Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room Collection. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (25 total)

BM276.jpg
Cave Spring Volunteer Fire Department.

PC 108.0 Fire House.jpg
"Engine house and headquarters, Roanoke Fire Department, Roanoke, Virginia."

IRB46 Fire Station 10 .jpg
This is a one-two story and part basement of brick veneer, frame and cinder block, ordinary joisted construction with approved roof. Part of first floor concrete, stove heat; indifferent repair. Occupancy: 1617 - Life Saving Station. 1619-21 - Fire…

IRB45 Fire Station 9.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition roof on a concrete slab; Plastered interior finish with exception of basement which is open; concrete basement, terrazzo first floor, wood…

IRB44 Fire Station 8.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with slate roof, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plaster, concrete floors - wood surface on second floor. One stairs basement to…

IRB43 Fire Station 7.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition shingled roof on wood boards over concrete slab, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plastered, concrete floors. One…

IRB42 Fire Station 6.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB41 Fire Station 5.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB40 Fire Station 4.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB39 Fire Station 3.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of ordinary joisted construction with composition roof; open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster, concrete floors with the exception of the second floor which is…

IRB38 Fire Station 2.jpg
This is a two story brick building with composition roof on wood boards. First floor has open interior finish, metal ceiling and concrete floor. Second floor has plastered interior finish and wood floors. One stairs first to second flood. Electric…

IRB37 Fire Station1.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building, metal roof, concrete floors, with the exception of the second which is wood boards, open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster. One stairs basement to first…

Davis 65.7 Fire Station #9.jpg
Fire Station #9 opened on 2 October 1929. It is located at 514 24th Street.

Davis 65.63 Fire Station #8.jpg
Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Fire Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 65.52 Fire Station #6.jpg
Fire Station #6 opened on 5 September 1911 at 1015 Jamison Avenue. It ceased operation as a fire station in 1979. It is now used as a police substation. Fire Station #6 was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1990 and the National Register…

Davis 65.51 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 65.5 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 65.4 Fire Station #4.jpg
Fire Station #4 opened on 5 September 1911. It was located at 323 Highland Avenue in Old Southwest. The station closed in 1965 and the building was purchased by Beth Israel Synagogue. The building was razed in 1967.

Davis 65.31 Fire Station #3.jpg
Fire Station #3, located at 301 6th Street. Though the building still exists, it is not longer used as a fire station.

Davis 65.12 Fire Station #1.jpg
Ladder #1 (left), a 1918 Seagrave, sits next to the Chief's car, a Hudson, and Engine #1 (right) at Fire Station #1. Fireman on Ladder #1, from L to R: Elsie J. Knowles, __Shillins, James E. Updike, Harry Grubb, Raymond N. Wills, Harry J. Daniels…

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

Davis 65.022 Junior Hose Company #2.jpg
Members of the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 and the Junior Hose Company #2 stand in front of Vigilante Fire Station #1 shortly before escorting the body of Mayor William Carr to his burial in City Cemetery.

Davis 65.021 Vigilante Fire Station.jpg
Vigilante Fire Station #1 stood on the northeast corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Shown here shortly before completion in 1888, the fire station remained in use until 1907 when the "new" Station #1 was built on Church Avenue. Prior to the…

Davis 65.01 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Friendship Fire Company Station #3 once stood roughly where the main post office is today in the 400 block of Rutherford Avenue. The company was formed to protect the northeast quadrant of the city. It was an active fire station until 1951. The…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2