Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (4917 total)

RVNH4021.jpg
An unidentified man in the reeling room at American Viscose.

RVNH4020.jpg
An unidentified woman works with strands of silk at American Viscose.

RVNH4009.jpg
Forbes-Hodges family reunion in Wirtz, Virginia.

RVNH4008.jpg
Wanderers of the Wasteland musical group. Left to right: Roy Lemmon, Bob Pauley, Glenwood Howell, and Woody "Lucky" Mashburn.

RVNH4007.jpg
Houses along Dale Avenue SE.

RVNH4006.jpg
A section of the Southeast neighborhood. Jamison School visible in the background.

RVNH4005.jpg
As indicated by the caption, "a Southeast kiddie pool in the back yard with chickens" The child is Roy Minnix.

RVNH4004.jpg
A group of young men at home located at 926 (later 1100 block) 14th Street SE. Roy Minnix is in the back row, second from right.

RVNH4003.jpg
The Jackson Park Sandlot Football Team. Coach Sam Elliott on far right in back row.

RVNH4002.jpg
A large crowd gathers to view the damage after a fireworks explosion at the Junior Grocery on Franklin Road.

RVNH4001.jpg
A fireworks explosion leveled the Junior Grocery located at 205 Franklin Road SW. Five people were injured in the explosion.

MarstellerCollection1.pdf
The Marsteller Corporation Records Collection contains acknowledgements of orders placed for grave markers. Orders in this collection begin in 1911 and continue through 1960; missing orders include the years 1915 and 1916, 1920-1924, 1938-1941…

Oral History Interview with Michael Blankenship
Interviewer: Monica Taft
Interviewee: Michael Blankenship
Date: 21 February 2020
Location: Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, 301 Patton Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia
Total Duration:…

Rhame, Ashley (compressed).mp3
Oral History Interview with Ashley Rhame
Interviewer: Julian Edwards
Interviewee: Ashley Rhame
Date: 23 February 2020
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia
Total Duration: 66:45
Transcription prepared by: Julian Edwards,…

Cobb, Joe-1.MP3
Oral History Interview with Joe Cobb
Interviewer: Eve Allen
Interviewee: Joe Cobb
Date: 21 February 2020
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia
Total Duration: 82:58 (in four parts)
Transcription prepared by: Miranda…

Preston, Nathaniel.MP3
Oral History Interview with Nathaniel Preston
Interviewer: Sebastian Harlow
Interviewee: Nathaniel Preston
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia
Date: 22 February 2020
Total Duration: 64:59
Transcription prepared by: Cody…

GB135 Rev. L. L. Downing.jpg
Rev. Lylburn L. Downing of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church.

GB130 Millie Paxton.jpg
Millie Paxton.

GB128.jpg
St. Gerard’s Catholic Church.

GB127.jpg
St. John’s AME Zion Church.

GB124.jpg
Group portrait

Tags:

GB123.jpg
Group of children participating in a pageant or play.

Tags:

GB122.jpg
Group of children sitting in a room.

Tags:

GB121.jpg
Geneva Ford, library staff member, at the Gainsboro Library.

GB120.1.jpg
Children posing in front of a Book Week display at the Gainsboro Library.

GB120.jpg
Children posing in front of a Book Week display at the Gainsboro Library.

GB119.jpg
Mother and infant at the Gainsboro Library.

GB118.jpg
Children working on a project at the Gainsboro Library.

GB117.jpg
Children reading books at the Gainsboro Library.

GB116.jpg
Young man reaching for a book at the Gainsboro Library

GB115.jpg
Gainsboro Library display with Virginia Y. Lee.

GB114.jpg
Library display at the Gainsboro Library.

GB113.jpg
Virginia Y. Lee at the Gainsboro Library.

GB112.1.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior.

GB112.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior.

GB111.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior, child sitting at a table.

GB110.2.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior, with children.

GB110.1.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior, with children.

GB110.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior, with children.

GB109.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior. Virginia Y. Lee, center.

GB108.jpg
Gainsboro Library, interior, with a group of library patrons. YMCA location.

GB107.jpg
Group of children in front of the Gainsboro Library.

GB106.jpg
Children dressed in costume in front of the Gainsboro Library.

GB105.jpg
Gainsboro Library, exterior, with a children’s class.

GB104.1 Economy Shoe Repair.jpg
Economy Shoe Repair on Henry Street.

GB104 Economy Shoe Repair.jpg
Economy Shoe Repair on Henry Street. Shop owner Earnest O. Greene.

GB103.jpg
Unidentified group photograph of men at a table.

GB102.jpg
Unidentified group photograph of women.

Tags:

GB101.jpg
Unidentified group photograph at night.

Tags:

GB100.jpg
Group of women in formal attire in front of a stage with instruments.

Tags:

GB099 Gainsboro School.jpg
Gainsboro School First Grade Class 1946. Teacher Mattie Bell Morris (back row).

GB098.jpg
Teachers on an Appalachian Electric Power Company Tour. First from left, Hollis Williams (Carver High); fourth from left, unnamed but identified as a Home Economics teacher at Addison; first from right, Coach Cannanday (Carver High); third from…

GB097.jpg
Group portrait of teachers. Front row seated, second from left, Mattie Bell Morris; third from left, Sadie Lawson; front row seated, first on right, Marie Bailey; third from right, Ms. Hackley. Back row, fourth from left, Ms. Hackley.

GB096 Ella F. Bowden.jpg
Ella F. Bowden, First Librarian of the Gainsboro Library, 1921-1923.

GB095 Rev. Arthur L. James.jpg
Rev. Arthur L. James, First Baptist Church.

GB094.6 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094.5 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094.4 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094.3 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094.2 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094.1 Burrell Memorial Hosptial 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB094 Burrell Memorial Hospital 1955.jpg
Burrell Memorial Hospital. Construction of the 1955 building.

GB093 Order of the Eastern Star.jpg
Order of the Eastern Star group photograph.

GB091 Order of the Eastern Star.jpg
Order of the Eastern Star group photograph in front of the Allegany-Dunbar Freemason’s Prince Hall.

GB087 Ebenezer A.M.E. Church.jpg
Ebenezer A. M. E. Church.

GB081 Virginia Y. Lee at the Gainsboro Library.jpg
Virginia Y. Lee at the Gainsboro Library.

GB080.1 Gainsboro Library (at the Odd Fellows Hall Location).jpg
Gainsboro Library when it was located in the old Odd Fellows/YMCA Building. “First persons to register at GB.” Right to Left: Mrs. Sally Lawson, C. C. Williams, J. L. Reid, Mrs. E. R. Dudley, Rev. A. L. James, Dr. E. R. Dudley and Mrs. Ida Closs

GB080 Gainsboro Library Reading Club (at the Odd Fellows Hall Location).jpg
Gainsboro Library when it was located in the old Odd Fellows/YMCA Building. Gainsboro Reading Club

GB079 Virginia Y. Lee (left) and an Unidentified Woman at the Gainsboro Library.jpg
Virginia Y. Lee and unidentified woman in front of the Gainsboro Library.

GB078 Women's Professional and Business Club.jpg
Woman’s Professional & Business Club.

GB077.1 Unidentified Group in front of a Transformer Station.jpg
Unidentified group photograph in front of a transformer station.

GB077 Unidentified Group in front of a Transformer Station.jpg
Unidentified group photograph in front of a transformer station.

GB075 Mr. Dowe (far right) and Rev. Edwards (third from right).jpg
Unidentified man playing piano and unidentified woman singing. Far right: Mr. Dowe and third from right: Rev. Edwards.

GB074 Rev. Douglas and Unidentified Woman.jpg
Rev. Douglas and unidentified woman.

GB073.1 Bishop L. E. Willis and Shadrack Brown Jr.jpg
Bishop L. E. Willis and Shadrack Brown Jr.

GB073 Bishop L. E. Willis, Wilbert McNair, Shadrack Brown Jr., Samuel Wade and Norton B. Wilder.jpg
Bishop L. E. Willis, Wilbert McNair, Shadrack Brown Jr., Samuel Wade, and Norton B. Wilder.

GB072.3 Frist Baptist Church Gainsboro, Dr. Noel C. Taylor.jpg
First Baptist Church of Gainsboro. Dr. Noel C. Taylor.

GB072.1 First Baptist Church Gainsboro, Rev. Charles Green.jpg
First Baptist Church Gainsboro. Rev. Charles Green.

GB072 First Baptist Church Gainsboro, Roy Williams.jpg
First Baptist Church of Gainsboro. Roy Williams.

GB071 Dinner at the Hunton Branch YMCA.jpg
Dinner at the Hunton Branch YMCA, Gainsboro Road. Circa late 1930’s or Early 1940’s.

GB041.jpg
Group photograph.. Dr. Harry Penn, back row, first from left.

GB040 Dr. Harry Penn, second from right, back row, plaid suit.jpg
Large group at a long table. Dr. Harry Penn, second from right, back row, plaid suit.

GB039 John Claytor III, Sandra Clytor, John B. Claytor Jr. and Ruth Claytor, Easter 1969.jpg

Left to right: John Claytor III, Sandra Elizabeth Claytor Peery, John B. Claytor Jr., and Ruth Williams Claytor. “Easter 1969.”

GB037 Group in front of Canada's Ice Cream.jpg
Group photograph with Ruth Claytor (in light colored coat) in front of Canada’s Ice Cream on Henry Street.

GB036 Dr. Elwood D. Downing, front far left.jpg
Dr. Elwood D. Downing, front far left, and an unidentified group of men.

GB035 Dr. John B. Claytor Jr..jpg
Dr. John B. Claytor Jr.

GB028 Virginia Y. Lee with Unidentified Woman.jpg
Virginia Y. Lee and unknown woman.

GB022 Atwood's Capitol View Tours.jpg
Group photograph with Atwood’s Capitol View Tours bus.

GB014 Girls' Athletics Group and Spectators.jpg
Girls’ athletics group and spectators.

GB005 Aladdin Temple #34.jpg
Aladdin Temple #34 on parade, Patton Avenue in front of St. Andrew’s Catholic Church.. “Miss Bertha White, Ill. Commandress, Roanoke, VA.”

Gainsboro Library Records (2).pdf
This is a guide to the Gainsboro Library Records Collection. The collection consists of items related to the history of the Gainsboro Branch Library of Roanoke Public Libraries. The collection dates from 1920 to 2009.

SteinbergDavidH.pdf
The collection consists of 1 box containing 12 folders. Included in the box are the original manuscript and photocopies of the typed 318 pages, photocopies of trolley photographs, and correspondence about the collection. The manuscript compilation…

Ruffner Rock 1977.pdf
The Ruffner Rock was the annual for William Ruffner Middle School

ReedMyer.mp3
Oral History Interview with Myer S. Reed
Interviewer: G.S. Rosenthal
Date: 21 October 2019
Location: Roanoke Public Library
Duration: 1:13:49
Transcription prepared by: Megan Reynolds and Kierra Burda

ErvinAmanda.MP3
Oral History Interview with Amanda Ervin
Interviewer: Vanessa Dotson and Miu Iwasaki
Date: 2 October 2019
Location: Salvation Army
Duration: 45:22
Transcription prepared by: Kierra Burda

Nicole.MP3
Oral History Interview with Nicole
Interviewer: Shannon Baker
Date: 7 October 2019
Location: Salvation Army
Duration: 35:19
Transcription prepared by: Shannon Baker and Paul Martin

J.MP3
Oral History Interview with J
Interviewer: Samantha Meyer
Date: 25 October 2019
Location: Salvation Army
Duration: 40:42
Transcription prepared by: Liz Lee and Megan Reynolds

Mitchell-PetersShaNeika.MP3
Oral History Interview with ShaNeika Mitchell-Peters
Interviewer: Grace Priddy
Date: 9 October 2019
Location: Williamson Road Branch Library
Duration: 56:05
Transcription prepared by: Garrett Channell, Grace Priddy, Rebecca Smith

RNRV54.jpg
Roanoke College baseball team.

RNRV53.jpg
Roanoke College football team.

RNRV52.jpg
Women on a Daughters of Liberty float, likely for a Liberty Bonds parade.

RNRV51.jpg
Henry P. McGuire stands in a J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

RNRV50.jpg
A streetcar travels along Campbell Avenue near the intersection with Jefferson Street. Terry Building visible at right.

RNRV49.jpg
Ambulance in front of Burrell Memorial Hospital. Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany…

RNRV48.jpg
Chief of Police W. J. Rigney (front passenger) with other unidentified police officers.

RNRV47.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. Danmore at their home at 413 3rd Street NW.

RNRV46.jpg
J.E. Blackwell Grocery, formerly located at 4 Market Square.

RNRV45.jpg
A busy day at the intersection of Campbell Avenue and Jefferson Street. The Terry Building is visible in the background.

RNRV44.jpg
Roanoke Railway & Electric streetcar conductors.

RNRV42.jpg
Norfolk & Western baseball team.

RNRV41.jpg
Norfolk & Western employees in front of Norfolk & Western offices.

RNRV40.jpg
Eagles Band.

RNRV39.jpg
Auto Tire Shop, formerly located at 501 2nd Street SW.

RNRV38.jpg
Horse and buggy in Downtown Roanoke.

RNRV37.jpg
Workers deliver ice for Roanoke Ice Corporation. Roanoke Ice Corportation began operations in 1913 after Consumer Ice Company and Griggs Packing Company.

RNRV36.jpg
Group photo of members of Enon Baptist Church.

RNRV35.jpg
Rockledge Inn on Mill Mountain.

RNRV34.jpg
Presentation of an auto to Reverend W. E. Lee, of High Street Baptist Church for the church’s 41st anniversary.

RNRV33.jpg
Crystal Spring reservoir and pump house. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

RNRV32.jpg
Shooting gallery, The Thriller rollercoaster, and bowling alley at Mountain Park.

RNRV31.jpg
W.J. Rigney was Chief of Police for the City of Roanoke from 1921 through 1928.

RNRV30.jpg
Family Photo: Front row, 6th from left Isabell Clingenpeel, 7th from left Carl Steele, 8th from left Helen Clingenpeel, 9th from left Lewis Clingenpeel; Back row, 11th from left John Beckner, 12th from left Jackson Beckner, and 13th from left Ann…

RNRV29.jpg
At left is Alma Beckner Steele with two unidentified women.

RNRV28.jpg
Photo of members of the Steele Family. Front row, 3rd from left: Carl Steele; Back row, 3rd from left John Steele, 4th from left Alma Steele. All others unidentified.

RNRV27.jpg
Two unidentified men in a park.

RNRV26.jpg
Three unidentified men in a peach orchard,

Tags:

RNRV25.jpg
Three unidentified men and a little girl pose with a Mitchell automobile.

RNRV24.jpg
Wagon pulled by oxen travels through an unidentified residential neighborhood.

RNRV23.jpg
Looking north from South Roanoke toward Downtown. Tinker Mountain is visible in the background.

RNRV22.jpg
Dance Pavilion and The Thriller rollercoaster in Mountain Park.

RNRV21.jpg
Farmer in wagon pulled by oxen on Market Street.

RNRV20.jpg
Customers peruse the City Market.

RNRV19.jpg
Popcorn stand at Mountain Park. Lillie Solleday on right.

RNRV18.jpg
Check Room and Snack Stand in Mountain Park.

RNRV17.jpg
Parade participants for Confederate veterans ride a float through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV16.jpg
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV15.jpg
Confederate veterans parade through Downtown in conjunction with reunion.

RNRV14.jpg
Vest Furniture Company, formerly located at 109 Campbell Avenue SW. Sid Vest, owner, is pictured in white shirt.

RNRV13.jpg
Professor Charles Rowe and his Rhythm Boys perform for a Veterans of Foreign Wars banquet at the Hotel Roanoke.

RNRV12.jpg
Dr. John Gibson Davis.

RNRV11.jpg
Edith Davis Paine holds an air rifle at the Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV10.jpg
Zora and Dr. John G. Davis and children with longtime housekeeper, Vivvie.

RNRV9.jpg
Ruth Mason (left) and Edith Davis Paine.

RNRV8.jpg
William Henry and Rosa Proffit Paine with children Helen and Robert Edward.

RNRV6.jpg
Dr. John Gibson Davis (2nd from right) with his sons Hal, Algie, Fred, John Jr., and Paul. Dr. Davis' sons also became doctors.

RNRV5.jpg
Paul, Edith, and Frangie Davis with Frank the horse at Davis home on Salem Avenue.

RNRV4.jpg
Dr. Paul Davis holds his daughter Pauline while on leave during World War I. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre for his service in French hospitals.

RNRV2.jpg
An unidentified man stands on the rock formation known as McAfee Knob. McAfee Knob is one of the most photographed places on the Appalachian Trail.

RNRV1.jpg
Group photo of Appalachian Power Company workers in Anawalt, West Virginia to install power lines. Arch Stockton holds rolled blue prints and reins of horse.

Addisonian1962.pdf
The Addisonian was the annual for Lucy Addison High School.

JuniorLeague.pdf
The Junior League of the Roanoke Valley (JLRV) Records Collection consists of materials generated by the League throughout its existence. Items include administrative documents, annual reports, new clippings, newsletters, information regarding JLRV…

CooperVirginia.pdf
The Virginia Cooper papers consist of records, publications and research notes pertaining to Revolutionary War patriot William Faris of Cumberland and Roanoke Counties, Virginia, son Benjamin Faris and their families. The collection includes…

Shareef.mp4
This presentation was given as part of the Kegley Lecture Series at the Historical Society of Western Virginia by Dr. Reginald Shareef.

CS 101.jpg
Freemasons

Tags:

CS 072.4.jpg
William Bernard Robertson, far right.

CS 072.3.jpg
Unidentified woman speaking.

CS 072.1.jpg
A. Byron Smith

CS 019.1.jpg
William D. Coleman, principal of Loudon Elementary School.

CS 017.1.jpg
Sallye Coleman

CS 200.1.jpg
Debutante Ball

CS 199.jpg
Dr. Walter S. Claytor and Nurse Daisy Schley pictured with a patient

CS 197.jpg
Reverend Robert James Jr. and his family. His wife Bernice is pictured center with the Reverend to her right.

CS 196.1.jpg
Unknown school play or assembly

CS 195.jpg
Unknown assembly audience

CS 194.jpg
First Baptist Church

CS 193.jpg
Unknown makeup artist, possibly at the Booker T. Washington Trade School in Franklin County, VA

CS 192.jpg
Pictured: Mr. J. Lovelle Taylor (Freemason)

CS 191.jpg
Either Saint Paul United Methodist Church or First Baptist Church. Identified: Constance Johnson (first row, far right), Mary Jeffries? (front row, second from the left)

CS 188.jpg
Unknown school play, possibly on American history

CS 185.jpg
Downing family portrait. Dr. Ellwood Downing pictured center-right and his wife Della Downing pictured center-left

CS 184.jpg
Della Downing pictured on the left side, second from the back

CS 182.jpg
Church service.

CS 181.jpg
Front row (left to right): Reginald Clark, Reverend Ulsa Broady, MiKenley Craighead, Mason. Middle row (left to right): Murall Yvall, Mitchell Hankis, Robert Scaks, Alex Hancock. Back row (left to right): Armstead, E.C. Preston, Abner Jones, Joe…

CS 180.jpg
Ruth Lash pictured on the left, in front of Harrison School

CS 177.jpg
Unknown group portrait outside a Piedmont Airlines plane

CS 176.jpg
Group portrait holding commemorative Booker T. Washington stamps at the Booker T. Washington Memorial in Franklin County, VA

CS 171.jpg
Unknown female’s exchange of an envelope

CS 170.jpg
Identified: Mary March (center), Samuel Williams (front row, far left), Charell (front row, second from left), Gilbert March (front row, second from right), and O.W. Jones (front row, far right)

CS 168.jpg
Unknown church event.

CS 166.jpg
Unknown audience

CS 045.2.jpg
Possible debutante portrait. Envelope: Ms. Ida Kerne

CS 165.jpg
Picture made at YMCA Gainsboro Rd. and Patton Ave. Heller Kindergarten.

CS 164.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 163.jpg
Unknown group portrait

CS 162.1.jpg
Esquire Club. From left to right: Jeremiah Robertson Sr., John Dillon, unidentified, Walter Allen, Jack Hilton, unidentified, Mose Lipscomb, Lilburn Hilton, William Johns, Alton Sharper, Joe, unidentified, unidentified, Thomas Robertson, George…

CS 161.jpg
Classroom portrait. Ronnie Jordan (?) pictured top left by the door

CS 160.jpg
Classroom portrait. Ruth Anderson identified top left by the tree. Ms. Taylor, the teacher, identified in the center of the second row

CS 159.jpg
Unknown group portrait, possibly Sunday school or another church-related event

CS 158.jpg
Alphas Sorority and Fraternity pictured in front of St. Andrews Catholic Church

CS 150.jpg
Unknown textile factory workers

CS 144.2.jpg
Debutante Ball

CS 144.1.jpg
Debutante Ball

CS 143.jpg
Heller Kindergarten portrait made behind the Gainsboro Library during the May Day festival

CS 142.jpg
Unknown church service

Tags: ,

CS 141.1.jpg
Group portrait of the Dining Car Employees or The Moles on Henry St. Front row (left to right): Ruth Anderson, Hazel Hall, Hershey Steptoe (Mary Steptoe), James or Pete Woodliff, Irene or Estelle Woodliff. Back row (left to right): Gertrude Logan,…

CS 140.1.jpg
Group portrait. Front row (left to right): first 2 unidentified, Mary Jeffries, Juanita Ford, unidentified, Mrs. Brown or B. Kasey. Back row: S. Ford (?), Bill Thompson, W. Jeffries (?), Al Holland Sr., unidentified

CS 139.jpg
Group portrait. From left to right: first 2 unidentified, Dorothy Sheppeson (?) Greene, Odelle Mebane, Eunice Poindexter, unidentified, Alma Finney Tyree Robertson (?), unidentified, Nina Chanlton (?) Bolden, Ed Green, Markhiem or Macklain

CS 137.jpg
Same church as CS 136, possibly a pageant.

CS 136.2.jpg
Unknown church event

CS 135.jpg
Portrait of Joseph Fuller Jr

CS 134.4.jpg
Group portrait. First row (left to right): Rev. Metz Coker, Patricia Waller Henry, Jack Watson, next 2 unidentified, McCarthy Woods. Second row: Leroy Campbell, next 4 unidentified, Valerie Lash. Third row: Ms. Woods, Mr. Williams, Mr. Meadows, next…

CS 133.1.jpg
St. Paul’s Methodist Church. Far-right corner: Marionetta Sprauve Shaw (far left corner is unidentified). First row (left to right): Lillie Patterson, unidentified, Christine Payne or Arnesia Keeling Payne, unidentified, Fizer-Simmons. Second row…

CS 130.jpg
Group portrait. From left to right: Patricia Waller, Ruth Anderson, Edna Prunty, Delia or Leila Bryant, unidentified, Fulford, unidentified, Maxine Thomas, unidentified, Mrs. Broady

CS 129.1.jpg
Unknown group portrait, possibly a sorority

CS 128.1.jpg
Debutante Ball

CS 127.2.jpg
The Harrison Baseball Team. 1928-1930. Numerical order: 1. Crawford 2. Jim Jones 3. Bob Jefferson 4. Jess Smith 5. “Bubber” McAfee 6. Edward Calloway 7. Bobley Colson 8. Lee Calloway 9. Jack Calloway 10. Banks 11. Matthews 12. “Wildman” Coffer 13.…

CS 126.1.jpg
Freemasons outside Prince Hall. Front row (left to right): Frank Broady, unidentified, J. Luvelle Taylor, unidentified, Beane, unidentified. Middle row (left to right): unidentified, Robert Scales?, unidentified, Clifton Whitworth, next 2…

CS 125.2.jpg
Front row (left to right): A. Byron Smith, Nina Medley, Lessie Polk, Raymond Polk

CS 125.1.jpg
Gift exchange

CS 123.1.jpg
Dr. J.H. Roberts and his wife pictured at Christmastime

CS 122.12.jpg
Gathering for Hunton Crew INC.

CS 122.7.jpg
Gathering for Hunton Crew INC.

CS 122.6.jpg
Gathering for Hunton Crew INC. Far left corner--Richard Penly and Mrs. Shirlene Penly. Estelle McCadden is pictured 3rd from the right in the first row of chairs and Mr. Lewis Peery is pictured in the farthest row, 2nd from the left

CS 122.5.jpg
Gathering for Hunton Crew INC.

CS 122.2.jpg
Gathering for Hunton Crew INC.

CS 121.4.jpg
Hunton Life Saving Crew

CS 120.1.jpg
High Street Baptist Church Sanctuary Choir. Front row (left to right): Marilyn Curtis, next 2 unidentified, Frances Keene, Barbara Taylor, William Keene (Buster), Broady or Brown. Back row (left to right): unidentified, Rev. Ulas Broady, rest…

CS 118.jpg
Unknown portrait of two working females, possibly waitresses

CS 114.jpg
Envelope: Rev. Horatio Edwards

CS 113.jpg
Award reception. Envelope: Mary Rayford, Audrey Wheaton’s Mom

CS 112.4.jpg
Pictured: Far left: Elmer Thomas. Far right: Maxine Thomas

CS 112.3.jpg
Debutante portrait

Tags:

CS 112.2.jpg
Debutante portrait

Tags:

CS 112.1.jpg
Debutante portrait

Tags:

CS 111.jpg
Colonial Stores storefront

CS 108.2.jpg
Unknown male walking in an aisle past an audience, possibly a debutante escort

CS 106.jpg
Debutante ball

CS 105.jpg
Freemasons. Herbert Shovley identified in the front row on the far lefthand side

CS 104.jpg
Unknown group portrait

CS 103.jpg
Unknown ceremony or an award reception

CS 102.jpg
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. Front row (left to right): Donna Lee, Elizabeth Thomas or Coltman, Carolyn Patterson (or Koger?), Nadine Davis Wheaton, Sadie B. Lawson. Middle row (left to right): Katy Wheaton? (or Butler), rest unidentified. Back row…

CS 100.jpg
Group portrait not identified.

CS 099.3.jpg
Group Portrait. St. Matthew Church of God, Abbot St. Front row (left to right): Florine Fulford or Fuller, Nona Harris, Dorothy Taylor or Walker. Back row (left to right): E. Hash or Nancy Hash, Prunty, Edna Nash (Temple of the Way Out Church?) or…

CS 098.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 097.jpg
Atwood’s capital view tour with unknown members of the Booker T. Washington Trade School

CS 093.2.jpg
Unknown award recognition

CS 093.1.jpg
Unknown award recognition

CS 092.2.jpg
Unknown children’s meal, possibly at Hunton YMCA Daycare

CS 092.1.jpg
Unknown children’s meal, possibly at Hunton YMCA Daycare

CS 091.5.jpg
Group portrait. From left to right: Nona Harris, Bessie Coles, Helen or Halle or Hall, unidentified, unidentified, Becky Hale

CS 090.4.jpg
Group portrait. Front row (left to right): Connie Johnson Hamlar, unidentified, unidentified, Gwendolyn Lawrence (Connie and Gwendolyn are sisters). Back row (left to right) : unidentified, Doris Elam, Nina Bolden, Baylice Cooper

CS 087.4.jpg
Pictured: Front row (left to right)--Ruth Lash, unidentified, Mary Curtis Steptoe, Kitty McCain, Middle row (left to right)--Elizabeth Snyder, Edna Prunty, next two unidentified, Back row--Sister Hall Martin, Prunty

CS 087.2.jpg
Group portrait

CS 086.jpg
Shriners group portrait

CS 085.5.jpg
Shriners group portrait. Envelope: Prints of groups made at Lodge Hall and YMCA

CS 085.4.jpg
Shriners group portrait. Envelope: Prints of groups made at Lodge Hall and YMCA

CS 085.1.jpg
Shriners group portrait. Envelope: Prints of groups made at Lodge Hall and YMCA

CS 084.4.jpg
Dr. Noel C. Taylor pictured left, Dr. Maynard H. Law pictured center.

CS 084.3.jpg
Dr. Maynard H. Law pictured left of the podium and Rev. Wright pictured at the podium.

CS 084.2.jpg
Dr. Maynard H. Law pictured right.

CS 084.1.jpg
Dr. Noel C. Taylor pictured.

CS 082.jpg
Unknown children’s church choir performance

CS 081.6.pdf
Interior of First Baptist Church. Envelope: Rev. Edwards

CS 081.5.jpg
Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 081.4.jpg
Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 081.3.jpg
Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 081.2.jpg
Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 081.1.jpg
Interior of First Baptist Church. Noel C Taylor pictured

CS 080.20.jpg
Unknown pageant. Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 080.17.jpg
Unknown pageant. Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 080.9.jpg
Unknown pageant. Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 080.6.jpg
Unknown pageant. Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 080.5.jpg
Unknown pageant. Interior of First Baptist Church.

CS 078.2.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 078.1.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 077.2.jpg
Unknown assembly, possibly debutant

CS 077.1.jpg
Unknown assembly, possibly debutant

CS 076.5.jpg
Unknown classroom portrait

CS 075.10.jpg
High Street Baptist Church Sanctuary Choir. Front row (left to right): Barbara Taylor, Francis Keene, Louise Prunty, next 5 unidentified, Nina Medley, Earl or Carl Woodlift Jr.. Middle row: Marilyn Curtis, unidentified, Helen Terry, Elise Scott,…

CS 075.3.jpg
High Street Baptist Church Sanctuary Choir. Front row (left to right): Barbara Taylor, Francis Keene, Louise Prunty, unidentified, Elsie Scott, unidentified, unidentified, Nina Medley, Bonnie Terry, Earl or Carl Woodlift Jr. Middle Row (left to…

CS 071.1.jpg
Freemasons group portrait. Front row (left to right): Matthew Banks, Melvin Anderson, James Stewart, unidentified, Paul Scott. Back row (left to right): O.W. Jone, Otho Wright, Elijah Williams, unidentified

CS 070.19.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.18.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.17.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.16.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.15.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.14.jpg
Unknown conference

CS 070.13.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.10.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.7.jpg
Left: George Harris, Center: unidentified, Right: Lawrence Hunter

CS 070.4.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.2.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 070.1.jpg
Unknown banquet

CS 069.1.jpg
Unknown school play or student performance

CS 068.1.jpg
Unknown school choir performance

CS 067.3.jpg
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Ceremony

CS 066.6.jpg
Unknown group portrait

CS 067.2.jpg
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Ceremony

CS 066.4.jpg
Unknown group portrait

CS 062.3.jpg
Unknown freemason portrait

CS 062.2.jpg
Unknown freemason portrait

CS 062.1 (fixed).jpg
Unknown freemason portrait

CS 060.3.jpg

CS 060.2.jpg
Unknown event

CS 060.1.jpg
Unknown event

CS 058.5.jpg
Group portrait. From left to right: Dorothy Taylor or Mrs. Fulford, Delia or Leila Bryant, unknown, Maxine Thomas (Dr. Reginald Shareef’s Mother), Mrs. Broady

CS 057.6.jpg
Harrison Elementary School faculty Halloween costume portrait

CS 057.5.jpg
Harrison Elementary School costume party

CS 057.4.jpg
Harrison Elementary School costume party

CS 057.1.jpg
Harrison Elementary School. Left: Maxine Foutz Thomas (?). Center: Marionette Shaw Sprouve

CS 056.5.jpg
Sorority event

CS 056.4.jpg
Sorority event

CS 056.1.jpg
Sorority group portrait. From left to right: Gloria Wingfield, Carolyn Kroger Patterson, Christine Logan Powell, Carolyn Murphy, Carolyn Law, Jean Whitten, Joyce Preston, Marilyn Spencer, Clara Boyo, Gloria Waddell, unknown, Juaniva Crowder, Clara…

CS 055.2.jpg
Unknown banquet portrait

CS 055.1.jpg
Unknown banquet portrait

CS 054.5.jpg
Recognition ceremony at Burrell Hospital. Pictured: Dr. George Moore shaking Dr. Henry Penn's hand and Attorney Lawrence speaking at the podium

CS 054.1.jpg
Recognition ceremony at Burell Hospital.

CS 053.2.jpg
Downing family portrait

CS 046.jpg
Group Portrait. From left to right front row : Evelyn Scott Pullen, Courtney (?) Neeley, Elaine Davis Stoval, Gloria Downing, Eloise Downing (or Law?), Baylese or Balise Spencer. From left to right back row: Constance Johnson Hamlar, Nina Charlton…

CS 026.3.jpg
Unknown portrait of a woman

Tags: ,

CS 026.2.jpg
Unknown portrait of a woman

Tags: ,

CS 026.1.jpg
Unknown portrait of a woman.

Tags: ,

CS 007.2.jpg
Unknown neighborhood portrait

CS 014.jpg
Salem Baptist Church service.

CS 007.1.jpg

CS 001.3.jpg
Teachers and Bus Org. 1957.. Envelope: Mrs. G. West Home Gertrude Preston West and Mrs. J Calloway Wells Ave. N.W. Front row left (second over): Hazel Hall, Front row center- left: Althea Calloway, Front row center: ? Broady (teacher), Front row…

VANv33n4-Supp.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv33n4.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv33n3.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv33n2.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv33n1.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv32n4.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv32n3.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv32n2.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

VANv32n1.pdf
Virginia Appalachian Notes was published quarterly by the Southwestern Virginia Genealogical Society.

GarnerGlenna.pdf
The Glenna Garner Collection is arranged into two series: Series I contains research compiled by family groups arranged alphabetically by surname; Series II contains records arranged alphabetically by document type. Series I focuses on Glenna…

FE305 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Greens and fairways at Roanoke Country Club. The clubhouse is just visible in the background.

FE304 Observation Tower.jpg
The first observation tower on Mill Mountain was constructed in 1910 and destroyed by a violent wind storm in 1914. It was replaced shortly thereafter by another observation tower, which burned in 1936.

FE303 Prospect Road.jpg
Mill Mountain’s Prospect Road, commonly called the Loop Road or Old Toll Road, still has the same basic design when it originated as a graded carriage road in 1891. Today, the road is part of the Roanoke Valley’s greenway system within Mill Mountain…

FE302 Melrose Baseball.jpg
Melrose Athletic Club baseball team and mascot.

FE301 Market Square.jpg
In the days before trucks were ubiquitous, farmers brought their goods to the City Market in buckboards, carts, and Conestoga wagons.

FE300 Roanoke Auditorium.jpg
Roanoke Auditorium was located along Wells Avenue NE, between Williamson Road and 2nd Street. Built in 1916, it was purchased in 1947 by the American Legion and thence called the American Legion Auditorium. It served the city well as an all-purpose…

FE299 Buena Vista.jpg
Buena Vista was contructed by Colonel George P. Tayloe around 1840.

FE298 Coulter Building.jpg
Built in 1926, the Coulter Building is located at 601 S. Jefferson Street.

FE297 Jackson Ferry Shot Tower.jpg
Jackson Ferry Shot Tower in Wythe County. The tower is 75 feet tall and was used for manufacturing lead shot. Construction began shortly after the American Revolution and was completed in 1802. The shot tower is now Shot Tower State Park.

FE296 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building and Market Square.

FE295 People's Bank.jpg
People's Bank building located at 201 S. Pollard Street in Vinton.

FE294 Shenandoah Building.jpg
The Shenandoah Building is located at 305 1st Street.

FE293 Jefferson Apartments.jpg
The Jefferson Apartments, formerly located at 820 S. Jefferson Street. This view looks west on Mountain Avenue.

FE292 Crystal Spring.jpg
A view of Crystal Spring Park, pump house, and reservoir. Crystal Spring was one of the city's earliest landscaped parks. It was designed and managed by Roanoke Gas and Water Works.

FE291 School Administration.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE290 City Hotel.jpg
City Hotel was built in 1886 on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Salem Avenue.

FE289 Medical Arts Building.jpg
Located at 30 Franklin Road, the Professional (or Medical) Arts Building was built in 1929.

FE288 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE287 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE286 Roanoke Auditorium.jpg
Roanoke Auditorium was located along Wells Avenue NE, between Williamson Road and 2nd Street. Built in 1916, it was purchased in 1947 by the American Legion and thence called the American Legion Auditorium. It served the city well as an all-purpose…

FE285 Colonial Bank Building.jpg
Colonial National Bank building, located at 202 S. Jefferson Street.

FE284 Roanoke Lodge #197.jpg
Roanoke Lodge #197 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The lodge stood on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road

FE283 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE281 Phelps & Armistead.jpg
Phelps & Armistead Furniture, formerly located at 312 2nd Street SW. The building would later be occupied by Grand Piano.

FE280 Hammond Printing.jpg
Hammond's Printing and Litho Works, formerly located on the southeast corner of Jefferson Street and Luck Avenue,

FE279 McBain Building.jpg
The McBain building, located at 34 Campbell Avenue.

FE278 Prospect Road.jpg
Mill Mountain’s Prospect Road, commonly called the Loop Road or Old Toll Road, still has the same basic design when it originated as a graded carriage road in 1891. Today, the road is part of the Roanoke Valley’s greenway system within Mill Mountain…

FE276 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building was built in 1915.

FE275 Victory Stadium.jpg
Athletic field and grandstands at Victory Stadium. The stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

FE274 Victory Stadium.jpg
Athletic field and grandstands at Victory Stadium. The stadium was built in 1942 and razed in 2006.

FE273 Market Building.jpg
The Market Building appears largely unchanged today from when it was built in 1922.

FE272 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE271 Roanoke Public Warehouse.jpg
Roanoke Public Warehouse was located at 403 Salem Avenue.

FE270 Main Street.jpg
Aerial viewing showing Main Street in Salem near the intersection with Union Street and Academy Street.

FE269 Roanoke Knitting Mills.jpg
Roanoke Knitting Mills began operations in 1903 at 306 Elm Avenue SE. It closed by 1909.

FE268 Lorraine Apartments.jpg
Shown under construction are the Lorraine Apartments, located at 1221 S. Jefferson Street. This view shows the rear of the building from Maple Avenue SW.

FE267 Williamson Building.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo it was occupied by the Sportsman, Deb Fashions, Thom McCann Shoes. The building was razed in 1977.

FE266 Lorraine Apartments.jpg
Shown under construction are the Lorraine Apartments, located at 1221 S. Jefferson Street.

FE265 Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Mill Mountain showing a relatively undeveloped foreground.

FE263 Day and Night Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, Day & Night Bank in this photograph and State & City Bank.

FE261 Christ Episcopal.jpg
Christ Episcopal Church, located at 1101 Franklin Road SW.

FE260 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the 300 block.

FE258 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from Salem Avenue.

FE257 Lee Junior High.jpg
Lee Junior High School was built in 1912 at the intersection of Franklin Road and 2nd Street SW. It was razed in 1973 to clear the site for construction of the Richard H. Poff Federal Building.

FE256 Stone Printing.jpg
Stone Printing Company began doing business at this location in 1891. The stone veneer was added to the building, located at 116 N. Jefferson Street, in 1907.

FE255 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed.

FE250 Police Car.jpg
Parked in front of the city jail, is this blue and white, fifty horsepower Cadillac patrol wagon. It could carry as many as eight prisoners in its enclosed compartment, while the policeman had to ride exposed to the elements.

FE241 Blue Ridge Springs.jpg
Blue Ridge Springs was one of a number of summer resorts in Southwestern Virginia. It boasted the healing powers of dyspepsia in its natural spring. Like many resorts of its kind, Blue Ridge Springs fell into disrepair during the Great Depression. …

FE239 Grandin Road.jpg
Looking northeast on Grandin Road at the intersection with Shirley Avenue.

FE236 N&W Shops.jpg
Aerial view of Norfolk & Western east end shops.

FE226 Maiden Lane.jpg
Looking west from the 1900 block of Maiden Lane. The neighborhood is still under development at the time of this photograph.

FE225b Maiden Lane.jpg
Looking east on the 2000 block of Maiden Lane SW. The neighborhood is still under development at the time this photograph was taken.

FE225a Westover Avenue.jpg
Looking east on the 2000 block of Westover Avenue SW. The neighborhood is still under development at the time of this photograph.

FE224 Grandin Road.jpg
Looking south on Grandin Road from the 1700 block.

FE222 Primitive Dentistry.jpg
Onlookers in Ballyhack watch as the seated gentleman in this photograph is having a tooth extracted by the lady in front of him, while the one behind him holds his head still.

FE214 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue.

FE211 Witten-Martin Furniture.jpg
Located at 213 1st Street SW, the Masonic temple was constructed in 1911. For many years, the first floor was occupied by various retail establishments, as evidenced in this photograph when Witten-Martin Furniture Company occupied the space.

FE208 Crockett Springs.jpg
Crockett Springs Resort, near Shawsville, was one of a number of summer resorts in Southwestern Virginia that boasted the healing powers of its spring waters. The resort opened in 1889 and closed shortly before 1940. The hotel was razed in 1966.

FE206 Mountain Lake.jpg
Canoers on Mountain Lake. The second Mountain Lake Lodge, built in 1875, can be seen in the distance. The current stone lodge replaced this structure in 1936.

FE205 Police Switchboard.jpg
Switchboard at Police headquarters. Sargeant Dick Arnold uses the phone as motorcycle officer John Lemon looks on.

FE203 Virginia College.jpg
The Virginia College for Young Women was located in the South Roanoke neighborhood at the end of Rosalind Avenue. The college closed in 1933.

FE202 Blue Ridge Springs.jpg
Blue Ridge Springs was one of a number of summer resorts in Southwestern Virginia. It boasted the healing powers of dyspepsia in its natural spring. Like many resorts of its kind, Blue Ridge Springs fell into disrepair during the Great Depression. …

FE201 State & City Building.jpg
State & City Building, located at 102 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE200 WDBJ Radio.jpg
Virginia's second commercial radio station, WDBJ-AM, had been broadcasting for twelve and a half years when it moved to its new quarters at 124 Kirk Avenue SW in January 1937.

FE199 Terra Alta.jpg
"Terra Alta" located at 1348 Prospect Road SE.

FE198 Mountain Trust Bank.jpg
The temporary quarters of Mountain Trust Bank, formerly located at 34 W. Church Avenue.

FE196 Roanoke Baseball.jpg
Roanoke Baseball Team. Front row, left to right: Dusty Coons, ? Wrigley, ? Lynch; middle row, L to R: unidentfied, unidentfied, Pop Tate (manager), G. McGann, ? Hill; back row, L to R: Ed McGinnis, unidentified, unidentified, and ? Williams.

FE195 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Lyle's Drugstore occupied the right half of this building, located at 101 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE189 Fenton China.jpg
Fenton China and House Furniture, formerly located at 306 S. Jefferson Street.

FE188 Burrell Memorial.jpg
Roanoke's first African American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

FE185 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east from the 100 block of Campbell Avenue.

FE182 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street from the Colonial Bank building.

FE178 Elmwood Park.jpg
A scene in Elmwood Park.

FE175 Roanoke High School.jpg
Roanoke High School was built in 1898 on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and 3rd Street SW. It became the school administration building in 1924 after Jefferson High School opened. It was razed in 1968 for construction of the Municipal…

FE171 Roanoke Photo Finishing.jpg
An interior view of Roanoke Photo Finishing Company with George Davis behind counter.

FE162 N&W General Offices.jpg
Completed in 1883 by the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, the general office building housed the offices for Norfolk & Western after they were moved from Lynchburg. The building was located on the northwest corner of Jefferson Street and Shenandoah…

FE159 Mountain View.jpg
Mountain View, a 40 room elegant turn-of-the-century mansion, was built in 1907 by Junius B. Fishburn. Mr. Fishburn donated Mountain View to the City in 1955 with the stipulation that it be used solely and exclusively for public recreation purposes.…

FE157 Ole Monterey Golf Course.jpg
Built in 1920, Ole Monterey Golf Course is the second oldest golf course in the City of Roanoke.

FE156 Crystal Spring Laundry.jpg
Crystal Spring Laundry was located at 720 Franklin Road SW.

FE153 Ole Monterey Golf Course.jpg
Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Old Country Club Road NW.

FE151 Wasena Elementary.jpg
Wasena Elementary School is located at 1125 Sherwood Avenue SW.

FE150 Jefferson High.jpg
Originally constructed in 1922, Jefferson High School was Roanoke's largest high school for half a century.

FE147 State & City Bank.jpg
Built in 1905, the building located at 116 Campbell Avenue SW was home to two banks in its early years, State & City Bank in this photograph and Day & Night Bank.

FE146 Roanoke Hospital.jpg
Roanoke Hospital was built in 1893 with the aid of Norfolk & Western and the Roanoke Gas and Water Company. Carilion Roanoke Memorial now occupies the site of the old hospital.

FE144 Highland Park Elementary.jpg
Built in 1920, Highland Park Elementary School is located at 1212 5th Street SW.

FE142 Roanoke Printing Company.jpg
Roanoke Printing Company occupies the Bolling Building, formerly located on the southwest corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street SW.

FE140 Stonewall Jackson Middle.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School located at 1004 Montrose Avenue SE. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

FE139 Lucy Addison High.jpg
Lucy Addison High School opened in 1928. Located at 40 Douglass Avenue NW, the building now houses Roanoke City Public Schools Administrative Offices.

FE138 Jamison School.jpg
Jamison Elementary School was located on the southwest corner of Jamison Avenue and 14th Street SE. The school was built in 1916 and razed in 1975.

FE137 Stonewall Jackson Middle.jpg
Stonewall Jackson Middle School located at 1004 Montrose Avenue SE shortly after completion. The school's name was changed to John P. Fishwick Middle School in 2018.

FE136 Morningside Elementary.jpg
Morningside Elementary School, located at 1716 Wilson Street SE.

FE131 Boggs & Havnaer.jpg
Boggs & Havnaer Laundry and Dry Cleaning supplies and equipment, formerly located at 912 3 1/2 Street SE.

FE130 Morice Twine Mill.jpg
The Morice (formerly Roanoke) Twine Mill in Norwich. Built to house the Norwich Lock Company in 1891, the lock company was a short-lived enterprise. In 1901, the Roanoke Cotton Mill moved into the abandoned building.

FE128 Sherwood Forest.jpg
Entrance to Sherwood Forest subdivision, located at Yellow Mountain Road and Nottingham Road.

FE126 Harrison School.jpg
The Harrison School was completed in 1916. Two years later, the first high school classes for African American students began at Harrison School. Three students graduated in 1924, due largely to the persistence of Harrison's principal, Lucy…

FE124 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

FE123 Ponce de Leon.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE121 Belmont Elementary.jpg
Belmont Elementary School was located on Dale Avenue in southeast Roanoke. The school was built in 1891 and remained in operation until 1974 when Fallon Park Elementary School was completed.

FE120 N&W General Offices.jpg
Norfolk & Western General Offices, located at 8 N. Jefferson Street, replaced the old General Offices after they were destroyed by fire in 1896. This building would be used in this capacity until 1932 when the new office building was completed.

FE117 Salvation Army Hotel.jpg
Salvation Army Hotel, formerly located at 201 2nd Street SW.

FE116 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Roanoke Country Club, located at 3360 Old Country Club Road NW, shortly after completion of the clubhouse.

FE112 First Presbyterian.jpg
First Presbyterian Church, located at 2101 Jefferson Street SW.

FE111 Hancock-Clay.jpg
In the Coulter Building, the Hancock-Clay Company opened a department store in 1926. This interior view shows some of the dry goods and notions sold by Hancock-Clay. The firm became bankrupt in the early 1930s.

FE109 2nd VA Company G.jpg
Spanish-American War United States Veterans, Company G, 2nd Virginia Volunteers, Dewey Mess. Pictured are : H.H. Zink, E.M. Carr, Pat Sullivan, A.T. Day, F.M. Moore, C.W. Rolen, J.T. Donnelly, G.D. Black, J.L. Bonavita, G.W. Misel, R.L. Tremain,…

FE107 Roanoke Bankers.jpg
Group portrait of Roanoke bankers in front of the Terry Building.

FE103 Natural Tunnel.jpg
Natural Tunnel in Scott County. The massive naturally formed cave is so large, it is used as a railroad tunnel.

FE098 Pythian Castle Hall.jpg
Groundbreaking for Pythian Castle Hall, Osceola Lodge No. 47 on Franklin Road. Shown are George Davis, Stuart A. Barbour, Frank N. Smith, and Charles D. Keffer.

FE094 Old 97.jpg
The wreck of the "Old 97" was an American rail disaster involving the Southern Railway mail train, officially known as the Fast Mail, while en route from Monroe, Virginia, to Spencer, North Carolina, on September 27, 1903. Due to excessive speed in…

FE093 Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Mill Mountain. Building in foreground was the Adams, Payne, Gleaves, Livery Stable No. 2. Abandoned by the time of this photograph, it is used to promote the purchase of war bonds.

FE092 Armistead Neal House.jpg
Armistead Neal tavern and boarding house was located on Shenandoah Avenue. For many years, it served the town of Big Lick as a hotel.

FE091 Roanoke Country Club.jpg
Golf Course at Roanoke Country Club.

FE090 Red Men's Band.jpg
Hiawatha Tribe Number 66, Red Men's Band at Hotel Roanoke.

FE089 Old 97.jpg
The wreck of the "Old 97" was an American rail disaster involving the Southern Railway mail train, officially known as the Fast Mail, while en route from Monroe, Virginia, to Spencer, North Carolina, on September 27, 1903. Due to excessive speed in…

FE088 Roanoke Machine Shop Band.jpg
Led by the Roanoke Machine Works band, the funeral procession of William Nolty winds slowly past "Brick Row" on E. Campbell Avenue. "Brick Row" was built as a low-rent housing area for mostly less skilled workers at Roanoke Machine Works. The…

FE086 Old 97.jpg
The wreck of the "Old 97" was an American rail disaster involving the Southern Railway mail train, officially known as the Fast Mail, while en route from Monroe, Virginia, to Spencer, North Carolina, on September 27, 1903. Due to excessive speed in…

FE085 Webster Brick.jpg
Webster Brick Company (now General Shale), located at 2351 Webster Road.

FE084 Muse Family.jpg
Calvin and Harriet Muse stand with their sons, George and Willie, after the family is reunited in 1927. George and Willie's story is detailed in 'Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother's Quest' by Beth Macy.

FE083 Natural Bridge Hotel.jpg
The original Natural Bridge Hotel. The hotel burned in 1963 and was replaced by the current hotel in 1964.

FE082 Almshouse.jpg
The Almshouse or "poor house" was built in 1925. The building is now part of Virginia Western Community College.

FE081 Carvins Cove.jpg
Waterfall at Carvins Cove.

FE080 Poages Mill.jpg
Close-up view of Poage's Mill waterwheel on Back Creek.

FE079 RHS Gymnasts.jpg
Roanoke High School gymnasts. Caption reads, "Winners Intermediate Gym Contest, '07-'08".

FE075 Alleghany Institute Students.jpg
Group portrait of students and faculty of the Alleghany Institute. Front row, left ot right: Ott Coleman, Jack Airheart, William ?; back row, left to right: B.S. Brooke, Eugene Turner, Ernest B. Fishburn, Billy Malone, D. Thomas Taylor, Romeo…

FE073 Jefferson High School.jpg
Jefferson High School

FE072 Jefferson Hospital.jpg
Jefferson Hospital, founded in 1907 by Dr. Hugh Trout, was the predecessor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. Formerly located at 1313 Franklin Road SW, the hospital closed in 1967 and was later razed. The two-story porches no longer exist…

FE071 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The second Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW.

FE069 Ponce de Leon Hotel.jpg
The original Ponce de Leon Hotel located at 131 Campbell Avenue SW. The elegant verandas are gone by the time this photograph was taken. In December 1930, the building was totally destroyed by fire, killing one resident and injuring others. It was…

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE066 Observation Tower.jpg
The second observation tower once atop Mill Mountain. The first observation tower was destroyed in a wind storm in 1914. This tower replaced it until 1936, when it was destroyed by fire. George Davis at left.

FE065 WDBJ.jpg
WDBJ station at its third location on the corner of Colonial Avenue and Brandon Avenue.

FE064 View from Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Roanoke from Mill Mountain with the Riverland neighborhood in the foreground.

FE062 Natural Bridge Hotel.jpg
The original Natural Bridge Hotel. The hotel burned in 1963 and was replaced by the current hotel in 1964.

FE061 UCT Carnival.jpg
Spectators watch the highwire act, part of the Order of United Commercial Travelers of American carnival.

FE058 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Crowds gather along Campbell Avenue to watch the Armistice Day Parade.

FE057 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE056 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street from the Colonial National Bank building.

FE055 Lewis-Gale.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. J.N. Lewis. The original hospital stood at the northwest corner of 3rd Street and Luck Avenue.

FE054 Dog Mouth Fountain.jpg
Th Dog Mouth Fountain stands on the northwest corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street. Legend has it that those who drink from the fountain will always return to Roanoke.

FE052 Mill Mountain.jpg
A view of Mill Mountain. Roanoke Hospital, the Mill Mountain Incline, and the observation tower are all visible.

FE050 Patrick Henry Hotel.jpg
Patrick Henry Hotel

FE049 1st Street.jpg
Looking north on 1st Street from Church Avenue.

FE048 FNEB.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building is located at 201 S. Jefferson Street.

FE047 Market Building.jpg
Roanoke's first Market Building. Built in 1886, it was replaced by the current Market Building in 1922.

FE046 Patrick Henry Lobby.jpg
Interior view of the Patrick Henry Hotel lobby.

FE045 Elmwood Pond.jpg
The pond once in Elmwood Park.

FE044 Civil War Veterans.jpg
Civil War veterans reunion at Hotel Roanoke.

FE041 Almshouse.jpg
The Almshouse or "poor house" was built in 1925. The building is now part of Virginia Western Community College.

FE038 Mill Mountain Incline.jpg
Mill Mountain Incline.

FE037 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking north on Jefferson Street.

FE036 Hotel Roanoke.jpg
Hotel Roanoke

FE034 Horton Livery.jpg
Horton and Roberts Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (now 1st Street SW) just north of the northeast corner of Henry Street and Church Avenue.

FE033 Big Lick Livery.jpg
In 1898, the Big Lick Livery Stable stood on Henry Street (1st Street SW) just north of Roanoke's first federally funded post office (located on the NE corner of Henry (1st) Street and Church Avenue) which can be seen in the background. In 1890 this…

FE032 Post Office.jpg
Roanoke's second federally funded post office was constructed on the same site as the first, the corner of Church Avenue and 1st Street. It was built in 1914 and replaced in 1933.

FE028 Fire Ladder.jpg
Firemen pose on a ladder pulled by horses. The building in the background was on the corner of 1st Street and Church Avenue.

FE027 Title Guarantee.jpg
Title Guarantee Trust and Savings Bank, formerly located at 34 Church Avenue SW.

FE024 Jefferson Street.jpg
Looking south on Jefferson Street. American Theatre on right.

FE023 Big Lick Hotel.jpg
Formerly located on the southwest corner of Williamson Road and Salem Avenue, the Big Lick Hotel would go through several iterations, including a portion of the Shenandoah Hotel, the Lee Hotel and Hotel Earle. The building was gutted by fire in 1991…

FE022 Church and Jefferson.jpg
Intersection showing the Williamson Building on the northwest corner of Church Avenue and Jefferson Street. At the time of this photo, the building housed T.L. Deyerle Company. It would later be home to the Sportsman. The building was razed in…

FE019 Lakeside.jpg
Lakeside Amusement Park was built in 1920 on Mason's Creek. The "lake" seen here was the area's first public swimming pool, complete with sand beach. Also visible is the "Thriller" rollercoaster and the bumper car pavilion.

FE017 Mountain Trust.jpg
Mountain Trust Bank was located in the Strickland Building at 302 S. Jefferson Street.

FE015 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building from 2nd Street.

FE014 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking west on Campbell Avenue. The Rialto Theatre is visible at left.

FE013 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies. Tenants in this photo include A&P…

FE012 Alleghany Institute Students.jpg
Group portrait of Alleghany Institute students. Individuals unidentifed.

FE011 McGuire Building.jpg
The McGuire Building, located at 1 Market Square, was built in 1914 and housed W. E. McGuire’s Farmers’ Supply Co. that sold buggies, wagons, fertilizer, seed, and other farm-related equipment and supplies.

FE010 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue toward the Market Building from the roof of the Colonial American National Bank building.

FE009 Union Lunch.jpg
Union Lunch, formerly located in the area where the Market Building is today.

FE007 Armistice Day Parade.jpg
A contingent of veterans march in the Armistice Day Parade on Campbell Avenue.

FE006 JE Bernards.jpg
J.E. Bernard's Machine Shop, formerly located at 109-111 Church Avenue SW. Roanoke Automobile Company is located next door, specializing in the sale of Ramblers.

FE005 Carolina Cotton Mills.jpg
Carolina Cotton and Woolen Mills, formerly located at 505 6th Street SW.

FE003 Grand Piano.jpg
Grand Piano Furniture was located at 312 2nd Street SW.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2