Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (20 total)

RVNH40521.jpg
Firemen at Fire Station No. 1. Left to right: Earl Hawkins, Charles Nolley, James Nichols, William Barker, Edward Barker, Ernest Buford, Daniel Sink, Leonard Black, Maynard Peters, Eslie Knowles, and Earnest Ferguson.

RVNH40520.jpg
Fireman drafted into military service at Fire Station No. 1.

RVNH40519.jpg
Lester Kelly in Engine 10, a 1940 Dodge fire truck at the Williamson Road Station. The Williamson Road Station was annexed into the city on 1 January 1949

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

IRB46 Fire Station 10 .jpg
This is a one-two story and part basement of brick veneer, frame and cinder block, ordinary joisted construction with approved roof. Part of first floor concrete, stove heat; indifferent repair. Occupancy: 1617 - Life Saving Station. 1619-21 - Fire…

IRB45 Fire Station 9.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition roof on a concrete slab; Plastered interior finish with exception of basement which is open; concrete basement, terrazzo first floor, wood…

IRB44 Fire Station 8.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with slate roof, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plaster, concrete floors - wood surface on second floor. One stairs basement to…

IRB43 Fire Station 7.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of semi-fire resistive construction with composition shingled roof on wood boards over concrete slab, open interior finish with exception of second floor which is plastered, concrete floors. One…

IRB42 Fire Station 6.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB41 Fire Station 5.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB40 Fire Station 4.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building with slate roof. First floor, open interior finish with metal ceiling; second floor, plaster. Concrete floors with exception of second floor which is wood boards. One stairs basement to second…

IRB39 Fire Station 3.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building of ordinary joisted construction with composition roof; open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster, concrete floors with the exception of the second floor which is…

IRB38 Fire Station 2.jpg
This is a two story brick building with composition roof on wood boards. First floor has open interior finish, metal ceiling and concrete floor. Second floor has plastered interior finish and wood floors. One stairs first to second flood. Electric…

IRB37 Fire Station1.jpg
This is a two story and part basement brick building, metal roof, concrete floors, with the exception of the second which is wood boards, open interior finish with the exception of the second floor which is plaster. One stairs basement to first…

Davis 65.64 Fire Station #8.jpg
Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Fire Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 65.6 Fire Station #8.jpg
Fireman of Firestation #8. Located at 2328 Crystal Spring Avenue, Station #8 opened on 23 January 1929 and still serves the community today.

Davis 65.511 Fire Station #5.jpg
Firemen of Fire Station #5. Station #5 opened in 1911. While no longer used as a fire station, the building still stands at 216 12th Street NW.

MP 25.0 Roanoke Fire Department.jpg
Unidentified Roanoke fireman pose on fire truck.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2