Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (74 total)

RNRV39.jpg
Auto Tire Shop, formerly located at 501 2nd Street SW.

FE281 Phelps & Armistead.jpg
Phelps & Armistead Furniture, formerly located at 312 2nd Street SW. The building would later be occupied by Grand Piano.

FE257 Lee Junior High.jpg
Lee Junior High School was built in 1912 at the intersection of Franklin Road and 2nd Street SW. It was razed in 1973 to clear the site for construction of the Richard H. Poff Federal Building.

FE124 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

FE117 Salvation Army Hotel.jpg
Salvation Army Hotel, formerly located at 201 2nd Street SW.

FE068 Greene Memorial.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photograph, a crowd is gathered to watch as the new La France Fire Engine was hauled to the corner to see if it could throw water as high as the steeple…

FE015 Municipal Building.jpg
The Municipal Building from 2nd Street.

FE003 Grand Piano.jpg
Grand Piano Furniture was located at 312 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.22 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Creasy8 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue at 2nd Street. The old YMCA building is seen on the left and Greene Memorial United Methodist on the right.

Davis 22.21 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 22.2 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 44.412 RT Building.jpg
The Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW. Although it has gone through changes over the years, the building is still used by the Times.

Davis 44.49 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.48 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.47 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.45 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.43 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.41 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis 44.4 RT Construction.jpg
Construction of the Roanoke Times & World News building located at the corner of 2nd Street and Salem Avenue SW.

Davis2 48.773 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Merchandise inside Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 48.772 Top Value Stamps.jpg
Top Value Stamps, formerly located at 318 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 43.862 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW

Davis2 43.861 SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW. View is looking north.

Davis2 43.86a SWVA Savings & Loan.jpg
Southwest Virginia Savings & Loan, formerly located at 306 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-2.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

Davis2 39 1130 2nd Street-1.jpg
Home located at 1130 2nd Street SW.

Davis GL 98 Pitzer Transfer.jpg
Pitzer Transfer Storage Warehouse, formerly located at the corner of Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis GL 43 Church Avenue.jpg
View of the intersection of Church Avenue and Second Street SW with the sign for the YMCA on the right.

Davis GL 20 Salem Avenue.tif
View of Salem Avenue east from Second Street, SW. Buildings lines street with painted advertisements.

Davis GL 13 Church Avenue.jpg
View of Church Avenue looking east from Commerce Street (now 2nd Street). Greene Memorial UMC visible on right, old YMCA visible on left.

UC 24 Hospital Computer Service.jpg
Hospital Computer Service, formerly located at 1147 2nd Street.

CPC 99 Madison and 2nd.jpg
East side of 2nd Street NE and Madison Avenue. I-581 runs through this area today.

CPC 98 Madison Avenue.jpg
Madison Avenue east from 2nd Street NE. I581 runs through this area today.

CPC 47 2nd Street.jpg
2nd Street NE at the intersection of Lick Run.

CPC 42 2nd Street.jpg
A view of 2nd Street NE between Walker Avenue and Rutherford Avenue.

CPC 35 2nd and Rutherford.jpg
Intersection of 2nd Street and Rutherford Avenue NE.

CPC 29 2nd Street.jpg
2nd Street NE at Lick Run.

CPC 27 Walker Avenue.jpg
View of Walker Avenue at the intersection with 2nd Street NE.

CPC 26 2nd Street.jpg
Unidentified children at Lick Run along 2nd Street NE.

CPC 2 SW from YMCA.jpg
Looking southwest from the top of the YMCA building on 2nd Street. Lee Junior High School is visible in the left background.

CPC 13 2nd Street.jpg
Sign at intersection of 2nd Street NE and unknown cross street.

Davis2 13.13 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
The City of Roanoke's first courthouse and jail, formerly located at 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

Davis 65.91 Fire on Campbell.jpg
The Ponce de Leon Hotel caught fire on 28 December 1928. All nine Roanoke engines and two ladder trucks were on the scene, including a hose truck from Vinton and an engine from Salem. The original 5 story portion of the hotel was destroyed and would…

Davis 622 Commerce Street School.jpg
Students of Commerce Street School. Commerce Street School or First Ward School stood at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street (Commerce). The school was built in 1890 and razed in 1929 to make way for the post office.

Davis 5.4 Franklin Road.jpg
An aerial view of Franklin Road at 1st and 2nd Street. The building in the upper right corner is Lee Junior High School, which was razed to build the Poff Federal Building.

Davis 42.21 Stone Printing Company.jpg
The first location of Stone Printing Company on 2nd Street. The company remained in this building until it moved into 116 N. Jefferson Street in 1908. Men unidentified.

Davis 28.11 St. Marks Lutheran.jpg
The first St. Marks Lutheran Church, once located on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Though this building no longer stands, Greene Memorial United Methodist Church is not located on the site.

Davis 24.13 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. Built in 1874, the church was used by Trinity United Methodist when St. John's built its new structure on Jefferson Street. In 1901, Trinity moved…

Davis 24.12 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
The old St. John's Episcopal Church was once located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. In this photo, the vacant building's lawn is being used for billboards. The signs include: Jamison's Chain Grocery Stores, Colonial National Bank,…

Davis 24.1 St Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Espiscopal Church at its Church Avenue and 2nd Street location. The building was not being used by the church at the time this photo was taken. General Outdoor Adventure Co. was using the building.

Davis 2.22 J. Kefauver & Son's Repository.jpg
The Kafauver Repository was a large warehouse built on the site of the present Municipal Building between 1874 and 1878 and faced Commerce St. It was known as Kefauver's Folly in that Kefauver & Son originated the Central Manufacturing Company and…

Davis 14.42 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of 2nd Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. The photo…

Davis 14.41 Lewis-Gale Hospital.jpg
Lewis-Gale Hospital was built in 1909 as a partnership between Dr. Sparrell Gale and Dr. JN Lewis. The original hospital stood at the corner of Second Street and Luck Avenue. This photo was taken before the completion of the 1938 addition. This…

Davis 13.11 Courthouse and Jail.jpg
Courthouse and jail on Campbell Avenue and 2nd Street.

Davis 11.4 Lee Junior High.jpg
Lee Junior High School, formerly located at Franklin Road and 2nd Street.

Davis 100 General Outdoor Advertising.jpg
General Outdoor Advertising Company was located in the old St. John's Episcopal Church on the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd Street. The church is hardly visible due to the billboard display surrounding it.

Davis 1.253 Views NW corner of Day & 2nd SW.jpg
The northwest corner of 2nd Street and Day Avenue.

RNC 63 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 64 Commerce Street School Site.jpg
A nearly gone Commerce Street or First Ward School. The school stood at Church Avenue and 2nd Street and was razed to make way for the post office.

RNC 40 Commerce Street School.jpg
Commerce Street School, also called First Ward School, was located at the corner of Church Avenue and 2nd (Commerce) Street. Built in 1890, it was razed in 1929 to make room for the post office.

RNC 51 Municipal Building.jpg
A view of the municipal building from the YMCA.

RNC 146 Municipal Building.jpg
View of the Municipal Building from 2nd Street and Campbell Avenue.

RNC 5 Mick or Mack.jpg
Mick or Mack, formerly located at 310 2nd Street.

RNC 84 Gregory Avenue.jpg
Gregory Avenue at the intersection with 2nd Street NE.

RNC 139 Commerce Street School.jpg
Demolition of the Commerce Street School, also known as the First Ward School.

RNC 52 Church Avenue.jpg
Commerce Street School being razed to make room for the post office. Greene Memorial United Methodist Church can be seen in background.

RNC 60 Church Avenue.jpg
Demolition of St. John's Episcopal and a house on Church Avenue to make way for the post office.

RNC 132 Church and 2nd.jpg
Buildings once located at 2nd Street and Church Avenue where the Commonwealth Building stands today.

RNC 66 2nd Street.jpg
Looking north on 2nd Street NE at the intersection with Patton Avenue.

RNC 130 2nd Street.jpg
Looking north on 2nd Street NE.

RNC 72 2nd Street.jpg
Looking north on 2nd Street just beyond Patton Avenue..

RNC 65 2nd Street.jpg
Looking north on 2nd Street NE. Lick Run is the stream at right. Extreme right is the location of I581.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2