twelve O’Clock Knob Road.

BM311.jpg
Reno Restaurant card, formerly locate in Starkey area on Crystal Creek Road.

BM310.jpg
Look Out Lodge postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM309.jpg
Diane Altis on pick-up in Back Creak area.

BM308.jpg
L to R: Clarence Altis, Mauvieleen Stanley, Ida Stanley, Gaye Stanley. The hill behind them is where the King’s Forest subdivision is today along Route 221.

BM307.jpg
Stanley Family in snow in the Haran area.

BM306.jpg
Mauvieleen Stanley on Route 221 in area of Haran Baptist Church.

BM305.jpg
Back Creek School; L to R: Ethel Stump, Mauvieleen Stanley, Lorene Underwood, Martin Tinsley, Arlene Stanley.

BM304.jpg
House along Route 221, formerly across from Haran Baptist Church.The Stanley Family moved there in 1943. It was razed in late 1960s.

BM303.jpg
Lorene Simpson and Polly Rierson.

BM302.jpg
Play at Poages Mill Church of the Brethren; L to R: Eddy Grisso, Curt Mowles, Norvell Hurt, Dick Agee, Daisy Long

BM301.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School; L to R: Marie Sloan, ?, ?, Gaynelle Simpson, ?

BM299.jpg
John and Virginia Walters Austin sitting on front porch of home with grandchildren.

BM298.jpg
John Philip Austin at his home located across Route 221 from Mt. Union Church of the Brethren. Austin was the first person to have heart by-pass surgery at Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

BM297.jpg
Group at Bent Mountain School.

BM296.jpg
Student group at Bent Mountain School, mostly unidentified, though it does contain Virginia Walters and Cassie Fralin

BM295.jpg
Faculty Group at Bent Mountain School; L to R: Mrs. Lloyd, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Brook Alderman, ?, Mr. Woods (principal), Ann McGee, Viva Bowles.

BM294.jpg
Elbe Reed in his store (right) on Route 221. The man at left is unidentified, but possibly a salesman. The store also served as Bent Mountain Post Office.

BM293.jpg
Snow being plowed at Coles Egg Farm after a big snow on Bent Mountain.

BM292.jpg
Aerial view of Reed’s Orchard, located at the intersection of Poor Mountain Road and Tinsley Lane. The house was built by the Woodrum Family, bought by Homer Reed in 1948 and closed as a commercial orchard in 1995.

BM291.jpg
Reed’s Orchard operation at intersection of Poor Mountain Road and Tinsley Lane. The apple packing shed in photo was built in 1933.

BM290.jpg
1936 Graduating Class of Bent Mountain High School; Standing, L to R: Raymond Carr, George Powell, Homer Reed; Seated, L to R: Elois King, Margaret Jamison

BM289.jpg
Home of Elbe and Essie Reed, located behind Reed’s Store.

BM288.jpg
Fralin’s produce stand along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM287.jpg
Central Baptist Church, Vacation Bible School. Rev. Arnold Williams is in suit at far left.

BM286.jpg
Harris homeplace along Route 221. It was razed when highway was widened.

BM285.jpg
Alonzo Lockett in “Dokkie” fez.

BM284.jpg
Callie Lockett (nee Harris). She did not cut her hair after age 16, as she thought it sinful to do so.

BM283.jpg
Callie Lockett (seated), L to R: Carol Harris, Alonzo Lockett, Hubert Harris, David Harris, Dorothy Harris

BM282.jpg
Hubert Harris on Salem Avenue in Downtown Roanoke.

BM281.jpg
L to R: Alonzo Lockett, Callie Harris Lockett, Pattie Martin at home formerly located across from the old Starkey School.

BM280.jpg
Sarah and Ballard Martin in front of home. Home is presently located on Shingle Ridge Road, off of Cotton Hill Road. Grandson Damon Martin is in buggy.

BM279.jpg
Ola Agee Harris and Hubert E. Harris lived in the Starkey area.

BM278.jpg
Grant Plaza at Cave Spring, located at 3901 Brambleton Avenue.

BM277.jpg
Roanoke County Book Mobile in front of the Roanoke Count Public Library.

BM276.jpg
Cave Spring Volunteer Fire Department.

BM274.jpg
Luther Bell, board of supervisors member representing Cave Spring.

BM273.jpg
Native American mortar and grinding stone found near Cave Spring, owned by M.A. Janney

BM272.jpg
Enjoying a spin in a Metz car. L to R: Neva, Vera, Elba, Raymond, and Alton Reed.

BM271.jpg
Spring at Cave Spring.

BM270.jpg
Dr. Edward Tinsley ready to start rounds on horseback. His house is in background. Tinsley practiced from 1890 to 1940 in the Bent Mountain area.

BM269.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School

BM268.jpg
Bent Mountain Elementary School

BM267.jpg
Aerial view of Back Creek Orchard Company at foot of Bent Mountain; owned by Woodrum family, R.S. Stearnes, Dr. E.W. Senter, Jack Kefauver and Clinton Craighead

BM266.jpg
John Henry and Susie (Harris) Grisso.

BM265.jpg
Unidentified man examining remnants of splintered oak tree struck by lightning on J.H. Grisso farm, the strike of which killed J.H. Grisso

BM264.jpg
Erecting telephone poles and wire in Back Creek area.

BM263.jpg
Grisso Family, L to R: Ellis Grisso, Mary Grisso, Susie (Harris) Grisso, Price Grisso (small child), John H. Grisso.

BM262.jpg
Charcoal drawing of Elmore Martin. Martin served with the 28th Virginia Infantry, CSA. He died in the war.

BM259.jpg
Scene at Woodrum Orchard.

BM256.jpg
Ben Lewis, resident of Haran area.

BM255.jpg
Sally Lewis, resident of Poages Mill area.

BM021.jpg
Ink sketch of Kittinger Chapel, artist unknown.

BM018.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM017.jpg
Students at Back Creek School.

BM016.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM015.jpg
Roland Ferguson School, located on Twelve O’Clock Knob Road. The teacher was Mildred (Edd) Bell, sister-in-law of Tom and Luther Bell; #1 is Ocie Ferguson, #2 is Icie Ferguson, #3 is Jim Ferguson

BM013.jpg
Haran School, front row, L to R: Blanche Ferguson, Robert Ferguson, Billy Bohon, Geneva Poage, Francis Martin, Mae Agee, Mamie Agee, Mina Day, Gladys Bohon, Claude Puckett, Omer Puckett, Floyd Bohon;
Second row, L to R: Lela Jenny, Nellie Ferguson,…

BM012.jpg
Back Creek High School 4-H Club, L to R: Mildred Bohon, Jane Coon, Josephine Grisso, Geraldine Grubb, Hazel Henderson, Mildred Jones, Sue Lane, Nancy Poage, Sara Lee Poage, Emily Rierson, Cornelia Simpson, Evelyn Webster, Irma Wright

BM011.jpg
School – probably the old log school house first used for Haran School before larger facility was built.

BM010.jpg
Mill wheel at Poage's Mill

BM009.jpg
May Day at Back Creek School, L to R: Catherine Bowling, Frances Grubb, Frances Gill, Lotherine Lavinder (Queen), Josephine Grisso, Evelyn Webster; in the front is crown-bearer Nadine Henderson

BM008.jpg
Back Creek High School, Junior Class, Front row, L to R: Nancy Poage, Pete Christley, Herbert Henderson, Jr., Norman Lavinder, Mary Bowling; Back row, L to R: Bertha Christley, Carl Wade, Bertha Bohon, Martha Jane Henry

BM007.jpg
Sophomore Class at Back Creek School: L to R: Billy Agee, Jane Coon, Edmund Chamberlain, Douglas Grisso, Louis Grisso, Hazel Henderson, John Jones, Mildred Jones, Lotherine Lavinder, Sara Lee Poage, Evelyn Webster

BM006.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM005.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM004.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM003.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM002.jpg
Back Creek School, back row L to R: Bernice Harmon, Charlie Blankenship, Lonzie Janney, Dempsey Grisso, Dean Dores; Second row, L to R: Buster Webster, Edison Likens, Isaac Sutphin, Grover Sink, Harry Cannaday, Grant Christley; Front row, L to R:…

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM254.jpg
Stock car racing at Starkey Speedway.

BM253.jpg
Stock car racing at Starkey Speedway.

BM252.jpg
Aerial view of Starkey Speedway.

BM248.jpg
Fruit Growers Telephone Exchange (was also Luther Bell’s store) located on Landmark Circle in Roanoke County.

BM247.jpg
Starkey Speedway

BM245.jpg
House across road from Reed's Store on Route 221. The house was formerly the Haran School.

BM243.jpg
Two unidentified persons at Reed's Store.

BM242.jpg
Lula Cole Reed, mother of Marvin “Fats” Reed, at Reed’s Store.

BM239.jpg
Reed's Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM238.jpg
Reed's Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM237.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM235.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM234.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church.

BM233.jpg
Brethren baptism in a creek in Floyd County.

BM230.jpg
Mount Union Church of the Brethren on Bent Mountain. The original 1896 church building is seen. Rev. Oscar Fike (right) and his parents are on the front steps.

BM228.jpg
Gas ration stamps from 1945.

BM225.jpg
“Heading the Barrels” at Doc Ferguson’s orchard. L to R: George Yates, Ben Owens, Mr. Minnix, A. Bohon, Doc Ferguson, Will Hokles, Wiley Lavinder.

BM223.jpg
Spectators at Back Creek Elementary School for Back Creek baseball game.

BM222.jpg
Ralph Henry of the Back Creek Baseball Team. Uniform says Finnell’s, as Finnell & Sons sponsored the team.

BM221.jpg
Present-day residence that was the former Haran School, located at 7910 Bent Mountain Road.

BM207.jpg
Rendering of original log Laurel Ridge Church by Joey Meador.

BM206.jpg
Elders of Pigg River Primitive Baptist Association at Basham Church in Stewartsville, Virginia.

BM205.jpg
Hezekiah Lavinder (seated) and his family at their home (located at entrance to Bridlewood, home still standing) off of Route 221.

BM204.jpg
Bellview Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM203.jpg
Laurel Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM202.jpg
Baptism of Mary Ann Conner, wife of G.W. Conner, by Elder Leonard Brammer of the Laurel Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, at Fralin home.

BM199.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM198.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM196.jpg
Interior of Reed's Store, located at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM195.jpg
Reed’s Store after the 1948 addition of Dairy Diner, located at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM194.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM193.jpg
Marble players at Bent Mountain School. L to R: Hilton King, Herbert Craighead, Namon Conner, Arnold Mills, Melvin Manning (school champion), Harold Thompson, Fletcher Wimmer.

BM192.jpg
May Court at Bent Mountain High School. May Queen (far right) is Carrie Marie Bell; Maid to the Queen (second from right) is Mamie Logan; crown bearer is John Poff, flower girl is Jean Ferguson; Maids are Laura Metz, Bertha Janney, Betty Sisson,…

BM191.jpg
Mount Olivet Baptist Church on Route 221, Bent Mountain.

BM189.jpg
Col. Fletcher Holt in his store on Bent Mountain.

BM188.jpg
Clyde Bohon, who bought Holt’s Store on Bent Mountain.

BM187.jpg
Col. Fletcher Holt with a snake around his neck. Holt was a taxidermist on Bent Mountain

BM186.jpg
Home of Dr. E.O. Tinsley on Bent Mountain. The home was called “Sunny Side”. Tinsley’s office was located on right, front corner of porch. The home was on Tinsley Lane. It was razed in the 2000s.

BM185.jpg
Ruby Holt in front of Holt’s Store on Bent Mountain.

BM184.jpg
Emily Bohon and Bessie Brown

BM183.jpg
Mary Catherine Sloan Poage

BM180.jpg
Kittinger Chapel was located on Landmark Circle in Roanoke County. It was razed in the early 2000s.

BM179.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM178.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM177.jpg
Mary Catherine “Molly” Poage, Sara Poage (standing, left), Harvey Poage (standing, right), Lee Poage (on lap).

BM176.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM175.jpg
Lucy Dyer Poage, Molly Gregson, Jeff Gregson, making apple butter at home in the Poages Mill area.

BM174.jpg
James C. Fralin being baptized in Back Creek at Poages Mill in 1925 by Chris Eller, Brethren minister.

BM170.jpg
Hubert Earl Harris & Ola Agee Harris lived where Starkey ball fields are today.

BM169.jpg
Ballard P. and Sarah Martin

BM167.jpg
Hubert Earl “Hub” Harris.

BM166.jpg
Look Out Lodge postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM164.jpg
Sarah and Ballard Martin in front of home. Ballard was a carpenter and farmer.

BM161.jpg
Bobby, Joyce, Hazel and Robert Altis.

BM160.jpg
Ed and Viola Sloan.

BM159.jpg
Charlie Altis in his apple orchard on hill behind Altice home.

BM158.jpg
Charlie amd Minnie Altis with Forrest and Florence Sloan.

BM157.jpg
Charlie and Minnie Altis home, formerly located on road leading into Old Mill Plantation subdivision from Route 221.

BM154.jpg
L to R: Martha Tinsley, Alrene Stanley, ?, Mauvieleen Altis, Hazel Tinsley, Ethel Stump.

BM153.jpg
Arlene Stanley and Clara Altis at Back Creek Elementary School.

BM152.jpg
Clara Altis and Arlene Stanley.

BM151.jpg
Mauvieleen Altis, Robert Carroll and Arlene Stanley.

BM150.jpg
Mauvieleen Altis in front of house.

BM149.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Photo taken on Easter Sunday shows Roma Stanley (left) and Clarence Altice.

BM148.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Clarence Altis (left) and Robert Carroll.

BM147.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Arlene Stanley on porch.

BM145.jpg
Aerial view to the northeast of current Route 419 at intersection with Ogden Road. Ogden Road is seen at the top of the photo. At top, right is Ogden Elementary School. The area to the right of the railroad tracks is Cox Communications and Old…

BM144.jpg
Aerial view showing Green Valley Elementary School, upper right.

BM143.jpg
Aerial view looking north at Route 419 construction. The house and barn were located at the current site of the Roanoke County Administrative Offices on Bernard Drive. The earth moving equipment is at the current intersection of Route 419 and…

BM142.jpg
Aerial view of Route 419 under construction at Chaparral Drive; Penn Forest Boulevard at bottom.

BM141.jpg
Grandle Meador, Tina, Alice and Buddy Welcher at Beckner home.

BM140.jpg
Mildred and Roscoe Meador wedding photo; Wheeler Beckner on porch.

BM136.jpg
Beckner homeplace on Cotton Hill Road.

BM135.jpg
Wheeler and Bessie Beckner and John Steele (left) at home on Cotton HIll Road. They logged timber for railroad ties.

BM134.jpg
Wheeler and Bessie Beckner in front of home, presently located at 7041 Cotton Hill Road

BM132.jpg
L to R: Arthur “Ott” Poage, Henry Lee Poage, Charles Claytor Poage (1848-1931), Harvey Claytor Poage, David Meador

BM131.jpg
L to R: Henry Lee Poage (1891-1960), Arthur Seibert “Ott” Poage (1897-1971), Harvey Claytor Poage (1893-1928) in front of Poage farmhouse

BM130.jpg
Ed Sloan, auctioneer, with Harold Ferguson in background

BM129.jpg
Johnnie and Bertha Grubb making apple butter.

BM128.jpg
Turner home on Martins Creek Road in its final days.

BM127.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School. Ann Hogan w/tie upper left of group (principal/teacher),

BM125.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School.

BM124.jpg
Miss Annie Bohon sells ice cream during lunch at Back Creek Elementary School. The ice cream cooler was inside the front door of the school.

BM123.jpg
6th graders in Back Creek School classroom.

BM119.jpg
Unidentified children at Back Creek School.

BM118.jpg
Charlie Poage, son of William Poage, with team of horses in front of Poage farmhouse on Route 221.

BM117.jpg
Poage Family in front of engine on farm. L to R: Harvey Poage, Bill Poage, Lee Poage, Lucy Poage

BM116.jpg
Harvey Claytor Poage.

BM115.jpg
Packing label for L.D. Bell and T.M. Bell at Poages Mill.

BM110.jpg
Portion of rock wall, built by Ralph Henry’s great grandfather, along Corntassel Lane. The wall still exists today.

BM108.jpg
Deed to Pine Hill School, formerly located on Twelve O’Clock Knob Road.

BM107.jpg
Charcoal drawing of Henry Booker Wade.

BM106.jpg
1. Isadora Ferguson Wade, 2. William Lee Wade, 3. Oren Wade, 4. Henry Wade, 5. Barney Owens. Photo was taken at the apple orchard at the Wade home. All others unidentified.

BM105.jpg
Margaret Rachel Owens Ferguson and William H. Ferguson.

BM104.jpg
Top photo, pictured: Jim Ferguson, Ivie Ferguson, Herbert Henderson, Maggie Ferguson, Margaret Rachel Ferguson, William H. Ferguson, Bertha Wade, Henry Wade . Bottom photo, pictured L to R: Ivie Ferguson, Jim Ferguson, Icie Ferguson, Aunt Paulina,…

BM103.jpg
L to R: Rachel Ferguson, Walter Ferguson, Ocieola Ferguson, Isadora Ferguson, Ivie Ferguson, Charles Ferguson, James Ferguson, William H. Ferguson

BM102.jpg
Ferguson sisters (top) and Christley home on Mt. Chestnut.

BM101.jpg
W.L. and Icie Wade (seated center) Family.

BM100.jpg
First Mormon chapel in Southwest Roanoke County, located on Bearing Road.

BM097.jpg
Back Creek School students. Pictured are Principal Grant McGee, teacher Ann Hogan, who later married McGee. All others unidentified.

BM096.jpg
Senior Class at Back Creek School

BM095.jpg
Back Creek School girls basketball team. Pictured are Margaret Henry Hartman and Mildred Henry Dimond. All others unidentified.

BM094b.jpg
James and Sarah Henry and three daughters in Poages Mill area.

BM094a.jpg
Home of Samuel Henry.

BM093.jpg
Sarah Rettinger Henry (left) and Nannie Rettinger Grisso.

BM092.jpg
Back Creek 4-H Club.

BM091.jpg
1840 deed for 66 acres belonging to Jane Poage as part of land granted to her from her father, John Poage.

BM090.jpg
Poage home and farm along Route 221.

BM089.jpg
Home of Mary (Mollie) Poage across the creek from the Poage farm on Route 221.

BM085.jpg
Omer Simpson barn on Martins Creek Road.

BM084.jpg
Raleigh “Buck” Owens' spray engine for use in orchard.

BM083.jpg
Sam Hailey and his work mules.

BM082.jpg
Idle band saw at Lamar Martin farm on Martins Creek Road.

Tags:

BM081.jpg
Tilden Martin and Lamar Martin barn on Martins Creek Road.

BM080.jpg
Olvin Martin home, built in 1877, was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM078.jpg
Back row, far left Annie Blankenship Martin, Olvin Martin; far right Louisa Martin, Daniel N. Simpson. Photo taken in front of the Martin-Simpson homeplace on Martins Creek Road. All others unidentified.

BM077.jpg
L to R: Tilden H. Martin, Gertrude Martin Duling, Alfonso Martin, Otey Martin.

BM076.jpg
Nelson Simpson, a resident of Martins Creek Road. Photo probably taken at home of his parents O.C. and Mary Simpson.

BM075.jpg
Omer C. Simpson, Jr., Christine Simpson, Lorene Simpson, residents of Martins Creek Road.

BM074.jpg
Tilden Hendrix Martin, a resident of Martins Creek Road.

BM073.jpg
Alfonso Martin, a resident of Martins Creek Road.

BM072.jpg
Photo taken at Thelma Willett’s home. Seated front, L to R: Marilyn Givens, Norma Jean Martin; Seated middle, L to R: Mae Austin Martin, Pearl Martin Wertz; Standing, L to R: Edith Martin Filson, Dorothy Martin Bass.

BM071.jpg
The woman sitting in the wagon is Annie Blankenship Martin, the man at right is Olvin Martin; American Chestnut in background; photo probably taken in Martins Creek Road area of Roanoke County. All others unidentified.

BM070.jpg
L to R: Ned Martin, Omer .C. Simpson, Jr., Charles Day and Gordon Willett (background) at Haran Baptist Church.

BM069.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School under re-construction.

BM068.jpg
Rock store near Poage Farm on Route 221.

BM067.jpg
Rierson’s Grocery on Route 221.

BM066.jpg
Marvin P. “Fats” Reed at the counter in Reed's Store at the intersection of Martins Creek Road and Route 221.

BM065.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM061.jpg
Back Creek High School. Pictured are: Teachers Grant McGhee, Elsie Kennedy and Ann Hogan McGhee, George Beach, Paul Ferguson, Bowman Ferguson, Clifton Grisso, Wilson Moser, Edwin Garner, Aaron Martin, Clayton Tinnell Sr., Kenneth Grisso, Carl Wade,…

BM059.jpg
Back Creek High School. L to R: Gertie Hopper, Glenna Christley, Camile Lavender, Cleda Grisso, Elsie Christley; man at back is Shelton Gates.

BM058.jpg
Photo taken in front of the Christley Homeplace on Mt. Chestnut Road in Roanoke County; Seated L to R: Margaret Powell Christley, Arlen F. “Pete” Christley; Standing, L to R: Keith B. Christley, Warren Christley, Joyce Christley Clowers, Michael…

BM057.jpg
Former Elijah Poage store/warehouse on Old Mill Road in Poages Mill.

BM056.jpg
Front row, L to R: Louise Christley Williams, George Franklin Christley, Iva Mae Christley Ferguson, Elsie Christley, Bertha Christley, ?, Back row, L to R: Bill Christley, Pauline Christley, Monroe Christley, Thora Christley, Milan Christley,…

BM054.jpg
Front row, L to R: William Gilford Christley Jr., Ivy Mae Christley, Louise Christley, William Gilford Christley Sr., Grant Christley; Back row, L to R: Monroe Christley, Elsie Christley, Milan Christley, Glenna Christley, Bertha Christley, Arlen…

BM053.jpg
L to R: Joe Beard, Mildred Beard, Charles Altis, Effie Beard, Willie Bracy, Mauvieleen Stanley, Clarence Altis

BM052.jpg
L to R: Joe Beard, Effie Beard, Mauvieleen Stanley, Nannie Bracy, Edna Altis, Mary Altis, Nannie Altis, Clarence Altis, Clara Altis, Willie Bracy

BM051.jpg
W.F. Bolton's 8th grade class at Back Creek School.

BM050.jpg
Hazel Tinsley and Mauvieleen S. Altis in front of Back Creek Elementary School.

BM049.jpg
First row, L to R: Albert Turner, ? Webster; Second row, L to R: Janette Turner, Nelson Simpson, ?, O.C. Simpson, Jr., Third row, L to R: Francis Simpson, Colleen Grubb, Christine Simpson, Beatrice Peters, ?, Lorene Simpson; Back row, L to R: Vinson…

BM048.jpg
Omer C. Simpson

BM047.jpg
Omer C. Simpson. Simpson lived on Martins Creek Road.

BM046.jpg
Youth in front of Haran Baptist Church. Front row, L to R: Gaynelle Simpson, Shirley Rierson; Second row, L to R: Preston Webster, Ruby Kirkwood, Nelson Simpson; Back row, L to R: Jimmy Kirkwood, Lorene Simpson, Polly Rierson, Norris Webster

BM045.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM044.jpg
Students in front of Back Creek School.

BM043.jpg
Students in front of Back Creek School.

BM042.jpg
Back Creek School.

BM041.jpg
Back Creek School with "new" addition.

BM039.jpg
Aunt Nadine Henderson takes nephews and nieces for an afternoon ride in Back Creek. Standing L to R: Bobby, Nadine, David and Charles Ed Henderson; On horse L to R: Paige Riley, Ray Henderson Corky, Barbara & Kay Henderson, Brent Riley.

BM036.jpg
Riley T. Fralin, Sr, and Jr. at intersection of Ran Lynn Drive and Poage Valley Road.

BM035.jpg
Fralin home on Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM033.jpg
Fralin barn on Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM032.jpg
Fralin home in Cave Spring.

BM031.jpg
R.T. Fralin, Sr., Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM029.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM028.jpg
Home of John and Susie (Harris) Grisso in Cave Spring, Roanoke County. The home burned in 1946.

BM027.jpg
William and Mary Katherine (Poage) Grisso residents of Cave Spring section in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM026.jpg
Home and family of Daniel Simpson on Martins Creek in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM025.jpg
Louisa (Martin) and Daniel Simpson. The Simpsons lived on Martins Creek Road in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM024.jpg
Mountain burial in family cemetery, probably Martin-Simpson cemetery near Martins Creek Road in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM023.jpg
Family of John and Sarah (Hayes) Harris. L to R: Sarah Jane, William, Lutie, Susie, Elisha, George, John, Eliza, and Benjamin. The family lived in the Back Creek section of Roanoke County.

BM022.jpg
1905 postal receipt for Haran Post Office, signed by “D. Kittinger, postmaster”.

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2