Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (45 total)

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

PC 108.0 Fire House.jpg
"Engine house and headquarters, Roanoke Fire Department, Roanoke, Virginia."

IRB46 Fire Station 10 .jpg
This is a one-two story and part basement of brick veneer, frame and cinder block, ordinary joisted construction with approved roof. Part of first floor concrete, stove heat; indifferent repair. Occupancy: 1617 - Life Saving Station. 1619-21 - Fire…

IRB45 Fire Station 9.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition roof on a concrete slab; Plastered interior finish with exception of basement which is open; concrete basement, terrazzo first floor, wood…

IRB44 Fire Station 8.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with slate roof, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plaster, concrete floors - wood surface on second floor. One stairs basement to…

IRB43 Fire Station 7.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition shingled roof on wood boards over concrete slab, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plastered, concrete floors. One…

IRB42 Fire Station 6.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB41 Fire Station 5.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB40 Fire Station 4.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB39 Fire Station 3.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of ordinary joisted construction with composition roof; open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster, concrete floors with the exception of the second floor which is…

IRB38 Fire Station 2.jpg
This is a two story brick building with composition roof on wood boards. First floor has open interior finish, metal ceiling and concrete floor. Second floor has plastered interior finish and wood floors. One stairs first to second flood. Electric…

IRB37 Fire Station1.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building, metal roof, concrete floors, with the exception of the second which is wood boards, open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster. One stairs basement to first…

Davis 65.941 Norfolk and Western Office Fire.jpg
A fire broke out at the Norfolk & Western General Offices on 4 January 1896. N&W employees salvaged some furnishings and supplies as fire swept through the building. Unfortunately, the building was a total loss.

Davis 65.938 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy Exchange Store alarm was struck at 1:21pm on 31 August 1928. This photo was taken not long after the fire started. Both city ladder trucks were on the scene to combat the fire in the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.937 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Despite the efforts of Roanoke firemen, the Philip Levy Exchange store could not be saved. After burning for two hours, the building collapsed.

Davis 65.936 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Ladder trucks 1 and 2 were utilized to fight the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store, which was burning on the top floors of the four story building.

Davis 65.935 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Firemen attempt to extinguish the fire at the Philip Levy Exchange Store at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.934 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue. Both city ladder trucks were utilized in an attempt to extinguish the fire, which was burning on the top…

Davis 65.933 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
Even after the building's collapse, firemen continue to hose down the smoldering rubble that was once the Philip Levy Exchange Store.

Davis 65.93 Philip Levy Store Fire.jpg
The Philip Levy and Company furniture store caught fire for the second time on 31 August 1928. Philip Levy was located at 118 Salem Avenue.

Davis 65.921 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.92 NW Pugh Fire.jpg
The NW Pugh Department Store caught fire on 3 February 1935. The store was located at 35 Campbell Avenue. Spectators watch as Roanoke Fire Department extinguishes the fire.

Davis 65.86 Steamer #2.jpg
Steamer #2 was purchased by Norfolk & Western and placed into service in September 1907. It is shown here stored at Station #9.

Davis 65.81 Fire Equipment Test.jpg
Testing of fire fighting equipment by the river.

Davis 65.8 Fire Station 7.jpg
Fire Station #7 opened on 13 December 1922. It is located at 1742 Memorial Avenue.

Davis 65.7 Fire Station #9.jpg
Fire Station #9 opened on 2 October 1929. It is located at 514 24th Street.

Davis 65.63 Fire Station #8.jpg
Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Fire Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 65.52 Fire Station #6.jpg
Fire Station #6 opened on 5 September 1911 at 1015 Jamison Avenue. It ceased operation as a fire station in 1979. It is now used as a police substation. Fire Station #6 was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1990 and the National Register…

Davis 65.51 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 65.5 Fire Station #5.jpg
Fire Station #5 opened on 5 September 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building remains at 216 12th Street.

Davis 65.4 Fire Station #4.jpg
Fire Station #4 opened on 5 September 1911. It was located at 323 Highland Avenue in Old Southwest. The station closed in 1965 and the building was purchased by Beth Israel Synagogue. The building was razed in 1967.

Davis 65.31 Fire Station #3.jpg
Fire Station #3, located at 301 6th Street. Though the building still exists, it is not longer used as a fire station.

Davis 65.3 Fire Station #3.jpg
The building that housed Fire Station #3 still exists at 301 6th Street, but is now privately owned. Shown here at left is Engine #3, a Seagrave Brasshead next to Ladder #2, also a Seagrave.

Davis 65.2 Fire Station #11.jpg
Fire Station #11, located at 1502 Riverland Road. Station #11 opened on 14 March 1964.

Davis 65.12 Fire Station #1.jpg
Ladder #1 (left), a 1918 Seagrave, sits next to the Chief's car, a Hudson, and Engine #1 (right) at Fire Station #1. Fireman on Ladder #1, from L to R: Elsie J. Knowles, __Shillins, James E. Updike, Harry Grubb, Raymond N. Wills, Harry J. Daniels…

Davis 65.11 Fire Station #1.jpg
Fire Station #1, located at 13 Church Avenue, was completed in 1907. The building, now on the National Register of Historic Places, was in service as a fire station for 100 years. A horse-drawn hose wagon (left) and ladder truck are seen in front of…

Davis 65.1 Firemen at Station #1.jpg
Fireman in front of Station #1 on Church Avenue. 1st row, L to R: William Sink, Fredrick W. Bladon, Chief James F. McFall, Stephen C. Snead and Cleveland Carper Meador. 2nd row, L to R: Walter H. Via, James W. Nichols, Robert M. Hancock, George W.…

Davis 65.022 Junior Hose Company #2.jpg
Members of the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 and the Junior Hose Company #2 stand in front of Vigilante Fire Station #1 shortly before escorting the body of Mayor William Carr to his burial in City Cemetery.

Davis 65.021 Vigilante Fire Station.jpg
Vigilante Fire Station #1 stood on the northeast corner of Jefferson Street and Kirk Avenue. Shown here shortly before completion in 1888, the fire station remained in use until 1907 when the "new" Station #1 was built on Church Avenue. Prior to the…

Davis 65.02 Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1.jpg
Firemen from the Vigilante Steam Fire Company #1 post in front of the original Fire Station #1 (formerly located at Campbell Avenue and 1st Street) prior to the funeral of Mayor William Carr. 1st row, L to R: Thomas Engleby, __ Harris, __ Shank, __…

Davis 65.012 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Roanoke firefighters line up for a Labor Day parade at the present corner of Jefferson Street and Church Avenue. W.P. Mundy livery stable is in the background.

Davis 65.01 Friendship Fire Company #3.jpg
Friendship Fire Company Station #3 once stood roughly where the main post office is today in the 400 block of Rutherford Avenue. The company was formed to protect the northeast quadrant of the city. It was an active fire station until 1951. The…

RNC 10 Fire Station 7.jpg
Fire Station 7, located at 1742 Memorial Avenue.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2